• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of new-ish to steam (6 year member but never had a PC good enough to play any of the games I was buying lol)

Well as of about two months ago all those humble bundle and steam sale games I was buying over the years can finally be played on my new PC!

I just sold my first items on the marketplace. Some crappy TF2 weapons. Made a healthy 50 cents!

zkylon

zkylewd
Bait cards, frostbite and scorch are what I use to outplay monster decks. Also spies and decoys, but those are always great.

spies usually work against u cos monster decks have tons of 2x melee

best strat is to get lots of ice cards

Is the Fallout 3 writing really that bad? I tried to get my roommate into it a couple months ago, he played up to Megaton, and i watched. Of course its not Obsidian quality and its silly as fuck but i feel like the latter kinda makes sense in game. Then again, i havent played the full game since it came out and i was a dumb teenager at the time so what do i know.
there's a bit of hyperbole that comes from fallout 3 being often downright goofy but i'd say it kinda is that bad, specially for dialogue. audilogs/notes/etc. are way better, but dialogue is pretty terrible

Caerith

Is the Fallout 3 writing really that bad? I tried to get my roommate into it a couple months ago, he played up to Megaton, and i watched. Of course its not Obsidian quality and its silly as fuck but i feel like the latter kinda makes sense in game. Then again, i havent played the full game since it came out and i was a dumb teenager at the time so what do i know.

There's two schools of thought on this. One is that the worldbuilding makes no sense and that everybody in the Capital Wasteland is an idiot, and the other is "I wish Liam Neeson was my dad."

OK, I remembered right and I actually made a Mod List post for GTAIV previously.
So here it is a bit updated.
-----------------------------------------
Before I start, mods are not always cross-compatible between GTAIV and EFLC. In some cases mods may only work with GTAIV but not ELFC. Afaik mods that work with ELFC do work with GTAIV. Don't hold me on that though.
To make matters even more complicated some mods only work with a specific Patch version of GTAIV. The ones in question are 1.0.4.0 & 1.0.7.0. You might want to check before searching for other mods as the Steam version is the newest Patch. There is a way to downgrade to the previous Patch but I advise against it as I don't see much advantage in doing so.

The following list contains mods I used for EFLC. They should work with GTAIV as well.

Preface: Making sure the vanilla game is actually playable
As you might have read the PC versions of GTAIV & EFLC are anything but optimal. Performance leaves a lot to be desired as does the many defunct DRM systems. SecuRom, GFWL and SocialClub do sadly not work always as they should.
SocialClub will regularly deny authentication so it would be wise to circumvent it altogether by renaming the paul.dll in the game folder into paulold.dll. This way your game will start without having you to log into SocialClub.

Besides these I found that there are many users encountering troubles getting the game to start.
These threads helped me out get the vanilla game in a playable state.

1. Tools and preparations
Modding GTAIV is sadly often not straightforward, needs various tools and thus has a high chance of messing up your game.
You are best advised to back up the original files before overwriting them with mod-files even if can be a big hassle. Please do this as you will want to roll back to your vanilla game to test different otherwise conflicting mods. Usually the size of the files to back up is very small but keep their folder hierarchies in mind. You can also very file integrity on Steam and let only the changed vanilla files be restored.

XliveLess
Probably the most suggested mod is XLiveLess. It is a .dll file which basically circumvents GFWL. The newest version XLiveLess v0.999-beta7 can be found here.
While I am using this, it is no way required for many mods. The game is perfectly playable in way of creating a local profile in GFWL once the game starts. Save games with the usage of xliveless are incompatible, so you might want to commit. Personally I suggest using it as there are mods requiring it.

OpenIV & ASI Loader & ScriptHook
While many mods are indeed a work of copy-pasting there are many useful ones requiring these three tools.
Installing them is easy and usage as well for the later two. OpenIV on the other hand is needed to mod some textures and models which are part of a single big file. It is a bit of a hassle but a fairly straightforward process. Reading the ReadMe files will solve 99% of your questions and problems. Installing and using ASI Loader & ScriptHook is only a matter of copy-pasting.
Get the tools on their pages: OpenIV, GTAIV ASI Loader and ScriptHook.

2. ENB
This mod will most likely give the biggest visual upgrade to the game.
There are many different variations and versions. After research I found two to be the most popular, stable and compatible among them, CryENB & iCEnhancer.
Deciding which to use is a matter of personal taste, so you might want to check out Youtube videos. I used both and find CryENB to be better. It also helps that setting up CryENB is foolproof. The zip-file has very good documentation and you have a plethora of easy ways to set it up to your personal preference. Whether it is Bloom, GodRays, AA technique and so on.

Take heed in using(copying) the ESL mod inside of CryENB. Its purpose is to simulate much more realistic lighting of Police, Ambulance etc. vehicles. The version inside the CryENB file (V8) leads to game crashes after ~5mins of playtime. Supposedly earlier revisions work without crashes but you need to research this on yourself.
Another big issue with most ENB mods is that they will introduce some extreme and jarring visual glitches (no ground, sky etc.). Thankfully there is a solution for this. Download the RageENB and copy the files into your game folder. Afterwards just copy-paste the CryENB files and overwrite when asked. The extra files in RageENB solve the visual glitches.

Other than that I feel CryENB offers very good visual upgrade while maintaining great performance. Best of all I liked the ease of setting it up and customizing almost every aspect if wanted.
You can even press Shift+Enter while ingame to open up a menu to en-/disable various options, AA, AO, Bloom etc. Really great ENB.

3. Textures
Maker of iCEnhancer offers various very good texture packs on his site. Note that you don't need to use ice-ENB for this textures to work. They will work with every ENB and even without it.

Head on here, scroll down and download following:

Read the ReadMe in the zip files to see where to copy the files. Easy installation.
Only thing which is a bit more work is the "Metallic Paint" texture named vehshare.wtd. You have to use OpenIV and extract that file into a bigger vehicles.img file. Read the ReadMe and you'll be just fine.

4. Scripts
These mods will change not the visuals but certain aspects of the gameplay. Choose according to your own desire.
I'm using them all and they are a blast. Especially the Bullet Time Mod.

• Traffic Load <-- Regulates car spawn behavior
  • First Person <-- Play from a first-person perspective by cycling through camera angles. Even in cars!
  • Bullet Time <-- Slow down time for awesome stunts, firefights and pinpoint precision by pressing "X"-key.
  • Health Regeneration <-- Vanilla Health System sucks. Easily adjustable variables in a .ini file.
  • Weapon Realism <-- More realistic and fun weapon stats
  • Realistic Driving & Flying <-- Much, much better car handling properties
  • Cam-Control <-- Free-Cam at any point with F4 key. Changeable FOV.
Installing these is a copy-paste thing. Read the text files in the zip files to see which folders. Very easy.

5. Extra Stuff
The following mods are useful and you might want to check them out. I don't use them myself though.

While the Simple Trainer is easy to set up, the weapon and car mods require you to use OpenIV and manually replace models and behavior files.
I personally don't use custom vehicles or weapons. There are many more models. Just be sure that they are specifically supported by your game and version.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kind of new-ish to steam (6 year member but never had a PC good enough to play any of the games I was buying lol)

Well as of about two months ago all those humble bundle and steam sale games I was buying over the years can finally be played on my new PC!

I just sold my first items on the marketplace. Some crappy TF2 weapons. Made a healthy 50 cents!

Welcome to SteamGAF!

FloatOn

man, you have so much to catch up on.

I started playing on pc about 4ish years ago and I never looked back. enjoy.

Beth can sort of do standalone quests, but their main quests are always nonsensical garbage.

Yeah i can see this. The whole main quest was fucking dumb, especially the ending, but a lot of the sidequests were pretty good. Ehh i have some incling of hope for Fallout 4. But it has to have Three-Dog

Welcome dude! Eventually im going to get around to selling my Dota goods becayse im fucking DONE with that game.

Buraindo

spies usually work against u cos monster decks have tons of 2x melee

best strat is to get lots of ice cards

I almost always lose the first round on purpose and that's usually when you play spy cards, especially against a close combat heavy deck.
Basically, I just buy time while the Monster opponent plays several cards per turn during the first round while I stock up on cards. First turn usually ends with me having about 10 - 12 cards and monster player having about 6 half of which will probably be special ones.
That's when Frostbite and Scorch come into play.
Besides, Temerian spy cards have low rating so it's a non issue either way.

tuxfool

Banned
there's a bit of hyperbole that comes from fallout 3 being often downright goofy but i'd say it kinda is that bad, specially for dialogue. audilogs/notes/etc. are way better, but dialogue is pretty terrible

The main story is also somewhat riddled with plot holes and a bit of a slap dash narrative.

derExperte

Daily: Trials Fusion -75%

Daily Trials Fusion 75% off
Humble Store Dawn of the deals (zombie themed weekend sale)

qSKSy4ZDAjJu0.gif

Nearing 50th hour spent with Witcher 3, I don't think I'm halfway through.
The game shouldn't be called Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Instead, CDPR should've named it Witcher 3: Sustainer of Backlogs.

Seriously, I've barely touched Gwent. Gwent! Not to mention most of open world activity. Those 50 hours are mostly main and side quests.

(GOTY choice will be hard this year)

They really did a fantastic job with the game.

70 hours of W3 > 70 hours of MGS5. I really needed a gaming breather after W3, such an enjoyable experience.

Arthea

Pavilion did get nice boost of votes during today, so it kinda worked, just letting you know.

edited: I kinda want Trials Fusion, but I don't want to reinstall uplay just yet and I have too many games I want to play, will wait some more.
I still don't get it why this game has so many negative reviews, it looks great imo, then again I haven't played it.

derExperte

I bought Sniper Elite III earlier this week otherwise I would get Trials Fusion (with all of the DLC) for $9.99...oh well, I'll wait for the next sale

Who even cares about this Digital Homicide stuff?
Outside of Jim Sterling that is.

I'm legitimately curious.

honestly I'm curious too. he stays on their dick. They make shitty games, we get it. I think he just keeps beating a dead horse cause it brings in them views

Nzyme32

Who even cares about this Digital Homicide stuff?
Outside of Jim Sterling that is.

I'm legitimately curious.

I think that is the problem with Jim. He wants to (rightfully) shame those guys and others, but is so active with it, that it eventually just becomes white noise since it is more of the same, and we already know to be aware

honestly I'm curious too. he stays on their dick. They make shitty games, we get it. I think he just keeps beating a dead horse cause it brings in them views

Yeah, I am with you. He has been harping on it a bit too much. Though he does this with more than just Digital Homicide.

sheaaaa

How is Trials Fusion? Does it work with a controller? I sunk many hours into HD and Evolution back on Xbox 360, but i remember hearing mixed things about this one.

Accoun

Yeah, I am with you. He has been harping on it a bit too much. Though he does this with more than just Digital Homicide.

Yeah, at least with Konami he found a middle ground of sorts with #fuckkonami news and won't do more full videos unless they fuck up BIG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom