• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I have enough trouble dealing with insurance in real life, I don't want to deal with them in my escapist videogames.

-_-

tuxfool

Banned
Their way of milking more money from the way i see it. Whatever though, its not my money.

Milking imaginary money? This is all from the in game economy.

In an RPG or whatever you need to buy health restoring items. That could be considered insurance against death? Surely it is the same thing here.

Why does this game have insurance? Was in the BST thread and someone was selling this and it came with a bunch of shit, what caught my eye was the insurance though.

It's a small game mechanic. Like how RPGs have gear durability. When you take damage or die, you have to pay a small amount of ingame currency to repair your armor. That's all insurance is going to amount to. People who backed the game early got a perk where one part of their ship will have free insurance in perpetuity but they will still have to pay the ingame costs for the rest of it.

The importance of ship insurance in the game matches the importance of paying for armor repairs in another game i.e. it doesn't matter at all. It's not a big deal.

tuxfool

Banned
It's a small game mechanic. Like how RPGs have gear durability. When you take damage or die, you have to pay a small amount of ingame currency to repair your armor. That's all insurance is going to amount to. People who backed the game early got a perk where one part of their ship will have free insurance in perpetuity but they will still have to pay the ingame costs for the rest of it.

It should also be noted that this long term insurance doesn't cover ship upgrades either so its benefit is really minor.

tuxfool

Banned
I said a few post ago that you get extra insurance with some of the packages so I guess he interpreted that as buying insurance with real world money. There's no way of just buying insurance with real world money.

I suspect that all ships will come with a certain amount of insurance included, or at least the beginner ships. That way they can ease people into the mechanic. Because everyone will be a beginner when these mechanics are introduced, that is the reason I guess they include it in the packages.

Ozium

look buying insurance is cheaper than buying a new ship

like in xenoblade chronicles X you can buy insurance for your mech so you can have it explode a couple times and not have to buy a new one..

it's immersive

I suspect that all ships will come with a certain amount of insurance included, or at least the beginner ships. That way they can ease people into the mechanic. Because everyone will be a beginner when these mechanics are introduced, that is the reason I guess they include it in the packages.

Yeah that makes sense.

Hmm... Ok SC, ill let you off the hook this time, but Im on to you.

I talked to the Star Citizen and he said he'll be keeping his intergalactic eye on you.

like in xenoblade chronicles X you can buy insurance for your mech so you can have it explode a couple times and not have to buy a new one..

it's immersive
I dont want to be immersed. Give me a new mech so i can go blow that shit up again, NOW! Thats fun

it's immersive

Yeah, that's the kinda immersion I like.
What's next? Do I get to mortgage things and worry about paying the PMI and taxes with an escrow account?

What do you even do in SC? I thought it was a pvp game but now you guys are talking about insurance so it cant be that, right?

A space based MMO is the quickest way to describe it. It will have space flight, dogfighting, FPS shooting, exploration space and planet based, trading, mining and stuff like that.

I did vent about Star Citizen last night, true. But the game is in early Alpha really, lots, no most parts are still missing. Gotta give it the benefit of doubt for now. All things I complained about could change drastically come beta/gold. I do feel a bit pessimistic about core flying mechanics and janky firstperson movement I had gripes with, staying like this though but that is really subjective.

For now Elite looks heaps better as a game, not a promise.
Future will tell. Be patient.

I always think Star Citizen as the next Eve Online, a space simulator focusing on trades and space battles.
It's kinda similar, right? But SC is way more advanced in tech and features, of course.

I did vent about Star Citizen last night, true. But the game is in early Alpha really, lots, no most parts are still missing. Gotta give it the benefit of doubt for now. All things I complained about could change drastically come beta/gold. I do feel a bit pessimistic about core flying mechanics and janky firstperson movement I had gripes with, staying like this though but that is really subjective.

For now Elite looks heaps better as a game, not a promise.
Future will tell. Be patient.

Just to let you know they are apparently throwing the current FPS movement out and redoing it. Which I'm happy about because it feels like all the worst parts of the Arma movement at times.

Just to let you know they are apparently throwing the current FPS movement out and redoing it. Which I'm happy about because it feels like all the worst parts of the Arma movement at times.
Well that is extremely pleasant news to hear. It had that GTA4 feel to it as in, I didn't feel like controlling the movement but more controlling the pull on strings attached to limbs. Not ideal.

zkylon

zkylewd
LP1 wasn't perfect but I had fun with it! I heard LP3 is a really different game. LP2 is more focused on coop but I would really play that as well but too bad silly capcom won't remove gfwl, because I could get a few friends to buy it if they do.
lost planet 3 so far is a very weird game

seems like a lot of the pieces of a cool thing but they don't really mesh all that well. it has a lot of side questing stuff that seems like just redoing missions in a weird like mercenary kings kind of way and you seem to backtrack over the same areas a lot even a few hours in and i'm already dreading that sections are separated into areas rather than just being one open world. it feels terrible to be constantly going through loading screens

also the game's super janky, i've gotten stuck in walls, i've seen the giant mech thing fly off and i've gotten stuck mid air too. you get a grappling hook but it's context sensitive so it's not that great, and there's a weird cover mechanic that just feels ridiculous when you're fighting alien spiders that are shooting goo at you. the mech is really cool in theory but it's way more boring than being on foot since you got a ton many more tools at your disposal, and both walking in and out the mech feels kind of painfully slow

i really like the the whole "working man" story stuff, it's just that the game feels kind of a mess

lost planet 3 so far is a very weird game

seems like a lot of the pieces of a cool thing but they don't really mesh all that well. it has a lot of side questing stuff that seems like just redoing missions in a weird like mercenary kings kind of way and you seem to backtrack over the same areas a lot even a few hours in and i'm already dreading that sections are separated into areas rather than just being one open world. it feels terrible to be constantly going through loading screens

also the game's super janky, i've gotten stuck in walls, i've seen the giant mech thing fly off and i've gotten stuck mid air too. you get a grappling hook but it's context sensitive so it's not that great, and there's a weird cover mechanic that just feels ridiculous when you're fighting alien spiders that are shooting goo at you. the mech is really cool in theory but it's way more boring than being on foot since you got a ton many more tools at your disposal, and both walking in and out the mech feels kind of painfully slow

i really like the the whole "working man" story stuff, it's just that the game feels kind of a mess
To think, this was a $60 game. LP1 and 2 had mechs right? Im pretty sure i used them during the demo and they were a blast, maybe i imagined it though

zkylon

zkylewd
jinx_is_strange_by_mysteriouspancake-d9dje1m.jpg

jinx from league of legends as chloe from life is strange

:>

To think, this was a $60 game. LP1 and 2 had mechs right? Im pretty sure i used them during the demo and they were a blast, maybe i imagined it though
i don't think the price is an issue, it's not a 'bad' game so far, it's just a game that feels like it tried to do a bit too much

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I bought my sister The Walking Dead game a while back and she was on episode 4 or 5 and I was asking her about it. She told me she was liking it and was excited to go back through and make different decisions to see what changes.

I felt so sad at that point.

You should gift her Life is Strange if she's interested in stuff like that.

Jawmuncher

I bought lost planet 3 for 12.50 awhile back and enjoyed it. Didn't have any of the issues Zkylon is mentioning at all. LP was always a oddly questionable series in terms of quality anyway. It was always a either you loved it or hated it sort of game. Especially with LP2.

With that said for the dollar it costs I would say the game is well worth playing for that price. Especially if you just want the story which, I don't see the harm in putting it on easy or skipping the side quests. I actually did those and can say they're not worth it at all. Just helps you out with buying stuff you don't necessarily need.

Note: there was one glitch I ran into when I played. It was when fighting a crab alien on foot. You have to shoot the ice on it back and for some reason it was invulnerable. I think just resetting the checkpoint fixed that though.

Are there any PC games that make use of the Xbone paddle's rumble triggers?

This question should answer itself, dragon. :p

How many XB1 ports are there? How many of those had it in the first place? How many translated that to the PC port... my guess is slim to none.

First party games, should they ever come (gears/KI/etc.) will probably do it? But I'm guessing what's out there right now (Ryse, DR3, Ori) are probably negative on that.

Part of the issue is that devs can't guarantee the input method used, so they may just remove it rather than code around it... x1 games have to be played with an x1 pad, so it's just there prior to being ported.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Some games on my wishlist got discounted and either I didn't get an e-mail notification or the mail arrived a few hours late. Is this common?

Also, I got a 50% off coupon in Divide by Sheep, PM if interested.

Some games on my wishlist got discounted and either I didn't get an e-mail notification or the mail arrived a few hours late. Is this common?

Also, I got a 50% off coupon in Divide by Sheep, PM if interested.

The emails always take hous or days to arrive for me or never at all. It's pretty half-arsed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey guys as long as everything goes according to plan tomorrow with the finale yall need to play Life is Strange just like you all need Jesus and shit. Just marathoned the 4 eps and its definitely the most "impactful" adventure game since Walking Dead Season 1 and probably a lot better.

Hey guys as long as everything goes according to plan tomorrow with the finale yall need to play Life is Strange just like you all need Jesus and shit. Just marathoned the 4 eps and its definitely the most "impactful" adventure game since Walking Dead Season 1 and probably a lot better.

man
the only TT games I've played since they switched to story based rather than PnC are TWDS1 and TWAU

are any of them worth it otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom