• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

i feel really bad for the pa dude

some people should remove themselves from twitter for their own sake

I could understand the frustration and sometimes anger could consume you but I would never do something as stupid as him when it comes to work.

Dr Dogg

i feel really bad for the pa dude

some people should remove themselves from twitter for their own sake

That or have their feed ghost written like some people in the public eye obviously do. In fact I might start a business venture of being the mouth piece for small indie devs with a hot temper. 10p a tweet if you're interested indie devs, I don't tweet after 12pm GMT though.

Going to shamelessly endorse Out of the Park Baseball 15, which is 50% off right now...

Sim any season in history, or build your own teams. Full control or no control over front office decisions, lineups, pitching, minors, free agents, all that mess.

It's a fantastic video game and if you like baseball, you should check it out.

tumblr_mlsd1oS6LF1ryzizgo1_500.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
I could understand the frustration and sometimes anger could consume you but I would never do something as stupid as him when it comes to work.
for sure, really dumb move from whichever way you look at it (specially if it's something that's not such a big deal) but some people are really incapable of holding back

also i can totally put myself in the place of the devs and seeing months, maybe years of work be mistreated and potentially losing you the rewards of all that work feels like it would be really soul crushing

but yeah, there's a pr game involved in all of this, if you're temperamental you're not gonna end up looking the better

That or have their feed ghost written like some people in the public eye obviously do. In fact I might start a business venture of being the mouth piece for small indie devs with a hot temper. 10p a tweet if you're interested indie devs, I don't tweet after 12pm GMT though.
i'll have you in mind for when reviewers say my game's shit

Dr Dogg

I've always loved the 'but it's on the disc already' debates, despite what the EULA state. By the reckoning owners of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon should be entitled to a copy of the new Star Wars Battlefront game when it pops up due to having stuff found on the disc there.

i'll have you in mind for when reviewers say my game's shit

Just send a copy to BioGamer Girl and call it a day. The only review outlet anyone ever needs
though they did give Hatoful Boyfriend a bad time

iosefe

a little over 20 minutes left for this dark little contest.

so...since Dark Souls gets a spare from the key...and since most people are gonna raffle them...

i'll just give mine away to the person who tells me the darkest joke they know.

General Rules and requirements
a joke that would make the strongest of Christians faint
you have 12 hours

t1413919800z1.png
Please send all responses in a pm, and i may or may not share the winner depending on how messed up the joke is

But that's the best time for a meltdown!

zkylon

zkylewd
how's the dark souls key thing work?

how is people getting spares?

I've always loved the 'but it's on the disc already' debates, despite what the EULA state. By the reckoning owners of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon should be entitled to a copy of the new Star Wars Battlefront game when it pops up due to having stuff found on the disc there.
well i think the wording might be wrong that's all

like i'm pretty sure it's not about the contents of the disc but the fact that they were working on things to sell pre-release aka purposely taking content away from the base game

Just send a copy to BioGamer Girl and call it a day. The only review outlet anyone ever needs
though they did give Hatoful Boyfriend a bad time
i don't want harsh critics i want blind lovers!

it's my self-esteem that's on the line here you know

I've always loved the 'but it's on the disc already' debates, despite what the EULA state.

Most EULA's aren't worth the webpages they're printed on. Some foreign countries refuse to acknowledge them as legal documents, and there's been enough shit lobbied against them over the last few years that it would be hard for a company to uphold it in court. We're coming to a breaking point when it comes to them, I think. Something is going to change.

Besides, it doesn't change the point that I'm well within my rights to augment or modify the files on my disc for my personal use. As long as I'm not copying or distributing the material for personal gain, it's carte blanche.

Shadownet

Banned
Thanks for the that guys. I think I'm going to wait on Beyond Earth.

Quick question. Does anyone have any impression on Endless Legend?

Dr Dogg

Totally OT. ORC is a "mod" of Battlefront, so it uses some files from the game. Of course they are on the disc.
If a DLC is already included in the main game, you already paid for that. It's simple.
It's NOT a DOWNLOADABLE content is is already presenet on the disc, since you download nothing. You activate it, but you already own it.
At least WB gave this for free, but now I'm curious on how many DLCs are already in the game.

*cough, cough*

Most EULA's aren't worth the webpages they're printed on. Some foreign countries refuse to acknowledge them as legal documents, and there's been enough shit lobbied against them over the last few years that it would be hard for a company to uphold it in court. We're coming to a breaking point when it comes to them, I think. Something is going to change.

Besides, it doesn't change the point that I'm well within my rights to augment or modify the files on my disc for my personal use. As long as I'm not copying or distributing the material for personal gain, it's carte blanche.

Yes but the buying a licence to play the game and not owning it has never been challenged in court and would more than likely stand up with the barmy IP laws that still persist. You might be able to challenge this in court that you paid for the disc there for all the content on it you should be able to access but that will probably cost you a fucking fortune to have that heard and no guarantees you'd come through without a decent case for what is or isn't you right to access. Base game and unlimited rights? Maybe under Sale of Goods Act (or similar depending on region) as what is described you could stake claim but if there are residual files or content that is not advertised I bet you'd have to make a very strong case to stake claim that you are 'owed' them.

Most likely, yes. The amount of people that does Full HDD backups like that is small, from what I've gathered over the years.

Currently, I'm using the free version of Macrium Reflect. I don't actually use it for backups, I use it to make an image of my previous OS installation every time I re-install my OS, so I can easily grab configuration files and other stuff that is hidden under the user folder that I only notice i'm missing after the fact.

It works wonders for that, as it has a file browser built into the windows explorer interface. There's a paid version as well, but I don't know what's the difference between them.

Thanks. Macrium is one that comes up a lot (but surprisingly, it's really hard to find concrete data on any imaging program that isn't Acronis), so I'll probably give the Macrium trial a go next.

Unfortunately, I can't use the free version since I want incremental backups, but it's not too expensive if I end up liking it. Thanks for the heads up. It can't be any worse than Acronis, right?

Yes but the buying a licence to play the game and not owning it has never been challenged in court and would more than likely stand up with the barmy IP laws that still persist. You might be able to challenge this in court that you paid for the disc there for all the content on it you should be able to access but that will probably cost you a fucking fortune to have that heard and no guarantees you'd come through without a decent case for what is or isn't you right to access. Base game and unlimited rights? Maybe under Sale of Good as what is described you could stake claim but if there are residual files or content that is not advertised I bet you'd have to make a very strong case to stake claim that you are 'owed' them.

The first problem is in your first sentence - "buying a license to play a game". It is true that it has never been challenged in court, but I believe the reason why people don't do so is simply because they don't have the legal resources available to them as a large corporation would.

The real point is that there are certain consumer laws in place. One of which is the "rule of first sale" doctrine, which gives me the ability to resell a purchased physical item (and possibly digital as well, if recent trends are giving any indication) to someone else, as long as I am not personally gaining from it. Also, contract law is a very complex field on its own, and as far as I know, there hasn't been any precedent of someone getting sued for accessing files on a disc they own.

Secondly, there is no law that prevents me from accessing the files on the disc I own. As long as I am not benefiting commercially from its access, there really isn't anything a publisher can do to stop me, and some developers (like the aforementioned Bioware) look the other way or give shifty answers when called on it.

What all this breaks down to is the attempted slippage of consumer rights so publishers can get away with more and more cash-grabs.

Dr Dogg

well i think the wording might be wrong that's all

like i'm pretty sure it's not about the contents of the disc but the fact that they were working on things to sell pre-release aka purposely taking content away from the base game

Well I think the wording has changed with some developers. See Ubisoft calling it 'Unlockable Content' which is kind of acknowledging that you're not really downloading anything but a licence to play said content. What Capcom did was really scrapping the bottom of the barrel though more to the fact they kind of denied it was happening despite being found out costumes and characters were always there.

In terms of Mass Effect where it's partially had files there well it was a bit obvious work was some way in progress and there's even still cut content on the discs but it's not like all of the content was there or even in a finished state.

Without knowing who a game is financed or budgeted I don't think anyone can state a claim as to what has and hasn't been stripped out from a game unless it's super obvious. Take L.A. Noire for example. Those extra cases do remarkably seem to fit into the main game seemlessly, the events get mentioned in the base game even if you don't own the DLC. Then they were offered as preorder bonuses and then a season pass and finally as the Complete Edition. Compare that to GTA IV's DLV which is completely separate and took bloody ages to come out.

i don't want harsh critics i want blind lovers!

it's my self-esteem that's on the line here you know

Well Activision sure seem to be liking BioGamer Girl at the mo.

The first problem is in your first sentence - "buying a license to play a game". It is true that it has never been challenged in court, but I believe the reason why people don't do so is simply because they don't have the legal resources available to them as a large corporation would.

The real point is that there are certain consumer laws in place. One of which is the "rule of first sale" doctrine, which gives me the ability to resell a purchased physical item (and possibly digital as well, if recent trends are giving any indication) to someone else, as long as I am not personally gaining from it.

Secondly, there is no law that prevents me from accessing the files on the disc I own. As long as I am not benefiting commercially from its access, there really isn't anything a publisher can do to stop me, and some developers (like the aforementioned Bioware) look the other way or give shifty answers when called on it.

What all this breaks down to is the attempted slippage of consumer rights so publishers can get away with more and more cash-grabs.

EULA fall under the category of Contract Law and buy agreeing to the EULA you are entering into a contract. That's the law and contract law is a cavernous beast that covers masses and masses of tiny stipulations you wouldn't begin to believe. Yes you have rights as a consumer and some things that are stated in an EULA do violate them but just look at what I'm saying and not go on about the issues you have with EULA's. I'm just talking about access to content on the disc and how not one person has challenged it let alone won this in a court case. Tell me what 'right' that is violating? If Bioware have left half the files on the disc and you want to mess with them fine I doubt EA want to spend thousands to pursue this in litigation but some people feel they are entitled to the content and shouldn't have to pay any extra despite access being closed off, not advertised on the description of the product you are buying and not part of the licence you are paying for.

Anteater

so i'm at the black throne in darksiders, how much do I have left?

game is cool but i think it's not as consistent as i thought it would be interms of dungeons/combat, it's influenced by quite a few games but I don't think it particularly excel at any of them, and the combat is getting a bit old because of the same enemies appearing over and over.

So, I take it this is the Tuesday downtime? (or are they on Thursday?) Is it ever actually scheduled or announced anywhere? I suppose it also doesn't have a predictable duration?

iosefe

a little over 20 minutes left for this dark little contest.

Please send all responses in a pm, and i may or may not share the winner depending on how messed up the joke is

and Contest OVER!!

the winner of my Dark souls token is agniswarm. i shall pm you the code but be patient as it doesn't work yet as far as i know.

and if you guys want to read his, quote to see. but if you want to talk about it, please put your thoughts in email tags to keep the OT clutter off the thread

zkylon

zkylewd
Well I think the wording has changed with some developers. See Ubisoft calling it 'Unlockable Content' which is kind of acknowledging that you're not really downloading anything but a licence to play said content. What Capcom did was really scrapping the bottom of the barrel though more to the fact they kind of denied it was happening despite being found out costumes and characters were always there.

In terms of Mass Effect where it's partially had files there well it was a bit obvious work was some way in progress and there's even still cut content on the discs but it's not like all of the content was there or even in a finished state.

Without knowing who a game is financed or budgeted I don't think anyone can state a claim as to what has and hasn't been stripped out from a game unless it's super obvious. Take L.A. Noire for example. Those extra cases do remarkably seem to fit into the main game seemlessly, the events get mentioned in the base game even if you don't own the DLC. Then they were offered as preorder bonuses and then a season pass and finally as the Complete Edition. Compare that to GTA IV's DLV which is completely separate and took bloody ages to come out.
just trying to think what gets people upset here (not really something that's affected me in particular but i rarely get worked up about these things)

there are very blatant cases like the me3 dude in which you can totally tell they're holding stuff for ransom just to boost preorder sales. i totally agree with anyone that's angered by that, it's insulting and just plain evil.

in cases where it's more debatable, like cut content becoming dlc (happened to new vegas for instance), i don't think most people have a problem with it

but you know i can't blame most people for getting pissed off after publishers have treated them like idiots for so long. not even talking the legal or ownership or license stuff cos i don't know anything about that, just what feels right/wrong to me

Well Activision sure seem to be liking BioGamer Girl at the mo.
i have no idea what this site is dude :p

You really shouldn't, dude had been acting like an asshole for quite a long time.
well i i certainly don't feel anything but sad when reading people thinking about killing themselves or feeling like their dreams are shattered, assholes or not

i feel sympathy for the phil fishes of the world, they're mostly victims of themselves and playing along with the internet. the internet's also full of jerks that risk very little for their "jerkhood", while these guys say something they regret and suddenly their careers are ruined. in some cases it's their lives and get death threats, etc.

so yeah for sure i feel for the guy, sucks it had to go this way

Anteater

Darksiders 2 was simply too long and uninspired. I loved Darksiders 1, I loved the story, the main character, the level design.
I hate the sequel because is just bland, there's not a story at all, all the dungeonslook the same.

I'm playing 1, but yea the dungeons are pretty decent, but I think so far the first dungeon was probably the best one, even though it's a bit long, outside of that the game has a few sections i didn't like, it feels like they are trying a bunch of different things to see what sticks, but overall it's pretty enjoyable.

I actually played 2 first but stopped after a dungeon because I didn't like the rpg elements. I'll get back to it after I finish 1 as I really adore the combat in 2.

What's the overall impression on Race the Sun?

I really like it.

-New regions and leaderboards daily.
-Armageddon mode which is hard
-Good mod support with some interesting maps
-Varying degrees of difficulty in the challenges that you have to complete to lvl up
-Good range of powerups that you unlock to help you progress further in regions.
-Simple art style
-Works flawlessly on my laptop/toaster (1.30ghz, 4gb RAM, Intel IG)

Only things that I don't like are the decals look out of the place and don't seem to do anything bar cosmetics and the current lvl cap is 25 that you get to in a few hours. The devs plan to increase the cap at some point though.

zkylon

zkylewd
Feel bad for everyone else who worked on that game instead
read my previous post if you want but i can for sure sympathize with the feeling of "i wanna kill this person" when you put a lot of work into something and get screwed.

like this wasn't a death threat, this was a stupid guy venting on the wrong place

edit: apparently a lot more stuff happened later i haven't been keeping up with. the whole thing sucks for everyone involved, devs, players, valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom