• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Anybody know how to fix a sound issue with tales from the Borderlands? Sound starts blaring and doesn't stop until I exit the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD5Nl1D1QQo

http://steamcommunity.com/games/insurgency/announcements/detail/69037803022286718

Whoa.

Just saw the Conquer update video for Insurgency.

The update has doubled the content for some of the co-op gamemodes, as well as adding new weapons, a map (which in traditional fashion should support all the existing gamemodes) and general cool stuff like new sights and attachments.

75 hours in and I still can't get enough of this game.

Game has coop? Is the update for everybody aka free for existing owners?

NcMBOX0.png

PLS NO

Dr Dogg

That's not a 'trick' Black Flag uses double buffered vsync and by its very nature if you can not maintain a framerate equal to the frequency of your display the game will kick down to the next equally divisible framerate (ie 60 to 30). There are many way around this buy using Adaptive Vsync via Nvidia's Control Panel (drop bellow your displays refresh rate and the game will drop syncronisation and tear), use a 3rd party tool like D3D Overider which will enable fake 'Triple Buffering' (actually just a render ahead queue instead of 3 buffers and introduces an extra frame of latency), amened the amount of prerendered frames via your GPU vendors settings menu (which you really don't want to be messing with), or enable bordleress full screen which will use Windows Desktop Composition that uses actual triple buffering (1 front buffer and 2 back buffers). Stupidly Black Flag by default didn't offer a borderless fullscreen option (Rouge on the other hand did) but you could force it by alt tabing out and back of the application or by using third party applications like borderless fullscreen, SRWE etc. You'd think on an enthusiast forum that the majority of peeps would understand how vsync works by but nope.

Teeth

That's not a 'trick' Black Flag uses double buffered vsync and by its very nature if you can not maintain a framerate equal to the frequency of your display the game will kick down to the next equally divisible framerate (ie 60 to 30). There are many way around this buy using Adaptive Vsync via Nvidia's Control Panel (drop bellow your displays refresh rate and the game will drop syncronisation and tear), use a 3rd party tool like D3D Overider which will enable fake 'Triple Buffering' (actually just a render ahead queue instead of 3 buffers and introduces an extra frame of latency), amened the amount of prerendered frames via your GPU vendors settings menu (which you really don't want to be messing with), or enable bordleress full screen which will use Windows Desktop Composition that uses actual triple buffering (1 front buffer and 2 back buffers). Stupidly Black Flag by default didn't offer a borderless fullscreen option (Rouge on the other hand did) but you could force it by alt tabing out and back of the application or by using third party applications like borderless fullscreen, SRWE etc. You'd think on an enthusiast forum that the majority of peeps would understand how vsync works by but nope.

I said this as such, right after, and the trick is even listed as "enable fullscreen borderless".

That said, Black Flag doesn't just use a standard double buffered Vsync: its Vsync is completely fucked and is near impossible it get 60fps unless you use the trick something that overrides that Vsync, including this trick.

And the trick is a trick. Show another game that enables borderless fullscreen by alt-tabbing and clicking on the icon.

Anybody know how to fix a sound issue with tales from the Borderlands? Sound starts blaring and doesn't stop until I exit the game.

Game has coop? Is the update for everybody aka free for existing owners?

It sure does.

There is a LOT of content in this game.

Aside from PvP multiplayer, you can play with bots in the traditional PvP-ish modes AND there is also specific PvE co-op against bots in survival/objective/campaign style modes.

There is no DLC, tons of free content over the years has made it a very meaty game, this latest update is only the newest in a long line. All updates are free and your game should update by itself through steam.

Be warned though. It is NOT call of duty. It is a semi realistic shooter. Smack between Cod and ARMA in terms of tradeoff between realism and accessibilty.

Closest thing to it are Verdun and Red Orchestra, which are similar but set in WWI & WWII respectively.

Dr Dogg

I said this as such, right after, and the trick is even listed as "enable fullscreen borderless".

That said, Black Flag doesn't just use a standard double buffered Vsync: its Vsync is completely fucked and is near impossible it get 60fps unless you use the trick something that overrides that Vsync, including this trick.

And the trick is a trick. Show another game that enables borderless fullscreen by alt-tabbing and clicking on the icon.

Hahaha you didn't say this at all. You made is sound like some voodoo conspiracy instead of actually explaining the mechanisms at hand and what's going on. I would hope my explanation might actual inform someone what this issue is and if they encounter such a game in the future can apply this knowledge and not be baffled by what is happening.

There are also cases where you don't want to use borderless fullscreen. You will never get full utilization of you GPU due to having to render the other windows open and your desktop which obviously incur a slight performance cost as well as 2-400ms of VRAM depending on you screen resolution and what you have open. This is also not a preferable solution to those who use multiple GPU setup as in my experience over the last 8 or so years will drop GPU scaling by about 10-20% depending on the game and usually introduce really uneven framepacing. In those situations a exclusive fullscreen solution would be preferable (like using D3DOverider or Adaptive Vsync).

You can call it what you want but there are plenty of people that are aware of games that don't natively support bordless fullscreen and the use of third party applications to take advantage of it. Dressing it up as something else, let alone not really explaining what's going on I feel doesn't really help people understand the issue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In twenty years my five copies will be collector's items!

I'm still waiting to be the last person on Earth with a complete set of 2013 Summer Sale foils. Two-and-a-half years (well, close enough) and counting!

Blu(e)

I believe they've already confirmed that they're bringing the PSOne game to PC too.
Oh really? That's great to hear.I really like this series from afar. Love the aesthetic and the Bionic Commando gameplay but I've yet to actually play any of the games yet. Hopefully they go on sale sometime so I can give them a shot.
May mention that the game was already fixed by Durante: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1123022
Different game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam Holiday Sale threads are usually run by SalsaShark but I think JaseC did the last one if I recall, I don't mind if either keep taking charge one that.

I did last year's Autumn Sale thread (and this year's Summer Sale thread) but Salsa did the Winter Sale one. The store updates at 1am/2am (depending on whether or not the US is observing daylight savings) and I get home from work at ~12:30am, so it's easy for me to keep the deals updated.

Tizoc

Ugh
Was playing Samurai Warriors 4-2 and apparently you gotta make sure your NPC allies don't die or its game over, which is irritating. Had it happen to me on Hisahide's last stage and I'm playing on Easy =_=

No worries will try it again later.
I will say this though Musou Hisahide is a joke character compared to Sengoku Basara's
Musou said:

BASARA said:

Seriously look at this swag motherfucker
https://youtu.be/52IIVzFKS1w?t=144
and yes he does cause explosions to occur with the snap of his fingers.

Monooboe

Didn't realize how down long the loadingtimes were in Witcher 3, trying to
win the gwent tournament and loading everytime I loose is a pain.XD Also agh how I would love to be able to load from a cutscene or even in the middle of a gwent game.

Also
I might be screwed, even if I could enter the tournament I might still have too bad of a deck, if I loose this, I wont be able to enter it again at a later date?

Milamber

Don't wreck our dreams Kyou-chan.

Also when will the new Steam country prices take effect? Like is there an exact date yet? Q4 2015 to Q1 2016 is too large a gap.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Quake Live drops free-to-play model, and players aren't happy

Now costs $10 and all your stats

Quake Live, the once free-to-play game based on the massively popular Quake 3 Arena has had one of its biggest updates since launch. As of the newest update, the game is now a one-time purchase of $10, and all in-game stats players have built up over the past five years have been reset.

The full update has been detailed on the Steam Community: listen server support, steamworks integration, steam workshop for custom maps and gamemodes, and a whole load of bug fixes and tweaks are included in the patch. For some people, this update is a welcome change to the game and is being seen as a return to the simplicity of Quake III.

However, others are angry at the decision to wipe all in-game statistics. There are reports that friends lists, preferred servers, and clans have been cleared, and most worryingly that active subscriptions to the game have been removed with no word of any sort of refund.

While breaking up clans and friends that have potentially been together for years is bad enough, it stops being a problem of just not liking change when people who have paid for a service are locked out of it.

We have contacted id for a statement on this, and will update the story should we get one.

GTA V for $34? Couldn't resist, I'm weak. Still haven't played the GTA IV episodes, so maybe I should before starting this. Of course, I'd like to finish Shadow of Mordor before that, and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 before Mordor.

...Why did I buy GTA V?

Oh yes, this page reminded me why I rarely visit the thread anymore :(
I was going to pick it up as well but Zestiria, Divinity and Investigations 2 stayed my hand.

Ludens

Banned
Rockstar Support is awful. I opened a ticket to chance my Social Club mail, since it's impossible to do it by yourself, they disabled this feature and on their forum they say to open a ticket to do so.
Ok, I did it. They replied me asking for my birthday, to reply from my email address and not by updating the ticket.
I did it. They sent me another mail asking the same thing again. I did it, pointing I already gave them my birthday date.

After this, almost a week passed and they didn't reply me. Of course the mail is still the same.

Phinor

I don't know how successful the transition from f2p to paid has been for other games, but if I'm not interested in a game when it's free I'm even less interested when it suddenly costs money.

Vice versa for me. No interest in any free to play schemes, but I might look into a one time purchase game. That being said, they handled the transition terribly.

Arthea

lemme laugh at Division's price

although, I must admit is not funny anymore, I'm still fighting my righteous fight against 50€ digital base price, while not only 60€ became a norm, it's not even the highest price anymore.

I thought I owned Ultra Street Fight IV and it turns out I only own Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition. The library entry for Ultra doesn't help, it's not until you get to the title screen do you know which version you actually have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom