• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Bought this game as a halloween game or something. But I didn't like Corpse Party that much so I'm just looking for disappointment.
And this just made me realize the digital artbook and soundtrack are pretty cheap so you really aren't saving that much by pre-ordering.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Bought this game as a halloween game or something. But I didn't like Corpse Party that much so I'm just looking for disappointment.
And this just made me realize the digital artbook and soundtrack are pretty cheap so you really aren't saving that much by pre-ordering.

You'll be glad to know Yomawari and Corpse Party don't have much in common. In fact, I'm wondering where you got the idea, "I didn't like Corpse Party, so now I don't think I'll like Yomawari?"

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HowardRoark, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

KHOLAT -- MB-7B5B7916D13DE51A - Taken by KainXVIII. 14 entrants total.
DISTRAINT -- MB-83C1773AA9479191 - Taken by MaxiLive. 4 entrants total.
Dawn of Magic 2 -- MB-7D5586B61048E28B - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
A.I.M.2 Clan Wars -- MB-6401558126D5812B - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 1 entrants total.
Star Wolves -- MB-C6A5F82231D155AD - Taken by illusionary. 4 entrants total.
Apartment 666 -- MB-A03FCB07557DDF18 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Dead But Alive! Southern England -- MB-E00A137A56783690 - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
Planet Alcatraz -- MB-D3313F24A903084E - Taken by Henry Swanson. 6 entrants total.
Konung 2 -- MB-4FEFCCEE8D1A99D7 - Taken by bloke. 1 entrants total.
Konung 3: Ties of the Dynasty -- MB-E6210F6A4B160162

t1476923950z1.png

Good luck friends!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pros of VR:
- Now there are fewer fucking minecraft block world games on Steam

Cons of VR:
- Now every game is a short indie horror room explorer with Unity default assets.

mp1990

Banned
I presume this is the interview in question. What he's saying is that he doesn't want his writers to sanitize the game to avoid bad things like rape or murder happening in it. They present a post apocalyptic game world where morality and the rules that govern civilization and society are dead. So for example you might go to a settlement, lock up all the inhabitants in a room and then burn them alive because you want to steal their supplies and the game will let you do this. Depicting horrible things should not be off the table because it might be offensive to some people.
Uh, that still sounds like a load of bullshit to me. He keeps acting in the interview like any mention of a "problematic" theme in games gets people offended right off the bat. It's completely ok to have things as sexual abuse, torture or anything of the sort in games; what bothers most people is when writers just do that for shocking purposes, without any intent to explore it further (which, and I admit I'm talking out of my ass here, seems a lot like what he's doing on the new game). It's kinda like in Game of Thrones, where one of the main characters is raped on screen, and the show does nothing with it; doesn't try to explore the consequences of sexual harassment, or how the character develops because of that, it's an event that only occurs for shocking the audience, and people have all the right to be offended by that, because rape is too serious of an issue to just be dropped like that. So yeah, if he thinks people are wrong to feel like that, he can go fuck himself.

And, either way, someone who uses "social justice warriors" unironically can't be a good guy, lol.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Schein -- MB-16A9793A3E4599B4 - Taken by gurm3n

zkylon

zkylewd
What a mess of a interview. He wants to do a scifi/post apocalyptic game but doesn't want to "push political agendas"? A bit contraditory, to say the least.
honestly brian's being really fair here since he says he recognized "ripple patterns" and stuff, just that he doesn't make the game with them in mind, which is imo a bit irresponsible but at least he's not denying it

I presume this is the interview in question. What he's saying is that he doesn't want his writers to sanitize the game to avoid bad things like rape or murder happening in it. They present a post apocalyptic game world where morality and the rules that govern civilization and society are dead. So for example you might go to a settlement, lock up all the inhabitants in a room and then burn them alive because you want to steal their supplies and the game will let you do this. Depicting horrible things should not be off the table because it might be offensive to some people.
i think writers and designers should pause and think before inserting sensitive topics in their game for sure

i mean, they should pause and think before doing anything that's going in the game, but if you're getting into a sensitive subject you should maybe be extra careful that you're doing right by the subject matter and approaching it with the seriousness it deserves

if you're gonna do anything half assed don't do it, but that's even worse if it's a sensitive subject, and videogames have historically half assed topics like race, rape, gender violence, depiction of non american cultures, etc.

there's a rape scene in hotline miami 2 that's really tame compared to everything else in the game, lasts 1 second, is skippable and affects the story or the depiction of its characters in no meaningful way

it's the perfect definition of half assed, it's a scene that's reduced only to it being offensive because of the subject matter portrayed, nothing about it is important or meaningful, it's just garbage. that kind of scene shouldn't be in the game, it serves no purpose while being potentially damaging to a number of people that's probably larger than you think

analogue: a hate story (maybe it was the sequel, hate plus, can't remember) is a game in which rape and gender violence is an integral part of its story, it's treated with care and respect but can also be very graphical (as much as you can be with words) and descriptive, its own rape scene is very disturbing and unpleasant, but because it's treated as such and it's given the care it needs it actually means something and is probably one of the best parts in the game. it's no surprise this game is actually written by a woman

so have this stuff in ur game if u want, just don't be a total shit about it

ultimately if you're a writer or a designer it's your job to put good content in front of me, and if you thought it was cool to put that shitty hotline miami 2 rape scene in front of me then you have failed at your job

And, either way, someone who uses "social justice warriors" unironically can't be a good guy, lol.
this

thankfully the sjw talk seems to only be present on the writer's articles

JqrSoKc.png

I definitely got my money's worth out of it. Really enjoyed the story (Donovan is a great sidekick) and the soundtrack was amazing. But there were way too many bugs and freezes. I still recommend it, but get it when it's on sale.
The missions are really repetitive, All I can think of while playing is how I could finish the errands as fast as possible to get to the next story moment.

And this game has the worst pop-ins and LoD range ever.

Jawmuncher

The missions are really repetitive, All I can think of while playing is how I could finish the errands as fast as possible to get to the next story moment.

And this game has the worst pop-ins and LoD range ever.

This kills me. If there's any Open World style I absolutely hate it's that. Makes me even more mad since I felt Mafia 2 has a perfect set up already. Just needed more side content to give players a actual reason to explore the open world.

Here it is

Native 1080p

1440p to 1080p

4K to 1080p
Very good to see how more detail becomes clearly visible. Nice shots dex.
Good on them to not stay silent after the backlash of WD1 PC release.
Apparently Denuvo continues to be in Ubisoft games. Shame. This will cause headaches in the future.
Will Watch Dogs 2 be using Denuvo?

Watch Dogs 2, like all Ubisoft PC games, will use an anti-tamper solution by Denuvo. Watch Dogs 2 requires a one-time online activation upon installation -- an industry standard practice -- and then can be played offline.

I still don't understand why they raised the price of the season pass. It actually had less story content then I was expecting, and I'm not interested in the other stuff. If it was 33% off the original $30 price I'd consider getting it.

Jawmuncher

how do Telltale games like Batman run on an i7/1070?

the build begins...

The newest nvidia updates seem to bring in some stutters here and there.
I say this because when I got my 1060, and had the default drivers I had no stutters. But after I upgraded some of the stuttering hit. Not worth the effort to go and roll back drivers since it's minimal.

Very good to see how more detail becomes clearly visible. Nice shots dex.

Good on them to not stay silent after the backlash of WD1 PC release.
Apparently Denuvo continues to be in Ubisoft games. Shame. This will cause headaches in the future.

denuvo is the new cancer like securom. no buy for who ever uses it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New internet. Seems like Valve's caps are 25 MB/s, or I'm doing something wrong.

I went from 32/5/33 (down/up/ping) to 950/950/3 and I can't get higher than 25.

There's no cap. You can download as fast as the content server/your ISP will allow.

how do Telltale games like Batman run on an i7/1070?

the build begins...
So it does :)
This kills me. If there's any Open World style I absolutely hate it's that. Makes me even more mad since I felt Mafia 2 has a perfect set up already. Just needed more side content to give players a actual reason to explore the open world.
It's not like GTA V has super deep gameplay, but it tried to mix things up with what it had, and its side activities aren't strictly limited to collectibles .

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That's really overkill for this generation, let alone Telltale games which generally require less graphical horsepower. Random Telltale Engine issue notwithstanding.

thanks, i was basically asking if a good enough pc could power through the sluggishness of Telltale's engine

Batman is the worst performing TellTale game and it ran at 1080/60 for me on a i5-2500k/1070.

this is great news, i will have to replay The Wolf Among Us & Tales from the Borderlands this Winter

That's really overkill for this generation, let alone Telltale games which generally require less graphical horsepower. Random Telltale Engine issue notwithstanding.
I thought about that when I bought GTX1080. Then I releaized there is no such thing as overkill, there's always higher resolution to chase after (1440p, 4K, or downsample), higher framerate to pursue (playing shooters at 144fps makes 60fps feel sluggish in comparison).

JaseC

Speaking of builds, it seems the latest BIOS update for the ASUS X99-A II finally fixed my overclock stability issues. Previously, playing The Witcher 3 for around half an hour or Just Cause 3 for 10-15 minutes would result in a sudden restart, however, with the update installed, I recently finished up what I had left of the former over a few days and had no issues, and after restarting the latter's third mini-expansion yesterday I'm already further than I was before following a single, uninterrupted ~one-hour session.

While I'm glad I can finally enjoy my upgrade free of incidents, the experience has soured me on ever again combining an ASUS motherboard with a new-release CPU. The instability was so frustrating that I strongly considered going back to my 2600K and selling the stuff I'd bought.

(I bet I've jinxed myself by posting this.)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Splatter - Blood Red Edition -- MB-06322FE90F851BFB - Taken by Mikurden

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Splatter - Blood Red Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

jediyoshi

It's been a long road, but it looks like with today's Tomb Raider patch, DX12 finally performs better on my 970.

o8ShJiz.jpg

Weird lower max values, but huge boost to minimums.

It's been a long road, but it looks like with today's Tomb Raider patch, DX12 finally performs better on my 970.

o8ShJiz.jpg

Weird lower max values, but huge boost to minimums.

Wow, that almost convinced me to replay the game. But then I remember that I've 100%-ed the game and I don't have the anniversary pack nor the season pass. Oh well.. :/

I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider and Season Pass on both Xbox and PC and have played about an hour between the two. I really should get around to playing it.

Catshade

That new store update seems...quite underwhelming. I expected a more drastic change, but yeah this is Valve we're talking about.

JaseC

That new store update seems...quite underwhelming. I expected a more drastic change, but yeah this is Valve we're talking about.

The store update that leaked a few weeks back hasn't happened yet, if that's what you're thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom