• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.

Rockstar Social Club to be the raging new trend with younglings. Steam is done for. Shut it down.

I've seen complaints online that the Steam version wasn't updated to work with some new change they made in the Social Club DRM and it resulted in a lot of users just getting a CTD. I guess I assume they removed it from Steam and are going Social Club exclusive on it for PC now.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
I have a CTD everytime I try to access the online.

chronomac

$40.19 (33% off)

Game includes a one-time bonus of $500,000 to use in GTA Online. Limited time offer ends Nov 3rd at 10am PST.
SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends November 3

Ruruja

Now you're being facetious. What's the end goal of Sony having an event at Paris Game show? To show off their upcoming titles. Nintendo used to do press conferences but in the age of streaming and instant communication via the internet these events reaching a much larger audience than just the press they changed things up and gave their titles a much more personal touch whilst showing them off. I'm sorry but I just can't get excited about a bunch of executives spewing a load of buzzwords on stage. As I said it bores me to tears. Good for you if that's your sort of thing.

I agree Nintendo's might be a better way to do it in theory, obviously I'd rather watch gameplay/trailers over guys talking, but you can't deny the traditional press conference gets more discussion and people watching it.

I watched Sony's E3 conference live at like 3am in UK, and the FF7R and Shenmue III reveals with the crowd going nuts could only be done in that traditional way, that and you won't get all the crazy memes like caffeine guy and Konami's entire 2011 conference, but I guess you don't really care about those either.

Like I said, Nintendo's might be better and they'll all probably end up doing it like that in the future, but it'll be a sad day for me personally when they do. It's part of the circus.

They can't remove GTA V...there are sales coming up and they have to raise the base price by adding Shark Cards then apply the discount so the game is still the same price as before

Xanathus

Dragon Age Inquisition is on sale for 65% off (in my region) on Origin but not the GOTY version. Are the DLCs worth waiting for a sale on the GOTY version?

chronomac

I agree Nintendo's might be a better way to do it in theory, obviously I'd rather watch gameplay/trailers over guys talking, but you can't deny the traditional press conference gets more discussion and people watching it.
You have numbers to back that up?

I watched Sony's E3 conference live at like 3am in UK, and the FF7R and Shenmue III reveals with the crowd going nuts could only be done in that traditional way, that and you don't get all the crazy memes like caffeine guy and Konami's entire 2011 conference, but I guess you don't really care about those either.
Nintendo Directs can be made into memes just as easily. Yes you're right that the audience reaction is fun but the biggest reaction to Shenmue 3 came from GT.

Im seeing $33.49 USD
Weird. Is there a discount for owning some other Rockstar game?

Grief.exe

Rockstar will never remove GFWL from GTAIV
Rockstar will never port Read Dead
Fanto will always talk about PS4 exclusives in PC threads

E9ixyCY.gif

Dragon Age Inquisition is on sale for 65% off (in my region) on Origin but not the GOTY version. Are the DLCs worth waiting for a sale on the GOTY version?

Gif is also relevant for this post.

Dr Dogg

I watched Sony's E3 conference live at like 3am in UK, and the FF7R and Shenmue III reveals with the crowd going nuts could only be done in that traditional way, that and you won't get all the crazy memes like caffeine guy and Konami's entire 2011 conference, but I guess you don't really care about those either.

Like I said, Nintendo's might be better and they'll all probably end up doing it like that in the future, but it'll be a sad day for me personally when they do. It's part of the circus.

That's a bit presumptuous to say I don't care about aspects I haven't touched upon regards to live pressers. Look at the two elements you're bring up in Mr Caffeine and Konami's crazy E3 of 2010 and compare them to my bug bear I brought up about specifically Sony's press events. What was my issue with Sony's events and why do they bore me? Because they generally have executives that waffle on about things that would be more apt in an earnings call than Tak Fujii and his 1 million trooops! Surely you can see my issue I raise as to why I'm not interested and don't have to jump to conclusions?

Durante

Challenge:
Find a game on Steam whose reviews are Mostly Negative or worse, but that you recommend people play.

To make it fair, exclude decent AAA games who got review-bombed into oblivion because of DRM, bugs, or decisions the fanbase didn't like (so no Arkham Knight or similar)
I thought this was an interesting question (for what it potentially tells us about Steam scores) so I went through most of my library and checked the "candidates" I liked which I expected to be rated somewhat poorly but which I enjoyed. The vast majority of them were positive, quite a few even very positive, and only a scant few mixed. None were mostly negative.

I guess you really have to mess up to arrive at that score.

Uzzy

February 16th for SFV? That's cool, I finally know what week to book off work.

Dhalsim getting confirmed is anti hype though. What a crappy addition.

Knurek

I thought this was an interesting question (for what it potentially tells us about Steam scores) so I went through most of my library and checked the "candidates" I liked which I expected to be rated somewhat poorly but which I enjoyed. The vast majority of them were positive, quite a few even very positive, and only a scant few mixed. None were mostly negative.

I guess you really have to mess up to arrive at that score.

Steam reviews are just broken.
It's simply not possible to have 90% of the whole store be amazing, 8% be so-so and and 2% being crap. It just doesn't work this way.

Also, the fact that it doesn't take into account the number of votes is insane.
A game with one positive review is placed higher than a game with 10k reviews, 94% of them positive.

Hektor

HOLY SHIT

No one applauded when that sony guy started jerking off on "Playstation exclusive ingame content."

What a day to be alive.

Grief.exe

Holy shit. Ubi actually remembered to discount Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery). They generally forget. https://t.co/koiGYJikE6

No DRM either
Wait what? I thought Inquisition was generally well-received, just that it came out at a bad time with other big releases.

Mainstream critics seem to enjoy the game, but the long-term consensus on GAF has been abysmal.

It seems to be extremely shallow game on the series, but if you enjoy Skyrim than there is a good chance you will enjoy this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's simply not possible to have 90% of the whole store be amazing, 8% be so-so and and 2% being crap. It just doesn't work this way.

A game with one positive review is placed higher than a game with 10k reviews, 94% of them positive.

I agree that they're not indicative of actual critical review, as Stump pointed out they're similar to the CinemaScore numbers for movies: the people reviewing games on the store are the same ones that were initially drawn to it for some other reason and spent money on purchasing it.

But it's all weighted (slightly) so that your last statement isn't true. Games with 10k reviews, 94% positive are categorized as "Overwhelmingly Positive" and get a higher "ranking" than games with 1 positive review. With one positive review, a game is simply "Positive" (such as this example at present). This is even farther below "Very Positive" (such as this game with 10,000 reviews at 89%).

MUnited83

For you.

They aren't broken at all. A game having "mostly positive" ranking doesn't mean that it's a 10/10 game. It means that most people have a positive opinion on it. Which how a review system should work, not on a branding of "hey this game is overall a 77/100 because reasons".
And your second argument is factually wrong. It does take into account the number of votes. A game with one positive review does not rank higher than a game with 10k revies (94% positive)

Xanathus

RUMOR: Someone is claiming Humble Bundle showed them what games they were getting when they signed up for the Humble Bundle Monthly
https://se.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/3qfwgg/humble_bundle_monthly_deal/
I signed up and it showed me what the games were going to be for the month... not sure if that's how it is supposed to go but it told me I was getting:
Saints Row 4 http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/206420/[1] (roughly $17)
Besieged http://store.steampowered.com/app/346010/[2] (roughly $9)
Valkria Chronicles: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/[3] (roughly $21)
The unlock (which I assume everyone has seen) was Legends of Grimlock 2 (roughly $30)
There looked to be LoG2 DLC as well but I don't see it on steam store.
Did I see something I wasn't supposed to there? So my $12 investment should be worth roughly 70-80$ of games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom