• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
My friend played through earthbound just recently and told me it sucks

I mean kudos to him for giving an old game a try which he doesn't usually

but it's probably decent since I usually don't agree with him

No

My first run was 2 months ago. Adored it. Got 2 friends to play it since, they're liking it so far too. It does not feel like a game from 20 years ago.

ArjanN

Short Length
Not much enemy variety
Some lackluster bosses
just to name a few.

it's a good game, but it's not without flaws.
like every other game in existence.

Well no duh. :p
My point was more that overall the flaws are minor, and it's clearly one of the best action games of the last couple of years despite them.

Momentary

Banned
I was going to buy a PS4 today at Gamestop. First I asked if they had the Steam Controller. I asked for an Elite controller, they told me it wasn't released, which is my own fault for not doing research. Nope. Then I asked if they had a copy of Xrd. They did, but it didn't come with a case or the booklet. Then I asked if they had a used copy of Bloodborne. They did for $42. I walked over and grabbed the new one for $39. Then the worker though I was going to buy the game and proceeded to open the display case up and put a disc in it. I said that's not new and pointed out that the price sticker was on the case. I asked for a sealed copy and she let out a sigh. I walked out of the store.

I think that was a sign for me to stay away from consoles and Gamestops for ever.

Jawmuncher

I was going to buy a PS4 today at Gamestop. First I asked if they had the Steam Controller. Nope. Then I asked if they had a copy of Xrd. They did, but it didn't come with a case or the booklet. Then I asked if they had a used copy of Bloodborne. They did for $42. I walked over and grabbed the new one for $39. Then the worker though I was going to buy the game and proceeded to open the display case up and put a disc in it. I said that's not new and pointed out that the price sticker was on the case. I asked for a sealed copy and she let out a sigh. I walked out of the store.

I think that was a sign for me to stay away from consoles and Gamestops for ever.

Just wait for it to be cheaper anyway. You've waited this long and if Xrd and BB is all you want, it's not worth it right now.

Ozium

I was going to buy a PS4 today at Gamestop. First I asked if they had the Steam Controller. I asked for an Elite controller, they told me it wasn't released, which is my own fault for not doing research. Nope. Then I asked if they had a copy of Xrd. They did, but it didn't come with a case or the booklet. Then I asked if they had a used copy of Bloodborne. They did for $42. I walked over and grabbed the new one for $39. Then the worker though I was going to buy the game and proceeded to open the display case up and put a disc in it. I said that's not new and pointed out that the price sticker was on the case. I asked for a sealed copy and she let out a sigh. I walked out of the store.

why the fuck were you shopping at gamestop?

Uzzy

Nice read. Been looking to get into a more traditional RTS but what isnt good about act of aggression?

It's got a fair few problems unfortunately. Take the units the game has, there's a lot of diversity in them, which is good, and a lot have multi-roles, which makes the game more interesting than 'rock, paper, scissors', but you also have a ton of upgrades for them spread out in often illogical places, which makes the tech tree needlessly complicated. You get some units who get global upgrades applied to them, others where each individual unit needs to have the upgrade manually applied and paid for. It's just so unintuitive.

Unit control is also rather frustrating. There wasn't a way I found to keep units in formation during transit, which is pretty damn important when you've got a combined force of tanks, artillery and IFVs. Instead they take to the road system on the map, often splitting up, and end up arriving in dribs and drabs under the enemy's guns.

The campaign, which I've not played, is apparently a complete shambles, with rubbish briefings and an uninspired story.

Jawmuncher

I seriously just want Command and Conquer all westwood games HD.
I haven't enjoyed any other RTS like I do those games. Everything generals and after was never the same.

Momentary

Banned
why the fuck were you shopping at gamestop?

Because the guy I was riding with needed to go there to pre-order Fallout 4 for PS4. It's also on base. I wanted to get a PS4 anyways for Disgaea 5 and Bloodborne so I walked in with him.

I wouldn't have bought it in the end. Since 50 yards across the street is the MCX and they sell everything tax free and price match. I wanted to see if they were going to cut me a deal or if they had any specials... or whatever it is they do to still maintain existence on this planet somehow.

Jawmuncher

Because the guy I was riding with needed to go there to pre-order Fallout 4 for PS4. It's also on base. I wanted to get a PS4 anyways for Disgaea 5 and Bloodborne so I walked in with him.

I wouldn't have bought it in the end. Since 50 yards across the street is the MCX and they sell everything tax free and price match. I wanted to see if they were going to cut me a deal or if they had any specials... or whatever it is they do to still maintain existence on this planet somehow.

You should know better. Gamestop still has tax. PX is tax free unless you were getting the PS4 used.

Momentary

Banned
You should know better. Gamestop still has tax. PX is tax free unless you were getting the PS4 used.

I wanted it new, but they didn't seem to have any deals other than they gamer rewards bullshit and telling me that I could be approved for a credit card for more points. Like I said. I've seen Marines going in there 5 or 6 at a time. I thought there were deals to be had. Turned out they just don't know any better.

Like the kid who pre-ordered Fallout 4. I asked him why not buy it at the PX. He said they wouldn't have it on release day. Which is total bullcrap.

Uzzy

I seriously just want Command and Conquer all westwood games HD.
I haven't enjoyed any other RTS like I do those games. Everything generals and after was never the same.

That'd be nice, but EA would probably find a way to make it a terrible abomination. Also, giving EA money for C&C after they killed Westwood feels wrong.

You should look into Grey Goo. It's the closest to C&C I've played in years.

i don't like mgr either, super frustrating game with most of my least favorite brawler mechanics

Brawler? That's a funny definition of it; not one I consider accurate at all, but hey, you say tomato, I say "what the fuck are you talking about, that's not even a fruit."

And of course you don't, the design of MGExcelsior is enough to send you into panic attacks.

Jawmuncher

I wanted it new, but they didn't seem to have any deals other than they gamer rewards bullshit and telling me that I could be approved for a credit card for more points.

Gamestop rarely ever has deal on anything unless it's used. Unless it's discounted PC games they're trying to get rid of . A few store here have been trying to sell Monsters Vs Aliens for PC for what seems like forever. No one has bought it despite being 97 cents.

That'd be nice, but EA would probably find a way to make it a terrible abomination. Also, giving EA money for C&C after they killed Westwood feels wrong.

You should look into Grey Goo. It's the closest to C&C I've played in years.

I saw your post and was interested in the Free Weekend but just never got around to it.
I think the biggest detractor is just the sci-fi setting. I just really enjoy the mix the older C&C games had, which no one has seemed to emulate.
It's either all the way sci-fi or all the way modern these days.

I like DmC* too, just saying it's better if PG don't touch the story, cuz they don't care anyway!

*DmC ended up having a poopy/worse story but I mean you get what I was saying

I agree with you -- Platinum's stories, for the most part, are not the strongest part of the package... with the exception of Vanquish, though that seems to depend on if you appreciate the clear homage to MGS or if it's a bit too campy/over the top for you... personally, I loved Vanquish. And I thought the MGR story was decent too... Bayonetta, on the other hand has one of the worst stories I have ever witnessed in a video game, or any form of media/story telling for that matter.

The only thing I remember about Vanquish's story is that it was weirdly gory given how clean the actual gameplay was(although I think you could kick people in two)

I don't even remember the story to Vanquish and I beat it twice.

Blah blah blah, attack on earth, blah blah blah, russian hijacked spacestation, blah blah blah, retake control of spacestation.

It was more the sort of homage to the codec conversations and Sam's obvious Solid Snake influence.

Anteater

I agree with you -- Platinum's stories, for the most part, are not the strongest part of the package... with the exception of Vanquish, though that seems to depend on if you appreciate the clear homage to MGS or if it's a bit too campy/over the top for you... personally, I loved Vanquish. And I thought the MGR story was decent too... Bayonetta, on the other hand has one of the worst stories I have ever witnessed in a video game, or any form of media/story telling for that matter.

I think if they actually try, it could be good, but damn it just seems like they don't care after clover made god hand lol

I don't even remember the story to Vanquish and I beat it twice.

San Francisco IS GONE NOW

Jawmuncher

Just Got Funded
--------------
Blah blah blah, attack on earth, blah blah blah, russian hijacked spacestation, blah blah blah, retake control of spacestation.

It was more the sort of homage to the codec conversations and Sam's obvious Solid Snake influence.

"Go to your happy place and slide."

I think if they actually try, it could be good, but damn it just seems like they don't care after clover made god hand lol

San Francisco IS GONE NOW

All the more reason for it to be on PC. I want to replay it.

Xanathus

Just finished Lost Planet 3. It's not a great game but I can see the effort put into making it. It's kinda weird, it feels like the designer of it was actually interested in making a good game but fell short due to budget restrictions.

CRovZduUAAA9mwa.jpg:large

CRoxBD1UcAAZ7PD.jpg:large

CRoxpy6UYAA-dr3.jpg:large

so fucking nice
the d-pad and triggers are actually MATTE gold despite the render having glossy gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom