• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Count me in as a part of the Alan Wake lovers group, combat included. Wrote this about it a while back:

I played Alan Wake on Nightmare difficulty off the bat and had good fun with the combat. Playing on Nightmare gives combat that extra oomph that keeps you on your toes.

While finding standard ammo still isn't really a problem (which is one of my beefs with the game), enemies hit very hard and take notably less damage from both guns and flashlight, so you really need to keep aware of your surroundings and be more tactical in how you take them out. Dodging becomes absolutely crucial and in some cases the best tactic is take a couple out, duck under other enemy blows, and just haul ass to the nearest light source as your wheezing Alan Wake is being chased mercilessly. Gives it a bit of that extra survival horror flavor.

I thought it all worked together beautifully with the general ominous atmosphere the game sets so well. Every time the screen got dark and the inky shadows surrounding you started to dance and waver, you knew that it was on, and every pool of light from a car or lamppost was heaven-sent (a similar feeling in some ways to getting to a bonfire your first time through Dark Souls).

What I would have preferred in Nightmare difficulty is for ammo to be more scarce, so that it'd lean even more towards survival horror, but you still hardly feel like some superman.

I've never actually played Alan Wake below Nightmare difficulty so I don't have a concrete basis for comparison, but I imagine it's naturally just more prone to feeling repetitive when there's no real tension to the fights and you're just going through the motions.

And yes if you're going to play AW, go Nightmare or go home.

Ozium

Alan Wake is gonna be on sale tomorrow...

you heard it here first

2485156-6128498736-65447.gif

Shadownet

Banned
Hey, remember that one time you left the lobby right after I joined in Counter Strike? ;~;
What? when was this?
Yesterday. lol
Oh I probably left because of dinner or something.. I didn't even see you came in. My apology. I'm probably going to play later tonight when Junko get home from work.

how are you guys getting all these Evolve codes :O
Some sites like Polygon, IGN, Gamersgate and GMG were giving codes that you can use on the evolve alpha website, input that code and your info and you'll be enters to win an actual Steam key for the Alpha.

I entered mine like 8 hours ago and just got my code an hour ago. (Just checked my email.)

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/evolve-big-alpha
There is the link to the IGN Alpha code giveaway. Good luck.

-Deimos

There's a small chance some of these keys won't work. Redeem on Steam.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (-Deimos, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Evolve Alpha #5 -- MB-7EAE13292818FA72 - Taken by Shadownet
Evolve Alpha #4 -- MB-FB46BF74500AD63A - Taken by alr1ght
Evolve Alpha #3 -- MB-43988A84EBA67FCA - Taken by Nabs
Evolve Alpha #2 -- MB-DDE0DA3F25694186 - Taken by r3n4ud
Evolve Alpha -- MB-3CEC1DC840C7B8CE - Taken by Strazyplus

Shadownet

Banned
Shadow doesn't like us bro. Don't worry, I'm here for you. Forever. Always.
Don't be ridiculous. I love Marco. Why would I give Marco Dead Rising 3 for his birthday if I didn't love him. But now that I think about it, I should have given him a game that was better optimized. But hindsight.

Edit: I love you too Saj, you meanie butt.

Does Shadow like anyone? He gifted me Bad Rats a few days ago - pure evil
It was out of love, you'll thanks me later when you're nominating it for GOTC.

IIRC, American Nightmare has improved combat over the original, but the expansion itself is repetitive as fuck.
Yeah, I'd love to play a sequel to Alan Wake with better combat that built upon American Nightmare's improvements and also had more interesting enemies and less repetitiveness overall.

Don't be ridiculous. I love Marco. Why would I give Marco Dead Rising 3 for his birthday if I didn't love him. But now that I think about it, I should have given him a game that was better optimized. But hindsight.
Eh, to be fair we didn't know how shitty it was gonna be at the time. I'm getting a 970 in February, so we'll see if I can actually run it at 1080p then. The 720p 30fps is killing me.

wilflare

What? when was this?

Oh I probably left because of dinner or something.. I didn't even see you came in. My apology. I'm probably going to play later tonight when Junko get home from work.

Some sites like Polygon, IGN, Gamersgate and GMG were giving codes that you can use on the evolve alpha website, input that code and your info and you'll be enters to win an actual Steam key for the Alpha.

I entered mine like 8 hours ago and just got my code an hour ago. (Just checked my email.)

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/evolve-big-alpha
There is the link to the IGN Alpha code giveaway. Good luck.

oh! thought that was limited to IGN Prime members :O

hmm i've been entering but no luck though

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
dreadout, obscure 1 and obscure 2. thats all i ask for

you can stick your 33% up your ass tho valve (I know valve doesnt set the %, I dont know who publishes those games lol), real deals or GTFO

I just want Dreadout at 50% off :(

Especially because I'm pretty sure that it's region free :D

Alan Wake is gonna be on sale tomorrow...

you heard it here first

2485156-6128498736-65447.gif

But the real question is "will the franchise pack drop to $3.99 again?"

Sharkiller

looks like a bug because the first and second key I tested say Key already redeemed. Third one works. Tried to test more and steam blocked me for too many attempts :/ Going to modbot a few but I think I got other people keys by error and don't want to screw others and not all works.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sharkiller, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Evolve Big Alpha -- MB-459A0F4A8789E0F5 - Taken by Hemi-PoweredDrone. 3 entrants total.
Evolve Big Alpha #2 -- MB-6763320BC199E01B - Taken by maty. 2 entrants total.

t1414639325z1.png

Shadownet

Banned
Eh, to be fair we didn't know how shitty it was gonna be at the time. I'm getting a 970 in February, so we'll see if I can actually run it at 1080p then. The 720p 30fps is killing me.
According to some people on here even with a GTX970 you'll be having a hard time running it 1080p 60fps. But I can at least hit 1080p 30fps on mine. But it's still look unoptimized as hell.

According to some people on here even with a GTX970 you'll be having a hard time running it 1080p 60fps. But I can at least hit 1080p 30fps on mine. But it's still look unoptimized as hell.
The 30fps I can live with, it's the 720p that sucks. I can set it to 1080p, but with my 760 it dips way more than I'd like.

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan -- MB-2EEB4975FE4615B1 - Taken by Haunted

was out of love, you'll thanks me later when you're nominating it for GOTC.

That's nearly exactly what the person who gifted me Secret of the Magic Crystals said.

Then again, he was also someone who bought so many copies he's that he got a t-shirt and is going to get a horse in the sequel named for him, so maybe he really did believe in that game.

Shadownet

Banned
(Today, 09:53 PM)
(Today, 09:57 PM)
wat? time machine?
I'm a Timelord, didn't you know?
I took the code and gave it to wilflare. Sorry, Gotta watch out for my bros. I promise I'll raffle it off if I get another code.

The 30fps I can live with, it's the 720p that sucks. I can set it to 1080p, but with my 760 it dips way more than I'd like.
I'm a bit spoiled 60fps in action games man. Too good to go back to 30fps sometimes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Maybe, but I find it hard to believe you I have followed multiple guides to the letter

That's fine. I'm not going to prove myself to you when there are other reports of the guide working:

Followed the steps but the controller only works when plugged through USB. When unplugged it stays in the controller list but nothing works.

Edit: Got it to work. You do need to select "Force Install" even on Windows 7.
This is brilliant and works perfectly. Thank you so much.
Although this works like a charm, I have to say the lack of customization is a downer.

If you're using Bluetooth (I wasn't; probably should have mentioned that initially), try the Force Install option as Zombie James mentions. For some reason I was under the impression that the DS3 required Bluetooth, so I didn't bother trying to hook it up to my PC via USB until after I'd sold my X360 stuff and therefore had no other controller options. The only reason I bought an X1 controller is that, more often than not, I was hitting X instead of Square (Square being the equivalent of the X360's X) and eventually the frustration got the better of me, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom