• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

The last time I watched a whole anime series was before I get married in 2014. I just don't have the time to watch anime again nowadays, as I prefer to spend my free time playing vidya games. I still love anime-ish games though.

Anime is like the most manageable hobby when its come to time tho..

Arthea

Well the game is terrible and there is enough info for that to point to that. Not my place to tell people what to buy but I think that money is better spent elsewhere.

I would believe you, but after I tried IF games after years of reading how terrible they are and finding they aren't terrible at all, I know better.

Not saying that it can't be bad, I know it was censored for the west, that means it is "special" kind of a game, not my kind most likely, I still can't say it's terrible until I have played it.

Most manageable? That's reading books.

true, I can confirm this, unless you absolutely need to read everything, researching what to read seems to be much easier than games or movies or anime too. Although it still takes a lot of time.

Dr Dogg

The controls were terrible.

Luckily, between the abominable battle and encounter design and the ridiculous amount of level re-use you don't even get time to appreciate how terrible they were!

It kind of plays how I'd imagine a Dynasty Warriors game would play with kb&m controls. I guess they sort of would work for a tactical RPG but not what DA II turned out to be.

Well it's actually about 40 hours since I did my genocide run on the DRM-free version on the laptop to avoid the consequences of doing that.
It's pretty replayable though since different things can happen from your actions, new events can happens, and such.
When I watched Cheesecake play it I even saw a new thing I hadn't seen before which is odd since I played it a lot and watched a ton of other peoples play-throughs for their reactions..

Although I tried to keep away from anything about it because it seemed to get some very good praise I did end up watching a few YouTube vids of certain types of runs and it looks awesome. Will probably pick it up before the year is out.

morningbus snapping so spectacularly totally overshadows you.

I'm sure there will be something spectacular before the year is out. Haven't had a meltdown in here for a while.

Your mind gets invaded whether you want it or not. :)

Seriously, it's somewhat the same with myself - I never ever said anything negative towards these, you know, Asian themes and characters, etc, but I felt cautious towards them and felt like they are something that just isn't for me. Until this thread and NeoGAF in general, which made me buy several things, wishlist many more and overall create a lot of interest... it's contagious (in a good way).

Hahaha well as a rule of thumb 99.99% of the things I say are usually in jest.

But yeah sometimes some things have an overtly negative perception about them that gets a little bit skewed from what they actually are. I better stop now before I start banging on about AssCreed again!

Chariot

Nah, just explaining my process there. Like when I say Kill la Kill is bad despite liking it anyways.
I see.

I hope it's not terrible. People told me that NepNep is terrible and I quite enjoyed it. I have two monitors and love grinding games so I can watch anime while playing.

Knurek

That japanese roguelitelike that we upvoted on greenlight has the store page already
Kagura Douchuuki

no cards or cheevos... why?

edited: releases today
that was fast

That gives me strong Shiren the Wanderer vibes. Never though we'd see a Mysterious Dungeon game release on PC, wondering how well rogue players will react to a consolized version of their genre...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I would believe you, but after I tried IF games after years of reading how terrible they are and finding they aren't terrible at all, I know better.

Not saying that it can't be bad, I know it was censored for the west, that means it is "special" kind of a game, not my kind most likely, I still can't say it's terrible until I have played it.
Don't really care about the censorship myself really, but going with your knowledge of what you like is for the best and is usually how I operate since I find others accounts really unreliable.
Picking and choosing things I think appeal to me only failed me a handful of times so the odds are better than me actually reading reviews, but I do take technical reviews into account more since I'd rather not buy something broken if possible.
I see.

I hope it's not terrible. People told me that NepNep is terrible and I quite enjoyed it. I have two monitors and love grinding games so I can watch anime while playing.

Well I don't think Nepnep is terrible but I never get too far since I find it's gameplay extremely bland and uninteresting. You'd know better than me if it would appeal to you!

You forget what you doing if not finish the book soon just like game :D

Watching ongoing show cost 20-40 min per week for one title and engage you in routine where you not lose at pause.
Pfft, I can read any time, anywhere. You have no idea how much time one can squeeze out from commuting, eating, break time and wait time. Also what are you? Old? :p
true, I can confirm this, unless you absolutely need to read everything, researching what to read seems to be much easier than games or movies or anime too. Although it still takes a lot of time.
Go to neogaf's book thread.

fertygo

I mean taking 1 weak break from page 342 of bookbthat yoj reading would be as jarring as return to middle of game after decent amount of break. Its the best if you have routine till you finish the said book or game.

Anime is like the most manageable hobby when its come to time tho..

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do not watch/play ongoing/episodic anime/games etc. I much prefer to enjoy them when they're actually finished and completed. I hate the feeling that I have to wait for another week/month to know the rest of the story.

Arthea

That gives me strong Shiren the Wanderer vibes. Never though we'd see a Mysterious Dungeon game release on PC, wondering how well rogue players will react to a consolized version of their genre...
Indeed!
We need to pester devs for cards and cheevos, also we have to embrace ourselves for bad translation, good that it's not a story heavy game.

yeah, I know about it, but I have my own methods of researching what to read that are working nicely.

just read The Martian recently, it was good! can recommend

not sure if serious

edit: new groupees bundle coming soon, no preorder https://groupees.com/damned4

also arthea alert new greenlight bundle pre order up, starts in 6.6 hours
you are late, I already preodered it yesterday

why no preorder on Damned bundle? There was no preorder for Octoberfest too. Are they done with preorders (aside from greenlight bundles)?

Started replaying Resident Evil 4. OMG this game of so gooood.

I got it day one on Gamecube, bought the PS3 version and now the PC version. So worth it, I love it.

fertygo

I mean taking 1 weak break from page 342 of book that you reading would be as jarring as return to middle of game after decent amount of break. Its the best if you have routine till you finish the said book or game.

Arthea

talking about our GOTY, Paint it Back endless mode consists of all room puzzles, so it's not random generated as I thought it will be, but I already see that this game will last me for a while, by that time maybe we'll get workshop support or something.

KainXVIII

Is it good?

Pink Hour coming to Steam!
Fans of Pixel, we have some great news for you today.

Pink Hour, the minigame related to Kero Blaster, is coming to Steam on October 28th

Join Pink has she ventures out to retrieve a missing document before her boss gets angry.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is it good?

Really confused as to Playism's strategy with this is since you can go to their website and download this and the sequel for free right now instead of waiting 5 days for the Steam release.
isNRVX3.png

yuraya

That MGSV FOB thread is amazing. I never seen so many gamers be so terrified of a multiplayer mechanic in a singleplayer game. People are so scared of the internet lmfao.

The Konami boogeyman is gonna steal your GMP while you sleep at night. The game is so easy and gmp is so easy to obtain lol. And absolutely none of it is required to finish the game.

I sometimes wonder if people are just trolling but no they are actually serious. GAF can be a very hilarious place sometimes.

Indeed!
We need to pester devs for cards and cheevos, also we have to embrace ourselves for bad translation, good that it's not a story heavy game.

yeah, I know about it, but I have my own methods of researching what to read that are working nicely.

just read The Martian recently, it was good! can recommend

you are late, I already preodered it yesterday

why no preorder on Damned bundle? There was no preorder for Octoberfest too. Are they done with preorders (aside from greenlight bundles)?

Pre order coming in under 12 hours according to the groupees chat.

Jawmuncher

Hmmmmm looks like SteamGAF doesn't roll a FemShep.

Edit: Well apart from that frosty fellow.

All of my main playthroughs were femshep. As in the femshep was the character that had the important journey from 1-3.

I really hope andromeda is good, but after DA:Inquistion I have my doubts. I'm in the camp that preferred shooter Mass Effect with choices sprinkled in.

fertygo

Have you seen the reviews or comments from people who played the PS3 version? The hype deflated so quickly in the announcement thread that I almost felt bad for the Ghostlight
Well I know my expectation.. must've like those game that NISA releasing for ages, and I do enjoy those :D

But I guess Shadowrun Hong Kong will fall to that price soon.

Dr Dogg

FemShep is the only shep.

Also I talked Wrex down on my first playthrough.

I think I was a point of Paragon not enough to manage it. Though on my second run I did abuse the infinite paragon points from the first Noveria mission.

All of my main playthroughs were femshep. As in the femshep was the character that had the important journey from 1-3.

I really hope andromeda is good, but after DA:Inquistion I have my doubts. I'm in the camp that preferred shooter Mass Effect with choices sprinkled in.

I can imagine exactly what your FemShep looked like :p

If the planets end up being MMO questing zones with dot to dot mini games I'm going to cry.

ArjanN

Really confused as to Playism's strategy with this is since you can go to their website and download this and the sequel for free right now instead of waiting 5 days for the Steam release.
isNRVX3.png

What's confusing about it? This way it's on Steam and it helps promote Kero Blaster.

Jawmuncher

I think I was a point of Paragon not enough to manage it. Though on my second run I did abuse the infinite paragon points from the first Noveria mission.

I can imagine exactly what your FemShep looked like :p

If the planets end up being MMO questing zones with dot to dot mini games I'm going to cry.

Yeah If I make any character in a game it's really easy to piece together how they look.

5/10

Off to a good start.

Meanwhile Kingdom is getting pretty great reviews (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-21-kingdom-review), any impressions?

It's all over the place ATM. All I can assume is that it'll be better than unity overall. What I said before seems to apply. Hardcore fans will enjoy it, but it's not going to draw any new fans in.

aw350

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do not watch/play ongoing/episodic anime/games etc. I much prefer to enjoy them when they're actually finished and completed. I hate the feeling that I have to wait for another week/month to know the rest of the story.

Brofist.

Besides, there's something very warm and fuzzy about having the whole 300+ episodes lying before you, begging to be watched, if you find the series worthy.

But yeah sometimes some things have an overtly negative perception about them that gets a little bit skewed from what they actually are. I better stop now before I start banging on about AssCreed again!

Just in case.
I like Assassin's Creed. I only played earlier games but even if modern ones are worse, it probably can't be that bad.

Read through the last few pages.....That's a lot of shit posting.

I mean taking 1 weak break from page 342 of bookbthat yoj reading would be as jarring as return to middle of game after decent amount of break. Its the best if you have routine till you finish the said book or game.

I mean taking 1 weak break from page 342 of book that you reading would be as jarring as return to middle of game after decent amount of break. Its the best if you have routine till you finish the said book or game.

yeah man.....

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if it didn't run like shit.

Jawmuncher

Read through the last few pages.....That's a lot of shit posting.

yeah man.....

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if it didn't run like shit.

Did you figure it out. He just said that stopping something halfway is never a good time. Better to get a routine on the item so you're always enjoying it, even if it's little by little.

Uzzy

Also AssCreed is going to be an odd case with reviews. If Stephen reviews it for Kotaku I'll give it a read but they're fucking huge games that I doubt many reviewers have the time to devote to them to see if things like the economy are fucked or the side content is repetative or engaging through out.

It'll be a while before Stephen's Kotaku review. They didn't get a press copy for some entirely unexplainable reason.

And yeah, that's a common problem with quite a few games, especially the big RPGs and strategy titles that need a long time to digest and discover problems. It'll only get worse I imagine, as more and more of the big games go for an open world design.

dex3108

It'll be a while before Stephen's Kotaku review. They didn't get a press copy for some entirely unexplainable reason.

And yeah, that's a common problem with quite a few games, especially the big RPGs and strategy titles that need a long time to digest and discover problems. It'll only get worse I imagine, as more and more of the big games go for an open world design.

They leaked AC Unity and AC Syndicate before announcement.

Dr Dogg

Yeah it's a bit of an odd case why they didn't get a copy :p

To be fair there's only so much time a reviewer is going to be able to commit as most of them end up doing about 3 or 4 roles these days (then again most positions in the media are roles of many hats in my experience). Props to Totilo though as he's very familiar with the franchise and his past reviews on the series has been honest and very thorough.

They leaked AC Unity and AC Syndicate before announcement.

Hahah I think Uzzy understands that hence the comment.

dex3108

They did? It's the first time I hear about this and I visit Kotaku from time to time.

I meant announcement and yes they leaked both titles. They leaked AC Syndicate in December last year and they "ruined" Evie announcement day before official announcement.

Don't remind me, I remember how distraught you were over that lol.

Yes and i will always be pissed when somebody do that. Devs who put years working on it deserve proper announcement. And i still respect Jason from Kotaku when he does amazing inside industry articles like Destiny from few days ago.

Arthea

I meant announcement and yes they leaked both titles. They leaked AC Syndicate in December last year and they "ruined" Evie announcement day before official announcement.

Yes and i will always be pissed when somebody do that. Devs who put years working on it deserve proper announcement. And i still respect Jason from Kotaku when he does amazing inside industry articles like Destiny from few days ago.

oh, you mean announcements, misunderstood.

Devs who put years working on it deserve proper announcement.

I could say the same thing about movies. Or books. Or albums.

Stuff gets leaked all the time, especially when it's a big franchise. Ubi certainly has the right to blacklist press outlets, but I don't see why you would be surprised when a publication gets a scoop.

Uzzy

Yeah it's a bit of an odd case why they didn't get a copy :p

To be fair there's only so much time a reviewer is going to be able to commit as most of them end up doing about 3 or 4 roles these days (then again most positions in the media are roles of many hats in my experience). Props to Totilo though as he's very familiar with the franchise and his past reviews on the series has been honest and very thorough.

Yeah, very odd!

And you're right, I don't think you can expect reviewers to commit the amount of time needed to review every detail of a massive game. In strategy games, it might require weeks of playtime under a variety of conditions to discover that the balance is flawed in some small, unnoticed way that ends up ruining the late game experience. Your average reviewer won't have that sort of time available, so they might not ever get to the point where those kind of issues emerge.

So it's always best to look for someone who has familiarity with the series or genre, and see what their considered opinion is. Totilo's a good one, especially on AC.

Arthea

I could say the same thing about movies. Or books. Or albums.

Stuff gets leaked all the time, especially when it's a big franchise. Ubi certainly has the right to blacklist press outlets, but I don't see why you would be surprised when a publication gets a scoop.

for leaking announcements? I don't think so, firstly they have to have inside sources even to be able to leak them, meaning not guilty really, secondly it's news, what do you expect? If they leaked reviews before embargo ended, which is an agreement before publisher and the site not to, then yes. Announcements? no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom