• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
After some troubleshooting I've come to the conclusion that it's not a 670 that died but rather the PCI-E slot itself. That's some good news... sort of. I'll flog off whichever one is still under warranty and put that money towards a 970.
Now that is a silver lining right there.

Milamber

After some troubleshooting I've come to the conclusion that it's not a 670 that died but rather the PCI-E slot itself. That's some good news... sort of. I'll flog off whichever one is still under warranty and put that money towards a 970.
Are you sure you don't have some hardware destroying spiders hanging around or something?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
first a HDD now a GPU?

At first I thought it was the 670 itself, but both work in the top PCI-E slot and neither in the bottom one, so it's clearly the motherboard being a dick. Judging from recent eBay listings I should be able to make $200 from the one that's still under warranty.

Edit: The EVGA card still has roughly 11 months left on the warranty. Bye-bye birdie.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
christ...nvidia DSR downsampling is amazing

I truly must be blind, I dont see any difference when I downsample :(

Styx looks the same, the Batman Oranges and Mordor benchmarks looked the same, except both ran a lot worse... I need glasses :/

unless DSRing does some special tricks besides just downsampling

Xanathus

It looks like they're running the same graphics engine as Black Flag so if you can run that at full throttle then you should be good to go. PC sys reqs have been bullshit recently.

JaseC

It looks like they're running the same graphics engine as Black Flag so if you can run that at full throttle then you should be good to go. PC sys reqs have been bullshit recently.

Unity is undoubtedly going to be more demanding. Unlike Black Flag it wasn't made with the PS360 baseline in mind.

*sees ACU minimum spec, spits out non-existant coffee*

Jesus, those specs are rediculous. I know I shouldn't base specs going forward on a Ubi Kiev shitport, but its still depressing my i5 2500k + 7950 will likely have trouble as I actually enjoy the AC games, but not enough that I'm happy splashing out for a PS4 version.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The world of hopes and dreams you heartless.
I'm sure some companies do care about PC. Maybe just not Ubi.

youre right, some companies care about PC besides Ubi. Like Activision...oh wait. Ah, that other one, Electronic Artists? Electronic Art, thats it...oops, they dont care either. Well there's your 3 biggest videogame publisher for whom 90% of the industry revolves around, now what?

ah yes Microsoft...yeeeeeeeeeeeeah >_>

Milamber

youre right, some companies care about PC besides Ubi. Like Activision...oh wait. Ah, that other one, Electronic Artists? Electronic Art, thats it...oops, they dont care either. Well there's your 3 biggest videogame publisher for whom 90% of the industry revolves around, now what?

The Indies, of course!

5udrL3H.gif

Shadownet

Banned

ah yes Microsoft...yeeeeeeeeeeeeah >_>

Hey we went from "companies" to a more specific "publishers" now? If you have said "publishers" from the start I would have agreed with you. But "companies" is really broad.

CD Projekt Red is a company and they care about PC gaming.

Deitus

Hey we went from "companies" to a more specific "publishers" now? If you have said "publishers" from the start I would have agreed with you. But "companies" is really broad.

CD Projekt are definitely an exception though. The fact that they own a PC game distribution platform obviously makes them a unique case.

There are certainly devs that do care about the PC, but among the larger devs and publishers, there's little question that it's an afterthought. Still, PC ports are generally better now than they were 5 years ago when they didn't even try do design UIs to work with KB&M.

Shadownet

Banned
Umh...yes and no. I mean, Witcher 2 is hard to run on Ultra even today, so optimization is not a priority, it seems :D

I can run Witcher 2 on Ultra just fine. well minus Ubersampling.

CD Projekt are definitely an exception though. The fact that they own a PC game distribution platform obviously makes them a unique case.

There are certainly devs that do care about the PC, but among the larger devs and publishers, there's little question that it's an afterthought. Still, PC ports are generally better now than they were 5 years ago when they didn't even try do design UIs to work with KB&M.

I understan, I just didn't agree with Rhaknar when he said companies don't care about PC gaming cause thats not true. If it was, I highly doubt we even have a Steam thread if most of the games out there are unoptimized mess.

Omega

Banned
they're will always be devs that care about PC. When CDPR jumps ship someone else will replace them.

no big deal if ubishit, ea and activision wanna focus on consoles. not like their games are any good anyway

Rhaknar

publishers are the ones that have the money and the studios so...what else would we be talking about?

CD Projekt with 1 game every 4 years matters in what sense? You might aswell have said Valve then. Well obviously WE care, but WE dont matter, im talking about cold hard facts here.

its like, when people say "im not buying the PC version, that will teach them!" no, no it wont. They wont make a better version next time, if anything they just wont make a PC version next time, problem solved (for them). And the more Durantes (god bless him, seriously) that show up, the less they will care.

Its the sad depressing reality of PC gaming.

Edit: dont get me wrong, theres money to be made on PC...well, on Steam at least. But there is very little effort needed from the big companies, they can just fart out games on steam and recoup the port costs on day 1 suckers (you know, the Australians) or later on steam sales. Im talking about the business side of the industry if that wasnt clear, unfortunately it doesnt run on good will.

Yes, I am jaded as shit, thats why I dont worry about it really...its a losing battle :/

Am I missing something here? Or are you talking about what I think you are.

I assume he means the russian Witcher 3 which is cheaper and still not locked last I heard, I dont get the secrecy either, its not like we dont talk about that here all the time, as far as I know its not taboo all of a sudden. If he's talking about something else I apologize and he can enlighten you :)

Rhaknar

Where's the link to donate?

here

reminding myself how shitty this industry is made me sad, lets talk about good things. Like, wasnt there a ESRB listing for Symphony of the Night on stean? now THAT'S what I'm talking about

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Isn't the context for this a configuration file for the console version that's leftover in the PC version? As in, this setting is for the PC game and this file is for the console build, who cares what it does.

Not 'who cares about the pc version'.

Where do I find that downsampling thingy on GeForce Experience? Got a 770 here, clean install but don't see it.

edit: nvm, I guess I do it through either optimize in GeForce or the Nvidia Control Panel per program.

autoduelist

Endless Space is fun. I would buy that before you throw down some serious money for Endless Legend though. Endless Legend still getting a lot of patches as well.

unless i'm doing something wrong, they're basically the same price. endless space is 30, endless legend is 35. I'll wait for a sale for either, though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, so much regret. And I consulted so many people. Everyone said 2GB VRAM was enough and that no game would need more for years to come, and that an i5 was enough. Just goes to show you how fast PC tech moves.

The upcoming need for more than 2GB was foreseeable since last gen.

Shadownet

Banned
unless i'm doing something wrong, they're basically the same price. endless space is 30, endless legend is 35. I'll wait for a sale for either, though.

No you're not doing anything wrong at all man. I got Endless Space for like $10 back during Summer Sale.

Lucky for you, I just bought Endless Legend Founder Pack which give you a 50% off coupon for Endless Space Emperor Edition and a 50% off coupon for Endless Space Disharmony (DLC)

If you want it, you can have the coupons. Just PM me.

Edit: The coupons does not expire until 2016. So you could wait for another sale, and then stack the coupons on top and get the game then for even cheaper.

JaseC

The upcoming need for more than 2GB was foreseeable since last gen.

Yeah, I agree with brain_stew in that people in the I Need a New PC thread (and indeed elsewhere) should have stopped recommending 2GB cards for gaming builds long ago.

Played about 90m of Korra.
Wow, really enjoying this game! So far it's my GOTY, I'm sure that'll change once I get Bayo 2, but damn, this is a fun game!

I haven't even unlocked all of my bending abilities yet but I just love the animations of the attacks and just fighting is fun, super simple, but super cool.

Knurek

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I hate it when I set up Idlemaster for that card money, go to work, and less than an hour afterwards click on a steamcommunity link here.
Because, obviously, Idlemaster will crap out on my home computer, and won't progress to the next game.
Obviously.

Yakkue

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I hate it when I set up Idlemaster for that card money, go to work, and less than an hour afterwards click on a steamcommunity link here.
Because, obviously, Idlemaster will crap out on my home computer, and won't progress to the next game.
Obviously.

Can you block steamcommunity links at your work computer?

hitoshi

Have fun

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Book of Unwritten Tales -- MB-FA063C867789EC25 - Taken by autoduelist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom