• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Not sure, I'm playint it at 768p and it works fine.
No region locks.(its around 9 russiabucks)

When you change resolutions the game will automatically do it btw, no confirmation or anything. So you can't go to the max resolution automatically, you have to "jump" in resolutions until you get there. That's quite amateurish, but oh well.

It's not region locked say wut.

I know that Stump lives here, that he's a good man and he often means well. In my quest to play and finish all of those great Squaresoft classics from the PSX that i never got around to or that i set aside back in the day, i recently gave the Legend of Mana a shot. His post about what makes that game great and his thorough breakdown of it set the stage for a vita playthrough.

But bro, Legend of Mana isn't very good : / It's not lacking in interesting things, design-wise, and you can see that the folks behind it were an ambitious bunch. But it plays like a terrible tales game and for all the charm that its art has it doesn't make up for what is just a dull and boring experience. I popped in Vagrant Story today to see if I should just move on to another Squaresoft game i had missed out on and, man, it had my attention before i had even pressed a button.

Ok hypothetical decision time peeps. Say Sega agree to port Bayonetta to PC but are only going to do the minimum work required and bring over the PS3 port and locked to 1280x720 as the resolution with no extra bells and whistles. Would you buy it yes or no? Of course a bit more than a yes or no answer, maybe with a bit of justification as to why.

Personally that wouldn't be too much value to me over the 360, PS3 and soon to be WiiU copies that I own to really consider quadruple dipping on something that doesn't sing to the platforms strengths. Though if I didn't own any previous version I would definitely buy it as the game is still cracking even on the PS3 and maybe with a bit of brute force might run at a constant 60hz update.

First off, i'd assume they would try to do it in the less costly, lowest level of difficulty needed to port the game so as to maximize returns. Knowing that, they're much more likely to port over the 360 version given that it's going to be much easier to get that up and running on PCs than the PS3 version.

and yeah, i'd rather have it on PC to future proof my library. I actually got rid of my old copy of it when i sold my 360, so im excited that the Wiiu version comes with it but i'd still get a copy on PC just to be able to play it years from now without having to unpack a box and find my wiiu.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this last level (I think its the last) in Styx is fucking gigantic, stupid long ass great value game, let me finish you >_<

I asked yesterday, but didn't get a reply, so I figure I'll try one more time before letting it go.

Here's what I asked originally:

This might seem like a bit of a detour, but it's something I've been dealing with for the past couple weeks, so I figured that SteamGAF might have some ideas.

What does SteamGAF use for HDD backups?

Previously, I used Norton Ghost, which worked pretty well until Symantec stopped supporting it. Recently I tried Acronis True Image 2015 (which was a disaster that I do not recommend), and then settled on Comodo Backup (which I'm looking to get away from since it's slow and creates large files).

Essentially I'm just looking for a good imaging program that can handle full + incremental backups, with decent speed and decent file sizes. I recently came across Time Machine that seems pretty alright, so I'll probably try that next if no one knows of anything better.

Any advice?

Anyone using anything they like? I'm down for spending some money just to be rid of this headache (been going between programs for a few months now, which really sucks) so I'd like just find one that works well and stick with it.

Surely I can't be the only one that does backups, right?

madjoki

This kind of hilarious, it will be down soon enough.

They set up only a Norwegian Price the first time, then took it down, now it is the Thai Bhat... no idea, I assume it's just a logistical thing they have to do

Paranautical added store name again, weird.

Likely caching issue according to xPaw (SteamDB dev)

[20:54:57] <+SteamDB> New on store: Paranautical Activity - https://steamdb.info/app/250580/
[20:55:17] <@Timmy_> huh
[20:55:28] <@xPaw> probably valve's shotty cachin

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This kind of hilarious, it will be down soon enough.

They set up only a Norwegian Price the first time, then took it down, now it is the Thai Bhat... no idea, I assume it's just a logistical thing they have to do

You're probably right, considering that several new currencies are slated to go live later today during the maintenance window.

Anteater

Ok hypothetical decision time peeps. Say Sega agree to port Bayonetta to PC but are only going to do the minimum work required and bring over the PS3 port and locked to 1280x720 as the resolution with no extra bells and whistles. Would you buy it yes or no? Of course a bit more than a yes or no answer, maybe with a bit of justification as to why.

Personally that wouldn't be too much value to me over the 360, PS3 and soon to be WiiU copies that I own to really consider quadruple dipping on something that doesn't sing to the platforms strengths. Though if I didn't own any previous version I would definitely buy it as the game is still cracking even on the PS3 and maybe with a bit of brute force might run at a constant 60hz update.

The exact same version as ps3 even the framerate? Probably not unless it's like 3 bucks :p

I'd buy it if the framerate is at least constant 60fps.

Shadownet

Banned
So Payday2's last bonus for reaching 1.5mil members....
...John Wick DLC.
Nothing wrong with this. Keanu Reeve is awesome.

same, doesn't work with credit tho so bah. the 20% voucher doesnt seem to work, but i might be using it wrong, stupid GMG vouchers with Os that look like 0s and vice versa. anyone has the actual code?
I have a 30% off code for Beyond Earth. Doesn't work, but credits can be included.

Parsnip

I can hereby personally confirm that Massive Chalice looks like a video game.

mc_exe_2014_10_21_21_05_17_976_by_majorparsnip-d83nqf8.jpg

Maniac

Banned
People still complain about the paid DLC packs, if you look hard enough you will still find people bitching about the first paid DLC pack, how much it's a rip off with their 800 hours of playtime and dozens of free DLC and updates...
I personally just complain that the game isn't anywhere near the state they promised it would be in all their pre-launch hype-trailers and interviews and all that. The game, with all the DLC, still has less content and unique heists than it was supposed to have, in the base game at launch over a year ago. Sigh.

Unless you code to the metal or something.
That's not how it works... Are you a bit slow? You obviously code to the cornea, not the metal. Scrub, git gud. :p

jblank83

I can hereby personally confirm that Massive Chalice looks like a video game.

That is a video game. I know because I accidentally played one once when I was trying clear out my massive backlog of retro interactive fiction productivity AI toy eroge romance novels.

Dr Dogg

First off, i'd assume they would try to do it in the less costly, lowest level of difficulty needed to port the game so as to maximize returns. Knowing that, they're much more likely to port over the 360 version given that it's going to be much easier to get that up and running on PCs than the PS3 version.

and yeah, i'd rather have it on PC to future proof my library. I actually got rid of my old copy of it when i sold my 360, so im excited that the Wiiu version comes with it but i'd still get a copy on PC just to be able to play it years from now without having to unpack a box and find my wiiu.

Hahaha you can't just pick and choose your own situation. You're getting the PS3 version with it's toned down alpha effects and texture issues at 1280x720 and hope that your hardware can brute force past the framerate issues. That's the kicker of this hypothetical as I'm curious to see if folks really want to play a great game with the advantage of having it easily archived on PC or just want it to be shinier or better than the previous versions. Fair enough there are already too many great games on Steam but would a bare bones port job be enough to turn potential suitors off.

The exact same version as ps3 even the framerate? Probably not unless it's like 3 bucks :p

I'd buy it if the framerate is at least constant 60fps.

Hmmm I forgot about factoring in deep sale discounts. I guess everyone has their price. I mean after my 360 at the time died I bought a PS3 copy for £5 to play again.

Shadownet

Banned
Do you think I should jump on Beyond Earth now that it is $37 on GMG? or do you guys think there will probably be an even bigger sale come winter? (Steam or other places)

rybrad

I asked yesterday, but didn't get a reply, so I figure I'll try one more time before letting it go.

Anyone using anything they like? I'm down for spending some money just to be rid of this headache (been going between programs for a few months now, which really sucks) so I'd like just find one that works well and stick with it.

I am interested in this too. Backups are always such a pain, finding something good would be well worth the price in my opinion.

Asgaro

Total Biscuit talks about Paranautical Activity in this old video (the first 10 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2n1FVmOIL8

It seems the 2 man development team has actually been screwed over by Steam.
Total Biscuit rips apart Steam's reasoning.

This in no way justifies the death threat, but I think it's important to hear the whole story of the relationship between Steam and the developers of this game.

Tellaerin

So Payday2's last bonus for reaching 1.5mil members....

...John Wick DLC.

...after watching the trailers for John Wick, I'm seriously tempted to dip into my Steam sale emergency fund and get Payday 2 so I can get in on that. The movie looks hype as fuck. (Yeah, okay, I'm part of the problem. : / )

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So yesterday was my birthday

Happy belated birthday!

take educated guess!
NingenJanai

edited: beaten by Panda, my shame will be eternal, please keep it secret guys!

For some reason, that reminded me that Eternal Darkness is pretty great and that a spiritual sequel could have been great :(

Do you think I should jump on Beyond Earth now that it is $37 on GMG? or do you guys think there will probably be an even bigger sale come winter? (Steam or other places)

In all likelihood, BE might have at least one expansion. We already know that there's a preorder DLC pack, so it's not unreasonable to believe that there will be other small pieces of content released as well. Looking at 2K's past games and sales also point to price drops in the future.

You're probably better off waiting until a complete edition is announced unless you're really desperate to play the game right away.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Here's what I asked originally:

Most likely, yes. The amount of people that does Full HDD backups like that is small, from what I've gathered over the years.

Currently, I'm using the free version of Macrium Reflect. I don't actually use it for backups, I use it to make an image of my previous OS installation every time I re-install my OS, so I can easily grab configuration files and other stuff that is hidden under the user folder that I only notice i'm missing after the fact.

It works wonders for that, as it has a file browser built into the windows explorer interface. There's a paid version as well, but I don't know what's the difference between them.

Dr Dogg

Well it's 2K and we all know how much they like to discount. I don't know about bigger sale but you might be able to get it for around the same price, maybe a little lower (-25% off GG style) come the later sales. I guess that depends on their sales and longterm strategy with DLC and expansions down the line.

Also seeing as Civ is usually a massive time sink I'd weight up what you have to play and how long you can clear your plate. AC Unity if Black Flag is anything to go by could be 30-60 hours worth of content. DA Inquestition could also be huge in the 10's of hours marks and Far Cry 4 could take a while to 100%. Factor in one game of Civ taking hours and then having a lot of replay value at that you might want to invest in some clones as well!

gngf123

People!

Cloudbuilt is on sale on the Humble store. £2.99 for this game is a steal. You should check it out If you are interested in games with fast movement and advanced movement techniques, are interested in speed running, or just like your games hard as balls.

It's got some flaws. For example, the level design can feel a little unfair at first. Once you are familiar with the controls and can go through levels faster the problems with the design become less important.

Who knows, maybe you could become as good as Kalifen or Chezda some day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26l1SndpfvE

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/cloudbuilt_storefront

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Total Biscuit talks about Paranautical Activity in this old video (the first 10 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2n1FVmOIL8

It seems the 2 man development team has actually been screwed over by Steam.
Total Biscuit rips apart Steam's reasoning.

This in no way justifies the death threat, but I think it's important to hear the whole story of the relationship between Steam and the developers of this game.
There is a thread for discussing that.

People!

Cloudbuilt is on sale on the Humble store. £2.99 for this game is a steal. You should check it out If you are interested in games with fast movement and advanced movement techniques, are interested in speed running, or just like your games hard as balls.

It's got some flaws. For example, the level design can feel a little unfair at first. Once you are familiar with the controls and can go through levels faster the problems with the design become less important.

Who knows, maybe you could become as good as Kalifen or Chezda some day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26l1SndpfvE

The last level of one branch is really impossible...
It seems only a few people even unlocked the achievement for beating it and on YouTube most use a bug to reach the end, thats also "impossible" to pull off :(

People!

You should really get yourself checked out. Testicular cancer is no joke

:p

gngf123

The last level of one branch is really impossible...
It seems only a few people even unlocked the achievement for beating it and on YouTube most use a bug to reach the end, thats also "impossible" to pull off :(

Redeployment right? That was by far the hardest one for me, and is one of the levels I haven't S ranked yet. I'll do it some day.

I think the use of the bug (not really, just a shortcut) has more to do with most Youtube runs being speedruns than anything else. There's a lot of room for breaking this game, which makes it fun for speedrunning.

...after watching the trailers for John Wick, I'm seriously tempted to dip into my Steam sale emergency fund and get Payday 2 so I can get in on that. The movie looks hype as fuck. (Yeah, okay, I'm part of the problem. : / )

The announcement says if you see the movie you get a Steam copy of Payday 2 with it.

Lomax

I'm sure after this debacle, Adult Swim is ecstatic that they didn't end up publishing the game under their banner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom