• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That new store update seems...quite underwhelming. I expected a more drastic change, but yeah this is Valve we're talking about.

The store update that leaked a few weeks back hasn't happened yet, if that's what you're thinking of.

Yup, I can tell you as a developer that can look at what Steam's plan is (and since this is public knowledge now), today's update is only one change of several, I guess they just decided to relay this one first for whatever reason.

dex3108

Post on GTA Forums ladies and gentlemen

CvG0ZmdXEAAz5f0.jpg

Tellaerin

What? I think it's because I upped my medication but is that guy saying that aiming is easier on a gamepad and almost impossible on PC unless it's a spray and pray gun?

Duh. Everyone knows that mice are incredibly imprecise compared to gamepads. I mean, mice don't even have autoaim, man.

deejay

The missions are really repetitive, All I can think of while playing is how I could finish the errands as fast as possible to get to the next story moment.

And this game has the worst pop-ins and LoD range ever.

The last part was minimal for me, and didn't bother me as much, but the mission design is extremely repetitive. Yeah, every game has repetitiveness but you practically do the same thing over and over again here. There's absolutely no variety.
Other than that it's a fine game, but there's just too little to do.

The last part was minimal for me, and didn't bother me as much, but the mission design is extremely repetitive. Yeah, every game has repetitiveness but you practically do the same thing over and over again here. There's absolutely no variety.
Other than that it's a fine game, but there's just too little to do.
Should have reduced the number of missions and added a fast travel system.

Sometimes when driving my mind would start drifting elsewhere, and I would crash into a car because it popped in 10 meters away.

Catshade

Yup, I can tell you as a developer that can look at what Steam's plan is (and since this is public knowledge now), today's update is only one change of several, I guess they just decided to relay this one first for whatever reason.

Oh. Well, thanks for the insider info, that's a little bit reassuring.

Arthea

I can't help but keep wondering what's happening with HB. Rebundles, no second week additions, two weeks without a bundle. Is there any explanation of all this?
I left betrayaltons out of this, because nobody needs reasons for that, apparently

Post on GTA Forums ladies and gentlemen

there is no wall of facepalms big enough for this

Deques

I can't help but keep wondering what's happening with HB. Rebundles, no second week additions, two weeks without a bundle. Is there any explanation of all this?
I left betrayaltons out of this, because nobody needs reasons for that, apparently

there is no wall of facepalms big enough for this

Maybe less and less developers/publishers agree on to being featured in bundles? I mean those devs that make great games, not crappy games that are featured in IndieGala bundles

Pixieking

Banned
I can't keep but wonder what's happening with HB. Rebundles, no second week additions, two weeks without a bundle. Is there any explanation of all this?

Entirely speculation on my part, but I think the bundle business is collapsing, and Humble want to shift over to premium bundles (like the Monthly and AAA publisher bundles) and non-gaming (like comics/books) in order to keep profits up. The number of bundle sites is dropping, and Bundlestars and Indiegala are hoovering-up a lot of the smaller games.

In addition to that, I received this in my email recently:

With Humble Store Rewards, 5% of every purchase fills your wallet!
Reward yourself with great games like these:

Which indicates they want their customers to move over to purchasing games on their store, rather than waiting for a bundle. Finally, the need for bundles is less now than it was say 5 years ago - the indie market is stronger, and whilst devs and pubs see bundles as a nice little earner, they've realised that bundling should be the last stop on the sales tail (with some exceptions, depending upon individual cash-flow and income levels).

Deques

We have lived a time where Humble only had two bundles in a year. Why can't we live Humble not doing a bundle a week or two?

Arthea

Maybe less and less developers/publishers agree on to being featured in bundles? I mean those devs that make great games, not crappy games that are featured in IndieGala bundles

let's be fair, indiegala had many good games in their bundles, among the mountains of junk, true

but you might be onto something here, maybe devs don't see bundles as a way to get people to play their game and spread a word, considering that many bundled games never get played.

We have lived a time where Humble only had two bundles in a year. Why can't we live Humble not doing a bundle a week or two?

nobody lives so far back in the past, nobody!
we talking ancient history here

Tellaerin

but you might be onto something here, maybe devs don't see bundles as a way to get people to play their game and spread a word, considering that many bundled games never get played.

Though to be fair, at least when those games get bundled, there's a chance someone will play them (out of curiosity, if nothing else), and the devs and publishers still earn something. I think some of these games would normally hardly sell at all, and only get into peoples' hands by riding the coattails of other, more popular games in a bundle.

Arthea

Looking for someone in US or any other country that is not in Europe that can help me to buy a game from Nuuvem.

http://www.nuuvem.com/item/guilty-gear-xx-accent-core-plus-r

It's sold for $3.6 with nuuvem10 coupon. Need help from someone who can buy it

Though to be fair, at least when those games get bundled, there's a chance someone will play them (out of curiosity, if nothing else), and the devs and publishers still earn something. I think some of these games would normally hardly sell at all, and only get into peoples' hands by riding the coattails of other, more popular games in a bundle.

well, yes, but lately if you follow steamgaf, you'll see that much less bundled games get played, even ozzie stopped playing weird stuff!
On more serious note, I see the pattern, but could be that people just don't post about it, then again, many games I've played, nobody else on my fl played, especially bundled ones, so it's not just a theory.

You missed the word "except"

dang!
I totally did, bah

AHA-Lambda

I presume this is the interview in question. What he's saying is that he doesn't want his writers to sanitize the game to avoid bad things like rape or murder happening in it. They present a post apocalyptic game world where morality and the rules that govern civilization and society are dead. So for example you might go to a settlement, lock up all the inhabitants in a room and then burn them alive because you want to steal their supplies and the game will let you do this. Depicting horrible things should not be off the table because it might be offensive to some people.

What a horrible little website :s

Ascheroth

I don't like this continuing trend of finding extra ways of milking your customers in full price titles. Macrotransactions, loot crates, 'play early' (which is more like buy extra to play on launch or don't to play it later)...
It doesn't really affect me since I don't play many AAA games to begin with, if any, but I don't like the way the industry is developing regardless.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xWBm0BY.png
Uplay 10% off -- MB-FEA74D4656D0E194

I received this in my mail, since I don't buy games on Uplay, it might be usefull to someone else (dunno why Modbot selected such an image).

Anyway I tried World of FF demo and... I didn't like it. I mean, the demo itself is very bad and empty. I don't know if that dungeon is created ad hoc for the demo, but it was bland, too linear and so empty, despite some FF characters giving you an item with a useless dialogue line.
But..
The stuff in the cutscenes seems very interesting at least. I know some nice cutscenes can't save a game, so I need to understand if it's just a bad demo or the full game will be better. Anyway I won't buy this for full price on console, if it's good enough I'll get it on Pc for 15-20€.

I don't think it's a bad thing. I'd rather have fewer bundles with (hopefully) higher quality games over the Indiegala flooding strategy of games that go straight from Greenlight to bundle.

Two days to a new Stellaris patch (plus the Leviathans expansion) and Total Warhammer patch (plus The King & The Warlord DLC).

What a time to be alive!
I presume this is the interview in question. What he's saying is that he doesn't want his writers to sanitize the game to avoid bad things like rape or murder happening in it. They present a post apocalyptic game world where morality and the rules that govern civilization and society are dead. So for example you might go to a settlement, lock up all the inhabitants in a room and then burn them alive because you want to steal their supplies and the game will let you do this. Depicting horrible things should not be off the table because it might be offensive to some people.

That's one doozy of an article (and website...). I think the biggest problem with the piece is that, based on my time with Wasteland 2, their premise of inXile pushing the envelope in storytelling is completely laughable. Wasteland 2 has a skeleton of a story and characters, mostly existing to ferry players between gameplay encounters. (Unless the Director's Cut fundamentally improved things.)

Like, the moral ambiguities of the wasteland, such as deciding whether to murder every bandit or simply rob them blind and leave them to die, are questions that Wasteland 2 doesn't want to answer. It will occasionally address questions like this in certain questlines, but acting as if it is some bastion of storytelling is insulting to the games that actually try. I actually feel that the writing in WL2 is at its best when it's a nugget of referential humour that's kind of breaking the fourth wall.

For post-apocalyptic writing with some heft, look no further than Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games. They understand worldbuilding, character development, and how to make a grand story out of it all, all without acting like jerks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So there's a new step Steam introduced for when you submit your games to Steam, I won't say much because of the internal confidentiality, but I'll just say they took a VERY different approach than I expected, and I'm wondering if the change here will lead to other interesting storefront changes.

The one disadvantage for developers is that they have to work a bit around Valve Time before release now.

Hektor

I don't like this continuing trend of finding extra ways of milking your customers in full price titles. Macrotransactions, loot crates, 'play early' (which is more like buy extra to play on launch or don't to play it later)...
It doesn't really affect me since I don't play many AAA games to begin with, if any, but I don't like the way the industry is developing regardless.

The two worst things about the videogame industry are the companies that make them and a vocal amount of people that play them.

It's really sad.

Pixieking

Banned
So there's a new step Steam introduced for when you submit your games to Steam, I won't say much because of the internal confidentiality, but I'll just say they took a VERY different approach than I expected, and I'm wondering if the change here will lead to other interesting storefront changes.

The one disadvantage for developers is that they have to work a bit around Valve Time before release now.

Would this be something like bare-minimum curation to ensure no legal problems with games released on Steam? Or am I wildly off-base here? :)

Ludens

Banned
Bought Flashback just because I know the original game was included. I boot the game, unlock the classic title on Uplay for 0 points, boot it...and it's not even full screen. You play it from an arcade, it's missing the music and it looks like crap. What the hell, why Ubisoft thought this was a good idea? Making a fullscreen version with the soundtrack was too much?

yuraya

Soon you'll be able to pay like 150$ to play the game 30 days early.

Pay 500$ to play the game 6 months early.

Also microtransactions to speed up release date

tumblr_m6as5eiQPG1qjkugeo1_1280.gif

The worst is yet to come

Bought Flashback just because I know the original game was included. I boot the game, unlock the classic title on Uplay for 0 points, boot it...and it's not even full screen. You play it from an arcade, it's missing the music and it looks like crap. What the hell, why Ubisoft thought this was a good idea? Making a fullscreen version with the soundtrack was too much?

Because Ubisoft.

yuraya

If a dev is refusing to announce platforms for an already announced game its most likely an NX exclusive.

Default = PS4, X1 and PC

Anything suspicious = Nintendo moneyhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom