• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiah

Challenge:
Find a game on Steam whose reviews are Mostly Negative or worse, but that you recommend people play.

To make it fair, exclude decent AAA games who got review-bombed into oblivion because of DRM, bugs, or decisions the fanbase didn't like (so no Arkham Knight or similar)

Arkham Knight was the best I could come up with, but even that is "only" mixed.

The other thing I would name is Clive Barkers Jericho, but I cant check the store page for user reviews due to it being blocked in germany.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Baron_Calamity, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Baron_Calamity, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Downwell -- MB-65778B85B0A00516 - Taken by Benedict. 39 entrants total.

t1445966620z1.png

I always watch Sony conferences. The majority of the games shown end up being multiplatform.
Most excited about No Man's Sky for now. Just minutes ago I saw a News Video on a German Youtube page and apparently there are rumors about the game coming soon?! Sadly though, we'll get details about PC release not during but after the show as usual.

Deitus

no, it was negative with thousands of reviews, I might have posted a pic, will try to find it

I remember that being posted in the Steam thread a long time ago. But I think it was a bug in Enhanced Steam that was incorrectly calculating percentage of popular reviews. I happened to find this after a quick google search:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/discussions/0/540744936440016201/

I assume if this was a bug, it has since been fixed though, as that was over a year ago.

AHA-Lambda

Challenge:
Find a game on Steam whose reviews are Mostly Negative or worse, but that you recommend people play.

To make it fair, exclude decent AAA games who got review-bombed into oblivion because of DRM, bugs, or decisions the fanbase didn't like (so no Arkham Knight or similar)

Deus Ex The Fall.

I'm serious. I liked it.

It's basically a bite size Deus Ex 3, although clearly designed for tablets.

Dr Dogg

I always watch Sony conferences. The majority of the games shown end up being multiplatform.

Personally even if they will feature titles that might come my way I just can't stomach Sony conferences these days. Way too many suits, way too much smug self congratulatory talk, Boyes is alright and has some good energy but the rest of them just bore me to tears. If I was suffering from insomnia I'd pop on a Sony presser. 30 seconds of Michael Denny and I'm out like a light and Shaun Ladden probably could do it sooner. Only way to watch any presser and retain some sanity for me is with the Giant Bomb guys yaking all over them.

Hektor

Cant wait for more Nier Automata to be shown. Already had a meltdown a few hours ago in the respective thread. Cant wait for another one.

I'm really excited for the new Quantic Dream game steam friends
I really am

Hopefully if that No Man's Sky sudden release rumor is true we get it the same day instead of them pushing it out for a few months.

Anteater

lashman can talk?

If you add together the first letter of all his posts for the last few months it says "please send help trapped at valve hq" 0__0 oh god poor lashman, we had no idea :)

we've been misunderstanding lashman all along

I know it's not popular on SteamGAF due to Klei being lazy, garbage because they won't add achievements, but I recommend people try out Don't Starve.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219740

...oh

97% user score. Never mind.

that'sfrostbait.gif

Holy fuck, February is surely saturated. And it now joins Street Fighter V (Feb 16):

CSVhodSUsAAtrbA.png

And, 3 major games on the 23th alone, damn :/
Far Cry Primal so early already? Man, it must be treated like an experiment by the suits at Ubi.
Cool that it got greenlit even though it has business cardinal sin of lacking modern weapons.

Dr Dogg

I'd rather listen to suits that are capable of public speaking than devs awkwardly bumbling and stuttering through their speech though. A good suit mind, not someone like Don Mattrick.

I'd rather have neither and just see some footage of their game thanks. If you want a good example how to show off your titles to the public go look at Nintendo's output the last couple of years. Sure there's some awkward moments but it's way more informative and digestible than anything Sony, Microsoft, EA, Ubi et al have ever done.

Lomax

Challenge:

I enjoyed Dungeon of Elements for the time I played it, it's a puzzle rpg hybrid. People who are into that genre would enjoy it I think.

Edit: Also STAR WARS™ The Clone Wars™ - Republic Heroes™ is a solid game, it's only rated that low because of GFWL. And maybe because of all the trademark symbols.

Double Edit: I used to love Deadlock, but that was a long time ago and apparently the Steam version is broken.

Final Edit: I played, beat, and got 100% of the achievements for Kick-Ass 2 in one day. It was mindless enough to play that it fell into the "so bad it's good" category for me.

So yeah, maybe four recommendations out of twenty pages of games. I guess in that respect the scoring does work.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm really excited for the new Quantic Dream game steam friends
I really am

Hopefully if that No Man's Sky sudden release rumor is true we get it the same day instead of them pushing it out for a few months.

I'm really looking forward to see whatever they got in store for us. Quantic Dream, despite the subpar writing of the games, are great devs. What they accomplished with the PS3 was insane.

Ruruja

I'd rather have neither and just see some footage of their game thanks. If you want a good example how to show off your titles to the public go look at Nintendo's output the last couple of years. Sure there's some awkward moments but it's way more informative and digestible than anything Sony, Microsoft, EA, UBi et all have ever done.

Nintendo's isn't a press conference.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I remember that being posted in the Steam thread a long time ago. But I think it was a bug in Enhanced Steam that was incorrectly calculating percentage of popular reviews. I happened to find this after a quick google search:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/232430/discussions/0/540744936440016201/

I assume if this was a bug, it has since been fixed though, as that was over a year ago.

That's likely what people are referring to here, but it wasn't so much a bug as it was Enhanced Steam having limited access to review data after reviews were implemented but before the "blue" (v6) store update.

Before the store update, Enhanced Steam had to retrieve the review data manually, 10 reviews at a time via an undocumented and unsupported API. As such, it was impractical to retrieve ALL of a game's reviews, especially if there were hundreds or thousands of reviews. So the compromise is that ES would pull the data 5 times on the reviews voted as "most helpful". In most cases, the 50 "most helpful" reviews were entirely indicative of the reviews overall. In some isolated cases, such as this one, that wasn't the case.

Thankfully, Valve updated the store interface to show data from a range of all the available reviews which rendered the argument presented here mute.

Dr Dogg

Nintendo's isn't a press conference.

Now you're being facetious. What's the end goal of Sony having an event at Paris Game show? To show off their upcoming titles. Nintendo used to do press conferences but in the age of streaming and instant communication via the internet these events reaching a much larger audience than just the press they changed things up and gave their titles a much more personal touch whilst showing them off. I'm sorry but I just can't get excited about a bunch of executives spewing a load of buzzwords on stage. As I said it bores me to tears. Good for you if that's your sort of thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've seen complaints online that the Steam version wasn't updated to work with some new change they made in the Social Club DRM and it resulted in a lot of users just getting a CTD. I guess I assume they removed it from Steam and are going Social Club exclusive on it for PC now.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

EDIT: And apparently I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom