• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only problem with that is who is going to be reading/listening what you've said and are they that clueless to believe it? So let's take Bloodbourne as an example where the comment was made to Playstationlifestyle. Do we think their readership is going to say 'wow I really appreciate that the game will be 30fps because that's what someone else is telling me is best for action games contrary to years upon years of arcade games proving otherwise'? Sure there might be a few that blindly will follow that but the people I know who are actually bothered by framerate, resolution and effects understand the concepts and all this is doing is pissing in their cereal. Folks I know who are clueless to what higher framerates, greater resolution or sharper IQ entail in performance terms and the tradeoffs really couldn't give a monkeys about that as they just want to play good games.

So who are the devs taking to? Are they trying to convince enthusiasts that their vision is right even thought they have lower targets in mind? Are they talking to the peeps who are more intresting in gameplay and really don't care about framerate anyway? You know what as much as I bang on about technical details and what not if a game intrests me enough I'll play it regards of it's limitations but I don't really want to be told what's best for my enjoyment and be patronised about the effects of greater and higher resolution and framerate. If you want a pretty and shiny game and you can't sacrifice your vision so have to have a specific resolution and framerate just bloody say so insteady of these wishy washy claims that no one can tell the difference or it's about the quality of the pixels or n framerate is better because reasons.

The way I see it is people that aren't educated enough or at all in the matter are recipient to those claims. Back last gen or at the very start of this gen almost nobody gave a rat's ass to fps or resolution outside of video game boards, now 60fps or 1080p are the new buzzwords that are being advertised in conferences or in ads (I think 60fps or 1080p was advertised in a Forza ad, can't remember which one).

It's the bit wars all over again.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Claire is on Humble Bundle. Re-Posting my previous thoughts on the game and my Steam review:

7a9e2e2a14fef95645707972dbb3cc5340fc2870.jpg

Claire is a 2D psychological survival-horror game that pulls a lot of inspiration from Silent Hill, Clock Tower, and a few other horror games of the early 2000s. I had been following the title since mid-2013, and finally gave it a play after a few patches had been delivered for the game post-release (which to the developers credit, they have been very active in responding to problems the game has via patches and being active on their steam community forums and twitter). I had played about an hour of the game last February off Desura, which was very rough at the time. I wasn't quite sure what the final product was going to end up like.

Claire stars the titular character as she wakes up from a nightmare about her childhood. She is in the hospital taking care of her mother, who is sickly and bedridden. However, as she fetches coffee to keep herself awake, the hospital suddenly changes... Shifts into some form of nightmare realm. Quickly finding aid from a dog known as Anubis, they go to try and find an escape to the twisted terror they've found themselves trapped in.

In Claire, you explore labyrinth-like locations full of enemies, traps, puzzles, scares, and atmosphere as you open locked doors and trigger events that advance the story. Honestly its all rather simple. Occasionally you meet a person in the labyrinth you can help with something via a side-quest, or some choice you can make or optional puzzle you can partake in. Your actions go towards what ending you'll get at game's end, of which there are six of.

B5EE9610A936ACB85D952F32947F94D75D1063F4

The gameplay is simple, but is supported by good design, an actually helpful map (surprising as I find maps are usually useless in 2D horror games like this), fantastic atmosphere, and a number of surreal and interesting moments throughout, backed by a good lighting engine and moody sound design.

Monsters come in a few varieties, but none can be killed, simply ran from and hid from. And they can be determined buggers in hunting you down, bashing down doors you try to escape through, and can follow you into any room outside of save rooms. You either have to outrun them, outsmart them (like blocking a door), out-climb them (they can't climb things it seems), or hide in a closet/similar hiding place. Though some monsters don't chase you at all. One common threat is a type of monster that won't chase you, but getting near it will drain your 'sanity'.

Sanity isn't for insane effects or anything, but survival in Claire. Like Clock Tower's panic feature, basically. The more loss of 'calm' and scared you become, the more you'll start taking damage, until you're panicking and taking damage for simply panicking. A big part of the game, especially later in, is managing your health and sanity and playing wisely. This is helped by the fact that like Resident Evil, the stages are large with multiple paths, allowing you to make strategic paths through the facility once you've come more familiar with its layout.

29DDDABAA572880AE60A8F2EE20F2A9EDBF3C3E0

Normally I build-up to my impressions of a review by talking about the elements, but to explain Claire I need to work backwards... I loved it. It's going up there as what I would list as the best 2D horror games out there, along with the likes of Lone Survivor, Clock Tower, Yume Nikki, Last Door, Ib, Witch's House, etc. Claire succeeds in making an unnerving atmosphere that actually managed to spook me on a few occasions, interesting moments in both gameplay, design, and narrative, and wrapping it all together into an enjoyable horror game package.

And its with this severe love I have for the game I must mention that the game still has some problems. The developers are responding to them and still patching the game, but I need to make note of this as the time I played it (version 1.145) that I ran into a number of issues. I played the game kind of stupidly on Nightmare difficulty (the hardest difficulty) on my first playthrough of the game, and as a mention I would not suggest playing on this difficulty unless you really want a challenge and have some patience. But maybe because of this I experienced more problems, as most of what I had problems with was the sanity system, which was very unforgiving and has weird problems like certain cutscene spots draining my sanity so fast I would die during cutscenes and would actively have to heal myself to keep myself alive to read the dialogue in cutscenes. And then some minor things, like how I found the flashlight not really useful most of the time and just defaulted to the lighter, or a few areas later in the game feeling a bit too much like trial-and-error in parts.

I'm sure most of my problems will be addressed with future patches again, and don't think this game is worth passing up on for this.

0D5A5E7FD2BC65E2AF27157D8DAACD27A7A859A2

Claire feels a bit similar to some other kinds of horror games, with the easiest comparison to make being Lone Survivor (they share a bit more in common than just being 2D games with some Silent Hill influence, though let it be known if you liked Lone Survivor, you will most likely enjoy this). However, it also manages to create its own feel and tale of horror, and the developments in both gameplay and story for the most part feel satisfying.

It's a bit slow, there are a few places where navigating and where you're supposed to go can be a bit confusing. However, the levels have a fun exploration element and will usually reward you for taking time off the beaten path, with a variety of side-quest, goodies, hidden scenes and scares, and more.

Speaking of which, the game manages to pack some good scares and "WTF" moments through its course. I found myself a bit more comfortable and less on-edge after the first area, but the game managed to put me on edge and make me feel uneasy through the beginning first hour or two, and had its moments throughout its course. Of note, some of my favorite scares are indeed off the beaten path.

57C4D23F5D181E4CC176F6B22D3FF23AA822B292

I might be a bit gushy, but that's because Claire surpassed my expectations and has stood better than most of the other recent horror game releases on Steam I have played. It's a quality horror title for lovers of old-school styled horror with a bit of something new, or those who have come to enjoy 2D horror games like Lone Survivor or Clock Tower. It's rough around the edges, but has the heart, good execution, and cleverness to pull off what it strives to be, and excel at it, despite the few flaws it has.

A bit slow, sometimes confusing, and I would not recommend going through it blind on Nightmare difficulty like I did, but a fantastic horror game that brings a lot in from the Silent Hill and Clock Tower class of horror, while also being its own thing that will be worth it for any genre enthusiast. But maybe wait to play through it once some of the bugs are ironed out.

To clarify something, the glitch with Nightmare health running out during cutscenes has been fixed, along with several other issues, since I wrote that review.

So far been my Indie Horror Game of the year, along with Silence of the Sleep.

Khronico

Well, my laptop got back from repairs. Apparently the motherboard, power board, and hard drive died and had to be replaced (2 month old laptop!). Good thing is it was under warranty so repairs were free. Now back into the SteamGAF community! Woohoo!

cHinzo

I thought they said R6 was MP only?

Thought they were at least gonna put a singleplayer mode in it, even though it wasn't that high on their priority list, since multiplayer comes first. The R6 games which I've played (1, 3, and Vegas 1 & 2) never had any outstanding singleplayer modes, but it was fun to get through it in co-op in Vegas 1 and 2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmm just went though all the games I have downloaded / installed and you guys were right, most games DO seem to support SLI officially (as in with a nvidia profile), its weird how some niche games support it (vanishing of ethan carter or shadow warrior for example) and some big profile games dont (mordor, dead rising 3), at least officially

These PR people need to stop with "it's for the best" crap.

I saw that Bloodbourne thread and did debate posting in there but nah it's already a little dicey. What makes me wonder is what in earth is happening with some developers and PR depts recent? I don't buy their reasonings and justifications and the outlets they are conducting the interviews with aren't likely to be read by joe blogs who has only a passing intrest in games media but someone who craves every last prereleased, hyped up detail. They are more than likely going to be the ones who also flip the proverbial table when said title isn't to their lofty standards. Software isn't CPU or GPU limited unless you make it that way so if you want a nice shiny looking game over one with a higher resolution, framerate or even cleaner IQ with decent AA then just bloody say so instead of the drivel that comes out. The people who would buy that ordinaly don't obsessivly follow the places you're giving these interviews to.

Abandon Thread!

Kentucky Breakfast Stout

I still need to track this down. I've heard fantastic things.

iosefe

Well, my laptop got back from repairs. Apparently the motherboard, power board, and hard drive died and had to be replaced (2 month old laptop!). Good thing is it was under warranty so repairs were free. Now back into the SteamGAF community! Woohoo!

welcome home!

Dr Dogg

The way I see it is people that aren't educated enough or at all in the matter are recipient to those claims. Back last gen or at the very start of this gen almost nobody gave a rat's ass to fps or resolution outside of video game boards, now 60fps or 1080p are the new buzzwords that are being advertised in conferences or in ads (I think 60fps or 1080p was advertised in a Forza ad, can't remember which one).

It's the bit wars all over again.

An the days of Blast Processing vs Mode 7. Funnily about that time was when I caught the Wolf and Doom bug and bought a PC with about umpteen years of paper round money.

I can never remember having that many spats with Amstrad or C64 owners despite my Speccy being the less potent of the three. Wasn't until the MegaDrive/SNES days that video games became serious business.

hmm just went though all the games I have downloaded / installed and you guys were right, most games DO seem to support SLI officially (as in with a nvidia profile), its weird how some niche games support it (vanishing of ethan carter or shadow warrior for example) and some big profile games dont (mordor, dead rising 3), at least officially

Where do you find/see the SLI profiles? I'm totally new to it since I got my SLI 970s and I haven't really seen most of my games have any noticeable preformance at all. Borderlands Pre-Sequel runs at like 110fps usually but hard drops to sub 60 sometimes. It's really a drag. I enabled SLI in the Nvidia control panel but I hear everyone talk about SLI profiles, but I've never come across any tabs in the Control Panel or anything in games to see if they are installed, or maybe it's something that I have to download?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Where do you find/see the SLI profiles? I'm totally new to it since I got my SLI 970s and I haven't really seen most of my games have any noticeable preformance at all. Borderlands Pre-Sequel runs at like 110fps usually but hard drops to sub 60 sometimes. It's really a drag. I enabled SLI in the Nvidia control panel but I hear everyone talk about SLI profiles, but I've never come across any tabs in the Control Panel or anything in games to see if they are installed, or maybe it's something that I have to download?

nvidida control panel -> manage 3d settings -> drop down bar with all your installed games. choose one, scroll down to SLI, if its a black NVIDIA RECOMENDED, thats a official profile :)

thats also where you force it if its not official.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wonder if gamersgate has seen any decline in business since gamergate

As been said, if anything it probably helped business. No press is bad press and all that, and it helps the site legitimately has nothing to do with the issue, so there's no morale ground to lose here, just people to discover the site unintentionally.

GamersGate did post this on Facebook a week back, though:

Announcement: GAMERSGATE.COM is NOT Gamergate!

As many of you are aware of, recently there has been a fierce and infected discussion about sexism as well as journalistic ethics in the gaming industry. We’ve received threats and harsh words from around the world and want to make it clear for everyone that Gamersgate.com is not part of this controversy whatsoever.

Next year Gamersgate.com celebrate our 10th anniversary and since start we have been selling games for download. We are one of the original download platforms and we do our best to support gamers so that they can buy and download games to good prices. Anytime, anywhere.

Theodore Bergqvist. CEO – Gamersgate.com

Please help us share this post.

gngf123

Dani, where is your avatar from? Looks kind of like one of the girls from Nisekoi but I haven't read it for ages.

As been said, if anything it probably helped business. No press is bad press and all that, and it helps the site legitimately has nothing to do with the issue, so there's no morale ground to lose here, just people to discover the site unintentionally.

GamersGate did post this on Facebook a week back, though:

Ha, I had wondered if they had actually commented.

I wonder how many people genuinely got confused, and what sort of threats they have been sending.

dani_dc

Dani, where is your avatar from? Looks kind of like one of the girls from Nisekoi but I haven't read it for ages.

As Chariot said, it is indeed the best Onodera from Nisekoi, Haru Onodera.
She is easily top 2 alongside Marika though. I have no idea why Chariot would get that wrong.

Dr Dogg

Here's the even more bonkers thing about Bloodbourne, I've played a fair few FROM Soft games and no way would I ever expect it to be consistent let alone a smooth and stable update at 30fps. Just look at Kings Field, it's slow paced for a reason.

Sega don't have a parody account do they?

Shadownet

Banned
I can stop posting altogether if you have a problem with that ...

That's not what we're trying to say. I like seeing copons avatar as much as the next guy but seeing it being quoted so much just take the humor out of it.

Moderation is the key.

Edit: Just played 2 chapters of Killer is Dead... what the heck is going on in this story? So far it's a bunch of one liners and a whole bunch of killing.. I can't say I'm digging the art style either.

dani_dc

Hell yeah.

Hopefully it does well enough so they bring VC3.

They can skip 2 for all I care.
I had her first on second, but I can't do that to Ruri.
Btw. I have to say it yet again, you have excellent taste.

I keep forgetting about Ruri, mostly because she's not part of the harem. Be it as it may, I can now understand your opinion and respect it. You clearly are a person of excellent taste as well.

Chariot

Hell yeah.

Hopefully it does well enough so they bring VC3.

They can skip 2 for all I care.
I liked VC2. Granted, since I only had a PSP, it was the only VC that I played, but I enjoyed it very much. Bounding with young, teenage girls was nice. As friends. Anf of course the battlesystem that was great fun.

nice, I only played the demo of the ps3 version and it was solid. if its a good port I'll buy it, otherwise no thanks.
1 game that I really want on steam though is that rpg with the guns, i think its called renaissance of fate or some shit like that. that game looks really dope.

Rhaknar

Day 1 for Valk, it's amazing and I never finished on PS3

dani_dc

I liked VC2. Granted, since I only had a PSP, it was the only VC that I played, but I enjoyed it very much. Bounding with young, teenage girls was nice. As friends.

I went to VC2 from VC1 so to me it felt like a big drop in quality, people like to talk about the story but that's something I could ignore. The smaller maps (with loadings) completely change the dynamic of the game, certain classes become too overpowered because of this, and it also broke up the pacing of the maps.
Also filler content, you were constantly replaying maps in VC2, and you had to do a bunch of filler-missions to advance on the main story and unlock new maps.

VC1 on another hand was new map after new map, I don' think there's a single obligatory mission where you play the same map twice.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself was still fun, but it felt like a really harsh drop in quality, and repeating the same maps killed the game to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom