• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Actually i palyed a lot of Quake 3 between 2000 and 2005,so I am not actually a noob, just need lots of practice. So you say the Quake Live community is more noob-friendly than Quake 3?

To be clear, what I was getting at is that there are still "classic" Quake 3 servers but they're largely populated by people who have been playing Quake 3 since it was known as Quake 3. Bethesda has made many changes to Quake Live in the interest of luring new players, but the game began as something of a carbon copy of OSP/CPM-infused Quake 3, which discouraged newcomers as they were jumping into a game that was mechanically identical to the very same title many others had been playing for years.

To answer your question directly: Yeah, Quake Live is what you want... but it's on borrowed time at this point as a game doesn't go from free-to-play -> optional subscriptions -> pay-to-play on Steam because it's doing well. Especially with Quake Champions on the horizon.

Been on an Diablo-like ARPG kick lately, finishing Van Helsing Final Cut and now going through Torchlight 2. Can you guys recommend any similar ones that can scratch the itch?

I was thinking I'll give PoE another shot, and looking at the Dungeon Siege series, Fate, Marvel Heroes, and/or Grim Dawn (probably will pick it up next Steam sale).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Been on an Diablo-like ARPG kick lately, finishing Van Helsing Final Cut and now going through Torchlight 2. Can you guys recommend any similar ones that can scratch the itch?

I was thinking I'll give PoE another shot, and looking at the Dungeon Siege series, Fate, Marvel Heroes, and/or Grim Dawn (probably will pick it up next Steam sale).

Titan Quest.

Sarcasm

Titan quest.

Grim dawn is the header for humble monthly. Got a day or so to think if you want it. Humblebundle.com

Card Boy

Banned

Althought the loot sucks i did enjoy Victor Vran. The guy who voices Geralt from the Witcher series voices Victor.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Really looking forward to Dodonpachi and Thumper this month!

Thumper is finally a rhythm game with my kinda music...

One hundred twenty-two Steam keys. Serious question, how and why someone can have all this stuff to donate?

looks like various Bundle leftovers for the most part.

Yeah, it's basically everything that is left over since I started buying bundles and Humble Monthly, plus a couple of accidental double purchases, Civilization 6, and stuff like that, minus what I've already given away to friends and SteamGAF.

Titan Quest.

Titan quest.

Grim dawn is the header for humble monthly. Got a day or so to think if you want it. Humblebundle.com

Oh yea, nice. I had forgotten the Anniversary Edition was released not too long ago. Thanks.

As for the HB monthly, I was thinking about it, but I have dig in to curb my spending after torpedoing the fun budget on a new AC unit. I'll have to use my steam wallet instead when its on sale.

Althought the loot sucks i did enjoy Victor Vran. The guy who voices Geralt from the Witcher series voices Victor.

I played a little bit of Victor Vran before Van Helsing, I'm not sure why I couldn't get into it. Yea, the loot wasn't that great, the story didn't hook me, but I think I was a little annoyed with the control scheme with having to switch between weapons so often. I'll go back and try it again sometime after rebinding some of the controls.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh snap Civ VI month

really need to build that PC ASAP. at the very least, i'll pick up a 1070 this month for the free Gears code and pick up the rest next month.

AHA-Lambda

Damn, hasn't realised how busy October seems actually

I've got on my radar:
Aragami
Silver Case
New episode of Higurashi
Dark Souls 3 DLC
Shadow Warrior 2

Thumper seems kinda neat too, but what exactly is it? A racer?

Hektor

d4QbwQ8.png

Role Playing Goodness

Lain

I'd like to get the Yomawari: Night Alone Physical LE, but it's £73.98 with shipping and I don't even know if I'd have to pay customs since those silly England people decided to leave EU.
Though I shouldn't be giving money to the NISE scammers.

cyba89

Aside from DS3 DLC October seems like a backlog month for me.
Aside from that I'm only slightly interested in Paper Mario but that's a huge maybe til reviews hit.

So perfect time to finally play SteinsGate.

Madn

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Madn, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

King Bomb Paladins Skin -- MB-095BB3CC2348C505 - Taken by Kagemusha
Runestone Keeper -- MB-168675E9748E69D3 - Taken by jon bones
Jefe Ymir SMITE Skin -- MB-7E94276B167781DE

fallout

Bah. I don't want to be "that guy", but can we remember that D: OS2 was Kickstarted, and backers got their keys this month. This is total owners, not sales.
This might be a silly argument to get into, but why shouldn't they be counted as sales in your mind? That's still money that went to the developer, but it happened before the game was made. If anything, those sales are the most significant ones.

Nzyme32

I hate some of the console-ification of Deus Ex MD, or rather its port from what was clearly console focused.

UI is entirely focused on controller with the exception of the inventory bar, but that isn't enough - for example I can't bind all the augs to different keys and instead have to waddle through circular menus that halt the game.

More annoying is the terrible way in which notifications have to be accessed. For example, mission updates / new data pads etc, when picked up quickly or simply near the vicinity of a mission, will have sequential popups all assigned to "see more with E", so in some missions - particularly ones where you have an instant fail state when caught - I might want to quickly take someone out and move the body, but long press of E has to be bound to all notifications and the use / move body function, so you can't successfully do a whole bunch of manoeuvres that would have been simple as fuck on a PC with more buttons to not need such a shitty system.

So many disappointing little things with this PC port. Like even aspect ratios still are not respected for certain UI elements, clearly showing the PC arbitrary resolutions as an after thought. Infuriating

Drakhyrr

October is a good month, but I will probably be busy with all my GOGs. Their new brazillian pricing really did it for me. I'm buying way more games in this sale than I have in the last two year's Steam sales.

Really wondering if Shadow Warrior 2 will be good. I loved the first, but random maps and loot... I will have to wait and see.

I'd like to get the Yomawari: Night Alone Physical LE, but it's £73.98 with shipping and I don't even know if I'd have to pay customs since those silly England people decided to leave EU.
Though I shouldn't be giving money to the NISE scammers.

The UK haven't left the EU yet. In fact, the UK haven't even started the process of actually leaving the EU, which is done by invoking article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, and even then it'll take at least 2 more years before the UK finally exits the EU. So customs should not apply if you buy from Amazon.co.uk from within the EU any time soon.

Knurek

I almost forgot just how slow beginnings of each of Umineko episodes were.
Almost.
Of course the build-up makes the moment the killing game starts all the more exciting.
Still, 10 bloody hours in episode one? I wonder how many people gave up on the game after hour 3-4?

Pixieking

Banned
This might be a silly argument to get into, but why shouldn't they be counted as sales in your mind? That's still money that went to the developer, but it happened before the game was made. If anything, those sales are the most significant ones.

Well, like you say - they happened before the game was made. If we're trying to use Steamspy stats to determine how "healthy" a franchise or developer is, then using Kickstarter backers is a bit besides-the-point - they're not really "sales" as they are an "investment" in the developer to make the game, with a Steam key at the end of it.

But I suppose it depends what you're using the stats for. I just assumed up there that we're using Steamspy stats to determine health of a franchise or dev. If that's true then what we're really looking for is a rough-guide to the developer's income from a game. Kickstarter backers could get a Steam key for anything from $25 upwards, compared to the $45 it's currently selling for on Steam. Which means that counting each of the current owners of the game as a sale skews the figures for Larian's income model.

But, this skewing works both positively and negatively, since the Kickstarter had a total of 20,000 backers at the $25 and $26 tiers, but 300 backers at the $100 tier.

But! If you're looking for popularity more than income, then you can disregard all that, and just work on the basis that owners = both people who are excited enough to register their Backer key on Steam, and people who have bought it.

(Sorry, long-winded explanation of my reasoning. :) )

Nzyme32

Sigh - and Deus Ex MD takes another sour turn - the mobile app for scanning the triangle codes actually gives a spoiler for the damn game!

Lomax

Because if people are wondering about steam sales, or post release sales, those prior sales just confound that information. They were also sold at a different price point. The original post was about sales on steam this month, which should not include kickstarter key activations if you want an accurate comparison. It's not about being pedantic (or trying to undervalue kickstarter) it's about comparing apples to apples.

Kudo

Has Valve said anything about the new Steam Controller revision after they announced it? Looks like it's -30% at the moment but I want the new rev if its little less bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom