• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
What do you guys think of Bundle Star's Lord of the Rings Bundle? Good? Bad?

I bought it. I only needed Lego Hobbit (and DLCs), I already sold LEgo Lord of the Rings. If you need War in the North and Guardians of Middle-Earth and (DLCs) let me know.

Recommended - NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X or above
Graphic Memory Recommended - 3 GB

Jesus my GPU can't even reach recommended anymore... fuck me.

Ventara

Man, it sucks that my GTX770 isn't enough to meet the recommended settings for Unity. I bought it this year and was planning to use it for a few years, lol.

I bought it. I only needed Lego Hobbit (and DLCs), I already sold LEgo Lord of the Rings. If you need War in the North and Guardians of Middle-Earth and (DLCs) let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I still need to decide whether I want to buy this. I kinda want to play a Lego game, but at the same time, I don't feel a strong urge to. I don't want to add it to my backlog, especially for $10.

Hristi

Jesus my GPU can't even reach recommended anymore... fuck me.

Mine too. My poor ol 770..

jblank83

its probably mordor or beyond earth since they were by far the 2 biggest voted while it was still legit for a bit

But why not both?

In reality, I'd have a tough time recommending Mordor. It's amusing enough to keep playing, but I'm actually bored with it after 10 hours. Combat is not even close to Batman's level. There's not much to do in the world except kill orcs, which is very easy. Nemesis system is actually not that deep. In fact, it's somewhat thin. People say it gets better and better but so far it's just more and more of the same (killing orcs and some weak story missions). While the game may take a radical turn in another 10 hours, I'm not expecting much.

I know many disagree with me, and I myself am not that excited about Beyond Earth, but if I had to do it over I might change my own purchase decision from Mordor to BE.

Then again, Civ 5 was very vanilla, feature lacking, and imbalanced on release. So I'm not overly confident that BE will be well balanced and feature packed on release. It's just around the corner, though, so no harm waiting to see how it is.

Shadownet

Banned
Can we just hold hands and hope that it was a misprint?

Edit: So GMG sent me another coupon for 80% off XCOM: Enemy Within. Bringing the price down to $6.00. Anyone want the code? First one to quote.

Milamber

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I'm about a year in with my GTX 770 and the new standard requirements are hurting me. I thought I wouldn't see this for at least another year but Mordor and now Unity is already pushing it.

def sim

I'm sure Unity will be a demanding game, though I doubt it's going to lock out lesser hardware than the minimum. We don't know what kind of performance target those requirements are for even.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I'm about a year in with my GTX 770 and the new standard requirements are hurting me. I thought I wouldn't see this for at least another year but Mordor and now Unity is already pushing it.
Standard? Unity is just one game! Mordor runs fine on ultra preset.

Kabouter

Yeah, 770 here as well, this is worrying. Also, an i5 rather than an i7.

Exuro

you can downsample most games, unless DSR does something special besides just downsampling. I played Styx at 1800p -> 1080p with no DSR
Well I was just trying Portal 2 and Borderlands TPS and neither had the option. Just went with CSGO and got a good taste of what it's like.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Whenever someone says Unity without the AC before it, I always think they're talking about the game engine at first.

Milamber

Mordor runs on Max quality (not the one with Ultra textures, of course) with no problem at all.
Yeah it runs fine for me too on Max. I was just hoping my 770 wouldn't have any issues on Ultra at any game for at least 2 years. But already a year and I have to go down a notch.

Standard? Unity is just one game! Mordor runs fine on ultra preset.
I get slowdown when Ultra Textures are enabled on my 2GB 770. Regretting not going for the 4GB.

Yeah, 770 here as well, this is worrying. Also, an i5 rather than an i7.
I thought there is not much of a difference between an i5 and i7 when it comes to games.

I just notice since store is in Mexican Pesos, some games are expensive and some games are cheaper, for example: Resident Evil Revelations costs $899.99 mexican pesos ($66 USD) and The Witcher 3 costs $407.99 mexican pesos (about $30 USD)

It's time to buy The Witcher 3 :D

Ventara

Damn, so much regret. And I consulted so many people. Everyone said 2GB VRAM was enough and that no game would need more for years to come, and that an i5 was enough. Just goes to show you how fast PC tech moves.

Still, I don't plan to upgrade for at least another 2-3 years. I need to get my money's worth out of this PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
you dont need a i7 for unity, to even think that is even remotely true is baffling

sure if you have a old ass i5 750 for example youre probably screwed, but im pretty sure if you have a i5 4690k you can shit on Unity or any game (for now)

did we not learn anything from Mordor and Evil Within lately?

edit: also that thread says minimum i5 and recomended i7, and yet it lists the same AMD one for both min and recomended, and the pciture where this came from aparently, doesnt even mention a i7

54487A39476C8E0013

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
You mean how devs would rather ship as soon as possible due to time constraints then come out with a more efficient code?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I like Assassin's Creed because I get to walk around in wonderfully realized historical settings, rather than for the gameplay, so guess :p.

Shadow of Mordor isn't even a well-realized fictional setting. It's like if AC3 was just the wilderness or AC Brohood was just the area outside of Rome. They could have made the environments more involved.

Kabouter

Shadow of Mordor isn't even a well-realized fictional setting. It's like if AC3 was just the wilderness or AC Brohood was just the area outside of Rome. They could have made the environments more involved.

Yeah, that definitely doesn't sound like something I would be interested in playing. Bad Zeliard.

Anyway, time to get back on the Beyond Earth (and Farming Simulator 15) hypetrain :p

edit: also that thread says minimum i5 and recomended i7, and yet it lists the same AMD one for both min and recomended, and the pciture where this came from aparently, doesnt even mention a i7
The point is probably multi-threads, the AMD one is already 8 cores, but i7 needs hyperthreading to reach 8 threads, and i5 doesn't support it.

Milamber

You need to download the textures yourself, sounds more like not doing extra work instead of compromising.

What? I did download it. I'm talking about the fact that there is no discernible difference between High and Ultra and compromising that playing on high is fine when you know deep down that your own rig can't handle the highest setting anymore.

Shadownet

Banned
I just notice since store is in Mexican Pesos, some games are expensive and some games are cheaper, for example: Resident Evil Revelations costs $899.99 mexican pesos ($66 USD) and The Witcher 3 costs $407.99 mexican pesos (about $30 USD)

It's time to buy The Witcher 3 :D

I sent you a PM. Please look at it before you do something you'll regret.

autoduelist

So I've been researching these 'endless' games for the last half hour (dungeon of the endless, endless legend, endless space) and... they sound perfect. Are they as perfect as they sound?

I'm worried my poor old laptop won't be able to handle them though.

What? I did download it. I'm talking about the fact that there is no discernible difference between High and Ultra and compromising that playing on high is fine when you know deep down that your own rig can't handle the highest setting anymore.
lol we really should have feel good presets like someone said in Mordor's VRAM thread, just make PS4's settings ultra, then people would praise the game's incredible optimization, and would no longer feel insecure about their rigs.

Shadownet

Banned
So I've been researching these 'endless' games for the last half hour (dungeon of the endless, endless legend, endless space) and... they sound perfect. Are they as perfect as they sound?

I'm worried my poor old laptop won't be able to handle them though.

Endless Space is fun. I would buy that before you throw down some serious money for Endless Legend though. Endless Legend still getting a lot of patches as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After some troubleshooting I've come to the conclusion that it's not a 670 that died but rather the PCI-E slot itself. That's some good news... sort of. I'll flog off whichever one is still under warranty and put that money towards a 970.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That red pixel on his shoulder is bothering me. I thought it was my monitor for a second.

cant unsee. I hate you Milamber :(

After some troubleshooting I've come to the conclusion that it's not a 670 that died but rather the PCI-E slot itself. That's some good news... sort of. I'll flog off whichever one is still under warranty and put that money towards a 970.

first a HDD now a GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom