• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Those "5 out of 5 stars" that appear simply represent Steam user reviews. 96% positive ≈ 100% Positive = 5 out of 5 stars.

Shadownet

Banned
what that even means? and why would you care about some random stars and not what we are telling?
Well... I do care.. that's why I asked which games you guys considered 10 out of 10 that are must play on Steam? Just trying to find out which ones I don't have and keep an eye on them.
Like if someone ask me which game is an absolute must play on PS3, I would most likely tell them The Last of Us or Uncharted.

Those "5 out of 5 stars" that appear simply represent Steam user reviews. 96% positive ≈ 100% Positive = 5 out of 5 stars.
Yes I realized that.. thank you.

I see. Wasn't aware of that. My rec for SR3 stands then, since it seems to have 5 stars too.
I wouldn't say Saints Row 3 is 5 out of 5 in my book but I did play it on PS3 and loved it quite a lot. Easily one of the best games I've play within the last 4 years. Imo.
Thank you. It seem like Lain and dex are the only one truly understand what I was asking for.

milena87

Well... I do care.. that's why I asked which games you guys considered 10 out of 10 that are must play on Steam? Just trying to find out which ones I don't have and keep an eye on them.

Like if someone ask me which game is an absolute must play on PS3, I would most likely tell them The Last of Us or Uncharted.

uhm... let's see.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (a must have if you're an Indy fan and/or like point & click games);
The Longest Journey (one of the best point & clicks and one of my favourite games ever);
Max Payne 1&2 (the first one is my favourite, but the second has better combat);
Deus Ex & Deus Ex Human Revolution;
The Witcher 1&2;
Dark Souls;
Saints Row The Third and Saints Row 4 (I prefer 4, because superpowers :D);
Just Cause 2 (probably the most fun I've had in a non-RPG sandbox game);
Batman AA;
Dragon Age Origins (it has some flaws, but it's a great party based RPG);
Mass Effect

There are others, to be sure, but these are just at the top of my head and are all games that I loved and can play through multiple times.

edit: I forgot Mass Effect... it's just one of my favourite games (so much so that I played it more than 12 times) and I forgot it :/

Tesseract

Banned
So GAF, what are some of the best 5 Stars, 10 out 10 games must have on Steam?

I asked because I saw Transformers Fall of Cybertron being 5 stars. I'm surprised it's that well received. (I should probably pick up a copy sometimes)

imo, off the top of my head :

teleglitch
volgarr
wazhack
tower of guns
terraria
sword of the stars: the pit
the swapper
speedrunners
super house of dead ninjas
skullgirls
king of fighters 13
ultra street fighter 4
our darker purpose
oniken
tales of maj'eyal
nosgoth
nether
natural selection 2
metro 2033
mirror's edge
might and magic x
lunar flight
la mulana
inquisitor
hotline miami
fallout new vegas
eldritch
dark souls
dark souls 2
deus ex human revolution
devil may cry 4
don't starve
depths of fear knossos
dead space
blade symphony
binary domain
alpha protocol
abyss odyssey

Shadownet

Banned
uhm... let's see.

*List of Games*

There are others, to be sure, but these are just at the top of my head and are all games that I loved and can play through multiple times.

Ah thank you for your list! I have Max Payne 1&2 but haven't play them yet. Have Witcher 1&2, playing through 2 right now. Already beat Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect and Batman AA. finished Saints Row 3 and working on 4 right now. I gotta say though I liked Mass Effect 2 more than I did 1. But 1 was amazing on its own. It's just the story for Mass Effect 2 and the characters was just more epic.

So I guess the ones I gotta keep an eye on will be Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, both Deus Ex games, Indiana Jones and The Longest Journey.

Did you really list games off the top of your head in pretty much reverse alphabetical order? That's some crazy filing system you have up there, ha.
image.php

I don't think he has anything left up there... *gulp*

The_Monk

Did you really list games off the top of your head in pretty much reverse alphabetical order? That's some crazy filing system you have up there, ha.

You find that odd? He said "off the top of my head" and... he doesn't even have a head! :p

EDIT: Lol, beaten by Shadow.

Anyway, Shadownet, to answer your question that will really, really depend on your tastes. People can post their favourites for you to keep an eye on them but they may not fit you style or genre at all, so take that in count. I'm not going to list-posting as it becomes huge walls of text with little explanation on why but I'm also posting my impressions from the games I am playing so if you see something you might be interested in, keep an open mind.

Sendou

The games are just popping out of nowhere. This one is made by two former YAGER (Spec Ops:The Line) devs.

Curious Expedition is a roguelike expedition simulation set in the late 19th century, in which you will venture on unprecedented expeditions to regions never explored before.

Features

• Explore procedurally generated worlds, each with its own distinctive set of challenges for the ambitious explorer.
  • Plan and equip your trek. A good explorer is prepared for any eventuality.
  • Manage your resources to keep your trek alive and sanity high. Balance your needs with the desire to carry all that precious treasure back home.
  • Visit and interact with the land’s natives. Enter villages, trade and communicate with local tribes and civilizations that are unknown to mankind.
  • Loot mysterious temple ruins to gain fame and treasures, but watch out for deadly traps and curses that will compromise your trek and the world around you.
  • Equip and utilize miraculous treasures to gain advantages, but be wary of unforeseeable side effects.
  • Fight and defend your trek against a wide range of wild animals, mystical creatures and even dinosaurs.

Trailer
Website

I really recommend giving the trailer a look and seeing their website. The game has a really nice feel to it. Coming out in 2014.

curiouscxx1d.png

Tesseract

Banned
You find that odd? He said "off the top of my head" and... he doesn't even have a head! :p

Anyway, Shadownet, to answer your question that will really, really depend on your tastes. People can post their favourites for you to keep an eye on them but they may not fit you style or genre at all, so take that in count. I'm not going to list-posting as it becomes huge walls of text with little explanation on why but I'm also posting my impressions from the games I am playing so if you see something you might be interested in, keep an open mind.

this is true, now i kinda regret posting that wall of suggestions

Steam has 25 years of pc gaming in it. There are probably hundreds of must play games in it.

If you are looking for something recent,then I guess Divinity: Original Sin and Wasteland 2 are a good place to start if you like RPGs.

milena87

Ah thank you for your list! I have Max Payne 1&2 but haven't play them yet. Have Witcher 1&2, playing through 2 right now. Already beat Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect and Batman AA. finished Saints Row 3 and working on 4 right now. I gotta say though I liked Mass Effect 2 more than I did 1. But 1 was amazing on its own. It's just the story for Mass Effect 2 and the characters was just more epic.

So I guess the ones I gotta keep an eye on will be Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, both Deus Ex games, Indiana Jones and The Longest Journey.

I can understand why so many prefer Mass Effect 2 to 1. But besides the good characters, it felt like a disappointment to me. The suicide mission, Lair of the Shadow Broker and some of the companions' missions were great, but overall I didn't feel the charm, mystery and epicness of the first game :)

Oh, there's also Divinity Original Sin, of course. Time will tell if I'll consider it among my favourites, but it's a great game for sure :)

Shadownet

Banned

You know I always keep an eye out for any of your post in Steam thread Monk :) normally I consider myself pretty easy when it come to games. So most of the games people suggested so far are either things in already interested in or have already played. :p heck I'm willing to try Dark Souls again. I remember not liking it after 20 mins on PS3.

The suicide mission, Lair of the Shadow Broker and some of the companions' missions were great, but overall I didn't feel the charm, mystery and epicness of the first game :)
I can understand where you're coming from but for me personally nothing will be more epic when it come to Mass Effect than
the Suicide Mission and at the end cinematic where you see hundreds Reapers coming. And you know its just the beginning. That was truly epic.

Dr Dogg

Games For Windows Live: Prepare to Die Edition. Not much left that's still has that zombie tethered to it now.

So yesterday was my birthday...

Happy B'day Gromit!

Bioware is dead to me.

This should serve you (anybody for that matter) well. Stop treating companies as homogeneous entities and realise that employees and often the ones responsible for games you like can not be involved in a certain title or move on entirely. Some of the key guys behind previous Bioware CRPG's either moved on or weren't involved in Dragon Age 2. Brent Knowles left, James Ohlen moved up and Ross Gardner went over to The Old Republic team. And those are just a few off the top of my head but had been around and involved since Baulders Gate. If folks realised how many people had left and joined CD Project Red since The Witcher 2 they might be talking about The Witcher III differently. It goes the other way too and every time a Grasshopper Manufacture game is announced it's all about Suda despite him having only a tiny part to play in the production. When games go the way of films and we have 'From the Texture artist that brought you Assassin's Creed' or 'From the Executive Non Commercial Producer of Gears of War' as selling points then games marketing will really have reached the pits of just trying to brand everything.

Shadownet

Banned
If folks realised how many people had left and joined CD Project Red since The Witcher 2 they might be talking about The Witcher III differently.
So let me guess this right. You're telling me I should be damn exicted for Witcher 3 since quite a few talented people left BioWare and joined CD Projeckt Red?

Because I don't think I can be anymore excited than I already am :D my heart won't be able to take more.

milena87

I can understand where you're coming from but for me personally nothing will be more epic when it come to Mass Effect than
the Suicide Mission and at the end cinematic where you see hundreds Reapers coming. And you know its just the beginning. That was truly epic.

Eheh, I agree it was a good moment. My favourite Mass Effect moments are
on Virmire, when we first talk to Sovereign and it has that amazing and intimidating voice; the whole mission on the planet Ilos, especially when we find Vigil and learn the fate of the Protheans and what they accomplished; and of course the final mission at the Citadel, with Sovereign trying to open the Citadel Mass Relay, while we're fighting outside trying to reach the Presidium

I could talk about how much I love Mass Effect 1 all day :p

The_Monk

Got my Civ: BE key from GMG. I can preload the game right? Can't wait for Friday!

I'm going to try and keep a close look to those posting impression on this game, playing from day one since I'm very interested in the theme. Seems like such a great game to play on PC.

You know I always keep an eye out for any of your post in Steam thread Monk :) normally I consider myself pretty easy when it come to games. So most of the games people suggested so far are either things in already interested in or have already played. :p heck I'm willing to try Dark Souls again. I remember not liking it after 20 mins on PS3.

Guess I may need to take a peek at what you have been playing/played on your Profile to have a better knowledge regarding your tastes. :p

As for Dark Souls I can relate a bit with you, actually.

After playing Demon's Souls, my hype for Dark Souls was huge. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition for the PS3, back in the day when I had the console and while I loved it it didn't clicked with me and I never finished. Months later I was lucky to play the PC version and managed to finish it. Had a great time with the game. The secret was playing in short bursts, if I kept dying and dying I would stop and play something else. That, with my usual silly "Screenshots + Quotes" combo to show the progress of my adventure made a great time to start and finish the Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition.

Arthea

This should serve you (anybody for that matter) well. Stop treating companies as homogeneous entities and realise that employees and often the ones responsible for games you like can not be involved in a certain title or move on entirely. Some of the key guys behind previous Bioware CRPG's either moved on or weren't involved in Dragon Age 2. Brent Knowles left, James Ohlen moved up and Ross Gardner went over to The Old Republic team. And those are just a few off the top of my head but had been around and involved since Baulders Gate. If folks realised how many people had left and joined CD Project Red since The Witcher 2 they might be talking about The Witcher III differently. It goes the other way too and every time a Grasshopper Manufacture game is announced it's all about Suda despite him having only a tiny part to play in the production. When games go the way of films and we have 'From the Texture artist that brought you Assassin's Creed' or 'From the Executive Non Commercial Producer of Gears of War' as selling points then games marketing will really have reached the pits of just trying to brand everything.

I wouldn't be so sure that's the case. Inspite of being the huge team efforts, games tend to change drastically if mastermind lefts. We have seen it proven yet and again, still people keep insisting (management too), that there are no irreplaceable people. In grand scheme of things there aren't, sure. But my personal game of forever can be ruined easily this way. What I'm trying to say, people are different, some may not even notice that a game lost direction, while others will cry rivers over it and not without reasons.

CD Project Red

CD Projeckt Red

CD Project Rekt

the next obvious step (><)

Dr Dogg

So let me guess this right. You're telling me I should be damn exicted for Witcher 3 since quite a few talented people left BioWare and joined CD Projeckt Red?

Hahaha no not quite like that but you should have been excited for all the little technical touches Bart Wronski brought to Black Flag and will undoubtedly bring to Assassin's Creed Unity too. So in a roundabout way I'm saying because some loved The Witcher 2 and some even love the cinematic cutscene presentation which Bart had a major hand in but they can also loathe Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed despite a guy now working for them from a previous beloved developer.

I know it's nice and easy to talk about companies and games as a whole and really that's the more concise way to talk, critique, celebrate or slam a title but sometimes the achievements of individuals or smaller teams within the developers/publisher don't get enough or any attention at all. I doubt folks are going to be singing Jude Bond's and creative team at Creative Assembly's praises for the cracking world and environment design of Alien Isolation come GOTY season.

I wouldn't be so sure that's the case. Inspite of being the huge team efforts, games tend to change drastically if mastermind lefts. We have seen it proven yet and again, still people keep insisting (management too), that there are no irreplaceable people. In grand scheme of things there aren't, sure. But my personal game of forever can be ruined easily this way. What I'm trying to say, people are different, some may not even notice that a game lost direction, while others will cry rivers over it and not without reasons.

There was an interview he did about Lollipop Chainsaw pretty much admitting that he was the catalyst for the idea and that was about his creative input and then the rest of his role in production was more promotion and company presidential. Fact of the matter one man, in this case Suda, doesn't make a game on their own but all the talk about them are just that, about one man and not even bothering to go look into who was involved in the games development. Massimo Guarini next to never gets mentioned when Shadows of the Damned gets brought up, it's always Suda, Mikami and even Yamaoka before Guarini's name is on the tip of their tongue/fingers.

Shadownet

Banned
After playing Demon's Souls, my hype for Dark Souls was huge. I pre-ordered the Limited Edition for the PS3, back in the day when I had the console and while I loved it it didn't clicked with me and I never finished. Months later I was lucky to play the PC version and managed to finish it. Had a great time with the game. The secret was playing in short bursts, if I kept dying and dying I would stop and play something else. That, with my usual silly "Screenshots + Quotes" combo to show the progress of my adventure made a great time to start and finish the Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition.

With me its a bit different. I have never play any game in the series before. A friend of mine knew that I loved RPG, so he suggested Dark Souls, though he did warn me that this is a lot harder than anything I've ever played before.

And of course it was. At the time I couldn't fanthom how people are enjoying this game. Where you would literally die every 10-15 minutes. The game is incredibly punishing. So I was like "I can't do this, I play games to enjoy myself not to be punished like this." So I never touch it again.

But I've grown up a bit since then and I realized I just didn't understand what the series was about and that in failures, when you finally succeed in getting past that one for, its all worth it. So hopefully soon I'll get a copy of Dark Souls and give it another chance.

So GAF, what are some of the best 5 Stars, 10 out 10 games must have on Steam?

I don't know whether all these could be regarded as 5 stars, but I would take the opportunity to mention some of my favourite Steam's gems that I reckon would deserve more love:

FLY'N
Tales from space: Blobs attack
Electronic Super Joy
Hexcells +
Dustforce
MacGuffin's curse
Reus
Beatbuddy
Element4l
Super hexagon
Pool nation
One finger death punch
Cook, serve, delicious
Lyne
Riptide GP2
Nightsky

then I would tend to think that nowadays some roguelikes - or games with randmly generated maps - may come handy in everyone's game library

Race the sun
Binding of Isaac
Luftrausers
Hammerwatch
Risk of rain
FTL

and then there's Euro truck simulator 2 and Deadly premonition

Jørdan

I really recommend giving the trailer a look and seeing their website. The game has a really nice feel to it. Coming out in 2014.

curiouscxx1d.png

Thanks for the reminder, I noticed this at TIGSource a while back and had since forgotten about it. Looking forward to more gameplay being shown to see if the game is as great as the concept sounds. I adore the premise and I'm having to reel in my imagination of what it could be. I didn't realize it until now but playing as a 19th century gentleman exploring the great unknown is a game I need in my life.

Dr Dogg

Max Payne's face while playing Max Payne.

http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot2013-01-01awpsk2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I wonder what Sam Lake's face looks like when he's playing Max Payne?

[spoiler]Feel free to post samlakemaxpayneface.jpg in responce[/spoiler]

Spyware

Before I got into GAF I lurked all day, had no drive to play games. Especially not my Steam games for some reason. I just wanted to talk to everyone. Now when I can post? I play games all day. Especially Steam games :D

I don't know why I didn't properly start Legend of Grimrock 2 when I got it... instead I started up a second run through the first game to finish up the achievements. Hard Mode Old School!
Grimrock is one of the most intense games I've ever played. It's not that I run around not knowing what I'll meet since it's my second playthrough and I remember most of the stuff from when I played it in jan-feb. It's not the Hard Mode/Old School thing either since it doesn't actually change much of the experience yet. It's fantastic that the game still feels so intense! Good job Almost Human, I love you :D

Also,
the quakes still seriously freak me out every time :D

I think that is true, but more so in the "good old days" and now only for select titles. Games like the AC series with 17 million people working on them? They are more or less homogeneous entities. Something like Origin in the early 90s? You could take out one or two guys and it would have changed things drastically and did so, depending on who worked on what project.

The point is perfectly valid though. It is like when Rare got purchased. That meant some ips are transferred, but you can't really buy the talent that actually made those ips good.

Well you can buy them I suppose... that is what paying people is. But it is just more difficult.

Copons

Is he having an orgasm?

Yup.
In the middle of a subway station.
Draw your conclusions.

Max Payne 1 is good... 2 is even better..

Sorry, Copons

I loved 2! 2 is great! 2 is GOAT material!

1 though...

Yes, the face of an action hero before he became an alcohol fueled wimp.

I don't think becoming an alcoholic makes you cringe so much that I'm actually concerned about your brain imploding inside the skull.

Shadownet

Banned
I didn't know about this. Yeah, not a nice person.
I haven't heard about this guy until today debacle. But going through his twitter, he does not sound like a pleasant person. I'm not sure if that man has an ounce of maturity in him.

Im definitely with you on that point. A lot of the time we do see developers and publishers as a whole that can't do no wrong and even the other way where they can't do anything right (I.e. EA and Ubisoft) but yeah we often forget about the individual and their contributions that make up the entire team.

Because of that I'm quite worry about Uncharted 4 because from what I remembered a lot of people left Naughty Dog to go go different teams. Though they did gain one developer who is well known for her contribution to the Halo series. (She's Asian but her name escaped me at the moment)

I hope Uncharted 4 will be out of this world.

Pool Nation
Cook, serve, delicious
Lyne

Yup Pool Nation and Lyne are wonderful. Especially Lyne. Unfortunately while Cook, Serve Delicious is great. I do not possess the hand eye coordination needed to play the game to it full potential.

So I bought a steam key from someone in the b/t/s thread on GAF for Shadow of Mordor, and the key doesn't work. They posted a 15 digit code all lower case with no hyphens. I obviously tried it like that, then capitals with hyphens etc but it's not working.

No response in 6-7 hours, should I be worried or am I over analysing it?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I bought a steam key from someone in the b/t/s thread on GAF for Shadow of Mordor, and the key doesn't work. They posted a 15 digit code all lower case with no hyphens. I obviously tried it like that, then capitals with hyphens etc but it's not working.

Have they posted anything in that time? They might be asleep.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Give them at least 12 hours. People need to sleep, work/school or handle issues in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom