• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

Hey STEAMGaf: which mouse did you post in this thread?

This thing:

BfM5XGI.jpg

Good for the money, but not a good mouse in general except for how goddamn comfortable it is.

Thinking about getting a new mouse with a perfect sensor soon. The CM Storm is an option if I remember right. Anyone got any suggestions for a large ergonomic mouse with a good sensor?

Turfster

Ghostbusters is a hidden weeklong, 70% off
Basically, just check the regular Specials page for all of them.
How do you fuck up something so simple? I don't get it. They're obviously tagged as weeklong, so why does your "special weeklong search" not return them?

Damn, Depth seems pretty cool. Sharks absolutely rip you to shreds and they can burst through walls. Shoot too long in one place and you'll kick up dust making it hard to see. Pretty terrifying!

Ghostbusters is a hidden weeklong, 70% off
Basically, just check the regular Specials page for all of them.
How do you fuck up something so simple? I don't get it. They're obviously tagged as weeklong, so why does your "special weeklong search" not return them?

search is hard man.

FloatOn

I dont mean to derail the steam talk but I need somewhere to vent and I figured this would be good to do it because people at least semi-know me here. Im sorry and please dont ban me mods

same kind of thing happened to me the first time I went to college. I realized though that I wasn't emotionally and professionally mature enough to handle it.

I took a long hiatus and just started working. After rising in the ranks at my company I found the confidence to go back to school and now I'm doing very well.

I'm not sure if this helps but maybe school just isn't right for you at this time in your life. I hope you find peace with whatever resolution you decide. Most of all, don't do anything crazy, there is always hope and people out there that can help.

I soured a bit on this game later (hard clear conditions to advance + punishing difficulty + long turns). But this is still such a cool, unique wargame that I'd still tell most anyone interested in wargaming to give it a shot. On a basic level it takes high-level strategic wargaming and boils it down to the bare essentials, with a heavy focus (perhaps too heavy at times) on supply lines, and with an incredibly awesome UI that makes managing all your different divisions a joy. Tis a cool game, and not often on sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I dont mean to derail the steam talk but I need somewhere to vent and I figured this would be good to do it because people at least semi-know me here. Im sorry and please dont ban me mods

I'm not sure if you've specifically said so, but I assume you're in the US. Every country is different about college/university and the role it plays on the social structure so here is my advice to anyone in college in the US:

As someone who graduated from college with a worthless degree, my advice (even to my own children) is to take up a trade in something you're interested in. Secondly, take up something that you're so passionate about that it's worth overcoming all of the obstacles in your way. It sounds like you're not totally convinced that a degree in sociology is going to get you where you want to go - I've been there before. I graduated with a degree in astronomy / astrophysics before I learned the harsh reality that that degree (by itself) is pretty worthless unless you take it to the next level.

There is certainly nothing wrong with community college. They tend to have a lot better atmosphere for people that are shy or antisocial because of the smaller class sizes and smaller student body. "Computers" is a pretty broad topic of which there are many specialized fields you can enter, a lot of them have entry-level positions that don't require a degree at all. Usually when you find your niche in computers it's best to focus on certifications that will make you stand out to potential employers and let them know that you know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you and knowing your situation a little better I hope the mods take mercy on you and change the thread title.

MattyG

Banned
This is pretty much exactly what's going on with me right now. I'm doing fine in classes, but I only go because I have to. I have no friends at school, and I don't even really know what I want to do after. I'm just going because I got a decent scholarship and wouldn't know what else to do with myself. I feel like the next 4 years is going to be a miserable, lonely slog with no real goal in mind. It fucking sucks.

41O17f0BfDL._SY355_.jpg

The king, although I'm thinking of getting either a wireless Sensei or Razer Ouroboros soon.

Still using my G5 too for 6+ years, still working great. The wire on mine right where it connects to the mouse is all scrunched and twisted up due to the wire sleeve though. Leaving it alone but if it fails someday, it probably be because of that.

MadGear

I don't think so. I can only speak for my self though.

This is the best mouse I've ever had my hands on:

Mionix Naos 7000

Yeah, most comfortable mouse I've ever tried by far. However for some reason i had issues grabbing that mouse tight enough to not occasionally drop it when playing csgo (low sens, need to lift it quite often).
The Avior 7000 is also really well build, however not nearly as comfy and the opposing thumb buttons can get annoying. I'm currently waiting for the Mionix Castor, because that one seems like the perfect blend between the Avior and Naos which could be the ideal mouse for me. Sadly no release date and specifications on that one yet.

I'm not sure if you've specifically said so, but I assume you're in the US. Every country is different about college/university and the role it plays on the social structure so here is my advice to anyone in college in the US:

As someone who graduated from college with a worthless degree, my advice (even to my own children) is to take up a trade in something you're interested in. Secondly, take up something that you're so passionate about that it's worth overcoming all of the obstacles in your way. It sounds like you're not totally convinced that a degree in sociology is going to get you where you want to go - I've been there before. I graduated with a degree in astronomy / astrophysics before I learned the harsh reality that that degree (by itself) is pretty worthless unless you take it to the next level.

There is certainly nothing wrong with community college. They tend to have a lot better atmosphere for people that are shy or antisocial because of the smaller class sizes and smaller student body. "Computers" is a pretty broad topic of which there are many specialized fields you can enter, a lot of them without a degree at all. Usually when you find your niche in computers it's best to focus on certifications that will make you stand out to potential employers and let them know that you know what you're talking about.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you and knowing your situation a little better I hope the mods take mercy on you and change the thread title.

Honestly I really dont mind the thread title and my tag haha. Thank you for this. I've been on computers since I was a babby so I think it'd be cool to do something with them. Its just I dont know exactly what? I do need to get back into writing though.

SteamGAF is turning into DepressingGAF.

Sorry :(

Lomax

Injustice finally drops below $5.

$3.9 with 22% off code: X22OFF-DEALZO-NGMGUS

Base price drops on steam as well, to $19.99.

Nice, been waiting for it to hit this price point, good use for some of my remaining GMG credit.

So when I said I wanted to drop out of school to play fallout, I was only joking about the fallout part. This is my first semester here since Im a transfer student and I just realized school isn't making me happy. I know its not supposed to make me happy but it's hard for me to go through it. Im not doing great in classes and dont really have friends up here. It's really hard for me to socialize with new people, especially with people I dont really see bits of myself in. Im not really the social type period which is why im always on gaf. Im currently studying sociology and I feel like that's not going to take me anywhere. It doesnt help that Im clinically depressed and its hard for me to see the good in anything. I do want to be a social worker but that requires grad school and well I cant even make it out of undergrad. I was so hyped when I got in because I really didnt expect to get in and just applied on a whim. Now its down the shitter. I was just on the phone with my girlfriend, bawling my eyes out because I dont know what to do. I think I want to do something with computers but want to go back to cc to do so. I think I realized a college environment just really isnt for me. Im just so lost. I'd feel like such a failure if I did drop out. Im the only one of my friend group to make it to college and they all want to see my finish. I saw all of them a couple weeks back and they were genuinely happy for me I dont want to let them down nor my parents but just being in this environment is really triggering to my depression. I sound like a fucking quitter but I cant do it

Inb4 git gud.

sorry again. please feel free to skip this post of bitching and continue the steam talk

Don't feel like a failure, college isn't for everyone, just try to refocus and move towards a goal that seems like what you really want to do.

All that said, video game addiction is very real, especially if you are depressed, so take it seriously and don't just hide from the world in a game, be it Fallout or anything else. If you think you are playing addictively or self destructively, don't be afraid to ask for some help. You can even go to AA meetings or the like.

FloatOn

Is that Ghostbusters game any good? I remember it not being really well received back in the day but I love ghostbusters.

I beat it on 360 a few years ago. I enjoyed it for what it was.

It didn't exactly scream AAA but it added a nice twist on the standard third person shooter thing.

Milamber

Is that Ghostbusters game any good? I remember it not being really well received back in the day but I love ghostbusters.

It's a fun experience. If you were a fan of the movies, playing the game gives you a lot of giddy fanservice. Also it's the closest you will ever experience bustin' ghosts and wrangling them to your traps.

Knurek

It's a fun experience. If you were a fan of the movies, playing the game gives you a lot of fanservice. Also it's the closest you will ever experience bustin' ghosts and wrangling them to your traps.

Objection!
Luigi Mansion and Kagero series exist!

zkylon

zkylewd

So when I said I wanted to drop out of school to play fallout, I was only joking about the fallout part. This is my first semester here since Im a transfer student and I just realized school isn't making me happy. I know its not supposed to make me happy but it's hard for me to go through it. Im not doing great in classes and dont really have friends up here. It's really hard for me to socialize with new people, especially with people I dont really see bits of myself in. Im not really the social type period which is why im always on gaf. Im currently studying sociology and I feel like that's not going to take me anywhere. It doesnt help that Im clinically depressed and its hard for me to see the good in anything. I do want to be a social worker but that requires grad school and well I cant even make it out of undergrad. I was so hyped when I got in because I really didnt expect to get in and just applied on a whim. Now its down the shitter. I was just on the phone with my girlfriend, bawling my eyes out because I dont know what to do. I think I want to do something with computers but want to go back to cc to do so. I think I realized a college environment just really isnt for me. Im just so lost. I'd feel like such a failure if I did drop out. Im the only one of my friend group to make it to college and they all want to see my finish. I saw all of them a couple weeks back and they were genuinely happy for me I dont want to let them down nor my parents but just being in this environment is really triggering to my depression. I sound like a fucking quitter but I cant do it

Inb4 git gud.

sorry again. please feel free to skip this post of bitching and continue the steam talk
you shouldn't feel like a failure for having some trouble choosing what you want to do in life or not doing great in school or whatever. having doubts and making career mistakes is as normal as shit gets. most people go through that, whether they say it or not. believe me you're not alone, i wonder shit like that almost every day.

try not being so hard on yourself (easier said than done i know). some people just take longer to find what makes them happy. big deal. think hard but know that it's ok to make mistakes. everyone's different. rely on your girlfriend and your friends and your family, give em a lil more credit, they won't be "disappointed in you" just cos you have doubts or want to change careers or worse. don't be silly. talk to them!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm now reading through the Fables comics and they're amazing btw.

Same here, amazing comic series so far though I'm only on #16 so far but am definitely loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom