• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
What i don't get about the Payday 2 thing and the responses by the devs is this news from March:

Overkill Will Keep Supporting Payday 2 for Two More Years

Why did they risk adding these kinds of MTAs when 505 Games are still pumping money to Payday 2?

I have never played Payday but I always see stufff about it, news articles, random EPs and songs from famous DJ's about it. What am I missing here.

latest

CS2915025-02A-BIG.jpg

Are any of the Uplay rewards for Child of Light actually worth it? It just looks like microtransaction type stuff to make the game go faster.

Nzyme32

Plug HDMI into TV > Split Screen Co-op on the couch... for $50 less. Hell, you could probably buy a second copy of the game to do the LAN party for full PC experience for less than the Steam Link will run you. And I'm guessing that most people will be using wi-fi for one of their Steam Link'ed devices... which means latency, which is less responsive, so why even bother... ;)

There is no way we are hooking up a HDMI cable through 3 floors. Also she's using it for a load of other games, so it's hardly a one game solution. Still not ideal though, but good enough for £39

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, the limited amount of room to work in SpaceChem, combined with the whole "can't let anything collide" restriction really does make you be a lot more efficient. I never had that same overwhelmed feeling while playing Infinifactory. Some of the later levels require you to really compartmentalize the solution (make four of these out of individual blocks, combine them into two of this other thing, bolt those to the side of a third thing, etc), but you have so much room to stretch out that it never feels quite as harrowing. There were a few times when I was working on a larger level that I'd take a break after finishing a certain section, yet go back two minutes later because I had an idea about how to do the next part.

Oh, that does look interesting, and I'll definitely check that out at some point. I wouldn't say that Infinifactory is really much of a "programming puzzler", though. You actually can rig up some basic logic gates using loose blocks and sensors, but it's really just pushing blocks around and assembling stuff visually. Still, I didn't realize that the current price for Infinifactory was $25. I picked it up during the Summer sale for around $10 right before it left Early Access, and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

i mean, it's a programming puzzle in the same way spacechem is

as someone that could be considered sort of a coder it just makes sense to see puzzles like these that do all the logic chains and whatnot as programming puzzlers so u know, even if it's not exactly that, it kind of is

but yeah 25$ is pretty steep

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have never played Payday but I always see stufff about it, news articles, random EPs and songs from famous DJ's about it. What am I missing here.

Alesso is a Swedish DJ, Overkill is also Swedish, which was pretty much the basis for them making an entire heist advertising him. Le Castle Vania I believe provided music for John Wick, which was a movie that Payday received promotional DLC for. They must have gotten in touch with him at some point during that partnership to hire him for extra tracks.

As for what you're missing, here's a whole thread about it! A short and sweet breakdown would be that Overkill prided themselves on community outreach and trust, kept going back on that over the course of the past few years, but it wasn't until they added microtransactions and made the community out to be the bad guys that things really started to boil over.

Alesso is a Swedish DJ, Overkill is also Swedish, which was pretty much the basis for them making an entire heist advertising him. Le Castle Vania I believe provided music for John Wick, which was a movie that Payday received promotional DLC for. They must have gotten in touch with him at some point during that partnership to hire him for extra tracks.

As for what you're missing, here's a whole thread about it! A short and sweet breakdown would be that Overkill prided themselves on community outreach and trust, kept going back on that over the course of the past few years, but it wasn't until they added microtransactions and made the community out to be the bad guys that things really started to boil over.

Thanks for the informative answer, I am clearly out of the Payday loop.

Lomax

Costume Quest 2 being in the weeklongs could mean we'll see a price mistake when the Halloween sales hit, because it's almost certainly set up for a sale there too.

iosefe

forgive my dumb question but does idle master drop cards anymore or just idle to the 2 hr mark? i ran it for about 4 hours the other day and got nothing

you can idle all the games up to 2hrs, then it will idle them individually, or you can go straight to individual. it's a safe assumption that the game it was idle has horrible drop times

dex3108

There's a lot of things which don't add up. Publicly available reports show that Overkill is doing incredibly well financially, and aren't really in the type of danger Almir likes to say they are. Between the influx of cashflow from the Overkill/Completely Overkill packs, steady money from cheap DLC packs and funds allocated from 505, it all makes the PR spin much more obvious and hollow.

They are also spending money on VR HMD without any good reason and they don;t have enough money to compete with Vive/Oculus. They are bad with money management and they have too many people for projects that they are doing.

zkylon

zkylewd
payday 2 is like the most annoying game to have installed ever

it has like weekly updates, group notifications popups, new dlc all the time, it's like give me back my life already ;_;

Annubis

Come on now guys, what I posted wasn't actually messing with him. :p

I'm serious with mine too.
It's not like it's hard to make a virtual machine.
You can get a Win7 environment straight from MS (not licensed, but Win7 doesn't care - no windows updates for virtual machine? lol I don't care)

Just need a lot of RAM to run 3 Windows and a good video card.

pahamrick

You can get a Win7 environment straight from MS (not licensed, but Win7 doesn't care - no windows updates for virtual machine? lol I don't care)

Serious, sure -- also a bit insane.

Are any of the Uplay rewards for Child of Light actually worth it? It just looks like microtransaction type stuff to make the game go faster.

Nope, I didn't get any of them. I barely used any potions or stardust going through the game and I went through on the hardest difficulty. You can use a guide to get the confessions. The only stuff that might be worthwhile is the artwork.

Arthea

There are two things wrong with this world, one is stupidity, other is Microsoft (windows specifically), I don't remember who was that guy was that had win updates disabled but he turns to be the smart one, because recently windows updater tried to fry my new hard disk literally, I'm still not sure I saved it, but let's hope I did, never again. I'm just so used to auto updates that to remember updating manually will be a pain but so less costly that it's not even a competition.

edited: actually three things, because Chrome is right up there at the top, power hungry google and their ways

madjoki

Is there any virtual machine that supports GPU calls?

I guess there is PCI-e passthrough if you have multiple GPUs and CPU which supports it, but apart from that?

Still waiting for 5 dollar Yaiba

It's worth more than that.
You'll get $10 out of it, I'd wager, so grab it the next time it's on sale.

Come on now guys, what I posted wasn't actually messing with him. :p

I wasn't really messing with him, specifically.
I was more or less messing with the original post that questioned whether the EE on consoles was different than PC. There's literally no reason it should be and considering the game started on PC and the update is coming for free to PC owners, it wouldn't really make much sense to have Larian make a "alternate" enhanced edition for PC that lacked features put into the console.
Jawmuncher just had the privilege of being the post that I decided to use to be snarky/sarcastic about the notion. From there, it was just more fun poked at some of the #PCMR elitisms that pop up now and again, but hey, sometimes joking and the truth are closely related. ;)

There are two things wrong with this world, one is stupidity, other is Microsoft (windows specifically), I don't remember who was that guy was that had win updates disabled but he turns to be the smart one, because recently windows updater tried to fry my new hard disk literally, I'm still not sure I saved it, but let's hope I did, never again. I'm just so used to auto updates that to remember updating manually will be a pain but so less costly that it's not even a competition.

edited: actually three things, because Chrome is right up there at the top, power hungry google and their ways

How did "MS updates" try to "fry your new hard disk literally"? o_O

Kind of regret not getting it when it was $10 on Steam almost a year ago. Oh well, Winter Sale is around the corner.

Grab it this time, dammit. It's a fun ride.

Because fuck you, give me money.

Pretty much.

AHA-Lambda

Ugh, just saw that you need to complete the main game before RE5 will let you play the DLC >_>

I already played the base game on 360 but not the DLC >_<

pahamrick

I wasn't really messing with him, specifically.

I figured that out pretty early. ;) I'm just used to getting disbelief when I mention that you can do what I said to essentially split-screen on separate screens.

Sure, it's not possible with all games -- but it is possible with some! Ah well, I still hope for the day that other devs don't strip out features from PC versions just because.

Ugh, just saw that you need to complete the main game before RE5 will let you play the DLC >_>

I already played the base game on 360 but not the DLC >_<

Google and download a completed save so you can play the DLC?

Omaer

Banned

I just like to run xp from W7 for vintage programs.

Although from what I know of Linux it seems the much better option. I am planning to move over to Linux after I'm done w/ W7. W8 is meh & W10 is pretty much NSA @ this point.

I know Chrome consumes alot. But as for the whole update fiasco. From what I know its only for W10. My W7 is running great.

Omaer

Banned
I figured that out pretty early. ;) I'm just used to getting disbelief when I mention that you can do what I said to essentially split-screen on separate screens.

Sure, it's not possible with all games -- but it is possible with some! Ah well, I still hope for the day that other devs don't strip out features from PC versions just because.

Google and download a completed save so you can play the DLC?

They're probably trying to make the consoles & PC look similar in performance so gullible fans continue to dish out the $$$ to them.

yuraya

Skeleton with swords sounds like something out of Dark Souls.

Has DS2 ever been bundled? That could be one of the games they are teasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom