• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keen Dreams is a busted port. Full of compatibility issues. Doesn't work on Windows 8. Locks up whenever I exit a menu or go into a level.

What the fuck. I should have expected it, but still.

Deques

Van Helsing: Final Cut has been delayed again, this time till "November."

There is a closed beta you can apply to.

Great! More time for part 3 to be bundled so I can buy it
Has any word come if the old games will be removed once Final Cut is released?

Edit: Not sure if this answered my question, but it seems that all games will still be available after Final Cut is released

http://press.neocoregames.com/newsletter/122
Anyone who owns the Van Helsing trilogy on GOG or Steam, or GOG and Steam mixed will get Van Helsing: Final Cut for free! No matter what.
And there's more: We'd love to give Final Cut for free for those who buy the trilogy after the game is already released...and it seems like we can! It just needs a little more testing.

Dr Dogg

Keen Dreams is a busted port. Full of compatibility issues. Doesn't work on Windows 8. Locks up whenever I exit a menu or go into a level.

Are we talking about Commander Keen here? You know like a 25 year old game? Did it recently get rereleased or are you expecting an old DOS game to be compatible with modern OSes without having to get your hands dirty?

Edit: Ohhhh are you talking about this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/356200/ Isn't that what was released on phones last year?

Arthea

It has not a single bad review, are you sure it's not a problem on your side?
Although it has only 8 reviews but all with significant playtime

It has not a single bad review, are you sure it's not a problem on your side?
Although it has only 8 reviews but all with significant playtime

The forums have many complaints. If/when I get around to doing a review and the issues aren't fixed, I'll probably write a negative one. I thought this was supposed to have been an upgraded/compatible port - that's what the purpose of the release was in the first place.

I put in quite a few hours with the original release back in the day, so I know it's a compatibility thing first and foremost.

Great! More time for part 3 to be bundled so I can buy it
Has any word come if the old games will be removed once Final Cut is released?

Edit: Not sure if this answered my question, but it seems that all games will still be available after Final Cut is released

http://press.neocoregames.com/newsletter/122

We're in the same boat. I'm waiting for the third one to get cheap enough so I can pick it up and get the complete version for free. The wording in that blog post is a little vague though. They might just bundle up all 3 games and call it the trilogy and sell only that once the complete edition is out. So effectively you'd be buying all 3 games and then getting the upgraded version along with it.

This company have a good track record of doing right by their customers?

I've decided a better ending would have been a Highlander type showdown.

There can be only one.

hoooly shit you guys weren't kidding around about mission 45. the problem with it is that it drags on

I just repeatedly called in air support. Fuck that mission.

edit : ok you already beat it . good.

Deques

We're in the same boat. I'm waiting for the third one to get cheap enough so I can pick it up and get the complete version for free. The wording in that blog post is a little vague though. They might just bundle up all 3 games and call it the trilogy and sell only that once the complete edition is out. So effectively you'd be buying all 3 games and then getting the upgraded version along with it.

This company have a good track record of doing right by their customers?

It would suck that if you only have 2 of 3 games and the third game is not available to buy. I am not even sure if the third game will ever be bundled, hopefully it will get discounted soon before Final Cut is out

The other Van Helsing games have been part of the Halloween sale in the past, so hopefully the third one will get a decent discount this year.

MadGear

You're right, my bad.

Don't feel bad, a ton of others are going to do the same thing.

To be honest, it's not that this idea didn't cross my mind but if you refund a game after a beta your intentions should be fairly obvious. But I guess so far Valve really hasn't done anything to prevent abuse and in theory you could just say that "its available cheaper" ... which should actually always apply with the exception of games that aren't sold by other resellers.

Might be that sites aren't doing as many reviews anymore.

Must be due to the sheer amount I guess? I know I would personally not want a code for something I wasn't going to review.
Thats what I'm thinking.

Is that just because they don't want to bother reviewing smaller games? Pretty disgusting if that's the case.

But its a matter of economics. Reviews don't drive traffic anymore unless its a big title.

Arthea

It could be that amount of indies are overwhelming and no site can cope. They (whoever are they) hopefully don't turn down all indie games.

Jawmuncher

It could be that amount of indies are overwhelming and no site can cope. They (whoever are they) hopefully don't turn down all indie games.

They probably don't turn down any with a publishing deal from a bigger name. So MS, Devolver, and the like probably aren't counted.

Arthea

The tweets says "reasonably established"
I don't think we're talking about Greenlight fodder here
IDK, reasonably established doesn't say much, and many good games come out of greenlight too, and devs become reasonably established after if they haven't been before.

That's what I think too. It feels like dozens of indie games get churned out by the week. Taking a review code brings with it the implication that the game will be reviewed on the site, and sites just don't have enough people to do it. A friend of mine who does reviews went a little crazy in the last week trying to finish up a massive JRPG and then another PS4 game whose reviews were due on the same day.

It's a little interesting that he qualifies 'reasonably established indies' in his tweet. I suppose his expectation is that they should get preferred treatment by the media?

Phinor

The tweets says "reasonably established"
I don't think we're talking about Greenlight fodder here

There's way too many established developers for most sites to handle the amount of games these developers manage to finish and release. It's not an attack against indies, it's the reality of the situation. Obviously a popular gaming website has to review AAA first and then give as much room for the smaller games but at some point there just isn't enough time to handle it all.

Well, that's my take on it anyway. I really doubt it's anything but an issue of lack of time and too many releases.

Arthea

indiepocalypse probably will happen, I'm not just being pessimistic (realistic), I don't see how it can not, with so many games released daily.

indiepocalypse probably will happen, I'm not just being pessimistic (realistic), I don't how it can not, seeing how many games are released daily.

Good games are good games, bad games are bad games. As long as indies are still making good games then they will find an audience. This indiepocalypse stuff is pretty insane tbh.

Arthea

Good games are good games, bad games are bad games. As long as indies are still making good games then they will find an audience. This indiepocalypse stuff is pretty insane tbh.

I don't see how you can say that, when we've seen many good indies close to nothing, because we have steamspy now. We could pretend a good game will always sell, before, but not anymore.

edited: we have seen opposite too, how horrible games sell a lot, so in general it's not so logical world as one would expect it to be.

Gaming is dead.

not PC gaming anymore? just gaming?
I agree

Deques

Has this been posted?

Riot bans key reseller G2A from sponsoring League of Legends teams

The reason being G2A’s refusal to remove account selling and boosting from its website, both which violate Riot’s terms of use. Boosting, for instance, allows players to pay a few dollars and have someone else play for them to get around the game’s ranking system and straight into higher leagues.

It's strange that G2A is not banned because of the gray market area, but for account selling and boosting

I don't see how you can say that, when we've seen many good indies close to nothing, because we have steamspy now. We could pretend a good game will always sell, before, but not anymore.

Making a "good game" just isn't enough and doesn't have to be. There are thousands of "good games" and not enough of an audience for all of them to be successful. The objective "quality" of a game is just one of many many factors.

Here's some words and graphs and numbers from the Steam Spy himself

https://medium.com/steam-spy/on-indiepocalypse-what-is-really-killing-indie-games-3da3c3a1ea76

I don't even know what people think the "indiepocalypse" is supposed to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom