• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been posted?

Riot bans key reseller G2A from sponsoring League of Legends teams

It's strange that G2A is not banned because of the gray market area, but for account selling and boosting

giphy.gif

Arthea

I don't see how you can say that, when we've seen many good indies close to nothing, because we have steamspy now. We could pretend a good game will always sell, before, but not anymore.

edited: we have seen opposite too, how horrible games sell a lot, so in general it's not so logical world as one would expect it to be.

You’re right. Not every game will find an audience but as games like Rocket League still show, all it takes is a great idea. There are still plenty of games able to stand out and make their money back. I doubt we’ll get a lot of million seller indies but they don’t need to sell a million to be successful. Maybe I’m totally wrong but I know that I still invest my money into cool indie games, a lot more than AAA stuff anyway.

Arthea

I don't even know what people think the "indiepocalypse" is supposed to be

It means indie market crash in line with Atari shock, what will result in highly reduced numbers of games and devs and many hopes broken. It's doesn't mean that there will be no indie games, if that's what you are thinking.

Atari shock might be a tad overblown example, but I couldn't think of better one.

I didn't realise that SteamDB gives you a price/hr on your steam games. Which is a pretty cool feature to look at.

Ultra Street Fighter IV cost me 22p/hr. Not a bad deal.

Edit: £1.10/hr for MGSV. Played me like a fiddle.

It means indie market crash in line with Atari shock, what will result in highly reduced numbers of games and devs and many hopes broken. It's doesn't mean that there will be no indie games, if that's what you are thinking.

Atari shock might be a tad overblown example, but I couldn't think of better one.

But why? Thousands of people haven't been making money with game development before, the only difference is that you see those people on Steam as well now. I guess since game development is easier than ever now you see even more people not making money with games though.

No one was calling for an indiepocalypse when the unsuccessful games were exclusive to Desura.

Arthea

But why? Thousands of people haven't been making money with game development before, the only difference is that you see those people on Steam as well now. I guess since game development is easier than ever now you see even more people not making money with games though.

No one was calling for an indiepocalypse when the unsuccessful games were exclusive to Desura.

It's rather simple, there are so many new games that researching properly what to buy day one is no longer viable option (unless you prefer researching instead of playing games in that time, or buy all games not for playing), sometimes there is literally no info, and you can end up buying horrible or broken game, this together with increasing prices (leaving impulse buy territory) and so many horrible games being released leads to good games being overlooked, less new devs being successful, less money in dev cycle, indifference and ends in market crash. Famous by then indie devs will be OK, at least most of them.

I'm not saying that will happen 100%, but it seems very likely

It's rather simple, there are so many new games that researching properly what to buy day one is no longer viable option (unless you prefer researching instead of playing games in that time, or buy all games not for playing), sometimes there is literally no info, and you can end up buying horrible or broken game, this together with increasing prices (leaving impulse buy territory) and so many horrible games being released leads to good games being overlooked, less new devs being successful, less money in dev cycle, indifference and ends in market crash. Famous by then indie devs will be OK, at least most of them.

I'm not saying that will happen 100%, but it seems very likely

Why would people need to buy the game day one? Indie games and PC games especially thrive over time. All it takes is decent word of mouth and a game can go on to sell thousands over time. Only AAA tend to think of the day one purchasers.

Arthea

Why would people need to buy the game day one? Indie games and PC games especially thrive over time. All it takes is decent word of mouth and a game can go on to sell thousands over time. Only AAA tend to think of the day one purchasers.

In case you haven't noticed successful devs are those selling their games at the release, not a year after, or in a bundle, should I remind you that our stump calls all bundle games junk? Many people don't play those games, or try unless they already know that it is a very good game and I nag at them too much.
And you can't have a good word of mouth if nobody played your game, or only me, or only Ozzie, last one might have opposite effect too.

Someone somewhere is raging.

I even have a suspicion who that might be
not telling, tho

FloatOn

I watched a bit of a Rebel Galaxy stream last night. The game looks (and sounds) pretty great. It's got a real firefly feel to it.

Backlogger

Got an email and tracking info for my Steam Controller. Est. arrival date is 10/13/2025! (Or 13/10/2025 depending on how you like to read dates)

Chariot

Ya'll stop laughing when it's revealed that Derek Smart was the secret shadow president behind Star Citizen all along and he flees with the money to the australian outback.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Are they adding more features as the game is getting more funding? Will the game ever be finished

I find it crazy how much people are spending on hypothetical spaceships in a game that hasn't been made yet. Do people not want to wait and see if this thing actually gets made? Why are they so happy to throw money at it now?

there is zero chance Star Citizen isn't going to be a total clusterfuck is there? Expectations aren't ever going to be met for something that's getting that heavily funded

It might not but I seriously doubt it will get released until they burn through all the money. Every time they get a new backer... the game(s) will keep getting pushed further back.
It might be a decent game but it won't sell that much because everyone who wanted it would have already spent money for it. So basically the game or games will come out, the company will implode and regardless of quality.I think Squadron 42 will be fine but I'm worried about Star Citizen because that game will require post launch support and operations and what happens if there is no money to pay for admin staff and servers?

I find it crazy how much people are spending on hypothetical spaceships in a game that hasn't been made yet. Do people not want to wait and see if this thing actually gets made? Why are they so happy to throw money at it now?

I think its bordering on a religious experience.

Star Citizen is going to be a total clusterfuck, isn't it? Expectations aren't ever going to be met for something that's getting that heavily funded

There's a huge difference between being a clusterfuck and not meeting expectations. Is there any reason at all to worry about the project at this point except for the ramblings of a madman?

There's a huge difference between being a clusterfuck and not meeting expectations. Is there any reason at all to worry about the project at this point except for the ramblings of a madman?

well didn't they put their FPS module on an indefinite hold not too long ago? There's that and then there's their funding system of people buying their way into better classes of ships which, personally, seems like the sort of thing that would ruin the game's balance.

Arthea

of course there isn't, a game isn't supposed to be finished for years still, it doesn't stop people from bitching because of how famous it is already. I've see a lot of backers post that they are happy with the progress made already.

fertygo

Recent famous indie release like SOMA and Undertale seem having no issue with sales, as long quality release is there quite frankly I don't really care for fewer devs manage to get the lionshare of money.

dex3108

Welp i have to finish Mad Max, and i also started Witcher 3 few months ago and stopped until they stop making big changes with Patches (probably 1.09 will be last big one before second big expansion), batman patch is around the corner and i ignored all of that and started playing The Last of Us Remastered on PS4 :(

giphy.gif

well didn't they put their FPS module on an indefinite hold not too long ago? There's that and then there's their funding system of people buying their way into better classes of ships which, personally, seems like the sort of thing that would ruin the game's balance.

Stuff happens during development, you just get to see it here because it's an (somewhat) open process. Being sceptical is great and all but some people seem convinced that there is no chance they'll ever release something resembling a game.

In case you haven't noticed successful devs are those selling their games at the release, not a year after, or in a bundle, should I remind you that our stump calls all bundle games junk? Many people don't play those games, or try unless they already know that it is a very good game and I nag at them too much.
And you can't have a good word of mouth if nobody played your game, or only me, or only Ozzie, last one might have opposite effect too.

I don't think that's true all the time though. I'm not talking about bundle games, but games that get decent steam sales after about 6-12 months. I'm pretty sure there is no game on Steam that only you two have played, even if there was then you play it, say good things about it on SteamGAF which prompts someone else to buy it and continue the cycle. PC gaming is very well known for having legs and being able to maintain a decent selling pace over time rather than selling a million copies in a day or two. We'll have to agree to disagree though.

Corpekata

Banned
Recent famous indie release like SOMA and Undertale seem having no issue with sales, as long quality release is there quite frankly I don't really care for fewer devs manage to get the lionshare of money.

Undertale is actually a good example of a game that can come out of nowhere and succeed. Game had like 2 thousand kickstarter backers, is now closing in on 100k copies sold despite little prerelease press and hype.

derExperte

Begun my preload of the Battfront beta has.
I'd still take a key to play today.

Also GMG apparently has deactivated the Batman keys.

Looks like GMG finally deactivated my key. Glad to have this turd removed from my library. Served as a great reminder every time I saw a game pop up on preorder that I thought I might want, though. "Hey, you wanna have this shit happen again? Go ahead and give that pub the money upfront. I'm sure they'll do a /great job/"

Haven't bought a single AAA game since this mess. It's amazing what removing yourself from the hype cycle entirely does to your perspective on a game. Suddenly that amazing game that you had to have "day1 omg" suddenly looses its luster when you add a little bit of time to the equation.

Lots of Steam keys up on Groupees: Lost Moon, Ant War: Domination (Lol), Louie Cooks, Keen Dreams...

Very few reputable places accept unsolicited work, devs will have to build a rep before they submit. Limited time, that's the way the world works. Steam is not a guarentee of success. I on the other hand are thoroughly disreputable and will review anything for keys, anything.

Stuff happens during development, you just get to see it here because it's an (somewhat) open process. Being sceptical is great and all but some people seem convinced that there is no chance they'll ever release something resembling a game.

naw, it'll come out, of that im certain. Whether it's any good or if it's even half of what they promised will be another thing, though.

if this was in development at a major publishing house people would've started giving it the Last Guardian treatment by now in regards to how long it appears to be in development and how much has been sunk into its development over a long period of time. Folks are just giving this the benefit of the doubt since they've released a few bits here and there and many are literally invested in it.

Majukun

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

deponia -- MB-D8B3C2C25B39D809 - Taken by ExoSoul. 2 entrants total.
gone home Plus soundtrack -- MB-B3FDACEDE88D0C38 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.

t1444223694z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom