• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Hey SteamGAF is there YT playlist that contains songs from Life is Strange? I know that there is Spotify one but i don;t use Hola anymore so i can't access it.

Kifimbo

Since Vertiginous Golf is free today, I just wanted to post the number of owners before that estimate disappear. From SteamSpy.

Owners: 12,098 ± 2,910

Not great, but not bad either.

So Assassin's Creed Syndicate will go after Assassin's Creed Unity in your library even though alphabetically it comes before.
Yup, nice that someone cares about little details like that at Ubi but honestly, I am surprised there is no option yet for manual arrangement in the Client.

Arthea

Since Vertiginous Golf is free today, I just wanted to post the number of owners before that estimate disappear. From SteamSpy.

It's very generous of them to give it away before the winter sale, because I probably would have picked it then, as it was on my wl

Coreda

jhc, you can't go anywhere without encountering MGSV spoilers. Viewed a couple of GZ clips on the tubes and first comments are spoilers, and subsequent replies. This game.

jhc, you can't go anywhere without encountering MGSV spoilers. Viewed a couple of GZ clips on the tubes and first comments are spoilers, and subsequent replies. This game.

Whenever someone says "Be quiet!" they assume it's about the character.

This is all probably part of Kojima's grandmaster plan.

How does one make ones harddrives sound less? Those are the ones that sound det most from my rig.
One buys an SSD :)

Honestly though, HDDs shouldn't make that much of a noise. When opening files on my HDD after not having used it for a while, it kinda starts up and that is noticeable but after that it doesn't stay audible.
Are your drives old, did they always make the same noise?

Annubis

My dust encrusted fans are the worst part of my computer noise.
I could fix that by getting new fans but I don't really mind, and anyway, my place is so dusty that the new fans would get noisy really fast anyway =(

Coreda

Whenever someone says "Be quiet!" they assume it's about the character.

This is all probably part of Kojima's grandmaster plan.

It wasn't that one, but another I wasn't aware of. The problem is with games and films that feature gotcha twists. Players of this game are about as good at keeping spoilers as Star Wars fans are at revealing Vader's secret in Empire :p

Honestly though, HDDs shouldn't make that much of a noise. When opening files on my HDD after not having used it for a while, it kinda starts up and that is noticeable but after that it doesn't stay audible.

That's the upgrade I'm eyeballing next... I want a large SSD to start putting Steam games on...

Monooboe

Haha yeah, going all SSD would be nice.:D The drives are completely new, they don't sound much but since the rest of the computer is so quiet I've started to notice them. They spin all the time and the case vibrates a little. Think they are normal since they show to have little activity when checking the performance info in windows.

rtcn63

Haha yeah, going all SSD would be nice.:D The drives are completely new, they don't sound much but since the rest of the computer is so quiet I've started to notice them. They spin all the time and the case vibrates a little. Think they are normal since they show to have little activity when checking the performance info in windows.

Does your case have those little rubber circles to sit the HDD on top of? I wonder if you can buy those on ebay or something.

madjoki

This will be of interest to you.

Thanks, haven't seen this. My main interest was if there's "software" solution (ie. using main GPU in virtual machine). PCI-e passthrough (VT-d for Intel CPUs) requires special CPU support and Intel (at least used to) disable it in high-end range.

It's very generous of them to give it away before the winter sale, because I probably would have picked it then, as it was on my wl

Yup, I wonder why they chose to do this. It's weird decision when game hasn't been on deep sale and they don't have DLC (gold is fairly small stuff for relatively high price) or sequel to sell for those who like.

Nabs

New Steam Beta:

General
  • Changed controller Steam/Xbox button behavior:
    • Old behavior: Hold down 3 seconds to launch Big Picture (or single press if you were in desktop Steam).
    • New behavior: Pressing once will change focus to Steam if it doesn't have focus. If it has focus, pressing once will launch Big Picture.
    • Fixes collision with the hold-down-for-4-seconds method of turning off the controller.
  • Improved startup times for users with a large number of games
  • Added a "New For You" option to the view menu so you can go back to past offers and view their details
  • Fixed play button for non-Steam games showing "Preload" in some cases

Big Picture
  • Significantly improved performance in the Library area for users with a large number of games
  • Updated status bar look at the top of the main menu
  • Fixed "New For You" items not activating when selected
  • Fixed in-game crash when using the Daisy Wheel keyboard
  • Fixed buttons mis-firing on the Steam Controller right after leaving a game

In-Home Streaming

• Fixed some causes of audio stutter when streaming at high bitrate
  • Fixed always-black video on some multi-GPU, multi-monitor systems

Mac OS X
  • Fixed focus issues when displaying 2 modal dialogs at the same time
  • Fixed slow shutdown when you had a Steam Controller connected

Lomax

I picked it up for gems during the winter auction last year, it's a pretty game, but it's basically putt-putt on a Steampunk style course. I guess I was hoping it was more like actual golf as that would have been more distinctive, as it is, it feels more like a puzzle game than a sports game really. I also found it to be pretty taxing on my system as it clearly emphasizes graphical flourish.

Seems weird they went with the whole "free for one day" promotion, I can't really see any possible way that benefits them, it's not like there's a sequel coming out that needs promotion and they haven't really bundled it any either. It will be interesting to see how many people grab it though.

madjoki

New Steam Beta:

Changed controller Steam/Xbox button behavior:

- Old behavior: Hold down 3 seconds to launch Big Picture (or single press if you were in desktop Steam).
- New behavior: Pressing once will change focus to Steam if it doesn't have focus. If it has focus, pressing once will launch Big Picture.

more here: http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791433918461#announcements/detail/48771165951552962

I feel this is more interesting for most of us:

Improved startup times for users with a large number of games

Monooboe

Does your case have those little rubber circles to sit the HDD on top of? I wonder if you can buy those on ebay or something.

Not sure if there were any of those, they are not in a plastic thingie that slides into place in the case, but sounds like that would be a good solution to further rubber it.

http://www.eteknix.com/bethesdas-fallout-4-will-feature-nvidias-gameworks/

I wonder if Fallout 4 using GameWorks is going to affect performance of AMD users negatively. At least during the launch window.

It's interesting that Bethesda is willing to give us preload for Fallout 4, promise no Denuvo use and lots of other nice things, and yet Wolfenstein can't go back on Steam due to 'technical reasons'...

Wolfenstein '09 is only appealing because it's forbidden fruit. It's such a thoroughly average shooter and it has not aged well. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is more fun to play than '09. If Bethesda ever bothers to get it back on Steam and people actually want to own Wolf '09 beyond purely collecting, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Werd

I reaaaaally should have waited for all the hints before ordering the bundle, didn't realize there would be any. So far looking like mostly repeats for me, pending the guesses being wrong.

Ooo, I like this. Since the old way Steam would switch to BPM in the background if it wasn't in focus. So annoying.

It's a step toward giving me the option to ignore it completely, but not quite there yet.
At least now, if I quit out of games and the desktop has focus, I can hold the "guide" button on my controller to turn it off without starting BPM.

Nabs

It's a step toward giving me the option to ignore it completely, but not quite there yet.
At least now, if I quit out of games and the desktop has focus, I can hold the "guide" button on my controller to turn it off without starting BPM.

You can also hold the option button and tap the PS button to turn it off. It won't trigger anything that way.

Unai

Ok, now this has potential. I can't remember a game that was based in the Weeping Angels. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there's another game that has a similar enemy.

Angels-and-Boos.jpg

I have a weird question, I have my desktop at 1080p but scaled to 150% as i'm comfy couching. Why do most games and BPM say I'm actually running at 720p? It assumes I should run at 720p and says that I would get the greatest benefit (?) from staying at that resolution.

I'll tell you right now the general GAF thoughts. Great gameplay, however the story wasn't all that. Which I agree with. It's still my current GOTY, but after all of the build up I expected a bit more.

Yeah that's the vibe I've been getting, and I kinda feel the same way. Which is kinda funny because this is probably going to go down as my 2nd favourite MGS game after 3. It's been really fun to play that I'm willing to overlook some of the lack of focus on the story.

Lomax

I have a weird question, I have my desktop at 1080p but scaled to 150% as i'm comfy couching. Why do most games and BPM say I'm actually running at 720p? It assumes I should run at 720p and says that I would get the greatest benefit (?) from staying at that resolution.

I guess the obvious question is, are you sure your TV is 1080p? Plenty of TVs are only 720p.

Grief.exe

Is your TV 1080i by chance?

Edit: probably not in 2014.

redlacs

Might wanna save it for Halloween since it only takes 5 hours to beat.

already got 10+ hours out of it before even starting SP campaing (only sneak peaked to find out its different from the coop one). and then there are Hit List missons (which frankly are similar to coop campaing but one needs to beat some of them for the achievements anyway, so may as well play all. last difficulty sometimes got us sweating, though it would be definitely easier with full lobby).

but youre right, i will need another game for halloween. this one is more gory rather than spooky, anyway. its just that i almost forgot about it after the bundle ended and it seems now crazy it was in the $1 tier. if anyone has been also just sitting on it, consider diving in. pleasant surprise for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom