• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Has Valve said anything about the new Steam Controller revision after they announced it? Looks like it's -30% at the moment but I want the new rev if its little less bulky.

It won't happen anytime soon. Direct from the horses mouth in the Controller thread:

Don't expect anything this year on that front, it's still in early design exploration.

-

All the triangle stuff is just garbage, I recommend not using it. I mean maybe after you've finished the game and want some bts stuff, but doing that while you are playing just breaks the pacing of the game (even more).

Yeah I just finished the game, all that traingle stuff was pointless, but none of it was spoilery except for the one near the end, which then flat out tells me "Designing the Final Map of the Game x y z". At least that prepared me for the abrupt end, which really indicates to me that Squenix cut the game in half for another a reason to sell another game. Still, I enjoyed the game outside the infuriating console-ised design of several things.

hohoXD123

Went from playing happily on a decade old 360 controller, to considering an X1 controller, to buying an Elite controller in the end, how does this even happen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, I'm disappointed. If I had known Black Ops 3 was just gonna be what the free weekend was and not Zombies, I wouldn't have attempted to win. :/

Phinor

Went from playing happily on a decade old 360 controller, to considering an X1 controller, to buying an Elite controller in the end, how does this even happen.

I went from being really happy with my 3570k CPU up until yesterday when I started to have this irrational feeling of needing an upgrade and I just finished ordering 6700k, motherboard and memory and to top it off, I had already decided not to order but then I found a, and this is the insane part, 10 euro discount code for the order and I couldn't resist it after that.

So, you know, it could be worse.

The quest for the perfect controller is a difficult one :/
I'm tempted to buy a new X1 controller. I have the first gen one and I hate the bumpers. I heard it's now improved... but compatibility worries me.

Anteater

Game design ages poorly, too, though. Plenty of games from the PS1/N64 era get dinged now because they are "collect-a-thons," for example.

Outland comes from a time when people were still wide-eyed and cherub-faced for indie games, especially ones that were console exclusives. The environment that overlooked the problems the game has doesn't exist anymore (and didn't really exist when it was released on PC).

There aren't even a lot of similar games with similar mechanics that make it looks worse in retrospect, either. It didn't suddenly get worse because our standards improved. Our standards were bad to begin with.

the thing is that the ps1/n64 era games are still remembered fondly and a lot of people want sequels for them tho

I mean I'm not very familiar with these side scrolling games back from the psx/n64 era, I wasn't actually there when the psx castlevania games (symphony of night?) came out, so I can't really say how outland is quality wise compared to the older games, so in my perspective it plays really well when I bought it not long ago, like that guacamelee game but with different elements, when someone say something didn't age, I often think of designs and controls that are outdated

hohoXD123

I went from being really happy with my 3570k CPU up until yesterday when I started to have this irrational feeling of needing an upgrade and I just finished ordering 6700k, motherboard and memory and to top it off, I had already decided not to order but then I found a, and this is the insane part, 10 euro discount code for the order and I couldn't resist it after that.

So, you know, it could be worse.

Yup, it could definitely be worse. PC gaming eh?

Knurek

The quest for the perfect controller is a difficult one :/
I'm tempted to buy a new X1 controller. I have the first gen one and I hate the bumpers. I heard it's now improved... but compatibility worries me.

71uQYNKiKCL._SX425_.jpg

Still the king for the types of games you play on PC.
(Best for VNs and Nintendo emulators by a mile!)

Ascheroth

Yeah, I'll also need a new controller soon-ish but I'm unsure what to get.
Have a DS3 currently, not really sure if I want an X1 and have heard that the X360 has a shit DPAD, which is a no go for me.
Should I go with a DS4?

Xanathus

Well, I'm disappointed. If I had known Black Ops 3 was just gonna be what the free weekend was and not Zombies, I wouldn't have attempted to win. :/

If you're not gonna use it, I'd like to pass it to a friend and they can buy the starter upgrade DLC to get the full game and we can play co-op.

xezuru

Would love it if my cord wasn't fucked always on the edge of dcing from the computer, not sure if it's straight up the port in the controller but fk.

Anyone has feedback of Rebel Galaxy? Thinking about getting it during the sale.

It's pretty fun. It's basically Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 naval ship combat but in space. The graphics are good enough and the game's got a good loop of stuff to do.

I'm enjoying it enough on PS4 through PS+ that I may pick it up on PC.

This XCOM x Worms game is really good.
You should check it out.

This is my GOTY so far.

71uQYNKiKCL._SX425_.jpg

Nah, unperfect for multiple reasons. First and foremost, the terrible battery life. Second, not native support. Even with custom drivers, I don't know if it works that well. Amazing potential but still some shortcomings :/
Why for VNs though ?

Jawmuncher

Nah, unperfect for multiple reasons. First and foremost, the terrible battery life. Second, not native support. Even with custom drivers, I don't know if it works that well. Amazing potential but still some shortcomings :/
Why for VNs though ?

Can use touchpad as a mouse

Nillansan

Yeah, I'll also need a new controller soon-ish but I'm unsure what to get.
Have a DS3 currently, not really sure if I want an X1 and have heard that the X360 has a shit DPAD, which is a no go for me.
Should I go with a DS4?

Go with the latest iteration of the Xbox One controller.

Levyne

Banned
I'm interested in trying the XBO Elite Controller, but my 360 controller is still near flawless and buying a new controller for no reason seems like a waste of money :/

Plus Steam Link supports 360, but not XBO?

The Xbox One Elite controller is as good as it gets. Excellent piece of hardware.

The only thing preventing me to get it is how MS managed to make Xinput being managed differently. So for some games, especially Unity ones, Xinput support on XB1 controller is messed up :/

Nillansan

The only thing preventing me to get it is how MS managed to make Xinput being managed differently. So for some games, especially Unity ones, Xinput support on XB1 controller is messed up :/

That's an OS related issue right? I am not experiencing any problems on Windows 7, I am playing INSIDE using my Elite controller right this moment actually.

I made it to hell for the first time in Spelunky. I had all the good items (including the jetpack) and was easily able to beat olmec in the right spot.

I managed to reach the third or fourth level in hell, but then my murder rampage in the black market came to bite me back in the ass (an angry shopkeeper killed me).

Knurek

Nah, unperfect for multiple reasons. First and foremost, the terrible battery life.

Battery life is much better on PC, since you can disable the lightbar and shutdown the thing while not playing.
I get about an 8 hours per charge, and with the official charging station bringing the pad from 0 to 100% takes about an hour.

Second, not native support. Even with custom drivers, I don't know if it works that well.

Absolutely no problems when using DS4Windows.
It's less problematic than X1 controller, and that one has native support.
Only thing you're missing is controller button prompts in most of the games - but since the buttons themselves are in the same location as the X360 pad, it's not like this is a big problem (does anyone look up where X or Y is after, dunno, two weeks spent using a pad?)

Why for VNs though ?

1. As stated before, touchpad means mouse support.
2. You can also make a custom profile, mapping DPAD and all face button to Enter key (which is standard VN for 'proceed') - meaning you can easily hold the controller with one hand, scrolling the text and fap with the other hand.

hohoXD123

I'm interested in trying the XBO Elite Controller, but my 360 controller is still near flawless and buying a new controller for no reason seems like a waste of money :/

Plus Steam Link supports 360, but not XBO?

The build quality and customisation are excellent on the Elite, managed to get it new off ebay for £85, don't regret buying it though not sure I'd spend that much again to replace it if it breaks somewhere down the line. Though admittedly one of the reasons was that it suited my Fractal R4 case >_<

hohoXD123

I made it to hell for the first time in Spelunky. I had all the good items (including the jetpack) and was easily able to beat olmec in the right spot.

I managed to reach the third or fourth level in hell, but then my murder rampage in the black market came to bite me back in the ass (an angry shopkeeper killed me).

The shopkeeper always collects his debts.

Battery life is much better on PC, since you can disable the lightbar and shutdown the thing while not playing.
I get about an 8 hours per charge, and with the official charging station bringing the pad from 0 to 100% takes about an hour.

Absolutely no problems when using DS4Windows.
It's less problematic than X1 controller, and that one has native support.
Only thing you're missing is controller button prompts in most of the games - but since the buttons themselves are in the same location as the X360 pad, it's not like this is a big problem (does anyone look up where X or Y is after, dunno, two weeks spent using a pad?)

1. As stated before, touchpad means mouse support.
2. You can also make a custom profile, mapping DPAD and all face button to Enter key (which is standard VN for 'proceed') - meaning you can easily hold the controller with one hand, scrolling the text and fap with the other hand.

Mmh... Interesting indeed. As for the last part, I think I'd still use controller companion. Mouse support is better with stick imo rather than touchpad.
But I could see myself getting a DS4 and mod in Elite thumbsticks bought on ebay.

It's absolutely oozing with the western sci-fi theme. The music, the functional yet creative design of the space ships, the space stations littered everywhere, and the exchanges you have with NPCs all contribute to a feeling of being in this dirty, dangerous and yet somehow fun version of the future.

Essentially, it feels like Firefly or something like this album in video game form:

4tEnebX.jpg

The two main critiques I've seen are:
  1. The movement is on a 2D plane, meaning you can't go up or down.
  2. The gameplay gets stale after awhile.
On (1), I actually think this works to the game's benefit. The ships you'll fly are built to feel like naval vessels and the lack of 3D movement is essential to this feeling. I also feel like it would add complexity to the game without adding anything of value, bringing down the overall experience.

I feel like (2) is accurate, but it really depends on what and how much you intend to get out of the game. I played it for 20 hours over a week or two without hitting that wall. I still occasionally fire it up when I get the urge to breach a blockade with some smuggled goods.

It's pretty fun. It's basically Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 naval ship combat but in space. The graphics are good enough and the game's got a good loop of stuff to do.

I'm enjoying it enough on PS4 through PS+ that I may pick it up on PC.

Thanks guys I think I will get it. Steamworld Heist looks hella dope too tho.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you're not gonna use it, I'd like to pass it to a friend and they can buy the starter upgrade DLC to get the full game and we can play co-op.

I already used it, thinking it'd unlock Zombies. But it didn't. I didn't know the free weekend was literally just the starter kit. :/

It's good but it's not an srpg. It's a good, slightly more action oriented take on the RTw/P battle system. Has cool ideas that encourage mobility, flanking and ability combos.

It also amusingly has better AI customization than some of the more big budget entries in the genre as of late. Not perfect, but more than I expected.

thanks! you do mean rome total war?

Dr Dogg

If ModBot as a mod, it'd be able to send unlimited PMs and the queue would clear instantly. But it's not a Mod, it's just a bot. So one PM per 45 seconds. I guess I'd need 125 ModBot accounts to clear it in one heartbeat then or whatever. We'd run out of robot avatars long before then.

It being slow actually works to peoples' advantage BTW, because there's a 15 minute delay between wins so the more the delay, the more likely you'll be able to win two in one go!

The real question here is how many unique robot avatars can m0dus crank out per minute.

Anyone has feedback of Rebel Galaxy? Thinking about getting it during the sale.

It's really fun, but super shallow and repetitive. It's actually my favourite space action game...

Chances are, if you think it looks interesting it's the kind of game for you. Personally, I'd recommend it.

It's really fun, but super shallow and repetitive. It's actually my favourite space action game...

Chances are, if you think it looks interesting it's the kind of game for you. Personally, I'd recommend it.

Yeah I got the same feeling. I'm ok if its a little bit repetititve I tend to like this games.

Do people get added to your friend-list automatically, if you send them gifts through Steam?
Not that I mind, but I was just surprised to see people on my list that I didn't recognize, after the raffle was over.

8 hours per charge isn't a lot, though.
I'm currently 20 hours into Danganronpa using my Steam controller, and before that I spent at least another 6 hours playing Cally's Caves with the same controller. Which leaves it at half capacity, according to BPM, and last I swapping batteries late August.

Just noticed I got this today:
NiigClJ.png

I'm sure we have lots of people there since 2003, but it was still nice to see.

Hah! Then we had our 10th Steam birthday one day apart. Congratulations. :)

Knurek

Ucchedav&#257;da;218749406 said:
8 hours per charge isn't a lot, though.
I'm currently 20 hours into Danganronpa using my Steam controller, and before that I spent at least another 6 hours playing Cally's Caves with the same controller. Which leaves it at half capacity, according to BPM, and last I swapping batteries late August.

It's enough for my uses though - given I don't play more than 2-3 hours per day, and not everything I play is better with a gamepad, I usually have to charge the pad once per week.
Sure, WiiU or Steam controller battery life on a DS4 would be amazing. But what is there isn't bad.

I'm playing through Bioshock Remastered, and it made me remember how tedious these hacking minigames are. Developers in general grew a sick obsession for them during last gen.

Ucchedav&#257;da;218749406 said:
Do people get added to your friend-list automatically, if you send them gifts through Steam?
Not that I mind, but I was just surprised to see people on my list that I didn't recognize, after the raffle was over.
Yep, correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom