• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
First

CRibObsVEAAg1Vo.jpg

Second

CSQxie7UwAA9VZw.jpg

The skeleton opened the door.
Cellar door games... Rogue Legacy

Arthea

How did "MS updates" try to "fry your new hard disk literally"? o_O

running background checks at the rate that my hard disk was always at 100%, I had no monitoring software running all that time and only noticed when hard disk started to make ticking, clicking noises (meaning way too late), I disabled it, hoped I was in time, but apparently I wasn't. I hope warranty will cover this, if not, I'm so screwed, no Trails for me any time soon.

I could try to play it on a laptop... maybe I will try.

fake edit: you could say I should have noticed earlier by the general sluggishness of everything. and indeed, I should have, but I didn't for some reason. Well, now I see that there were plenty of signs.
Oh well

bigzgod

Did they ever mention how many games are actually in a monthly bundle?

Yup

Q: Which games are in the Humble Monthly Bundle?

It will contains 6 games each month. All the games will be for Steam, but in the future, the bundle may include DRM-Free games or games for other platforms too. (via IGN)
• 1 hot title - Less than one year old.
• 1 highly-acclaimed title - Between one to two years old.
• 1-2 hit indie games.
• 1-2 hidden gems from developers.

bigzgod

Actually IGN removed that quickly, so it might not be reliable / up-to-date information.

True but the pattern fits so far.

Gat Out of Hell would be the "hit" game. Torchlight 2 will be one of the hit indie games. Besiege is another hit indie title.

That leaves the two hidden gems and the highly acclaimed title.

Hey guys I've got a question about Steam downloadspeed. I usally get around 1 MB/s but the task manager tells me, steam consumes around 9 MB/s. Plus, an internet speed test shows a possible download speed of 16 MB/s.
Any ideas why the numbers are the way they are and if there is a way to improve the downloadvolume?

Hey guys I've got a question about Steam downloadspeed. I usally get around 1 MB/s but the task manager tells me, steam consumes around 9 MB/s. Plus, an internet speed test shows a possible download speed of 16 MB/s.
Any ideas why the numbers are the way they are and if there is a way to improve the downloadvolume?

Maybe change your Steam download server in settings?

Nzyme32

madjoki

True but the pattern fits so far.

Gat Out of Hell would be the "hit" game. Torchlight 2 will be one of the hit indie games. Besiege is another hit indie title.

That leaves the two hidden gems and the highly acclaimed title.

Might be true for first bundle. I think humble said 5 games on average, for example, which doesn't match that.

I think you are confusing bits and bytes.

1 Megabyte per second (steam displays this) = 8 Megabits per second. (task manager displays this)

donny2112

Halloween sale will probably just be a weekend sale type thing, no reason to end the weeklies early for that.

I'm hoping for something interesting. Kind of hit and miss, but more Steam sales means a higher chance of having something I want to get. It's also a good excuse for someone wanting to put their game on sale to make it happen to get some extra eyes on it. Means possibly more than just horror games.

Eh. Probably won't be much, but doesn't hurt to keep an eye out!

Might be true for first bundle. I think humble said 5 games on average, for example, which doesn't match that.

I think you are confusing bits and bytes.

1 Megabyte per second (steam displays this) = 8 Megabits per second. (task manager displays this)

I seriously never noticed that the task manager shows data in bits D: Feel kinda dumb now.
Thanks anyway :)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Roller Coaster Tycoon World Enters Beta This Weekend

Roller Coaster Tycoon World isn’t leaving the station until December, but faithful fans can start playing this weekend. Atari is planning its first beta weekend to begin this Friday, October 30.

Anyone that has already purchased the game via Steam will be in the beta automatically. If you ordered directly from Atari, you’ll need to activate your copy on Steam. This test will focus on roller coaster building, so the financial model and peeps (your park visitors) won’t be active during this weekend.

You will be able to use the entire coaster building toolset, simulation, physics, first-person riding, scenery you can place in your park, and more will be featured. You’ll only have access to the forest scenery type this time out, though.

The beta will end on November 2. A second weekend test is planned for November.

You can see a new batch of screenshots below. Release is planned for December 10.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So apparently Steam broke its concurrent user record twice in one week. More than 10 million one week ago, more than 11 million a couple of days ago. Does someone feel like making a new thread for this news?

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/steam...11-million-steam-users-online-simultaneously/

So this is worldwide just people in the client? Seems kinda low actually. I'm in steam right now even though I'm not at my PC. Do most people not run the client all the time?

Cellar door games... Rogue Legacy

Hasn't it been bundled before?
I suppose it could be a "classic"...

urgh...

Anyone got a save? :p

I'm sure there are RE5 PC saves out on the internet somewhere.
Though if you're suspicious about getting things from unverified sources...

Teeth and eyeshape of the skeleton looks like the ones from Crypt of the Necrodancer. They don't have swords though

Reminds me of DUNGEONS for some reason... and that's been on sale a lot lately, but not enough for me to pull the trigger.

running background checks at the rate that my hard disk was always at 100%, I had no monitoring software running all that time and only noticed when hard disk started to make ticking, clicking noises (meaning way too late), I disabled it, hoped I was in time, but apparently I wasn't. I hope warranty will cover this, if not, I'm so screwed, no Trails for me any time soon.

Maybe it's just a bad drive?
The behaviour you describe (checking in the background for updates) shouldn't be something that could (1) drive your HDD to 100% utilization regularly or (2) do so to the extent that errors are occuring in a short time if it's new.

Either way, good luck with fixing it.

Annubis

The behaviour you describe (checking in the background for updates) shouldn't be something that could (1) drive your HDD to 100% utilization regularly or (2) do so to the extent that errors are occuring in a short time if it's new.

Win10 does keep drives running because of data collection.
They even brought over those functionalities to Win7/8 with updates.

http://bgr.com/2015/08/28/windows-10-features-spying-windows-7-8/

What the hell are you talking about?

What the hell are you talking about? "Keep the drives running" because of "data collection". There are way more efficient ways to collect relevant data than categorically going through all the files.

File indexing is the thing that makes your (bad) drives go 100%. It's a feature of Windows Search, which enables you to find shit on your PC very quickly.

Fuck, I really want the Xbox One wireless adaptor, but don't feel like getting Windows 10. Classic Microsoft, never giving an easy solution.

Hmm ubisoft added sort numbers (sortas) for AC Unity and AC Syndicate.

https://steamdb.info/app/289650/history/

https://steamdb.info/app/368500/history/

I guess some SteamGAF users will appreciate this :D
What does this mean? Noob question.

Is there any virtual machine that supports GPU calls?

I guess there is PCI-e passthrough if you have multiple GPUs and CPU which supports it, but apart from that?
This will be of interest to you.
You know, I was thinking for a long while how nice it would be to be able for two people to play two separate games at once, running on one PC. With how powerful PCs can be and how less performance older titles and even many newer ones need.

And then today, bam! I see this video. 2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower - Virtualized Gaming Build Log
It's incredible! Exactly what I always wanted to see. Granted, I thought it would be much easier and without the need for Virtualization but it is such an impressive and interesting thing to see actually work. So cool.

Annubis

What the hell are you talking about? "Keep the drives running" because of "data collection". There are way more efficient ways to collect relevant data than categorically going through all the files.

File indexing is the thing that makes your (bad) drives go 100%. It's a feature of Windows Search, which enables you to find shit on your PC very quickly.

There's also a lot more continuously running that overtime will reduce lifespan.
Heck, some parts of Win10 are actual keyloggers.

Knurek

It's interesting that Bethesda is willing to give us preload for Fallout 4, promise no Denuvo use and lots of other nice things, and yet Wolfenstein can't go back on Steam due to 'technical reasons'...

Arthea

unfortunately it can, I'm living witness of it. I'm not saying it's a constant issue, but bugs like that really shouldn't be even be able to happen at all, there are safeguards that can be put in place to prevent things like that. As games setting your GPU on fire too. But we aren't living in an ideal world and I have my luck with bugs, a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom