• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

It is certainly a difficult problem. You look at something like Ultima 7. Maybe one of the best games ever made, which had a team of about 20 people do it. Obviously this calls for heroic efforts, but you at least get a focused title.

Something like Dark Souls 2? I'd argue it is a great game too. But it also seems to suffer from a large team, where everybody was doing "their bit" and none of it really comes together as a complete work.

That would be the main difference with movies. A movie has to come together in an hour or two and the editing process is brutal. For a game? If you made the content you might as well just chuck it all in, to pad out the game time and get that 10/10 review from IGN.

Maybe the problem is games just need lots more editing to match the big development teams. I'm pretty sure I could cut AC3 down to about 3 minutes and it would be a much stronger game.

For sure. The whole habit of trying to compare movies to games I have thought to be a bit flawed, especially the way both are consumed and their length. It's pretty much established a film should run for an hour and a half (maybe 2+ hours for the bigger epics) and that goes for a rom-com as well as an action spectacular. Smaller independent films of course can buck the trend and you can see something that last a handful of minute or go on and on for hours but in the more studio based system it's all pretty tight. Now games on the other hand can wildly vary in length, even titles that are similar, sometimes even entries in the same franchise. You could say that lasting 10's of hours and consumed over several sittings games are more closer to television than film but then again that's painting with a broad brush. But then with something as free from ridged constraints like gaming what could be a 20 hour game for one person could be 100's for another. Though some are a bit more tight in their pacing.

Even in 'cinematic' games no fat is trimmed and every last footstep is shown to the audience (well in gameplay). You could compare say and Uncharted to a film, Indiana Jones for example (sacrilege in my eyes but it's an easy comparison) but Raiders didn't go on for 10 hours. Sure you could tighten things up and make the experience a short one but that takes away from the key hook most of us play games for, interactivity. While I think it could be said the Uncharted has little to no agency as the story will unfold for every player exactly the same it's the stories we make ourselves whilst playing that are a big draw to that kind of game. If that experience is polished to a mirror sheen coupled with a decent story then for me the time it takes to consume is kind of irrelevant. Same with Dark Souls and you could argue that had little to no forced story but one the emerged as you played but the mechanics of the game whittled the hours away.

Assassin's Creed III and Final Fantasy XIII might have their flaws but gameplay wise I really enjoyed both but it was that meshing of the story and gameplay that didn't click for me. Combined with constant tutorialisng that really needed stripping back that got in both the way of the story and the gameplay.

Preorders for Be Mine 15 will go live today. Also only one repeat. And a new hint, a dude with orange hair.

Thats cool. Hope the games are good.

Btw. what happened to the "world"-bundles for Groupees? I remember they said they will do some world bundles like Japan-bundle, scandinavian bundle etc., then they did one and IIRC after that no other bundle was launched.

Jørdan

Heh maybe they will give both

c7NJRa2h.jpg

Nzyme32

There are reports that some of the GMG Civ: Beyond Earth keys are activating as Borderlands Pre-Sequel...

https://forums.playfire.com/gmg/thread/122441?page=2

Actually this might explain why I haven't got mine - in my GMG library it used to say "no key available till release" now it is says "no key available for this game", yet hitting the download button no longer shows any messages, instead it has a click here to download, that does nothing... wonder how all that has happened

Holy shit I wouldn't wish that to my worst enemy.

I guess we now know what the "Great Mistake" was that is referenced in BE ;)

Actually this might explain why I haven't got mine - in my GMG library it used to say "no key available till release" now it is says "no key available for this game", yet hitting the download button no longer shows any messages, instead it has a click here to download, that does nothing... wonder how all that has happened

Yep, same here.

Dr Dogg

You know there's something wrong when you're laughing at your own recommendation for AssCreed Unity. I might have to jazz it up a bit.

I decided to move Civ V off my SSD to make room for BE but now Steam is literally downloading the game again. Any idea what I did wrong?

I just moved the files from the Steam directory on my SSD to the one on my HDD.

Nzyme32

I decided to move Civ V off my SSD to make room for BE but now Steam is literally downloading the game again. Any idea what I did wrong?

Get a second opinion before doing this, but you may have to have a copy as a backup and one in the original place, then via steam game properties, delete the game, then choose to redownload the game but indicate the sdd drive and the same location as the backup. Steam will say it is redownloading but after a minute it should just work itself out **I THINK** I say this because I seem to recall their being an option to do that. Could be wrong. Be safe and check with the SoiSoi Ronin

Yo is Korra out yet? If so is it region locked? Pls no region lock. I got some cash on my PayPal just waiting to be spent on some sweet Russian prices

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

What did you do, exactly? Simply moving the game from one library folder to another won't work. You have to move the installation folder, uninstall the game, reinstall the game and select the proper library folder.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yo is Korra out yet? If so is it region locked? Pls no region lock. I got some cash on my PayPal just waiting to be spent on some sweet Russian prices

I'm like 99% sure it'll be region-locked ... so don't get your hopes up

Dr Dogg

Steam Mover and SteamSpreader should do the trick without making any errors. Depends on how you moved it really.

If you're doing a manual move you need to move the game folder from the SteamApps>Common directory and the manifest file in SteamApps directory which is labled with the game id no so in Civ V's case appmanifest_8930.acf to the new location in exactly the same spots. If you leave either things can go pear shaped. I make sure the client is closed when I do that so not to mess anything up. Doing that only things redownload are dependencies like .net or DirectX needing to be updated.

Oh well my Civ BE key just came in from GMG and (unfortunately?) no mistakes, just a slow roll out :p

Glad(?) that you got it without any mistakes. Just received mine too, and it also activated without any nasty surprises. While I suppose I'd have reluctantly accepted a free(?) copy of Pre-Sequel
just for the +1 of course!
I'm just as happy not to have the hassle of chasing up support for the key I actually paid for.

Knurek

Re: CD Projekt Red

Bit of fun trivia, polish word Projekt (meaning Project) is pronounced like Proiect ('j' is spoken like like 'i' in Ian, not like 'j' in Jerry).

Please pronounce the company's name correctly, thankyouverymuchgoodnight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anyone knows what the Alien Isolation Seasonpass will offer? Just the preorder DLCs and some challenge maps?

I think it's just challenge maps.

I liked Fable 3 more than Fable 2.
Remember just playing for a whole weekend and getting the original 1000G.
Still kinda mad fable 3 was removed from the store before I could get it.
I enjoyed 3 more than 2 as well. I would actually replay it if they Steamworked it.

Strazyplus

?

in no order:

paranautical activity
tower of guns
eldritch
fancy skulls
rogue shooter: the fps roguelike
heavy bullets
delver
depths of fear: knossos
ziggurat
receiver (maybe? havent played it yet)

edit: there may be more these are just ones that I own

You should play Receiver!

Nzyme32

Glad(?) that you got it without any mistakes. Just received mine too, and it also activated without any nasty surprises. While I suppose I'd have reluctantly accepted a free(?) copy of Pre-Sequel
just for the +1 of course!
I'm just as happy not to have the hassle of chasing up support for the key I actually paid for.

Literally would have been a +1 to go through when excruciatingly bored, but of course Civ BE is what I have been waiting for for a long time. Only thing that I'm unsure of with Civ BE is the new narrator, as weird as that is to say. Really loved William Morgan Sheppard doing Civ V, but I understand Civ BE wants to represent the new future and generation with a younger less aged narrator

Alavard

I played Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut for another couple hours last night and I'm seriously digging the game, but there are some really annoying parts to it.

In order to start one of the early sidequests, I'm supposed to talk to one of the owners of a local general store to start the quest, which is only open at certain hours. By the time I was able to get there, they were closed for lunch. Okay, no biggie (despite there being no documentation that they close for the lunch hour). I wait out the time, and oh, what's this, the lady is coming outside! Yay! Oh, wait, she's going for errands, and leaving the shop, which means I can talk to her, but she won't offer her sidequest. And by the time she's back from her errands, the shop is closed again. I could wait for morning to roll around, but that means having to go back to the hotel to sleep (or having enough coffee to recharge my rest meter that way), and even if I advance to the next day, there's a chance it will be raining, which also means the shops will be closed.

And from the guide I'm reading, the 'chapter replay' feature is especially weird. Just like it sounds, you can replay any chapter you've already beaten. However, in this mode, if you save and exit during it, it purposely won't save your progress (just your items and such). This means, if you do a chapter replay, you need to complete the chapter in one sitting. This is not necessarily a long thing to do (some chapters are like 20 min or less). It's just... strange. And could that with the fact that some sidequests can literally only be done during a chapter replay of a chapter... weird game is weird.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If you search on TF2Outpost Casimir. I see some people selling it for 15 TF2 Keys.

Thanks for the heads up! :p

I hope my current setup can brute force the game.

There are currently four open threads on Steam Trades. Whether or not there are still copies available is another question entirely.

:/ When I searched, it only gave me the closed threads.

OT but, I've done it GAF. I deleted my entire life's forth of eroge. All 2 TB of it. I'm not looking back.

*shivers*

You must walk home naked, dragging behind you the Stone of Shame.

About time we got a release date for this one. 24th October.

Visually it looks interesting, I'll have to pick it up. The score seems to be promising, maybe near the level of Shatter.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

ESCHALON BOOK III -- MB-0CED1980C85167DA - Taken by ctw0e
Orbital Gear -- MB-5416C7D40B469578 - Taken by Catshade

So, I'm now dabbling in steam family sharing with my brother and i have a quick question: from what i read in the valve FAQ, you can access the other person's DLC for a game only if you don't happen to own the game itself. If this is so, why isn't it allowing me to download the Ultra texture pack for Mordor, a game i don't own?

Dr Dogg

Literally would have been a +1 to go through when excruciatingly bored, but of course Civ BE is what I have been waiting for for a long time. Only thing that I'm unsure of with Civ BE is the new narrator, as weird as that is to say. Really loved William Morgan Sheppard doing Civ V, but I understand Civ BE wants to represent the new future and generation with a younger less aged narrator

Pah Sheppard pales in comparison to Spock!

That would have been much more fitting to get Leonard Nimoy back for Beyond Earth but I'd imagine it's going to be the same sort of adjustment period for me. Though really looking at Civ classic and Beyond Earth while the framework is the same the core of each looks to be a little different and seems they can go in quite different way. As jaundicejuice pointed out earlier the lack of Civs (or Sponsors now) might lead to a bit of repetition unless their playstyles are mixed up or randomised. Still it's Civ, I'm fully expecting it to break conventions I have gotten used to that won't get addressed until an expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom