• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derp

Oh no you didn't, didamangi...

I love you man
Crying-gifs-10112013-01.gif

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I can't tell if this is a controversial thing to say but
Sam&Max Hit the Road is by far the best Adventure game of all time.
Better than Atlantis, better than MI 1,2&3 even better than Day of the Tentacle.
I love this game so damn much.

It's definitely way up there. I have a hard time picking between MI2, DOTT and Sam & Max to be honest, MI2 (and the Monkey Island games in general) have so many little jokes and touches that I love and is an absolute classic, DOTT has a great mechanic with the different time periods and some really great puzzles, but I love Sam and Max so much. It's really well written, great fun, the art is spectacular and it's got such a weird world. The only problem I have with any of those games is that I can't forget how to do the puzzles, they're burned into my brain and I'll never get to have that first playthrough again.

Grim Fandango is also great, although a cumbersome control scheme and (although good for the time) dated graphics sort of hold it back a little. Plus I didn't have it as a kid so I don't have that nostalgia element associated with it. I'll still be picking up the remaster though to revisit it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's definitely way up there. I have a hard time picking between MI2, DOTT and Sam & Max to be honest, MI2 (and the Monkey Island games in general) have so many little jokes and touches that I love and is an absolute classic, DOTT has a great mechanic with the different time periods and some really great puzzles, but I love Sam and Max so much. It's really well written, great fun, the art is spectacular and it's got such a weird world. The only problem I have with any of those games is that I can't forget how to do the puzzles, they're burned into my brain and I'll never get to have that first playthrough again.

Grim Fandango is also great, although a cumbersome control scheme and (although good for the time) dated graphics sort of hold it back a little. Plus I didn't have it as a kid so I don't have that nostalgia element associated with it. I'll still be picking up the remaster though to revisit it.

Sam&Max is just 100% my kind of humor. Monkey Island (and DOTT obviously) are great but Sam&Max just nails it. It's all so surreal and random before random became a bad thing.
I'm probably one of the few people who likes MI3 more than 2 (though I don't understand how people can hate MI3). Grim Fandango...yeah I always wanted to finish it but the controls always put me off. That's why I'm glad they remake it, cause it's really the only game that needs it.

derExperte

I can't tell if this is a controversial thing to say but
Sam&Max Hit the Road is by far the best Adventure game of all time.
Better than Atlantis, better than MI 1,2&3 even better than Day of the Tentacle.
I love this game so damn much.

S&M's humor was too hit and miss for me, more quirky than funny, and I don't think the puzzles reached the usual standard of LA so I rate it below all the ones you mentioned (Fate is on top). Maybe a replay will change my opinion but I always considered it to be one of their lesser adventures together with The Dig.

What's the general impression of Lifeless Planet? Yay or nay?

For how much? It was in a bundle before and I won it from some nice Gaffer and finished it.

Its... okay. The atmosphere is nice, but actually besides walking and jumping you dont really do much and the jumping passages arent really that challenging.

I'm probably one of the few people who likes MI3 more than 2 (though I don't understand how people can hate MI3).

I really enjoyed MI3. I'd say some of the problems people have though are: it didn't resolve the end of MI2 well at all, Ron Gilbert wasn't involved and some people weren't happy with Elaine and Guybrush actually getting together.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I really enjoyed MI3. I'd say some of the problems people have though are: it didn't resolve the end of MI2 well at all, Ron Gilbert wasn't involved and some people weren't happy with Elaine and Guybrush actually getting together.

I didn't mind that part at all, it's something I quite like with both MI3 and Tales of Monkey Island. Having said that, I rate it a little lower than the first two, perhaps just because it didn't have quite the same humour. It was decent, but not quite the same.

louiedog

Sam&Max is just 100% my kind of humor. Monkey Island (and DOTT obviously) are great but Sam&Max just nails it. It's all so surreal and random before random became a bad thing.
I'm probably one of the few people who likes MI3 more than 2 (though I don't understand how people can hate MI3). Grim Fandango...yeah I always wanted to finish it but the controls always put me off. That's why I'm glad they remake it, cause it's really the only game that needs it.

I know a lot of people who feel that way. It came out later and had a much more inviting art style for kids so for a lot of people I know it was the first MI or even adventure game that they played.

I know a lot of people who feel that way. It came out later and had a much more inviting art style for kids so for a lot of people I know it was the first MI or even adventure game that they played.

I played them in order and 2 is always the odd one for me as well that I enjoyed the least. If i go crazy and list things, I rank the games this way:

1. Secret of Monkey Island (I)
2. Curse (III)
3. Tales (V)
4.Escape (IV)
5. LeChuck's Revenge (II)

Copons

I played them in order and 2 is always the odd one for me as well that I enjoyed the least. If i go crazy and list things, I rank the games this way:

2. Curse (III)
3. Tales (V)
4.Escape (IV)

Wow.
I don't even.
I..
Wow.

My ranking would be 2-3-1-5-4 so you can see my disappointment :D

louiedog

2. Curse (III)
3. Tales (V)
4.Escape (IV)

I don't like telling people that their opinions are wrong, but I'll happily make an exception for anyone who puts Escape above anything. I'd challenge you to a duel but I'm out of good insults.

2. Curse (III)
3. Tales (V)
4.Escape (IV)

Two is my favourite of them. In face if you move LeChuck's Revenge to the top, that's my order ( 2, 1, 3, 5, 4)

I don't like telling people that their opinions are wrong, but I'll happily make an exception for anyone who puts Escape above anything. I'd challenge you to a duel but I'm out of good insults.

Who's up for a game of Monkey Kombat?

fantomena

Read about this Alien Norwegian price mistake. Gonna check it works first.

Edit: IT WORKS! HOLY SHIT!!! NO PRICE FIX AT CHECKOUT AS LAST TIME!!!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
1 - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (II)
2 - The Secret of Monkey Island (I)
3 - The Curse of Monkey Island (III)
4 - Tales of Monkey Island (V)

5 - Escape from Monkey Island (IV)

To be honest, Curse and Tales are about the same for me. 1 & 2 have a huge nostalgic boost to me, which is why I put them ahead. Escape isn't great though, and I have a hard time understanding putting LeChuck's Revenge below it.

derExperte

Awesome day for those of you that don't already have Alien, I pre-ordered it, ha. Oh well.

Yeah, I didn't go for the cheap AMD keys, then preordered it, then the AMD keys got the TF2 items too and now this price mistake. Bad timing all around.

Not sure if it's worth investing $8 just for the seasons pass, probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom