• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

Wanted something a bit more snack sized in length after playing MGSV, Witcher 3, Pillars Of Eternity and Wasteland 2 (with Zombi in between) so I bought Undertale. Can't wait to play it!

Yeah I'm thinking I'll play some Life is Strange after Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3, before I start with MGSV or Fallout 4. I'll have to try and get some Wolfenstein Old Blood in there somewhere also.XD

Yeah I'm thinking I'll play some Life is Strange after Pillars of Eternity and Witcher 3, before I start with MGSV or Fallout 4. I'll have to try and get some Wolfenstein Old Blood in there somewhere also.XD

Planning to play LoS EP5 before Fallout 4 too (and completing rest of MGSV)

Old Blood is sitting at 1 hour played too :(

Jawmuncher

PG is whatever they want to be, they're basically Clover, like okami was a really competent zelda clone, they just decided they should focus on really linear action games with fun combat systems now

I wish they'd do another game that's close to okami but with challenging combat tho

I just want to see them do something tonally different at this point. I hope that the Nier game they're working on is a bit more reserved. I would like at least one game that isn't "Look how over the top all of this is" from them. I'm not gonna knock them for making those games since if it's good it's good. But still that is something I want to see.

Anteater

I just want to see them do something tonally different at this point. I hope that the Nier game they're working on is a bit more reserved. I would like at least one game that isn't "Look how over the top all of this is" from them. I'm not gonna knock them for making those games since if it's good it's good. But still that is something I want to see.

nier is most likely will be just nier with fun action

it feels like to me they're just making whatever they're told to make at this point outside of kamiya's games

Jawmuncher

nier is most likely will be just nier with fun action

it feels like to me they're just making whatever they're told to make at this point outside of kamiya's games

Which if it is just that it should be fine. Since nier wasn't really over the top. At least not on the scale of PG fare.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Trying to play Dark Souls. Man, even with DSFix performance goes from better than the PS3 version to much worse. I guess I should mess around with the settings a bit.
Weird, I beat the game twice rendering at 4K internal and only dropped below 30 at bonfires. Must be an issue on your end.

Corpekata

Banned
Nier features a woman covered in bandages and a nightie with slits in it as her main outfit that cusses like a sailor and a talking book.

If anything Platinum will probably be too timid.

zkylon

zkylewd
nier is so much about the world building and the small little poignant moments. there's so much of that game in the vignette sidequests and in the details of how the music and the weird sections work, i think there's a subtlety to nier that's probably out of platinum's reach. to be fair, there was a lot of that in bayonetta too, but you know, in a very much different and more outlandish direction

like, platinum is super talented for sure, but they're not such a great fit, and it'll depend mostly on how much creative direction there is from the original nier devs vs platinum

we'll see

Nier features a woman covered in bandages and a nightie with slits in it as her main outfit that cusses like a sailor and a talking book.

If anything Platinum will probably be too timid.
kaine's visual design is probably the worst thing in that game

the cursing is dumb too

zkylon

zkylewd
i just think it cheapens her character and just looks dumb

i'm not entirely opposed to dumb designs -i love the hilariously dumb flower in the eye thing in drakengard 3- but kaine is dumb in a very boring way

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
i just think it cheapens her character and just looks dumb

best

giphy.gif

Hektor

At least kaine got a legitamite reason to wear that imho,
since she wants to be seen as a woman so desperately.

Are you telling me Kaines design didnt made you ashamed of your words and deeds?

Anteater

Are you telling me Kaines design didnt made you ashamed of your words and deeds?

nah it's that everyone in the village don't view her as a woman and more of a creep, and kaine's relationship with her grandma (her grandma viewed her as a girl) has more to do with her decision about her own gender than her own

zkylon

zkylewd
well maybe the design could be better, it's still silly "fan service" I agree although I don't really pay much attention to that sort of stuff, I feel like her costume is just a "in your face" sorta costume
that's all i'm saying, it could be better

that's just not a great comparison cos kill la kill actually makes fun of/celebrates fan service as a core theme of the show. the entire series revolves around it, and characters actually acknowledge how dumb they look which is used for humor and just overall fun.

kaine's character could've been fully explored without resorting to fan service, while kill la kill couldn't, that's the main difference for me. kill la kill isn't doing like deep srs character drama introspection stuff, kill la kill is just having fun and being playful. it's not the same thing at all

also i duno, i think the designs in kill la kill are pretty badass, i'm not a fan of the kamui mode outfits for ryuko and satsuki but outside of that i think the show just looks fucking cool

while kaine.... ehh... i think she looks dumb

it's less of a reason and more of an excuse for the fan service. it's like quiet or whatever, sure, there's a "reason", but it's such a weak excuse. her character is great, i believe she deserves better. i may not remember the story 100% so maybe i'm not correct about this, but i feel like
the whole gender thing is barely mentioned in the game. so it also feels like the reason is just an excuse because the game doesn't really gets really deep into gender issues for it to matter. i feel like her being uncomfortable with herself is the general feeling the game really achieves, which is great, but i don't think the gender stuff gets enough screentime or development for it to even be in it. like, it could've just been anything else. so i feel like it's a really bad excuse.
again, haven't played nier in a while, so might be off about the spoilertagged part, i know i've been mistaken about it before so feel free to call me out on that. but like i said before, nier isn't a game that needed fan service in it and that's about it

also imo it just looks bad, i just think it's ugly. i don't mind sexy outfits, i just think hers is lame

also want to mention that despite that criticism i absolutely love that game and it's one of my favorite games of recent years, and in particular because of its story and characters. i just think kaine got robbed of a better visual design

The gender discussion shows up in the second playthrough if I remember right, and it makes you read an entire short story as you play the game but it's never made clear exactly although if you have any reading comprehension you'll know what they're trying to convey.

Like every other game though the reason for the fan service is nonsense, although I don't remember it being as hilarious as MGS V trying to excuse Quiet's outfit with magic pseudoscience.

Anteater

it's been a while but second playthrough tells you more about kaine's view on her gender and relationship with her grandma and how her grandma viewed kaine as a girl, the whole "oh you have to wear less clothes" was just an excuse, but kaine being an outcast wearing that stuff really works well for me because like fuck those dudes that were bullying her.

Hektor

it's less of a reason and more of an excuse for the fan service. it's like quiet or whatever, sure, there's a "reason", but it's such a weak excuse. her character is great, i believe she deserves better. i may not remember the story 100% so maybe i'm not correct about this, but i feel like
the whole gender thing is barely mentioned in the game. so it also feels like the reason is just an excuse because the game doesn't really gets really deep into gender issues for it to matter. i feel like her being uncomfortable with herself is the general feeling the game really achieves, which is great, but i don't think the gender stuff gets enough screentime or development for it to even be in it. like, it could've just been anything else. so i feel like it's a really bad excuse.
again, haven't played nier in a while, so might be off about the spoilertagged part, i know i've been mistaken about it before so feel free to call me out on that. but like i said before, nier isn't a game that needed fan service in it and that's about it

Like already mentioned, its a rather big part of NG+.
Its also an important part of Grimoire Niers "Witch's Sabbath".

I agree with you regarding Nier not needing fanservice, its just that i dont saw it as a fanservice. Considering how open Yoko Taro likes to mock cliches of videogames in his game and how the characters react to that.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah it's been an eternity since i played nier and all the playthroughs just get mixed up in my head

i personally don't think it works great, i think they could've done the same thing without the fan service and it'd actually make her character better

like i may not remember the fine details about the story, but i do remember being very much not convinced by the reasoning behind the skimpiness

i mean, like always, fan service is never really justified, you just look past it because you really like the thing, and move on

Deitus

WTF my broforce save has disappeared?

Steam forums suggests this is a common thing >_<

The same thing happened to me. Twice. After the second time, I decided not to play again until it officially released, but now that it has, hopefully the save issue is gone.

Was your save from before the game left early access?

Was personally bugged and changed the grid view. Thought I'd share this bookmark I had of Jase explaining how to get zero-space between game covers in grid view. Since it has been some time I've last seen this topic.
how do you close the gap between the boxes in Steam Grid Mode?
my old layout got wiped when I updated Steam Beta.
Open Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout and change the interiorspacing and GridView.DropShadowLeading values to -1.
-------------------------
Crate & Crowbar is an essential listen if you're a PC gamer.
Will give both a try. A goldmine of good recommendations here today, besides Skeptics Guide to the Universe who were obnoxiously self-righteous asshats in the one podcast I tried.
Also, I am glad Nier is coming to steam.
Wait what???

Anteater

yeah it's been an eternity since i played nier and all the playthroughs just get mixed up in my head

i personally don't think it works great, i think they could've done the same thing without the fan service and it'd actually make her character better

I love her design because of how exaggerated it was, it gets the point across

but for the west I think it would've been cool if it's tweaked because I think the story could be interesting, I love both Emil and Kaine's backstory and their personality

AHA-Lambda

The same thing happened to me. Twice. After the second time, I decided not to play again until it officially released, but now that it has, hopefully the save issue is gone.

Was your save from before the game left early access?

Nope, I've started playing it tonight =/

zkylon

zkylewd
I love her design because of how exaggerated it was, it gets the point across

but for the west I think it would've been cool if it's tweaked because I think the story could be interesting, I love both Emil and Kaine's backstory and their personality
for the west?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom