• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
lLWSkCf.png

Anyone else have this show up in their Library? No idea what it's for.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lLWSkCf.png

Anyone else have this show up in their Library? No idea what it's for.

Prior to 2013, pre-ordering a game would sometimes if not generally result in a pre-order app appearing in your library that would be replaced with the actual game upon or closer to release. I think someone at 1C noticed the placeholder app for Crossworlds -- which is technically a game, albeit a functionless one -- and mistakenly assumed it's supposed to be in user libraries as it was added to several subs yesterday.

Prior to 2013, pre-ordering a game would sometimes if not generally result in a pre-order app appearing in your library that would be replaced with the actual game upon or closer to release. I think someone at 1C noticed the placeholder app for Crossworlds -- which is technically a game, albeit a functionless one -- and mistakenly assumed it's supposed to be in user libraries as it was added to several subs yesterday.

Ah, I see. Guess I'll just hide it.

Saty

Somebody post their native 1080p vs 1440p DSR'd comparative screenshots so i can determine fully that the difference is marginal.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So here is Valve's response to the Washington State Gambling Commission

Basically,
tumblr_lov0ebXIRn1qd9x6to1_500.gif

Mikurden

Accounting is out today. I don't have a VR headset but I get plenty of entertainment value just from being on their mailing list, so it's probably worth a look for those who do.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So here is Valve's response to the Washington State Gambling Commission

Basically,
tumblr_lov0ebXIRn1qd9x6to1_500.gif

Not terribly surprising that they would take this stance. Now we will see how interested the Washington State gaming comission is in actually forcing change in this area. Perhaps they feel this legal "shot across the bow" is enough to keep Valve in line or if not, it's not clear what rememdies they would seek that Valve would find acceptable. I have a bad feeling that this is headed to the courts sooner or later.

Vibranium

Banned
Well, no PC for RDR2 makes sense with how Rockstar made money with GTAV, it'll show up later in 2018. I'll buy it on Steam since I refuse to use a game with the crappy RSC launcher (we don't need another one). And maybe the Canadian dollar will be back near par!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pretty flippant response. As someone who believes gambling should be more tightly regulated, I hope they are compelled to take affirmative measures to discourage or stop gambling. It's a canard to say the only choice is shut down the market--they can use known gambled data to machine learn patterns about which trades might be gambling oriented; they could have sent C&Ds to gambling sites before the whole scandal earlier this year (the fact that they did not react until after a PR scandal is on its face evidence of their complicity in gambling); they can require a whitelist for Steam OpenID domains and shut down sites that are transparently offering gambling services (despite Valve's characterization of fly-by-night gambling services that start up and shut down, it's actually the case that gambling sites have been well established and long lasting).

You can't make $500,000,000 a year from something and say you're powerless to invest anything in improving it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not terribly surprising that they would take this stance. Now we will see how interested the Washington State gaming comission is in actually forcing change in this area. Perhaps they feel this legal "shot across the bow" is enough to keep Valve in line or if not, it's not clear what rememdies they would seek that Valve would find acceptable. I have a bad feeling that this is headed to the courts sooner or later.

I think my personal point of contention (and probably why the state gambling commission stepped in in the first place) is:

"Valve receives a small transaction fee in Steam Wallet funds for Marketplace transactions, but Valve does not receive any compensation for trading."

Because of this, I believe that they can be legally implicated as "facilitating gambling activities" as they are profiting from it, albeit in an indirect manor. If they decide to go that route, Valve would be in violation of a half dozen or so state gambling laws, including:

WAC 230-06-010 - Age restrictions for players
WAC 230-06-035 - Credit, loans, or gifts prohibited

to name a few.

Parsnip

Do we know which of the million ubi studios is doing the pc version for Watch Dogs 2?
Or does Ubi Montreal do it themselves?

dex3108

Do we know which of the million ubi studios is doing the pc version for Watch Dogs 2?

Ubi started working closely with BlueByte for PC releases. They are doing For Honor PC port and consulting work but I don't kid they are doing WD2 PC.

A couple of ex-United Front employees talked about what happened on reddit. Here are the relevant posts

Best place I've ever worked, full of wonderful people who I wish all the best. This afternoon was a heartbreaking shock.

People keep asking "Where did the single-A games go?" the answer is that people stopped buying them, almost everything is made by tiny teams or giant heartless corporations.

As a former UFG employee until recently, I can confirm this. Just left the 'goodbye' party. Sad to see it happen, but the talent pool there is strong enough that I don't think anyone will have issues getting work.

As to people asking about Sleeping Dogs 2, please bear in mind that Square Enix owns the rights to SD, and as a Developer UFG had no say as to its production or future.

Also former dev here.

I see a lot of questions about Triad Wars so I'll just quickly address those. It was never really a game UFG wanted to make, but Square actually really did for some reason. Honestly I think everyone there saw it as a huge headscratcher why they'd want to go down this route, but we made the best of a bad situation. Obviously it would have been good had the game done well, but it wasn't a surprise to anyone that it didn't. It was a constant uphill battle trying to "fix" what we saw the problems with the game were while at the same time trying to keep a live game running with patches and updates. We learned a lot from that but most of it was "don't make a game this way".

Most of the resources at the studio at the time were put into Smash anyway so that didn't help things. That was the big bet at the studio. Unfortunately it didn't pay off as the numbers just weren't there. Probably a marketing problem more than anything as without a publisher there just wasn't any money there to put the word out.

Also, for all those people saying they wanted Sleeping Dogs 2 - so did we. But it was disheartening seeing every new announcement from the studio just be filled with comments about that title that we had no control over. Square decided long ago they didn't want to invest in it and they own the rights to the IP so tell them not us.

Anyway, it was a hell of a time and I made some of my best friends in life while working there. I think we were just 10 years too late for a studio like that. Please remember us for the good times and learn from the bad!

Apparently everyone except Square Enix wanted Sleepy Dogs 2 :(

Oh and they were working on Smash+Grab while doing Triad Wars. That explains why Triad Wars limped along for a couple of years with nothing good coming out of it.

I think their PC ports are usually handled by Ubi Kiev and Ubi Bucharest. I'm not sure if they handle the porting or just testing them. An Assassin's Creed game usually has 10 studios working on it so it's hard to know what happened where.

yuraya

I'm like 14 hrs into Arkham Knight and there has yet to be a single boss fight. I've been doing a lot of side stuff but still its rather disappointing when you consider that only like 4hrs into Origins there was one of my all time favorite fights. The Batmobile stuff seems to be very heavily implemented into just about everything too. People weren't kidding when they complained about it. Its not all bad or anything but it does become kind of tedious. Hoping the game picks up and becomes more fun as it concludes.

With all that said..the presentation is really amazing. Definitely one of the most impressive Unreal Engine games I ever played. Rocksteady is really talented and they overachieved on so many little things.
Lovin these little Joker segments.
Such a great effort on their end.

Kind of happy this is their last game with this repetitive Batman stuff. They have given this guy more than enough of their time. They need to move on to greater things. Like a Superman game preferably.

Oh and they were working on Smash+Grab while doing Triad Wars. That explains why Triad Wars limped along for a couple of years with nothing good coming out of it.

The thing is why they though in the era of CS:Go, LoL, Dota2, Overwatch and TF2 they thought it would be a good idea to make another MP only game.

The thing is why they though in the era of CS:Go, LoL, Dota2, Overwatch and TF2 they thought it would be a good idea to make another MP only game.

Well it was a last ditch effort. What do you do when no one is willing to pay you for a proper project? Their only hope was for Smash+Grab become an overnight sensation like Battlerite or even Paladins. When that didn't happen they had no choices left.

jshackles

Am I making a mistake in thinking about getting the elder scrolls online?

Nope, it's a great game - and the base version is on sale. If you're even kinda interested in MMOs and/or Elder Scrolls and it's lore, that $20 purchase could net you a few hundred hours of game play.

Just keep in mind that the "upgrade" to the gold edition which includes the first four major expansions will cost you $40 down the road if you decide you want them.

Phawx

Hey fellers, is this a good price on the set: https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/dark-souls-iii-endless-bundle/374320

How do you feel on total value changing much within the coming weeks?

Pretty flippant response. As someone who believes gambling should be more tightly regulated, I hope they are compelled to take affirmative measures to discourage or stop gambling. It's a canard to say the only choice is shut down the market--they can use known gambled data to machine learn patterns about which trades might be gambling oriented; they could have sent C&Ds to gambling sites before the whole scandal earlier this year (the fact that they did not react until after a PR scandal is on its face evidence of their complicity in gambling); they can require a whitelist for Steam OpenID domains and shut down sites that are transparently offering gambling services (despite Valve's characterization of fly-by-night gambling services that start up and shut down, it's actually the case that gambling sites have been well established and long lasting).

You can't make $500,000,000 a year from something and say you're powerless to invest anything in improving it.

Yea, but.. that would require Valve to do work in a timely manner.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Nope, it's a great game - and the base version is on sale. If you're even kinda interested in MMOs and/or Elder Scrolls and it's lore, that $20 purchase could net you a few hundred hours of game play.

Just keep in mind that the "upgrade" to the gold edition which includes the first four major expansions will cost you $40 down the road if you decide you want them.

Might bite the bullet too, although I'd be triple dipping (Xb1, ps4 and now PC) Friends dont play but the game is solo friendly i suppose

I was eying that earlier in the day when it was posted on /r/gamedeals.

It's not super clear (or at least it wasn't to me), but it's bundling:
- Dark Souls 3
- Endless Legend
Price: $38.99

Looking at the historical lows for these:
- DS3 - $31.35
- Endless Legend - $5.24 (or $6.74 if it's Emperor Edition, it's not clear)
TOTAL: $36.59 (or $38.09)

They're also throwing in 35MM ($3.89 historical low).

It seems to be a mediocre deal, even adding in the $3.89 from 35MM.

KingBroly

Banned
New internet. Seems like Valve's caps are 25 MB/s, or I'm doing something wrong.

I went from 32/5/33 (down/up/ping) to 950/950/3 and I can't get higher than 25.

jshackles

Hey fellers, is this a good price on the set: https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/dark-souls-iii-endless-bundle/374320

How do you feel on total value changing much within the coming weeks?

It's about $7.60 over the previous low for Dark Souls III, but it comes bundled with Endless Legend (with a historical low of $5.24 by itself) and 35MM which is bundle fodder.

So in theory you could have already built this bundle yourself for less in the past, but it's an alright deal if you're really looking to jump on Dark Souls III and Endless Legend right now. With the Halloween sale coming soon I'd say there's a chance we'll see a discount on Dark Souls III though I'm not sure how much or whether it will be better. If you can hold off til Black Friday there will almost certainly be a better deal either digitally from the Fall sale, or physically from sites like Amazon / Best Buy.

Ucchedavāda;220582993 said:
.. are they comparing integrated Intel graphics cards with their own GPU?

Yes but to be fair, there's a point:
It's supposed to be a GPU you can fit in any computer even the lowends one, because of how light on power consumption this thing is. No need to change your power supply.

I think the point is to show how this can turn your 3 years old office desktop or toaster into a gaming machine.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think my personal point of contention (and probably why the state gambling commission stepped in in the first place) is:

Because of this, I believe that they can be legally implicated as "facilitating gambling activities" as they are profiting from it, albeit in an indirect manor. If they decide to go that route, Valve would be in violation of a half dozen or so state gambling laws, including:

WAC 230-06-010 - Age restrictions for players
WAC 230-06-035 - Credit, loans, or gifts prohibited

to name a few.

You have to imagine that if they go after Valve on those kinds of grounds (ie liability due to indirectly profiting from third party actions), they would need to have an air tight case or else it will almost certainly end up in court. Which I'm sure is something that Valve does not want.

My understanding of the way most of the gambling sites operated is that they used the trading system and never used the Steam Marketplace (for reference I used one of the Dota 2 item betting sites several years ago - I am of legal gambling age before anyone asks). Maybe the CS:GO stuff is different though, I'm not sure. If Valve could somehow definitively say these third parties never used the marketplace to conduct these things (this seems doubtful, but I have no idea what kinds of logs are kept on Valve's side), then there would be no grounds for the commission to recoup money since Valve never profited. But without being able to definitively say what has occured -- Valve's letter even admits that it happens outside of their knowledge most of the time -- then it feels like really murky waters to me. The kind of waters that a state comission looking for money might try to test in court if they see big $$$ in it for them (which it seems like they do in this case).

The next developments will remain interesting if nothing else. Some tighter regulation on the gambling side of the video game industry might not be a bad thing overall for the players. Especially as regards mobile games but, sadly IMO, none of that is at issue here.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hollow Bliss got greenlit! Working hard on it.

But a question for you all, I've been debating what I should do with the Steam capsule art for the game, and I want to get your guy's opinion if this seems okay, or if I should go with something different?

These first images are the 'small capsule' image, which is the image that appears on the Steam Storefront. I figured the logo wouldn't really work for this, so I want to see if you guys think this is good for the image on the storefront when browsing for the game:

bcbe976bd63b9032b777bff47fbbf944.png

And might this be okay for a Store Header? This is the image that displays on the Steam Store page:

4c3623076bd752171795e1d26f115857.png

There's more I need to work on, but I kind of am debating if I should ask my artist to whip up something or if this will work so she can work more on the project art itself. Opinions are welcome.

mrgone

Does it even include anything? Why is it called a bundle?

Ah, I mistakenly thought it included the season pass listed below. I'll skip this

It's not communicated anywhere on the page, but apparently it's called the Endless bundle as it includes Endless Legend, according to this reddit post. Kind of an unfathomable combination

edit: They added a proper banner to the site that mentions this now, sort of. It still seems weird.

Hollow Bliss got greenlit! Working hard on it.

But a question for you all, I've been debating what I should do with the Steam capsule art for the game, and I want to get your guy's opinion if this seems okay, or if I should go with something different?

These first images are the 'small capsule' image, which is the image that appears on the Steam Storefront. I figured the logo wouldn't really work for this, so I want to see if you guys think this is good for the image on the storefront when browsing for the game:

bcbe976bd63b9032b777bff47fbbf944.png

And might this be okay for a Store Header? This is the image that displays on the Steam Store page:

4c3623076bd752171795e1d26f115857.png

There's more I need to work on, but I kind of am debating if I should ask my artist to whip up something or if this will work so she can work more on the project art itself. Opinions are welcome.

I like it like that. Composition seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom