• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to play Evil Within PS4 on a store today. Holy crap that was terrible. Blurry as shit, low resolution(apart from the lightning, which was nice, it looked like a PS3 game), lots of framerate drops. And the damn camera is terrible. Why the hell does the protagonist take like half of the screen when you are in more closed areas?

"Cinematic Experience™"

Zafir

Yeah, EL's combat is a real drag. It just makes me want to play Age of Wonders 3 or Civ... And unfortunately in EL autoresolve isn't an option as it is highly suicidal.

Hopefully the devs patch it and make it better - or at least faster - somehow.

I dunno if they will. The combat is the same as it was at the start of early access. I was really hoping they'd work on it, but it doesn't seem like they have much at all.

Edit: For anyone who backed Kingdom Come at the Baron+ tiers, the technical alpha is now available! 2.4gb download.

Jawmuncher

Im so glad I bought Evil Within on PC.
Even though I stuck with the 30FPS it stayed constant aside from a few very rare dips.
Everything else was great though and using the FOV fix was excellent.
Honestly think They did that because it helped performance on the consoles.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Zafir, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zafir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Endless Legend -- MB-8AB02857394F02CA - Taken by Copons. 76 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sniper Elite 3 -- MB-9D7562B9AD139ABA - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 61 entrants total.

t1414071157z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm getting ready to start streaming some Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor over on my Twitch channel to make sure everything is set up for my 24 hour stream on Saturday.

Feel free to pop in and let me know if everything is working correctly in the chat.

Haunted

I'm getting ready to start streaming some Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor over on my Twitch channel to make sure everything is set up for my 24 hour stream on Saturday.

Feel free to pop in and let me know if everything is working correctly in the chat.
Preparation for Extra Life? Nice. Best of luck to you (and everyone else) doing stream marathons. :)

Tellaerin

Risk of Rain just got the new update!1!!!!

2 new classes added, game is running on a new engine so it should have better performance, new items and new challenges added.

http://riskofraingame.com/risk-of-rain-patch-v1-2-0/

It also added a slew of bugs and other issues and broke WinXP compatibility for the unfortunate folks who haven't been able to upgrade (and from the number of comments, there are more of those out there than you might think). It's great that they're still updating and adding content, but I think it could've used some more time in the oven.

Haunted

GeForce Game Ready Driver For Civilization: Beyond Earth & Lords Of The Fallen Available Now: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-344-48-whql-driver-released

Is this the new trend of drivers? "GeForce Game Ready Drivers"?
Honestly, they're the same fucking driver updates as usual, but it seems like marketing has decided it's snazzier to attach upcoming/just released games to the description to make them sound more exciting.

Risk of Rain just got the new update!1!!!!

2 new classes added, game is running on a new engine so it should have better performance, new items and new challenges added.

http://riskofraingame.com/risk-of-rain-patch-v1-2-0/
!

Increasing performance sounds good, I've had the game tank to single digits often in the final level (unacceptable). Will definitely check it out.

I dunno if they will. The combat is the same as it was at the start of early access. I was really hoping they'd work on it, but it doesn't seem like they have much at all.

Oh. That's really a shame.

Having not looked into EL before purchasing, I honestly expected an Age of Wonders-style battlemap for the combat... so it was a little weird to see "world combat map" that appears. The current system has an attempt at depth, but lacks solid mechanics to make it tactical and fun. The worst part is that elevation and movement cost/pathing are very difficult to discern at a glance, leading to unexpected actions.

The combat seems OK at first, but once you get higher techs it becomes a battle of the sponges. It doesn't help that the lack of direct control leads to unpredictable or erratic actions by some units. Especially egregious is the Proliferator (Necrophage Support) attack, which is used to parasite enemies, oftentimes targetting allies for no effect at all.

Honestly, I don't know why AMPLITUDE has such trouble developing combat systems... neither the player nor the AI benefit from the current set-up. Both Endless Legend and Endless Space have had less-than-desirable combat, but at least in ES the combat was designed for speedy resolution. Bummer.

EL is still fun, though, in case anyone was wondering. AMPLITUDE is commited to further development of the game, so it will only get better over time. It just isn't quite there yet.

Nice that it got updated, but it appears they still haven't added proper controller support. I was hoping they would finally fix that.

I didn't tried it with a controller but looks like you still need to use a mouse on the main menu.

It also added a slew of bugs and other issues and broke WinXP compatibility for the unfortunate folks who haven't been able to upgrade (and from the number of comments, there are more of those out there than you might think). It's great that they're still updating and adding content, but I think it could've used some more time in the oven.

I agree, using the custom scaling value that I was using before causes the game to bug and appear nothing on the screen.

!

Increasing performance sounds good, I've had the game tank to single digits often in the final level (unacceptable). Will definitely check it out.

From the little I played the performance is really improved, still need to reach the last level and make a ton of mobs spawn to see how much it improved.

Asscreed: Unity system requirement
- OS: Windows® 7 SP1, Windows® 8/8.1 (Only 64-bit supports)

- CPU:
Minimum - Intel Core® i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or above
Recommended - Intel Core® i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or above

- RAM:
Minimum - 6GB or above
Recommended - 8GB or above

- GPU:
Minimum - NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 680 or AMD Radeon HD 7970 or above
Graphic Memory minimum - 2GB

Recommended - NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X or above
Graphic Memory Recommended - 3 GB

- Sound Card: DX9.0c-compatible

- HDD: above 50 GB

- Multiplayer: 256 kbps Upload bandwidth or Higher
Poor Shadownet.

in my opinion once windows stops supporting it

you give up hope on anyone else doing it

upgrade your shit

according to steam its less than 5 percent of the userbase

maybe just have the old build that you can opt into for those people if they want it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Poor me (7950). I'm hoping those recs are overblown, though.

Possibly for system RAM, but assuming "recommended" means "max settings", the rest sound reasonable. Watch Dogs definitely requires 3GB VRAM for ultra textures.

Im_Special

Is anyone else having problems with writing reviews for games? I've been trying to submit one for days now but I keep getting an error message saying to try again later.

Miguel81

Possibly for system RAM, but assuming "recommended" means "max settings", the rest sound reasonable. Watch Dogs definitely requires 3GB VRAM for ultra textures.

Did you get your 970(s) yet? I might delay my playthrough of Unity till I upgrade my gpu.

Khronico

Well. I've got first hand experience on SE3. I saw endless legend described as Civ in a fantasy world. I have yet to verify that claim
it's a fantastic game. I was doing nightly matches with a friend a few weeks ago and it's by far the most fun I've had with a 4x game. Every race plays completely different, the artstyle and graphics are gorgeous and the combat is pretty good. What's neat is that every race has a main quest that you can do that spans usually the entire game; it's a neat diversion to do if your currently stalemated or just waiting for research/building. I played the roving traders which are the economic victory race, and it's an incredibly fun way to play that game. You can't declare war as roving traders since it's 'bad for business', so I was sitting on massive stockpiles of dust (currency) and precious resources and just bribing/manipulating every side against each other to gain profit. What's really cool is you can hire merc armies and set them as a neutral, flagless army and wreak havoc on enemy territory without them even knowing it was you (which I did alot =P). The only thing I don't like is some mechanics are never explained so you have to rely on user guides to understand some important stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Did you get your 970(s) yet?

I wish I got 1 980 instead of going for 2 970s myself, only because my second refuses to arrive and the "new rig" buzz is wearing out fast. That and SLI still seems finicky from what I read here and there. should have just gotten that 980 and not worry about it anymore for the next 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom