• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Challenge:
Find a game on Steam whose reviews are Mostly Negative or worse, but that you recommend people play.

To make it fair, exclude decent AAA games who got review-bombed into oblivion because of DRM, bugs, or decisions the fanbase didn't like (so no Arkham Knight or similar)

If only Nier was on steam at launch or something ;-;

Grief.exe

Challenge:
Find a game on Steam whose reviews are Mostly Negative or worse, but that you recommend people play.

To make it fair, exclude decent AAA games who got review-bombed into oblivion because of DRM, bugs, or decisions the fanbase didn't like (so no Arkham Knight or similar)

That's an interesting challenge, is there an easy way to sort by review score? You can on Steamspy, but a quick glance only shows the top 100 games.

Toki767

Challenge:

I was going to say Bad Rats, but reviews are Mostly Positive lol

Arthea

Challenge:

many Gone Home posts incoming

I don't recommend it, just to be clear.

edited: the hell, what happened to all negative Gone Home reviews? It's now mostly positive. When did this happen?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

That'd require it to actually be as bad as you say it is.

6K1fVMm.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's an interesting challenge, is there an easy way to sort by review score? You can on Steamspy, but a quick glance only shows the top 100 games.

The list starts about here

Trying to find something myself, mired in this garbage. Even Unearthed got "mixed" reviews (51% positive)

Does anyone here know if this site is legit or not?
https://givesupport.to/

As in, does it actually get the rights to the Steam/Uplay/Origin keys it's selling or is it a CD-Key reseller? They sent me an e-mail asking me to set up a shop with them in which they'll have a 70/15/15 split(Dev/Shop/Me)

Dr Dogg

Challenge:

Sooooo how about a massive turd that really is bad but even though you also agree it's bad would still recommend because you like playing catastrophes first hand? That count? Even though it's removed from the store front and I've just spent 20 mins trying to dig up a post of mine for 18 months ago about it?

Actually that sounds like your experience with Colonial Marines and Legendary.

Arthea

That'd require it to actually be as bad as you say it is.

http://i.imgur.com/6K1fVMm.png[/img[/QUOTE]

It is, something is really fishy here, smells so bad that I don't even have to start with conspiracy theories, those write themselves

[quote="jshackles, post: 183116787"][URL="http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&sort_by=Reviews_DESC&page=242&category1=998"]The list starts about here[/URL]

Trying to find something myself, mired in this garbage. Even Unearthed got "mixed" reviews (51% positive)[/QUOTE]

hey jshackles, I wanted to ask you something, I'll be without my PC for a while, and I'm not letting Chrome to kill my laptop, but I'd like to have ES even an old one, only it's not up for downloading from FF extensions anymore. Any way I can get that older working version now.

Benedict

I do, one of the best games I played the last two years.
Hated Dear Esther and The Stanley Parable was an OKish experience.
Gone Home though was miles above them in experience and something I can truly recommend.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Godus is sitting at "Mostly Negative" and I'm sure Ozium would recommend it...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The list starts about here

Trying to find something myself, mired in this garbage. Even Unearthed got "mixed" reviews (51% positive)

There's a score that movie companies use to rate movies, called CinemaScore. People who watch a film in cinema are asked as they're leaving the film to rate it. The average is in the A range. The reason is, of course, that the kind of people who go see Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill are the kind of people who like Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill. So CinemaScore isn't an honest review of how good something is, it's a review of to what extent the movie connected to its target audience. A low CinemaScore doesn't just mean it's bad, it means it was bad and it didn't attract the people that normally like that kind of garbage.

I feel like Steam's scores are this to a lesser extent. Especially among random zero-impact indie games, there's a massive self-selection bias associated with actually bothering to buy and play the game that drags reviews up.

Also, doesn't Steam use some kind of Bayesian updating method where basically one negative review doesn't make you all-time worst, it makes you somewhere in the middle (i.e. there's a bias in the mean function towards the site's overall mean--so to get spectacular or terrible reviews you need not only consistency in your reviews, but also a lot of them)? So that's another factor counting against games having terrible reviews.

Another musing--given this, wouldn't it be useful to add a function (either to Steam itself or to ES or whatever) at some point that automatically hides games that are Mostly Negative or worse, given what a dramatic misfire it takes to get something into that category?

Still interested in if anyone can find something.

jshackles

hey jshackles, I wanted to ask you something, I'll be without my PC for a while, and I'm not letting Chrome to kill my laptop, but I'd like to have ES even an old one, only it's not up for downloading from FF extensions anymore. Any way I can get that older working version now.

You can download the "newest" version of the Firefox extension from http://firefox.enhancedsteam.com

Kyougar

Challenge:

It is a hell of a task to find such a game I looked through my games that I really like but are not in the general spotlight and they are mostly higher than 90%
Even Agarest has 77%.

the only below 50% game i find in my list (where i checked, is there a better way to check the reviews of your owned games?) is Pride of nations with 45% And thats because of the looooong Turn times (1 to 5 minutes and the game has 1800 turns)

The (good) thing is: Only owners can review games and owners of niche games know what they can expect of that game 8most of the time)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wow, I was gonna say Escape from Dead Island even that got mixed reviews. Why? I mean I kinda like it but....it's a BAD game.

I would recommend people play it cause I need somebody to talk about the story in that game. Cause holy shit. What the hell even happened?

Challenge:

If you don't mind playing kusoge, i'd recommend humanity's asset!

It's the kind of game from the era of the PSX and N64s...the kind of game that people would overlook or ignore because...well...it was filled with bugs, poor graphics or absurd difficulty spikes.

It's no polished game or offers anything new! However, if you're just bored and want to take out your anger and frustration at something, then this game is perfect for you!

The game doesn't go easy on you. No tips or hand holding. It's a very retro game and it should be noted that it was made by one man only.

The game is also filled with broken english, which kinda makes the dialogue amusing. Please do try it for yourself! I recommend it!!!

I honestly don't. Never played it too. >___>

Challenge:

I went through all of my reviews.

"Mixed" games that I recommend:

Amazing Princess Sarah
Inversion
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Ocean City Racing
Sinister City
Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
Wasteland Angel
Woodle Tree Adventures

Nothing in "Mostly Negative" or below however.

Dr Dogg

Well looking at the list of what's on offer Dark Void is probably the only one I'd pick with first hand experience but looking at the reviews it's all about DRM and key activations soooooo I'm going to throw out my loopy thoughts on Ride to Hell: Retribution again. Sure it's removed but it reviewed horribly both by critics and folks on Steam.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106777238&postcount=1217

One of the most unintentional hilarious games I've ever played and if you go into it with the right mind and expecting it to be shit it might put a smile on your face too. Also a great study in how not to design a game.

chronomac

Challenge:

The only thing I could think of was Colin McRae Rally, but I'd only recommend that if it goes on sale again for around $1.39 (like it was last week) and if you don't have any real experience with rally games. It's a light, stripped-down experience that feels more like an appetizer than a whole meal but maybe that's something you want?

The game is easy to downsample, looks pretty sharp in motion and doesn't dip below 60 FPS. Of course it's missing pretty much every graphical setting you can think of (besides resolution) and it's not particularly detailed. So solidly performing but very plain. The controls are easy to grasp and maintain, even if the small numbers of cars aren't particularly customizable.

So it's no doubt the worst of the Dirt/McRae games on Steam but for a little over a dollar you get a decent taste of the franchise to see if it's something you're interested in.

Anyone finished the Park yet :p

Downloading now, hopefully it's a memorable little story. If nothing else I'm happy to support Funcom and hopefully it helps with their Secret World efforts.

Nyoro SF

Yes. It's important data, because wishlisting suggest they want your game but are waiting for a sale. Dusk Golem mentioned that even though his game is free, a lot of people wishlisted it.

Do we actually have a visual for what the developer Steam backend looks like? Or is that not permissible to show others?

RSP

Does anyone here know if this site is legit or not?
https://givesupport.to/

As in, does it actually get the rights to the Steam/Uplay/Origin keys it's selling or is it a CD-Key reseller? They sent me an e-mail asking me to set up a shop with them in which they'll have a 70/15/15 split(Dev/Shop/Me)

Hey! I'm one of the guys working on the site. I was keeping an eye on our analytics and saw a NeoGAF thread pop-up.

We have a catalog of games from major publishers which we're buying from wholesale websites (all keys are provided by either the dev or the publisher, so all keys are 100% guaranteed to come from the right source). We have provided keys to our own games to the same channels and have had nothing but positive experiences with it ourselves. This made us confident enough to offer keys from other parties on our platform as well.

Our goal is to end up working directly with all major (and small) devs and publishers. Today we've started reaching out to YT/Twitch channel owners as well as a whole list of developers. We're getting some good responses, so I expect that very soon we'll have more games that are sold directly from devs and publishers.

Challenge:

Alone in the Dark

jshackles

Okay Stump, here's my suggestion after looking through the available options.

Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale

Granted it only has 255 reviews, and I personally played the game on the Xbox 360, but I didn't think it was that bad. Sure it was pretty simplistic story-wise, and sure the so called "voice acting" was terrible, but if you can look past it's jank there's actually a pretty decent Diablo-clone in there. And it's based on Dungeons and Dragons, so there is a lot of familiar territory for those familiar with the D&D universe. It plays like the bastard sequel to Dark Alliance 2.

Granted, you're way better off playing something like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, but I would recommend Daggerdale to someone who has already played the better D&D games and is wanting more.

JustinBB7

Tried using up all my credit on GMG and using the 23% voucher for Fallout 4 pre-order. (though have to do them as separate purchases).

Try and pay with PayPal and suddenly I get a "Add credit-card" screen. I don't have a credit card... that's why I use paypal...

E-mailed GMG and they said it's not required for them (I bought stuff with PayPal from them before) and told me to ask PayPal. Which will take a while I'm guessing.

Anybody else have to do this all the sudden? Really annoying, I don't need a credit-card and not gonna get one just to use paypal.

Hey! I'm one of the guys working on the site. I was keeping an eye on our analytics and saw a NeoGAF thread pop-up.

We have a catalog of games from major publishers which we're buying from wholesale websites (all keys are provided by either the dev or the publisher, so all keys are 100% guaranteed to come from the right source). We have provided keys to our own games to the same channels and have had nothing but positive experiences with it ourselves. This made us confident enough to offer keys from other parties on our platform as well.

Our goal is to end up working directly with all major (and small) devs and publishers. Today we've started reaching out to YT/Twitch channel owners as well as a whole list of developers. We're getting some good responses, so I expect that very soon we'll have more games that are sold directly from devs and publishers.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes me feel better about recommending it to people. :)

I know it's not popular on SteamGAF due to Klei being lazy, garbage because they won't add achievements, but I recommend people try out Don't Starve.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219740

...oh

97% user score. Never mind.

I could give a remote shit about achievements on Steam. They mean little to nothing on here. If they got them, sometimes I try to get some but, most of the time I don't. If a game doesn't have them I am not gonna let that influence my opinion on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom