• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevadatan

The thing Capcom is worried about is that even if they manage to get DC1 and 2 to run fine on modern PCs, the old 90s style 3D models may appear unappealing. Personally I don't mind them, we got lots of ye olde 90s/early 2000s PC games with blocky-like models and they're still well recieved and IMO, DC's models are fine for the era they're from and still look good to me.
I wouldn't mind getting both for like $10 or whereabouts.

Say Jaw is Dino Survivor's story any more absurd than Prehistoric Isle which had a friggin gigantic T-rex that spat fireballs at you?

I believe the graphics for these 3D over prerendered background games are appealing even for today. but they need to figure out how to scale the backgrounds to high resolutions. (you would want to remade these)

one thing they really need to do, if they are to re-release DC1 and 2 on PC is to add sub-pixel accuracy to avoid the polygons to jitter all over the place. because they slipped on that on the original ports, not only for Dino Crisis, but for the PC ports of Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3, its really amusing to see that unncany jittering at high resolution on these ports.

(and don't tell me its not possible. Metal Gear Solid got it right on PC, and i believe Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver and FFVII also had sub-pixel accuracy on their PC ports)

Asgaro

Good luck to the people who missed it!

No one entered?

Ok, then I'll take it. kies pls =)
rfH5ejl.gif

edit: Played like a fiddle! gg, Snake.

Grief.exe

Also, since we brought up Deep Fear, I'll mention there's a weird history of four game I called the 'Sea Fear' series, they are four different games, made by different teams, but they have some of the same people working on them in all four cases and all four share some weird similarities.

-All take place on the ocean
-All have a blonde-haired main character with the EXACT SAME PERSONALITY
-All have the exact same end-game (you go around planting explosives, then running from them as a wall of water comes at you, and half-way through a mutated man turned monster attacks you)
-They all have weird dramatic character death scenes

Among other weird connections I won't get into. Some of the same people were involved in all four, so I can't believe it's coincidence.

This unofficial series is composed of Deep Fear (Saturn), Carrier (Dreamcast), Extermination (PS2), & Cold Fear (PC, Xbox, PS2).

BUT ACTUALLY, Cold Fear, the fourth and last game of the above unofficial series, is available on Steam, and it's not half bad. It's kind of a budgeted RE4 clone, but it has its moments. It may go on sale later today, can find it here:

Cold Fear Steam Store Page

The PC port isn't perfect, but was the best version of the game by far.

Wait. What was the game similar to this that was removed from Steam?

Nier:Automata just got a high-quality trailer on Gamersyde alongside artwork and screens. Music is dope.
Considering how Platinum is fairly good with bringing new stuff to PC, I am excited.

NieR: Automata - PGW Gameplay Trailer

Y4GoT30.gif
thtUWYk.gif

Dem lips :eek:

Up to the publisher.

Xanathus

The game takes place in the year 11.000, long after the earth has been infected with magic, including speaking, floating books. I dont see the issue.

Y'know I thought I remembered Nier having weapons sheathed but it looks like it also did the whole floating on your back thing as well but at least it was touching the back. Just saying that it looks like they're covering up skipping work on modeling behind artstyle but whatever.

Phawx

Hey fellas,

I have an itch to do a documentary video of-sorts. I have my own opinions, but I'd like some other thoughts on what you guys think of indie publishers. Devolver Digital, Black shell media, Indie Fund, etc.

Hey fellas,

I have an itch to do a documentary video of-sorts. I have my own opinions, but I'd like some other thoughts on what you guys think of indie publishers. Devolver Digital, Black shell media, Indie Fund, etc.

Devolver is great imo. Fork Parker is hilarious on twitter too!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Memory of a Broken Dimension posted a spooky update on their Greenlight page, I hope there's a release announcement soon.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/305638565/1446100397

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/650939714392862720/pu/vid/578x360/g5ju9Sk2hf0vyeUw.mp4

I noticed that the release date was silently bumped to 2016 on the game's greenlight release trailer, which bums me out as it was one of the last games I was excited for this year. Hope we get something nice and spooky for ol hallows eve~

Arthea

Most of GAF wouldn't even care for Nier if not for Platinum. So Sad.

It's really hard to care for Nier, I know gaf loves it, but it's still not a good game, in my eyes it is a bad game. Platinum might make it a good game, probably will, we'll see
Still I only will buy it if it's on PC and nothing like first Nier gameplay-wise and a good game.

Tizoc

Most of GAF wouldn't even care for Nier if not for Platinum. So Sad.

Yowza.
Then again not many GAFfers care for TF: Devastation and that's a Platinum game through and through.

Mugen Souls now have a whole lot of dlcs, all discounted, Ultimate Unlock Bundle rubs me a wrong way... Does it mean that you can't unlock all stuff in a game without this dlc?

I think it's more fo a quick unlock thing?

Venerable steamgaffers, guests and lurkers

Today is the day when miracles happen, hell freezes over and pigs fly in the sky leaving trails.
We waited so long, we endured so much but finally it is here

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

t1446138000z0.png

so let's rejoice and play it to our hearts content, may Falcom be with you

gross.

if FC has good discount, I probably will, unfortunately I'm too poor to raffle SC too (although I wouldn't raffle it, rather would gift to some people on my fl)

Don't you dare gift it to me.

The horror.

(I am a tech-savvy person and I haven't had any issues with any of the many Windows 10 upgrades I have done anyway, but of course YMMV)

I know, right?

I wish. What's leaking on my system is either the kernel (unlikely) or some device driver. Both are almost impossible to fix from the outside.

If it were the kernel, I should think more people on the Internet would be raging about it, but you're the only person I've seen mention it, so I think your note of unlikely is right -- which means it's a device driver. Once you figure out which one, you definitely have options.

You could write your own, first and foremost. It's been done before and I'm sure it will be done again. Hopefully a nice guy ends up writing it though, because back in the day, people who did that sometimes used to charge for them. (I recall some ALSA sound driver for linux needed for my Turtle Beach card back in the late 90s... it was the only way I could get sound in linux and as a poor college student, forking over the $40+ they wanted for it wasn't really an option.)

But beyond that, if you know the device that's causing your memory leak and you don't want to write your own driver to fix said leak, you could always just replace the hardware and your problem will be solved! (Side note: you seem really miffed at MS for this leak of yours, but if it's a device driver causing it, then it may not be MS's fault here.) :p

guys is pre memequel worth $20

Nope. Only worth $6.48. Sorry, wait for a better sale. (It's been cheaper before and that was with the season pass, I think.)

The exclusivity isn't even logical.

Take a super niche title, that was previously multiplatform, and relegate it to a single platform? That doesn't maximize sales potential.

Your typical xbox player seems to be more towards shootbangs and sports titles than JRPGs or Japan developed games in general. There are a few franchises that probably buck the trend, but generally speaking (at least from the PS3 vs x360 audience of "last-gen") .

So if you're developing a game with console as the target audience (as most games are these days), why would you waste resources (money, time, staff) working on putting the game on a platform where it won't move a lot of units. Games like Final Fantasy, when they went multiplatform, at least had brand recognition and were established franchises, but Nier -- as you point out -- was a niche type game that was a "cult" sort of hit... if Sony and SE were smart, they'd be partnered to bring the game to the platform much like the Capcom/FROM stuff... (though the Capcom SFV example has a PC port with cross play)...

I'm sure they did the math and figured that the outlook for developing the game and publishing it on playstation alone made the most sense when it was greenlighted. If there's nothing preventing Nier 2 from going to other platforms, they may port it to X1/PC down the line if it make sense financially, I'd guess.

And also, you hurt memory vendors! Think of the memory vendors.

Man, you are really bitter about that leak.

yeah, I asked already but nobody answered, gaf is slow for me today too.

edited: OK I'll play
better than Persona, Star Citizen, Starcraft and anime combined

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

t1446138000z0.png

While it is probably better than Star Citizen for a person like me who isn't into the whole "space exploration" genre, there's no way it's better than the other 3... the wait for this game has clearly driven you insane.

I hope it lives up to your hype though. Enjoy it! (But don't expect me to! :p)

Sidenote: Isn't it going to bug the hell out of you that you will probably never get to play TC at this point? It'd be like watching Episode 4 and 5 of Star Wars and then never seeing Return of the Jedi... (though Empire is the only film I really liked out of the 3, probably due to George Lucas not writing or directing it... so if there is a parallel here, maybe I would like SC... yikes).

Does this mean you will not talk about Rocket League as much?

Doubt it.

There are other hypes to be had, better hypes.

Agreed.

NEP HYPE!

This for example.

$3 or bust.

I got more than my $5 out of playing through the original with Ningen. Surprised they're doing a sequel though.

Wait. What was the game similar to this that was removed from Steam?

Probably beaten by now, but maybe: Cryostasis

Ozium

punishedsnake always winning, won another big raffle a few days ago too and is also messaging me about how he wins shit on steamgifts all the time

salt

Asgaro

gross.

Don't you dare gift it to me.

I know, right?

If it were the kernel, I should think more people on the Internet would be raging about it, but you're the only person I've seen mention it, so I think your note of unlikely is right -- which means it's a device driver. Once you figure out which one, you definitely have options.

You could write your own, first and foremost. It's been done before and I'm sure it will be done again. Hopefully a nice guy ends up writing it though, because back in the day, people who did that sometimes used to charge for them. (I recall some ALSA sound driver for linux needed for my Turtle Beach card back in the late 90s... it was the only way I could get sound in linux and as a poor college student, forking over the $40+ they wanted for it wasn't really an option.)

But beyond that, if you know the device that's causing your memory leak and you don't want to write your own driver to fix said leak, you could always just replace the hardware and your problem will be solved! (Side note: you seem really miffed at MS for this leak of yours, but if it's a device driver causing it, then it may not be MS's fault here.) :p

Nope. Only worth $6.48. Sorry, wait for a better sale. (It's been cheaper before and that was with the season pass, I think.)

Your typical xbox player seems to be more towards shootbangs and sports titles than JRPGs or Japan developed games in general. There are a few franchises that probably buck the trend, but generally speaking (at least from the PS3 vs x360 audience of "last-gen") .

So if you're developing a game with console as the target audience (as most games are these days), why would you waste resources (money, time, staff) working on putting the game on a platform where it won't move a lot of units. Games like Final Fantasy, when they went multiplatform, at least had brand recognition and were established franchises, but Nier -- as you point out -- was a niche type game that was a "cult" sort of hit... if Sony and SE were smart, they'd be partnered to bring the game to the platform much like the Capcom/FROM stuff... (though the Capcom SFV example has a PC port with cross play)...

I'm sure they did the math and figured that the outlook for developing the game and publishing it on playstation alone made the most sense when it was greenlighted. If there's nothing preventing Nier 2 from going to other platforms, they may port it to X1/PC down the line if it make sense financially, I'd guess.

Man, you are really bitter about that leak.

While it is probably better than Star Citizen for a person like me who isn't into the whole "space exploration" genre, there's no way it's better than the other 3... the wait for this game has clearly driven you insane.

I hope it lives up to your hype though. Enjoy it! (But don't expect me to! :p)

Sidenote: Isn't it going to bug the hell out of you that you will probably never get to play TC at this point? It'd be like watching Episode 4 and 5 of Star Wars and then never seeing Return of the Jedi... (though Empire is the only film I really liked out of the 3, probably due to George Lucas not writing or directing it... so if there is a parallel here, maybe I would like SC... yikes).

Doubt it.

Agreed.

This for example.

I got more than my $5 out of playing through the original with Ningen. Surprised they're doing a sequel though.

Probably beaten by now, but maybe: Cryostasis

👍 ✅

Cool, the first one was a ton of fun on coop even if it was a little buggy.

I just said that!
The city local looks a lot more fun than the jungle locale of the first. Plus climbing on cars to get away and what looks like bigger hordes than the first game?
Wishlisted, but will wait for it to get out of EA.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
CARD ALERT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Chaos Reborn got cards.

vermadas

I bought Galak-Z on PS4 and found it to be fairly mediocre. Granted, I probably didn't give it enough of a chance - I was enthralled with Rocket League and n++ when I tried to get into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom