• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Nice :)

Also the PK reprint is for Italy only. They did a massive reprint one year ago, but for me was too expansive (10€ each volume, 4 volumes each month), but now this is cheap, onl 3.50€ each month, so yeah!

And...end of the OT.
Preview

Yaska

It's not happening often that the translation is better then the original but damn the US version is called "Duck Avenger"? How lame is that? In Austria/Germany it was called Phantomias. That's so much better, come on!

Finnish name could be translated as Magic Cape.

Axass

Hi fellow italians. I love PK, I've got all the issues, all first-prints. The problem with PK is that it peaked too early, i.e. around number 10-15, frankly after that point it gets a little derivative and way less innovative, retreading on what it had already created. Also the best writers and pencilers worked on the first few numbers, like from number 0 to number 4: those are the best issues in the whole series.

If the whole series was as great as those first few numbers, it'd be one of the best comic series ever created. Also too bad they went with that weird "ending" and then started a second series, which was average at best. Best not to talk about the third one at all.

Copons

It's not happening often that the translation is better then the original but damn the US version is called "Duck Avenger"? How lame is that? In Austria/Germany it was called Phantomias. That's so much better, come on!

Them both are actually honest translations.

"Phantomias" sounds like "Fantomas", which is one of the inspirations for the Paperinik character. As Paperinik name is based upon "Diabolik" (a famous Italian noir comic anti-hero), it seems kinda fair to base its name on Fantomas in countries where Diabolik isn't as well-known as here. (also "Paperino", which is "Donald Duck" in Italian, doesn't have any meaning in other languages... and now I'm wondering why in German there's no "Ente" or something in its name :D ).

At the same time, while "Duck Avenger" is really really cheesy, Paperinik's first story (1969) is actually called "Paperinik the evil avenger".

Someone on Reddit was in a similar situation, but he never updated the thread with Valve's response. My guess would be that since you have proof of purchase, Valve should be willing to top up your account; physical retailers generally replace lost gift cards provided one has the receipt.

Thank you for the reply. I checked back and they said (The Retailer) that they need the actual card to scan it in as a return and to make sure it hasn't been used. Not sure if it would let you return a used one though.

Kiru

Them both are actually honest translations.

"Phantomias" sounds like "Fantomas", which is one of the inspirations for the Paperinik character. As Paperinik name is based upon "Diabolik" (a famous Italian noir comic anti-hero), it seems kinda fair to base its name on Fantomas in countries where Diabolik isn't as well-known as here. (also "Paperino", which is "Donald Duck" in Italian, doesn't have any meaning in other languages... and now I'm wondering why in German there's no "Ente" or something in its name :D ).

At the same time, while "Duck Avenger" is really really cheesy, Paperinik's first story (1969) is actually called "Paperinik the evil avenger".

Read through some stuff on Wiki:
Some Donald Duck stories were published 1938 in germany in the magazine "Lustige Blätter" unter the name „Hanns der Enterich“ (translated: Hanns the Drake). In the Swiss Micky-Maus-Magazine (1937) Donald appeared unter the name „Schnatterich“ (schnatter = chatter/cackle) and in austrian kids magazine Schmetterling as „Emmerich“. But yeah shortly after that I think he was widely known as Donald Duck. Not Donald Ente. :D

Firebrand

Have I ever told you about this German Mickey Mouse comic where he investigates the supernatural?
Is Mickey Mouse a detective in the American comics btw? Pretty much every MM comic I've read involves him and Goofy either investigating a crime for the police chief, or going back in time through those two scientist's time machine. :p

Got a 25% off code for GMG. Anyone recommend anything?
Arkham Asylum or Origins, if you haven't played them already.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is Mickey Mouse a detective in the American comics btw? Pretty much every MM comic I've read involves him and Goofy either investigating a crime for the police chief, or going back in time through those two scientist's time machine. :p

Arkham Asylum or Origins, if you haven't played them already.

Already played em :(

Kiru

Curiously enough, what Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck games were on PC that could be put on Steam?

I remember playing Donald Duck: Goin' Qu@ckers*!, known as Donald Duck: Qu@ck Att@ck in Europe years ago, off the top of my head.

EDIT: Beaten by the Sexy Beach enthusiast.

Yakkue

I'm trying to remember what its name is, as I forgot it and can only remember from its description :p

This?

--
I finished Steamworld Dig earlier today. Neat little game that doesn't overstay its welcome. I played for about 7 hours to get all the upgrades and finish all of the mini caves.
Pretty easy game overall, but I still managed to die through my own stupidity more often that I'd care to admit.

Now I can't decide what game to play next. It's either Child of Light, Night of the Rabbit or Unrest.

Deques

The swedish name of Paperinik is probably worst, Stål-Kalle. Which translates to Steel-Donald. Which is strange because I think steel is used because of Superman. His swedish name is Stålmannen. And PK doesn't have have super powers like Superman

Like this

cover_mm-03.jpg

But please let's stop the OT or I'll risk a ban XD

I'm sure I own the first 4 issues (at the very least... I don't remember all that well since it didn't have much of an impact on me as PKNA did). It was kinda weird how they toned down everything after the first one (IIRC).

Anyway, there was a game based on PK which was released on the GC and the PS2. Unsurprisingly it sucked.

Speaking of Disney, that reminds me that I still have to play DuckTales.

EDIT:
The swedish name of Paperinik is probably worst, Stål-Kalle. Which translates to Steel-Donald. Which is strange because I think steel is used because of Superman. His swedish name is Stålmannen. And PK doesn't have have super powers like Superman

True. PK is closer to Batman than Superman. Super-Goof on the other hand...

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I finished Steamworld Dig earlier today. Neat little game that doesn't overstay its welcome. I played for about 7 hours to get all the upgrades and finish all of the mini caves.
Pretty easy game overall, but I still managed to die through my own stupidity more often that I'd care to admit.

Now I can't decide what game to play next. It's either Child of Light, Night of the Rabbit or Unrest.

Yeah, I also ran up a high death count in that game. High enough that I decided to move on to a different game and return at a later date for a new playthrough.

abracadaver

just saw this in another profile:

perfectwipmu.jpg

I don't have an option like that. do you get it at a certain steam level or did he somehow do it himself?

Sini

just saw this in another profile:

perfectwipmu.jpg

I don't have an option like that. do you get it at a certain steam level or did he somehow do it himself?
When you get to level 10 you get a profile showcase option that also has a text box where you can write whatever you want.

Yakkue

Seems like Gamersgate pulled Warlock 2: The Exiled from the store and removed the game from the account-library. Still have it on Steam though.

@Yakkue- Night of the Rabbit gets my vote since IIRC its a short game, at least shorter than the other 2.

I think I'll go for that, I'm in the mood for a point-and-click anyway :)

Tizoc

Seems like Gamersgate pulled Warlock 2: The Exiled from the store and removed the game from the account-library. Still have it on Steam though.

I think I'll go for that, I'm in the mood for a point-and-click anyway :)

T^T if only I noticed this before going to work, would've redeemed my key asap.

Arthea

I have no clue what you guys are talking about

that makes two of us.

--

I would have liked it, and I liked sorta, I mean enough to finish it... if not random floor spikes, those took my will to play it, I thought boulders and enemies were enough of a danger for a game like this, to dig myself into spikes, two steps more spikes, tree steps dead. That was not fun at all. Well, maybe they are visible somehow while undug, but I certainly couldn't see them beforehand.

I can't help you decide as I yet to play any of those games, which I plan to do.

Yakkue

I would have liked it, and I liked sorta, I mean enough to finish it... if not random floor spikes, those took my will to play it, I thought boulders and enemies were enough of a danger for a game like this, to dig myself into spikes, two steps more spikes, tree steps dead. That was not fun at all. Well, maybe they are visible somehow while undug, but I certainly couldn't see them beforehand.

I can't help you decide as I yet to play any of those games, which I plan to do.

You can see were they are. They are always in an already hollowed out space.
spikesxef1m.png

(sorry for the crappy quality. I already uninstalled the game so I just searched for this in a youtube video)

T^T if only I noticed this before going to work, would've redeemed my key asap.
Did you save the key? It might still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom