• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished The Longest Journey. There's been plenty said about how obtuse the puzzles are, but even I was surprised at just how bad they were. The rubber ducky/clamp/key puzzle was the worst offender, but there were plenty of others that were almost as wtf. I had a walkthrough open on my other monitor the whole time, so when it came to the puzzles, I could just say, "Oh, you" and keep on playing, but back in the day, I would've been tearing my hair out.

The story was ultimately a bit more pedestrian than I expected given the game's reputation. It was mired in fantasy tropes just as much as it poked fun at them, and I think the game perhaps spent a bit too much time in Arcadia in the middle stretch. The ending was also a bit too neat for my tastes, but I guess Dreamfall more than made up for that, eh?

I loved playing as April though. She's likeable from the opening moments of the game, and I grew more and more attached to her as the game went on.Given the length of the game, probably 15+ hours, I really did feel like we went on a long, long journey together. I can't wait to see what they did with her character in Dreamfall - hopefully she's been treated well.

Good little review.

I'm curious to see how you like Dreamfall and (eventually) Dreamfall Chapters. I've only played the former, but found it to be a massive bummer after sharing a sentiment similar to what you have regarding TLJ.

Now that I think of it, playing TLJ several years ago is what got me interested in adventure games to begin with. I haven't yet played the classic adventure games, but I've found the Wadjet Eye stuff to be utterly fantastic.

In a similar vein, TLJ was my favourite adventure game before I played the Blackwell series. So consider this a stealth recommendation for everyone to play the Blackwell games. One thing to note: like TLJ, make sure you play them in order.

Anteater

that black throne level in darksiders is terrible to play under the influence of alcohol, that's too bad. Although I still managed to solve that one puzzle last night, but I didn't even know how.

Also update on the RE HD Texture project:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135967720&postcount=721

Shit is looking awesome.

102706.jpg

Turfster

Gamefly horror sale final day: Konami
  • Castlevania LoS & Mirror of Fate 50% off
  • Castlevania LoS 2 & Revelations 50% off
  • Silent Hill Homecoming 50% off
  • SAW 50% off

Copons

So cool, Deadly Premonition suddenly stopped recognizing HALF of my controller.
While the right half (both right triggers, start button, the 4 buttons and the right stick) works flawlessly, the entire left half (d-pad, left stick, select and the two left triggers) doesn't do anything.

Of course the controller works fine in any other game, and of course I've already rebooted and I've all the common workaround already in place.

I'm reinstalling it from scratch, this time also on the SSD, hoping for slightly shorter loading times too, but still, I'd pay loads of money to be able to play a properly working version of this great game
on PC
. :(

L.O.R.D

Gamefly horror sale final day: Konami
  • Castlevania LoS & Mirror of Fate 50% off
  • Castlevania LoS 2 & Revelations 50% off
  • Silent Hill Homecoming 50% off
  • SAW 50% off

wait wait wait wait
Silent Hill Homecoming is available on PC ? and on steam ?
i just knew about this now

This item is currently unavailable in your region
oh, thats why i didn't know

i put this link
http://store.steampowered.com/app/19000/?cc=us
and i can see the store page...$40 for this game ? screw that

Current Lowest Price: $14.00 at Nuuvem

Anteater

wait wait wait wait
Silent Hill Homecoming is available on PC ? and on steam ?
i just knew about this now

oh, thats why i didn't know

I think they region locked it so people like us won't be able to play and talk about their games on the internet.

I must say I agree with their decision because that would possibly lead other people into buying their games, and making money is awful.

Molemitts

I've been waiting for Shovel Knight to go on sale since its release. I know the Halloween sale is likely coming up, but I doubt it will go on sale then. Do you think I should just get it anyway?

Anteater

need for speed hot pursuit is fun, but EA seems to be on a mission to force you to watch their intro logo videos and shit because it's even integrated it as part of the main menu, you win EA.

mannerbot

I've been waiting for Shovel Knight to go on sale since its release. I know the Halloween sale is likely coming up, but I doubt it will go on sale then. Do you think I should just get it anyway?

You should just get it so it'll go on sale the day after for the rest of us. :p

Yakkue

Do you want to play it immediately?
Do you own other games already that you'd want to play now?
Would you be upset if it gets discounted next month (as there'll probably be an autumn sale around Thanksgiving)?

That said, I bought it day 1 and think it was worth it.

dani_dc

Its a week wait, and it has a few levels that could work doe a Halloween sale.
I say wait, at worst you'll buy it at full price on a week.

Molemitts

Do you want to play it immediately?
Do you own other games already that you'd want to play now?
Would you be upset if it gets discounted next month (as there'll probably be an autumn sale around Thanksgiving)?

I'd like to play and finish it before the end of the year, as it looks like it could be a contender for my GOTY list. I have a few other games to play, but I'm looking for something to dedicate myself to, as I haven't had a game like that in a while.

Its a week wait, and it has a few levels that could work doe a Halloween sale.
I say wait, at worst you'll buy it at full price on a week.

I'm thinking about doing that, but I'm on half-term this week, so I'm looking for something to play this week!

Grief.exe

that black throne level in darksiders is terrible to play under the influence of alcohol, that's too bad. Although I still managed to solve that one puzzle last night, but I didn't even know how.

Also update on the RE HD Texture project:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135967720&postcount=721

Shit is looking awesome.

102706.jpg

This one is the most impressive to me, but it also highlights the interesting changes made in the recent PC release of RE4.

Either the textures looked strangely out of place, or had nothing done to them at all.

I still thoroughly enjoyed running through one of the best games of all time at 60 FPS, mouse controls, and very high resolutions, but the overall visual style was very inconsistent.

I've been wanting to jump on Shovel Knight since release as well, but I'm so backlogged I kept pushing it back for a sale.

Silent Hill Homecoming is mine the second it goes under 5 bucks.

Been so hangover today that I couldn't get out of be without puking and now clock is eight. Goddammit

Haunted

Finished The Longest Journey. There's been plenty said about how obtuse the puzzles are, but even I was surprised at just how bad they were. The rubber ducky/clamp/key puzzle was the worst offender, and there are plenty of others that are almost as wtf. I had a walkthrough open on my other monitor the whole time, so when it came to the puzzles, I could just say, "Oh, you" and keep on playing, but back in the day, I would've been tearing my hair out.

The story was ultimately a bit more pedestrian than I expected given the game's reputation. It was mired in fantasy tropes just as much as it poked fun at them, and I think the game perhaps spent a bit too much time in Arcadia in the middle stretch. The ending was also a bit too neat for my tastes; then again, I guess Dreamfall more than made up for that, eh?

I loved playing as April though. She's likeable from the opening moments of the game, and I grew more and more attached to her as the game went on.Given the length of the game, probably 15+ hours, I really did feel like we went on a long, long journey together. I can't wait to see what they did with her character in Dreamfall - hopefully she's been treated well.
The duck puzzle is one of the most infamous adventure game puzzles at this point, right up there with Gabriel Knight 3's cat hair superglue puzzle.

And yeah, April is a really great character, and while the story and plot itself aren't super special, it's all carried by the excellent writing. That also holds true for the sequel(s).

As to April's treatment in Dreamfall and beyond... oh boy, you have no idea.

Tellaerin

I mean employees. Well, I learned a new thing, didn't know there was a difference.

"-er" is one who acts on something; "-ee" is the object of the action. So an employer employs people, while an employee is someone who's employed by another person or company.

Stop tempting me >_<

Not having the cash for a WiiU renders me immune to temptation. I will live vicariously through you, my SteamBros. Those of you who pick it up, enjoy it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom