• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
So I bought a steam key from someone in the b/t/s thread on GAF for Shadow of Mordor, and the key doesn't work. They posted a 15 digit code all lower case with no hyphens. I obviously tried it like that, then capitals with hyphens etc but it's not working.

No response in 6-7 hours, should I be worried or am I over analysing it?

Check his Steam/GAF profile. Have he been online within the last 6-7 hours? If not. I would wait and see. Maybe he haven't gotten online since he sold you the code?

But it is suspicious that the code was all lower case and no hyphens. I hope you saved the messages or PM between you and him and prove in case this goes south.
(Good luck, hopefully its just some small error)

Pool Nation is fucking awesome. So glad to see that there's more than 3 people on the planet who knows it exists. xD
Its a great game for a SteamGAF tournament... Just give me like 3 months to practice. Iosefe wiped the floor with me a couple weeks ago.

Dr Dogg

I think that is true, but more so in the "good old days" and now only for select titles. Games like the AC series with 17 million people working on them? They are more or less homogeneous entities. Something like Origin in the early 90s? You could take out one or two guys and it would have changed things drastically and did so, depending on who worked on what project.

The point is perfectly valid though. It is like when Rare got purchased. That meant some ips are transferred, but you can't really buy the talent that actually made those ips good.

Oh definitely the days of the 6 person team are long gone in the big budget world of today. Though say what you want about Square Enix and Final Fantasy but some people responsible do get name checked rather than huddled under a catch-all turn of phrase. But even going back to times of yore, because there wasn't any recognition for programmers working on Atari titles in opposition to that the world then got Activsion from the break away employees after what they considered due credit (who now go on to have mammoth franchises and talk about them and not the programmers).

Speaking of Rare, they were never going to be the same without the Stamper Brothers there, and with a fair few key players spinning off Free Radical after Perfect Dark they always looked like a company in a state of flux.

Im definitely with you on that point. A lot of the time we do see developers and publishers as a whole that can't do no wrong and even the other way where they can't do anything right (I.e. EA and Ubisoft) but yeah we often forget about the individual and their contributions that make up the entire team.

Because of that I'm quite worry about Uncharted 4 because from what I remembered a lot of people left Naughty Dog to go go different teams. Though they did gain one developer who is well known for her contribution to the Halo series. (She's Asian but her name escaped me at the moment)

I hope Uncharted 4 will be out of this world.

Don't worry it's all Druckman's fault. Hey hang on...

Like this:

http://i.picpar.com/Jmgb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Tee Hee

Braag

I wonder what Sam Lake's face looks like when he's playing Max Payne?

Feel free to post samlakemaxpayneface.jpg in responce

Jmgb.jpg

Jørdan

Good luck with getting a foil :p

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Jrdan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Paranautical Activity -- MB-72B0FCB3F31A67B0 - Taken by milena87. 7 entrants total.

t1413887792z1.png

So I bought a steam key from someone in the b/t/s thread on GAF for Shadow of Mordor, and the key doesn't work. They posted a 15 digit code all lower case with no hyphens. I obviously tried it like that, then capitals with hyphens etc but it's not working.

D: I hope it was just a mistake in his part. It would suck if he ripped you off.

Arthea

There was an interview he did about Lollipop Chainsaw pretty much admitting that he was the catalyst for the idea and that was about his creative input and then the rest of his role in production was more promotion and company presidential. Fact of the matter one man, in this case Suda, doesn't make a game on their own but all the talk about them are just that, about one man and not even bothering to go look into who was involved in the games development. Massimo Guarini next to never gets mentioned when Shadows of the Damned gets brought up, it's always Suda, Mikami and even Yamaoka before Guarini's name is on the tip of their tongue/fingers.

That's not a point, though, even if Suda didn't made a game or overlook it but just thrown in some ideas, being branded as Suda's game made the team to make Suda's game. It's other question succeeded they in that or not, but the game would be different if there was no Suda attached to it.
I understand easily that these days a game is much more complex than it used to be, with more people working on it, but still I can't agree and never will that a person no longer has impact, because my experience says otherwise.

Kind of hard to over analyse. You purchased something and it didn't work.

The lesson is to avoid key sites, but for now you have every right to be worried.

That's not a point, though, even if Suda didn't made a game or overlook it but just thrown in some ideas, being branded as Suda's game made the team to make Suda's game. It's other question succeeded they in that or not, but the game would be different if there was no Suda attached to it.

I think the key is the "succeeded" part. That has little to do with Suda and everything to do with the other people working on it. It is all about the degree of influence, but as the saying goes, ideas are cheap.

Chariot

Kind of hard to over analyse. You purchased something and it didn't work.

The lesson is to avoid key sites, but for now you have every right to be worried.
B/S/T isn't a key site - it's dark and full of terrors no less. One better stays in the warm embrace of SteamGAF.

Arthea

I think the key is the "succeeded" part. That has little to do with Suda and everything to do with the other people working on it. It is all about the degree of influence, but as the saying goes, ideas are cheap.

If ideas were really cheap, we wouldn't be living in times of remakes, reimaginings, repeats and reboots.
Ideas never were cheap, we only like to think so (><)

Dr Dogg

I understand easily that these days a game is much more complex than it used to be, with more people working on it, but still I can't agree and never will that a person no longer has impact, because my experience says otherwise.

So lets say that if you and your co-workers worked really hard on a project for 3 years and put every once of you soul into it, under pretty stressful working conditions at times and regardless how it turned out got no recognition at all for your efforts you'd be fine with that? You'd be fine that all your work gets attributed to one person knowing that they didn't have that much of a part to play? You seem to got completely the wrong end of the stick I'm not talking about Suda up and leaving I'm talking about giving credit where credit is due.

while Cook, Serve Delicious is great. I do not possess the hand eye coordination needed to play the game to it full potential.

I reckon than in Cook, serve, delicious - that's assuming you're playing with keyboard and mouse - you have to learn by heart all the recipes and ingredients' key bindings, then it's a lot like "Typing of the dead: overkill", otherwise if you have to check each time the ingredients list then it is way harder methinks.

B/S/T isn't a key site - it's dark and full of terrors no less. One better stays in the warm embrace of SteamGAF.

It is on an internet site and you buy keys... so yeah, dark and full of terrors.

So lets say that if you and your co-workers worked really hard on a project for 3 years and put every once of you soul into it, under pretty stressful working conditions at times and regardless how it turned out got no recognition at all for your efforts you'd be fine with that? You'd be fine that all your work gets attributed to one person knowing that they didn't have that much of a part to play? You seem to got completely the wrong end of the stick I'm not talking about Suda up and leaving I'm talking about giving credit where credit is due.

On the other hand, most games bomb (umm, including Suda's if I'm not mistaken), so swings and roundabouts on taking the credit ;)

Shadownet

Banned
I reckon than in Cook, serve, delicious - that's assuming you're playing with keyboard and mouse - you have to learn by heart all the recipes and ingredients' key bindings, then it's a lot like "Typing of the dead: overkill", otherwise if you have to check each time the ingredients list then it is way harder methinks.
Someone told me I should play it with a controller instead, I might try it out.. (Yeah I've been using KB+M)

I used to work at Starbucks, I couldn't even memorize the drinks. Memorizing recipes for this game is going to be a personal nightmare for me. Lol

Zeeman

Going back a couple pages, but Korra looks fun as hell. I've never played a Platinum game (aside from the W101 demo). I should get on that.

Ozium

I'm so fucking salty I already sold my paranautical activity cards that I feel a death threat coming on...

/s

Arthea

you basically just described how it works for my team. Nope, I'm not complaining, at least I never did, minus about being paid too little (><)
not every ounce of my soul, though, that's not even asked of us ;)

credit for a team? Ya, it usually given, at least in gaming industry.

Just installed Paranautical Activity. Can't wait to see how bad the game actually is.

you seriously think that a game is bad because of dev's personality?
you have a lot to learn about this life (><)

Dr Dogg

On the other hand, most games bomb (umm, including Suda's if I'm not mistaken), so swings and roundabouts on taking the credit ;)

Hahaha very true. I can't remember who said it but maybe Suda 51 is like the Alan Smithee of video games.

To be fair though the way games are presented and marketed to us, and as you point out are made by enough people to inhabit a small island nation these days it's very hard who to attribute the work to.

There's this whole demystifying the game thing that never really goes on. Let's put it this way a fair few like to think they know how to make a movie. You get a script thrashed out, finance sorted, director and cast signed on and shoot that either on location or in a studio. Once that's all done it's back to the editing suite to put it all together. Now that's pretty simple and obviously a lot more work goes in than that but that's a brief overview of film production most of us are familiar with from either articles, schooling, DVD extras etc. Where on earth do you start to make a game? What number of jigsaw puzzles do you have to juggle to make something that is a finished product of a games let alone in which order? From just reading about game production there are loads of different ways and some are poles apart but next to never is this something talked about openly in the public eye (for various reason). But there's bound to be someone posting in a thread on GAF today who thinks they know how to make a game but really doesn't have the foggiest.

Kiru

you seriously think that a game is bad because of dev's personality?
you have a lot to learn about this life (><)

No, because some people in here actually said that it was bad or at least not that good, not because of the dev.

Arthea

Just read Korra's impressions that made it a very unattractive game in my eyes, let's hope it's wrong on all those combat points.

Ozium

No, because some people in here actually said that it was bad or at least not that good, not because of the dev.

I thought it was bad but it improved a lot with the latest update tbqh...

still on the lower end of spectrum as far as roguelite fps games on steam tho

the new update definitely moved it up from turd status however

Arthea

I thought it was bad but it improved a lot with the latest update tbqh...

still on the lower end of spectrum as far as roguelite fps games on steam tho

That's an interesting expression... there are like 2, maybe 3 of them on steam (><)

There's this whole demystifying the game thing that never really goes on. Let's put it this way a fair few like to think they know how to make a movie. You get a script thrashed out, finance sorted, director and cast signed on and shoot that either on location or in a studio. Once that's all done it's back to the editing suite to put it all together. Now that's pretty simple and obviously a lot more work goes in than that but that's a brief overview of film production most of us are familiar with from either articles, schooling, DVD extras etc. Where on earth do you start to make a game? What number of jigsaw puzzles do you have to juggle to make something that is a finished product of a games let alone in which order? From just reading about game production there are loads of different ways and some are poles apart but next to never is this something talked about openly in the public eye (for various reason). But there's bound to be someone posting in a thread on GAF today who thinks they know how to make a game but really doesn't have the foggiest.

It is certainly a difficult problem. You look at something like Ultima 7. Maybe one of the best games ever made, which had a team of about 20 people do it. Obviously this calls for heroic efforts, but you at least get a focused title.

Something like Dark Souls 2? I'd argue it is a great game too. But it also seems to suffer from a large team, where everybody was doing "their bit" and none of it really comes together as a complete work.

That would be the main difference with movies. A movie has to come together in an hour or two and the editing process is brutal. For a game? If you made the content you might as well just chuck it all in, to pad out the game time and get that 10/10 review from IGN.

Maybe the problem is games just need lots more editing to match the big development teams. I'm pretty sure I could cut AC3 down to about 3 minutes and it would be a much stronger game.

Ozium

That's an interesting expression... there are like 2, maybe 3 of them on steam (><)

?

in no order:

paranautical activity
tower of guns
eldritch
fancy skulls
rogue shooter: the fps roguelike
heavy bullets
delver
depths of fear: knossos
ziggurat
receiver (maybe? havent played it yet)

edit: there may be more these are just ones that I own

Arthea

It is certainly a difficult problem. You look at something like Ultima 7. Maybe one of the best games ever made, which had a team of about 20 people do it. Obviously this calls for heroic efforts, but you at least get a focused title.

Something like Dark Souls 2? I'd argue it is a great game too. But it also seems to suffer from a large team, where everybody was doing "their bit" and none of it really comes together as a complete work.

That would be the main difference with movies. A movie has to come together in an hour or two and the editing process is brutal. For a game? If you made the content you might as well just chuck it all in, to pad out the game time and get that 10/10 review from IGN.

Maybe the problem is games just need lots more editing to match the big development teams. I'm pretty sure I could cut AC3 down to about 3 minutes and it would be a much stronger game.

If we consider games art (and I do to a point), all the team needs is a talented dictator, that pries into everything, annoys everybody, is arrogant, self assured, has "vision", is perfectionist, but listens to everybody and still makes how he/she sees fit. That always worked, you just have to find one and let him/her loose, problem solved.
Not even kidding (><)

Jawmuncher

Going back a couple pages, but Korra looks fun as hell. I've never played a Platinum game (aside from the W101 demo). I should get on that.

W1010 is very divisive when it comes to Platinum games.
You're either going to love it or just come out thinking it's ok.
Don't know anyone who flat out hates it though.

If we consider games art (and I do to a point), all the team needs is a talented dictator, that pries into everything, annoys everybody, is arrogant, self assured, has "vision", is perfectionist, but listens to everybody and still makes how he/she sees fit. That always worked, you just have to find one and let him/her loose, problem solved.
Not even kidding (><)

I'm available, hire me and I will rule your teams with an iron fist and hugs.

Ozium

Not even kidding (><)

260px-200px-Shigeru_Miyamoto_cropped.jpg

those tea tables aren't going to upend themselves

Not even kidding (><)

So big Fable 3 fan?

Arthea

So big Fable 3 fan?

I had no will to play it after Fable2, I do like some of his games, though, earlier ones. He seems to be a bit unstable for a role I described, actually.

I liked Fable 3 more than Fable 2.
Remember just playing for a whole weekend and getting the original 1000G.
Still kinda mad fable 3 was removed from the store before I could get it.

otoh maybe it's for better, I don't need to play it if it's not available!

Jawmuncher

I liked Fable 3 more than Fable 2.
Remember just playing for a whole weekend and getting the original 1000G.
Still kinda mad fable 3 was removed from the store before I could get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom