• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG

Banned
So I'm running ARMA 3 at a stable framerate for the whole first act of the campaign, and then suddenly I get to Altis and it tanks. What the hell? It's fine in MP though. I have a feeling that it was all the stuff happening in the mission, but I'm not positive.

Also, I met some pretty nice people playing DayZ tonight. We outran some snipers, got separated by a server restart, outran the snipers again, and then sneaked around trying to find them and exact revenge. Never found them though.

Grief.exe

You must not like movies bro

;)

in5yMzuNm3q7I.jpg

the
Thank you. I feel like playing it again with GTAV on the way. And getting Xinput controllers to work accurately is easy? Or a pain?

I have a Wii U pro controller that does direct input if needed.

I just used M/KB for the game, it turned GTA into a third person shooter, as opposed to lock on.

There is an xinput mod available, but I don't believe it works with the modded exe, and Dinput does work.

Anteater

I still sometimes read it as zyklon in my mind, but I added zkylon to my browser's dictionary a long time ago so I know that I'm spelling it right. By this point, it's hard to misspell unless I actively do it, just like with Seahorse :p

I actually used google once when I was mentioning zkylon to make sure I was getting it right and google told me it's zyklon

It's not my fault™

Yakkue

I forgot one of my favorite games of the stream, Splinter Cell Blacklist, that shit isfucking awesome. Fuck all you haters :(

also, I have a question about nvidia, they sometimes give away games with cards and shit correct? is that a "insert card code here for game" type thing or if the card doesnt mention anything im shit out of luck?

You also forgot Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Enslaved and The Forest :)

zkylon

zkylewd
I still sometimes read it as zyklon in my mind, but I added zkylon to my browser's dictionary a long time ago so I know that I'm spelling it right. By this point, it's hard to misspell unless I actively do it, just like with Seahorse :p
love ya

I actually used google once when I was mentioning zkylon to make sure I was getting it right and google told me it's zyklon

It's not my fault™
well it's not a word :/

Haunted

So I've had Hand of Fate in my family sharing library for a while, the screenshots looked ok so I downloaded it but never actually took the time to play it.

What a mistake. This game is actually pretty great. Early Access, full controller support, but also easily playable with kb/m. Presentation is nice, but can still be a bit rough around the edges (Unity Engine, so it hugely benefits from anti-aliasing which is included with the two highest graphical settings), but the core gameplay and presentation they've got going here is a really interesting mix of very different things.

Where to begin:

Thematically, it's an abstract fantasy game played on a virtual game table, against a hooded figure that acts as the dungeon master - you've got your inventory and equipment - weapons, shields, armour, rings and artifacts, but they're all represented by cards. Structurally, the game is close to turn-based roguelikes like FTL. On the game table, your little pawn is advancing on a chain of laid-out cards to reach the next floor (of cards) while having several different encounters - from enemy ambushes to friendly shops, to simply selecting story decisions and getting rewards/punishment. All represented within this card game that you're playing against the dungeon master/card dealer.

All the equipment, the encounters and the enemies are governed by cards... which you actually have to deck-build before starting your run (with restrictions that fit thematically to the main boss of the dungeon in question. i.e. the "rat boss" forced me to include several ratmen encounter cards, poison weapons and the like). In that sense, you get some sense of control over what's possible in your next run, moreso than in completely random roguelikes like FTL - pretty genius.

And if all that that wasn't interesting enough on its own, the game shifts gears once more in each combat encounter. The cards and the table with the dungeon master vanishes and the game load into a fully modelled 3D playing field, where you defeat your enemies in real-time encounters using... the combat from the Arkham series? It uses the familiar timing, combo and counter-based mechanics of the Arkham series.

Whew.

Deckbuilding before a run.

Making decisions at the game table.

Real-time combat encounters.

Overall, it's a really intriguing mixture of inspirations. I would absolutely recommend it if any of the above sounds interesting to you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the "real time combat" is awfully simplistic tho, unless something changed since last time I played it. Still, like you said, the idea is awesome and I hope it gets polished and improved for a full release

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
BD and Gungslinger run fairly well from what I've read. It's like iffy performance is a cool treat only included with their full priced games. Except Blacklist, IIRC.

Doogie was saying that Black Flag ran like shit some days ago when he joked Unity would need SLIed 980s to play

Haunted

the "real time combat" is awfully simplistic tho, unless something changed since last time I played it. Still, like you said, the idea is awesome and I hope it gets polished and improved for a full release
To counteract the simplicity (it's indeed just attack, counter, block, special), the encounters are usually pretty short, though. I only played for two hours or so, but they never overstayed their welcome.

Breakables and traps in the environment also help to make it less repetitive, though I'd want more arenas in the final game, there's only a handful of environments and layouts in there as of now.

Strazyplus

When I was making my second and still current Steam account, back in 2006, all of the names that came to mind at the time were taken, so out of frustration I typed "nofuckingidea" and hit enter. I wasn't expecting it to be available.

yeah i don't think that image suits me at all

well login doesn't matter too much, display is the important one :p

:(

I still wish I could change it! :(

DocSeuss

What is it with Rage's mouse menu acceleration? There's a bit of it in Wolfenstein and The Evil Within as well.

Speaking of weird mouse problems, Payday 2 is a game I love, but I have weird jerky behavior when sniping at long ranges. It's like I can't get precise, like the mouse operates on a bunch of points on a grid rather than smooth mousiness.

Benedict

Here are the results of the Extra Life game raffle, sponsored by IsThereAnyDeal.com:

Congratulations to all of the winners and thank you all for your generous donations! Together we were able to raise $823.00 for the OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland, OR. I was having such fun choosing the winners that I didn't want to stop - so I didn't. I decided to put a few games of my own up for grabs and raffle them off among those that didn't win. So the runners up are:

Again, I'd like to thank everyone that donated - you guys are the real heroes.

EDIT: I'll be getting in touch with the winners via Steam to deliver the prizes.

Thanks for your event :)
I checked in on your stream a couple of times but my connection, where I'm at this week, made it difficult. Wish I could have seen more. What I saw was fun :).

zkylon

zkylewd
When I was making my second and still current Steam account, back in 2006, all of the names that came to mind at the time were taken, so out of frustration I typed "nofuckingidea" and hit enter. I wasn't expecting it to be available.

that was actually a good name tho

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of bluechox2, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bluechox2, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

X-3 The Reunion -- MB-36BEF42C8EC6480A - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 3 entrants total.
Huntsman The Orphanage -- MB-69EDF2F9EDA2E3DC - Taken by factorone. 3 entrants total.
Nosgoth Veteran Pack -- MB-B10C3D9C2AA743CD - Taken by Pranay_. 1 entrants total.
Evolve Alpha -- MB-E0DFE938108C3F28 - Taken by maneil99. 1 entrants total.

t1414389953z1.png

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
It is just as well that none of the names I wanted at the time were available as I would have grown bored of them weeks later and regretted the decision.

... and now you're a fridge that has no fucking idea ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom