• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking of buying this games

Bioshock infinite + season pass bundle $11.24

Half minute hero bundle $2.49

Cosmochoria $2.49

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger $2.49

Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition $3.49

Deadlight $3.74

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare $6.99

Mercenary Kings $6.79

Broforce $9.99

Dying Light 29.99

Nihilumbra $1.99

Should I wait for better prices on some of this games? are some of the not worth it a those prices? need some help here SteamGAF

Dsyndrome

Not really a horror title, but MIND: Path to the Thalamus has announced that the redux will be released November 3rd, 2015 as a free update!

tumblr_inline_nwzeqhEBak1tblefr_500.jpg
Will the achievements actually work this time?

Cosmochoria $2.49

Deadlight $3.74

Mercenary Kings $6.79

Broforce $9.99

Dying Light 29.99

Nihilumbra $1.99

Should I wait for better prices on some of this games? are some of the not worth it a those prices? need some help here SteamGAF

Mercenary Kings is awful.

Cosmochoria $2.49

Deadlight $3.74

Mercenary Kings $6.79

Broforce $9.99

Dying Light 29.99

Nihilumbra $1.99

If you want Mercenary Kings, PM me and I'll gift ya a copy from a leftover HB. Then you too can embrace the mediocrity.

madjoki

Is there a way to prevent Big Picture Mode from starting when you press the guide button on a controller? I just got wireless adapter for the Xbox One controller and to turn it off you hold the guide button, which of course starts the BPM. I've been searching and can't find anything.

Update to Steam Beta client, it was changed this week (or wait for next version).

Eila

Cosmochoria $2.49

Deadlight $3.74

Mercenary Kings $6.79

Broforce $9.99

Dying Light 29.99

Nihilumbra $1.99

A lot of bundle stuff. I take it you don't follow them much?
Mercenary Kings is in the newest humble weekly:
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Crap Cities Skylines Deluxe was apparently -80% on WinGameStore for a while

Welcome to last night while the US was sleeping.
Also, welcome to the giveaway you missed for it that Punished Snake won.
It's that guy's lucky day, he should probably go buy a lotto ticket.

No I dont really follow Humble bundles that much

You should start... otherwise, you're doing something very wrong when it comes to buying games. :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Obscure & Niche Recommendations (a few select entries of the above is repeated, but basically these are overlooked Horror games I urge more to check out, and some are notably worth next to nothing for some fantastic experiences):

(I'm going in alphabetical order this time, the horror games I re-recommend above will have some new write-ups about why I like them in a bit more detail)

Astray - $3.49

This is not the most amazing horror game you'll ever play, but it's a nice little experience. Doesn't force jump scares, the monster is a bit dumb, but some fun puzzles, varied locales and objectives, and mixes things up well. It's quaint, it's an okay to good game, but one of the better 'Okay' indie horror games I think worth mentioning, and a nice little experience.

BlackSoul: Extended Edition - $1.99

I couldn't list this game in the main OP without some serious resentment, but really, if you're a fan of old-school B-horror games that aren't exactly good, but interest, I'd say give this a go. It has a lot of technical problems, but some pretty decent puzzles, atmosphere.... It's like a pure raw indie version of an old-school horror game, it fails in some ways, succeeds in others, but I find myself a bit fond towards it. For my complicated thoughts on this one, I'll just link my Steam review here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/AestheticGamer/recommended/264480

Claire - $2.49

I really enjoyed my time with Claire. It maybe doesn't give the best first impression, as your map is kind of hard to use and the stages in the game are like sprawling labyrinths... But they aren't lifeless labyrinths. What I think a lot of games get wrong with labyrinth design is the labyrinths are uninteresting. This one isn't copy or pasted rooms, but rather rooms with personality, landmarks, notable points, doors to unlock... It also has a pretty good story and atmosphere, and in some ways reminds of Lone Survivor, Clock Tower, and Silent Hill. Enemies are unkillable but can be held-off with light, and they can stalk you through the labyrinths for a while if you can't shake them. Also has a sanity system like the Clock Tower games. Mixed with all of this is a dog companion like Haunting Ground, who's name is Annubis. It wears its inspirations on its sleeves, but I think is an experience worth taking, though maybe not for the impatient.

Curse: The Eye of Isis - $0.99

An old PS2 game that's a Resident Evil clone, set in a Museum with Egyptian-themed enemies. It's not AMAZING, but a pretty solid RE-clone game for those who want more old-school horror games in their lives. Has a good story, good atmosphere, some fun puzzles.

DreadOut - $3.74

I love this game. It's low-budget, but it has a lot of heart, creativity, and variety. It's probably the best 'old-school' style horror game to come out in years. It has a surprising number of ghosts, all who function differently, some cryptic, but in my opinion fun, puzzles, excellent sound design, and some moments (especially in the last third of the game) really stand-out in my memory as being fantastic horror scenes. I do urge those who don't mind some low-budget things and like older horror games to check this out. It doesn't have fixed camera angles or tank controls or inventory management, but it does capture that sort of intrigue older horror games had of the unexpected and strange, mixed with variety of scenarios to survive, rather than a one or two trick pony, matched with the ability to fight back but with intimidating foes, and crypticness at times.

Dreaming Sarah - $0.59

Not straight-horror, but has some interesting nightmare moments. A Yume Nikki-inspired sidescrolling exploration game that's actually pretty good. And for that price, really it's worth checking out.

Enola - $7.49

This is NOT a game for everyone, but I enjoyed it. It's kind of a slow psychological game with a focus on exploration. It has some technical faults, but a very interesting, surreal world. You can go long segments of gameplay with nothing really happening outside of exploring, there's some puzzles, stalkers, and creepy scenes, but it's kind of a slow-burn game about exploring what seems like an abstract, dying world, and I thought had an interesting story.

I Can't Escape: Darkness - $8.03

Sequel to a free online game, it is a great trap-focused game. You're stuck in a diabolical ruin full of traps, monstrosities, puzzles, and you must be cunning and survive to find your way out of this maze. Full of multiple paths, secrets, and a large variety of things that can kill you.

The Last Door Season 1 - $2.49

This one often gets looked over, it's an episodic series with super pixely graphics. But really, this game has a pretty amazing story, stand-out moments, and some good music. It's one of the finer horror point'n'clicks I've played, and I think deserving of far more attention than it gets. The Second Season just hit Steam, as well.

Lisa- $2.99

It's not a straight-up horror game, but yes, it's worth checking out, especially at that price. Quite an experience.

Long Night - $0.99

I was reluctant to post this game as I have some mixed feelings on it, but it is definitely worth $0.99. It has fixed camera angles, but isn't really old-school... If anything, it's like an older horror game on crack. The game moves at a stupidly fast pace, both you and the monster run like Olympic Marathon runners. If the monster catches you, that's it. If it weren't for these two things, I think I'd enjoy it a lot more though. It has some creepy imagery, interesting setting, and actually did scare me a few times, but I wasn't big on the one-hit kill monster and how fast paced the chases were, going super fast doesn't mix well with fixed camera angles. But if you can stomach that, there is actually a pretty decent game in here.

The Lost Crown - $1.99

This is a long game, like it's loooooong. It's a point'n'click, kind of slow. However, it has a pretty good story, and one of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced in a point'n'click. It's not a typical point'n'click OR horror game, it features you basically as a ghost hunter dealing with being from beyond. And it succeeds in capturing that feel. It tells an interesting, slowly unveiled tale, along with more atmosphere than you may expect. Slow, but unique.

Malebolgia - $3.24

Made by a GAFer! A stylized dark-fantasy game where you go deep into a grim castle, must combat monsters, with an oppressive atmosphere. The fighting is somewhat clunky, but the atmosphere is great, and set in a compelling world.

Murdered: Soul Suspect - $5.99

Not scary, but it does have its creepy moments (especially in the findable ghost stories). It was a rushed game, signs of this shows, and it's basically Collectibles: The Game, but I liked it well enough actually. I liked exploring around, phasing through walls, and the story and characters were interesting. If you want a story-driven experience that's not a straight-up walking simulator but a bit light on gameplay, I'd say give this one a shot.

The Music Machine - $1.49

It's a walking simulator, but I enjoyed it. It has an interesting story with an interesting character duo in an interesting scenario with each other. The style is flashy but simple, and I really liked the atmosphere and character-driven story. Really as simple as that, but I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was.

The Rake - $2.49

Graphically, it leaves a lot to be desired, but actually, very unique! You're in the woods with a monster, have to use cameras (which the monster can destroy) and a limited gun to locate and kill the monster before it kills you. Use live animal bait, set-traps, and try to outsmart the monster. It's a really good predator, cat-mouse game, and actually literally just yesterday added online co-op, so worth checking out.

Silence of the Sleep - $3.39

Very overlooked, and a shame since it's actually pretty good. Made by one person, has an interesting style. Gameplay is mixed up into two kinds, areas where you are safe with other people around as you solve puzzles, and isolated locations with spooky shadow monsters trying to kill you that you must hide from as you solve puzzles. Story is pretty good, atmosphere is great, and some scenes are very memorable. Also is a fantastic showing of this single man's talents. Audio design is ace, also.

Slender: The Arrival - $1.99

It's not the cheapest it's ever been, and some will see Slenderman and roll their eyes. More-so, the game is more like a cinematic found-footage horror film in game form. But I actually really like it, I think it has a short but enjoyable campaign, really fun secrets and whole secret levels (the secret levels, of which there are four, are the best part of the game in my opinion), It's very different than Eight Pages, but if you like atmosphere, and something of a walking simulator meets Slender gameplay, but with some mix-ups, I think it's a good time. And I do urge anyone who plays to look-up how to access the secret stages, they are worth finding.

Sylvio - $6.49

SUPER slow-burn, but very interesting! Different than any other horror game you'll ever play. You play as a woman who enters into a strange, red-tinted abandoned amusement park to figure out why it was abandoned. The place is huge, with lots of different sectors, and the game is lacking action... You do have to deal with some shadow monsters with an air gun and bug spray sometimes, but it mostly is puzzle solving, finding spirits, recording them and figuring out what they say with an audio player you can forward-wind, rewind, speed-up, slow-down, and reverse (and combine these affects) to find out what they said to questions you ask. The story is cryptic but interesting, and it's got a unique yet odd atmosphere.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter - $6.79

I find myself a bit hesitant to call this one a straight-up horror game; it has its moments, but really it is more of a fantasy game. But anyways, it is good, gorgeous visually, and up there as one of the best walking simulators I've played. I would recommend it for those who want a pretty trek through a world with some interesting variety and events, though I feel the story falls a bit short.

White Night - $7.49

The game is slow, stylistic, has a lot of reading in it, and honestly the story is just okay, with some cryptic puzzles, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience through a creepy house with limited light sources and fun noir themes and era stylizations. It is more style than substance, though, but has some spooky and tense moments. Let-down a bit by its eventual story course, but I found it to be a fun moody ride.

White Noise Online - $1.19

It's basically an online co-op version of Slender, except Slenderman's not in it, and the main cast seem like Scooby-Doo rejects. However, it's fun for a few hours, has some interesting varied maps, and some smart decisions for a co-op Slender game (three cool features I really like are that when you die, you see the world brightly and become a ghost that can either help keep other characters sane or scout out with increased movement speed to help friends locate cassette players (this game's version of pages), the different character stats and fun to try and unlock them all, and the post-game map which shows the paths and events everyone went through). It's got some mixed reception, but I've had some fun with friends in it.

ExoSoul

Banned
So it seems like (given all the evidence that's been collected over the last few days) Valve's card drop algorithm has changed to this:
  • If you've ever requested a refund with Steam, games will not start dropping cards until after 2 hours of play time has passed.
  • If you've never requested a refund with Steam, games will start dropping cards without the 2 hour waiting period.
Does this sound like it's in line with what you guys have experienced? Has anyone here had cards drop quicker than 2 hours in the last few days and have requested a refund for a game in the past?

So, even more alt accounts now?

Nzyme32

Does anyone have any experience with the Sherlock Holmes games by Frogwares?

Is Pillars of Eternity worth £17.49, or should I be waiting for a better sale bundled with the other content?

Using the last of my wallet money

Ruruja

I played over an hour of The Testament of Sherlock Holmes a while back and enjoyed it, puzzles were pretty decent and voice acting seemed good. I intend to go back and finish it at some point, so yeah I recommend it.

ExoSoul

Banned

Is Pillars of Eternity worth £17.49, or should I be waiting for a better sale bundled with the other content?

Using the last of my wallet money

Crimes and punishment is worth it the rest not so much.

Tizoc

Pathologic's new translation changes everything, one of the masked figures made a funny joke! I understand the happenings!

One or two of the older games may not run properly on newer systems but there are simple workarounds.
Otherwise their games are good Testament and Crimes & Punishment are my fav. games from them.

Nzyme32

I played over an hour of The Testament of Sherlock Holmes a while back and enjoyed it, puzzles were pretty decent and voice acting seemed good. I intend to go back and finish it at some point, so yeah I recommend it.

£17.49? Are you daft? That game is clearly worth £18.56. You're getting a steal! A STEAL I SAY!

BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY.

Crimes and punishment is worth it the rest not so much.

Thanks! I know now what I must do

Just got an email from Valve. Steam is transitioning to Indian Rupees for us on November 3rd. Very worried about what kind of pricing we'll get after the switch :\

Eila

Just got an email from Valve. Steam is transitioning to Indian Rupees for us on November 3rd. Very worried about what kind of pricing we'll get after the switch :\

Probably a lot cheaper :)
You'll get region locked, though. So no more gifting to your friends outside your region. I wonder if you'll get grouped with South East Asia.

hohoXD123

So it seems like (given all the evidence that's been collected over the last few days) Valve's card drop algorithm has changed to this:
  • If you've ever requested a refund with Steam, games will not start dropping cards until after 2 hours of play time has passed.
  • If you've never requested a refund with Steam, games will start dropping cards without the 2 hour waiting period.
Does this sound like it's in line with what you guys have experienced? Has anyone here had cards drop quicker than 2 hours in the last few days and have requested a refund for a game in the past?

Yeah, seems this is right. Haven't used Idle Master for a while now, but I only just got my first card drop at the 2.1 hours mark.

Nzyme32

How does the pricing currently work? Are you paying a conversion of US dollars? If that is the case, I'd expect cheaper pricing - however that also can mean some developers / publishers snub that pricing in favour of region locking or not putting it out - all depends on the pricing I guess

They added 2 more Tasks to the Community badge
you can now be a Community Leader with 500xp :p
4tInHQX.png

Oh nice, I just watched a broadcast and used the queue again to catch up to it.

Should I buy Darkest Dungeon for 15 dollars or should I just wait for maybe Christmas sale for less money? I really want to play it, but 15 dollars man... I don't know
Wait. If 15 bucks makes you waver, it will likely lessen the enjoyment you'll get out of it. Winter is around the corner. Spend the time playing and having fun. Game will only get cheaper, you will get less bummed by cheaper price ► you will be happier for getting it sub 15 bucks come winter.

Eila

Why can't we Argentinians get that email too :(

We get region locked games anyway.

I don't think the argentine peso was in the list scheduled for Q4 2015 and Q1 2016.
They're going to transition to the chilean, colombian and peruvian currencies before you, and that probably has to do with the government policies.

Probably a lot cheaper :)
You'll get region locked, though. So no more gifting to your friends outside your region. I wonder if you'll get grouped with South East Asia.

I'm expecting the worst. No regional pricing but region locking implemented anyway. And a bad exchange rate to boot. That's what GMG did when they transitioned to INR earlier this year. A $60 game would cost $70ish on GMG. On top of that they disabled the VIP section for us and coupons don't work either. So basically the site became instantly useless. I hope that doesn't happen to Steam :(

How does the pricing currently work? Are you paying a conversion of US dollars? If that is the case, I'd expect cheaper pricing - however that also can mean some developers / publishers snub that pricing in favour of region locking or not putting it out - all depends on the pricing I guess

We pay in USD. Same price as the NA store except rare cases where publishers give regional pricing (GTA 5 is $40 here normally while it's $60 in NA). The crappy part is that some publishers like Ubi and Square Enix already region lock their games even though we pay the full $60 USD for their games. I don't know what kind of region locking nightmare is coming next :\

PSA:

Anyone who picked up YAIBA during this sale or has it and has not played it yet.

DO NOT MASH START WHEN YOU BOOT UP.

The cursors defaults to New Game, even if you have a save file... so while you'd be used to games defaulting to "continue" or "load" using the lastest save, this is not the case with Yaiba. I knew about it, but had forgotten this quirk when I went to do the hardest playthrough and managed to overwrite my save file... which reset my upgrades/combat unlocks to starting state and made my playthrough even more challenging.

SO AGAIN, I WILL REPEAT:

DO NOT MASH A/X/START WHEN YOU BOOT THE GAME. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT CONTINUE/LOAD BEFORE YOU DO ANY MASHING. :)

WIth that said, go forth and have fun... remember, you can't spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER. :D

PSA:

Anyone who picked up YAIBA during this sale or has it and has not played it yet.

The cursors defaults to New Game, even if you have a save file... so while you'd be used to games defaulting to "continue" or "load" using the lastest save, this is not the case with Yaiba. I knew about it, but had forgotten this quirk when I went to do the hardest playthrough and managed to overwrite my save file... which reset my upgrades/combat unlocks to starting state and made my playthrough even more challenging.

SO AGAIN, I WILL REPEAT:

DO NOT MASH A/X/START WHEN YOU BOOT THE GAME. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT CONTINUE/LOAD BEFORE YOU DO ANY MASHING. :)

WIth that said, go forth and have fun... remember, you can't spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER. :D

Thanks for the heads up, and the gift!

I don't think the argentine peso was in the list scheduled for Q4 2015 and Q1 2016.
They're going to transition to the chilean, colombian and peruvian currencies before you, and that probably has to do with the government policies.

Yeah, looks like we are still screwed. I tried emailing Gaben, contacting Support, etc and never got an answer. It's sad that we get regional restrictions with none of the benefits.

ExoSoul

Banned
PSA:

SO AGAIN, I WILL REPEAT:

Strider doesn't do that mistake therefore Strider is clearly the superior game.

Salsa

well I learned my Galak-Z Rogue lesson by dying on mission 2-4 for fighting some robots near the exit warp point.....

game is great tho.

some clarifications on the roguelike qualities of the game:

here's what might happen to ya: you get to upgrade your ship and gather money over the course of a "Season". Each season has 5 chapters. If you die (in Rogue mode, which is the original mode), you die, and you have to start the whole Season again. Your upgrades and money DO NOT carry through seasons, so every 5 levels you "start over" on a more difficult season (5 in total)

as you grow used to your ship, the idea of going back to zero every 5 levels might bum you out, but you get your upgrades (and even better ones) quite fast. And there's a certain game currency, crash coins, that carries over from the previous Season if you keep playing and transforms into "buying stuff" currency so you can get your ship back into shape again.

the tricky part is dying, like I did just now, on a pretty late level in a Season. I had the option to replay it by using my Crash Coins, but I didnt cause I gotta take a break anyway, and im confident enough in my skills to get through the first 4 stages of Season 2 (the one im currently in) quite easily, and doing so is super damn fun cause the mechanics and controls are super tight; so it's like Spelunky in that way. Besides most of the time each mission in a season is randomized, so it's not like you play quite the exact same thing again.

buy it

Galak-Z_GIF_3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom