• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

Didn't Stump praise this game? Part of the reason I got it wishlisted :p
Seems this discount lasts until the 26th of October; would the Halloween sale start by then by any chance?

One week is standard launch discount.

Halloween sale is 28th - 1st.

Annubis

Agreed. They are too busy. It feels like you want to show too much, because you are proud of what you did. The content is still in the game, so it is okay to not show everything in the header and rather choose wisely what you want to show: something easy to recognize so that I can get a clear idea of what to expect, and then a look at screenshots or the trailer if I am interested. I prefer B because it is clearer what is depicted at first glance, but it is still too busy with two characters, plus background, plus title, plus effects.

Well, I'm not Dusk so I'm not really well placed for any of this, but you'd mean something more like

Dusk1.jpg

or
Dusk2.jpg

?

Didn't Stump praise this game? Part of the reason I got it wishlisted :p
Seems this discount lasts until the 26th of October; would the Halloween sale start by then by any chance?

idk if he did but I loved playing this game. Single player was cool and I did beat it however, it never gave me incentive to replay it. The multiplayer was great though however it fizzled out pretty fast.

The developer said they might add online multiplayer to the game which kind of boggles my mind why wasn't this title Early Access with a slightly lower price. It would've provided a bit more sales.

Tellaerin

"Final Negligee Fantasy: Quest for the Great Crystal"? :p

Maybe I should change my avatar to commemorate this release...

Well, I'm not Dusk so I'm not really well placed for any of this, but you'd mean something more like

Dusk1.jpg

or
Dusk2.jpg

?

I'm not Dusk either, but I definitely think you're on the right track with these. :)

I like the second one. It reads well from a distance, and it also conveys horror. (You don't really get that from the first one. Without anything else in the image to provide context, the character in it just comes off as "blonde-haired hero". The game itself could be about virtually anything.)

While true, that was actually six years ago at this point.

At least the bitching ala "Only bad bundles" would be gone.

I mean bundles have devaluated a lot of actually nice Indiegames. I would even argue as long as we dont have "AAA indiegames" (as in with a lot of marketing, word of mouth), people woul still say Bundle ABC is bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
What a horrible little website :s

yea why would u even interview with a site like that

That's one doozy of an article (and website...). I think the biggest problem with the piece is that, based on my time with Wasteland 2, their premise of inXile pushing the envelope in storytelling is completely laughable. Wasteland 2 has a skeleton of a story and characters, mostly existing to ferry players between gameplay encounters. (Unless the Director's Cut fundamentally improved things.)

Like, the moral ambiguities of the wasteland, such as deciding whether to murder every bandit or simply rob them blind and leave them to die, are questions that Wasteland 2 doesn't want to answer. It will occasionally address questions like this in certain questlines, but acting as if it is some bastion of storytelling is insulting to the games that actually try. I actually feel that the writing in WL2 is at its best when it's a nugget of referential humour that's kind of breaking the fourth wall.

For post-apocalyptic writing with some heft, look no further than Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games. They understand worldbuilding, character development, and how to make a grand story out of it all, all without acting like jerks.

i mean, fallout new vegas was great at this and even it had issues

i'm cool with sensitive themes being portrayed in games, just treat them with the sensitivity they deserve

if not you're not better than hatred or whatever

Hektor

yea why would u even interview with a site like that

i mean, fallout new vegas was great at this and even it had issues

i'm cool with sensitive themes being portrayed in games, just treat them with the sensitivity they deserve

if not you're not better than hatred or whatever

i'd say there is still a middleground between treating something without enough sensitivity and outright glorifying it like Hatred.

Tizoc

Valkyria Chronicles is showing 900K owners as per SteamSpy.
We're 1 month away from it's 2nd year on Steam, while 100K in one month's time isn't feasible a good discount or bundle could help it reach that 1 mil. owners @_@

Uzzy

Are EA games disqualified for 'Gaf GOTY votes?

'Cause I've already got a few on my preliminary list and they ain't going anywhere.

If they release on Steam, then they're allowed. Sadly, it looks like EA will miss out on another shot at the much vaunted SteamGAF GOTY award.

Knurek

Valkyria Chronicles is showing 900K owners as per SteamSpy.
We're 1 month away from it's 2nd year on Steam, while 100K in one month's time isn't feasible a good discount or bundle could help it reach that 1 mil. owners @_@

You know what would let VC easily reach 1M owners?
Sega bloody releasing VC2+3 PC port (+putting VC on a promotional discount).

Phawx

Guys I am having so much fun playing with the GPDwin. Just having every effing BIOS option available is a bonanza. Also I'll be able to play games from my Steam library on my commute!

Gotta start putting some indie games on it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You know what would let VC easily reach 1M owners?
Sega bloody releasing VC2+3 PC port (+putting VC on a promotional discount).

You aren't wrong, but if I remember correctly VC2 + 3 were not as well liked as the original because they moved into the "special high school war class" anime trope. Maybe that's just my recollection. I definitely remember hearing they changed some things beyond that, but the story change of anime high schoolers but now also war just kills my interest. Japan catering to the home market, yet again hampering its worldwide appeal. SMH.

Wok

Dusk1.jpg

or
Dusk2.jpg

?

Yep. First one gets my interest there.

This is interesting. The banner gets the job done although it is busy: lots of waifus to choose from, and each of them ready to show their skin.

It is like 1 idea + 1 title written with adequate font + whatever background to fill the holes.

Nillansan

You know what would let VC easily reach 1M owners? Sega bloody releasing VC2+3 PC port (+putting VC on a promotional discount).

The second and third entries are supposedly severely subpar experiences, so I really hope it's something else. Everything points to Vanquish.

Ascheroth

I dunno, bringing the other VC games to Steam would require a lot of work, wouldn't it? Just dumping the original PSP games with higher resolution might not fly well with the PC VC crowd after how great VC1 looked. It just doesn't seem realistic with Segas current porting strategy.
Besides I haven't heard much good about them anyway.

Grief.exe

When is Dragon Quest Builders coming to PC? Looks fun fam.

Are EA games disqualified for 'Gaf GOTY votes?

'Cause I've already got a few on my preliminary list and they ain't going anywhere.

They have to be out of Early Access to count on SteamGAF GOTY.

Guys I am having so much fun playing with the GPDwin. Just having every effing BIOS option available is a bonanza. Also I'll be able to play games from my Steam library on my commute!

Gotta start putting some indie games on it.

I keep forgetting to check out your video coverage, hopefully i can remember tonight.

You aren't wrong, but if I remember correctly VC2 + 3 were not as well liked as the original because they moved into the "special high school war class" anime trope. Maybe that's just my recollection. I definitely remember hearing they changed some things beyond that, but the story change of anime high schoolers but now also war just kills my interest. Japan catering to the home market, yet again hampering its worldwide appeal. SMH.

Sega are in kind of an awkward position with VC2/3 on multiple fronts. Likely at the bottom of their priority list, if even considered at all.

Likely going to be day one for me.

Phawx

You know, whenever someone would bring up waifu I always took it as tongue-in-cheek. But now the lines have been blurred and I don't know if people are actually joking.

Also if that's your thing, that's totally cool, please don't take my comment to dismiss your hobby.

I just, I don't know who is saying things ironically anymore. haha.

I keep forgetting to check out your video coverage, hopefully i can remember tonight.

The plan is to do a meaty review after I feel I've had enough time with it. Probably do a new topic on gaming side. Hoping to do it both written and video.

Just beat the last level of Clustertruck, which took me almost two hours, and that's after started using the slow-mo ability that I hadn't touched before (I only used double-jump on previous levels). If not for that ability, which allowed me to nail a few specific parts of the level that I could not do consistently, I would probably just have abandoned the game entirely.

Why do some developers think that it's a good idea to have a massive difficulty spike on the last level? Clustertruck is far from the first game where I have seen this. Even if the game-play itself is fun, it is not enjoyable to go from (very) difficult to GFTO and spend a disproportionate amount of time on a single level.

EDIT: Incidentally, Clustertruck was my 1000th game on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom