• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the aftermarket ones are. That looks like a horror from the mid 2000's. I'd expect the box to have an Orc having it's head smashed in by a Space Marine. You know because GPU vendors always marketed their $500 products to a bunch of teenagers no more than 3 years ago.

I really must pull my finger out and go digging back through the archives and research this GPU marketing phenomenon as it could make for a hilarious thread.

Idle Thumbs discussed these on one of their casts.

Idle Thumbs - GDC 2011: Hold On To Your B.U.T.T.O.N.
48:06 — Graphics Card Boxes - There's always a chrome demon

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Skyrim still looks pretty good even unmodded. It also looks very brown and gray tho

edit: is the forrest locked?

redlacs

Does Influent in that Humble bundle have all the languages?

37e8c2cc84.png

you can generate only one

gngf123

So, only one language.

Does anyone knows if it is a good way to learn a language (specifically, I'm interested in German and/or Japanese)?

Unless I'm understanding it wrong, it looks like a good vocabulary builder and not much else. You'll want to use other resources to actually learn the rules of the language.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dat uplay install... I forgot that part >_>

I guess I also dont have origin on this computer yet

Jadax

So, only one language.

Does anyone knows if it is a good way to learn a language (specifically, I'm interested in German and/or Japanese)?

If you're serious about learning a new language don't waste your time and money on this. Try Duolingo or RosettaStone or a language class or anything tbh. Some are expensive options though.

Edit: don't want to get banhammered.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'll get around to it eventually. No idea when that is, of course, especially now.

if it helps

the game has things in place so you don't play too much a day

so like one hour a day and that's it!

you don't need to play all that much!

woulditbebadd4fw6.gif

(It wasn't, I swear.)
its ok most of my reviews get hated on for some reason lol

Has there been any update on the release of it? Last I'd heard it was late 2014/early 2015. I'm hoping for the former since I too can't wait to play it.

not that i know of

Vuze

This sucks, that is not stated clearly in the description, by the way I gather there are better methods around if one wants to learn a new language, I tried out Pimsleur German and I think it's a good one.

Well it says:
f99e180608.png

Think that's clear enough (not sure if they added it between your post and while I was checking the page). Intrigued to buy it, could use some more non-Gaming Japanese vocab and since the other stuff looks nice too...

Copons

Unless I'm understanding it wrong, it looks like a good vocabulary builder and not much else. You'll want to use other resources to actually learn the rules of the language.

No, it's mostly vocabulary, no grammar.

Perfect, I'm gonna spare this time.

This sucks, that is not stated clearly in the description, by the way I gather there are better methods around if one wants to learn a new language, I tried out Pimsleur German and I think it's a good one.

If you're serious about learning a new language don't waste your time and money on this. Try Duolingo or RosettaStone. Expensive to buy, so only really viable if you
pirate them

Eh, "serious" is a strong word.
But I'm using Duolingo to learn German for a couple of months now, and I'm finding it kinda fun and useful, even though for languages grammar heavy like German (or Italian for that matter), sometimes I have to jump through too many hoops to actually understand what is going on.

even worse since German feels a lot like (don't kill me plz) Italian grammar + English vocabulary, so I mis-translate too often due to language confusion :D

Copons

... Isn't Duolingo free? I swear I've used it before. Thought it was pretty good.

It is. Completely free.

There's a microtransaction-like in-app currency, but you actually get it just playing, and there's no way to buy it. :D

Well it says:
f99e180608.png

Think that's clear enough (not sure if they added it between your post and while I was checking the page). Intrigued to buy it, could use some more non-Gaming Japanese vocab and since the other stuff looks nice too...

I'm pretty sure when I read it first it didn't say it that clearly, but I may be wrong. :/

Oneironaut

Neo Member
So 3D Realms has come back together, or at least it seems to be the dev team of the recent Rise of the Triad release with some 3DR vets added in who are now working under the 3D Realms name.

https://3drealms.com/

Hope they release that Anthology on Steam soon. So many of those games are ones I haven't played since I was a kid.

I guess it isn't very likely, but there's a chance.
Why can't I buy the Anthology on Steam?
3D Realms have been directly distributing many of these titles for nearly 30 years. We do not have rights to distribute many of these titles through 3rd party distributors, such as Steam. We will be working towards a closer collaboration with many of the original developers to see if we can make something happen on Steam. A few games in the Anthology are already on Steam, such as Shadow Warrior, and the Duke Nukem game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey everyone, I'm testing out some stuff with the "Enhanced Steam Trash Can" which will eventually just be a button on the inventory page that automates the trading process to a bot that automatically accepts the trade (thus "deleting" the item)

I need as many people as possible to send the trash can some coupons you don't want:

http://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=94677141&token=tQVR9bP4

So I can test that the bot can accept these types of trade offers. Thanks to anyone that can send anything!

Jadax

*facepalm*

What? I used Rosetta quite effectively tbh. Passed my optional language exams, easy credits :p

... Isn't Duolingo free? I swear I've used it before. Thought it was pretty good.

I meant Rosetta. Was worded badly though :)
I would edit that ;)

haha you're right. I did.

Eh, "serious" is a strong word.
But I'm using Duolingo to learn German for a couple of months now, and I'm finding it kinda fun and useful, even though for languages grammar heavy like German (or Italian for that matter), sometimes I have to jump through too many hoops to actually understand what is going on.

Well tbh I feel you can't learn a language properly unless you are serious at wanting to. Learning the basics is usually easy, but to learn the pronunciations, grammar and alternate forms means you need to dedicate a lot more time and effort, which usually means you need to get serious about it.

If you just want to learn enough to pick up girls then the former will be fine :p

inm8num2

For people wanting more language packs with Influent, looks like the language DLC have been discounted as low as $2.49, so with more people owning the base the dev/pub will probably discount DLC sometime in the near future.

Dr Dogg

Hey everyone, I'm testing out some stuff with the "Enhanced Steam Trash Can" which will eventually just be a button on the inventory page that automates the trading process to a bot that automatically accepts the trade (thus "deleting" the item)

I need as many people as possible to send the trash can some coupons you don't want:

So I can test that the bot can accept these types of trade offers. Thanks to anyone that can send anything!

This could be intresting as I have my inventory set to private. Sent you all my coupons so let's see what happens.

louiedog

You're going to be rich with Team Indie coupons.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This could be intresting as I have my inventory set to private. Sent you all my copouns so let's see what happens.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

You're going to be rich with Team Indie coupons.

Wow you guys have already sent me two pages worth of stuff!

Rhaknar

the amount of games that neither have borderless windowed mode or worse, you cant force it, is...disapointing to say the least

Maaaaaan, the flashback and nostalgia!!! I used to buy a local PC gaming magazine and the first number I got had Slave Zero on the cover! I was lika "whoaaa, those graphics! Dat mech! How awesome!!!"

Doesn't seem to have particularly aged well but, damn, what a blast to the past. What's next Arcanum on Steam?

The same bro, the same..... I bought this on GOG and it runs well on Windows 7, the only problem that I see is the textures and it does not support widescreen but man!! as you said, for the nostalgia! :D

I hope they add Arcanum, it's a good game!

Milamber

I need the wrapped up version.
I'm beyond confused.

Well, firstly this was an old joke (about 2~3 years ago?) originating from the china weebs so, uh...

Intel graphics can only cater to the simple 3D kids games.

AMD graphics are usually shit on at the time for always getting pretty good scores in color comparisons with Nvidia.

Nvidia is all about the details at the time.

Apple was more touting their retina detailed displays instead of their more powerful graphics chip on their phones at the time. (Look how close you can zoom into these letters and how clean/sharp those lines are!)

the amount of games that neither have borderless windowed mode or worse, you cant force it, is...disapointing to say the least

Maybe this is not completely related to your post, but I want to take this opportunity to say I have found out just recently that when putting -window or -windowedmode fails, adding manually the resolution like -windowed 1280x720 works for me, that's fixed a lot of problems for some games that could not run properly.

Tellaerin

The ATI Mascot Ruby is still the best.

Hmm...

r1m6c0v.png

r2c2cmn.png

image.php

...you don't say. ; )

Character design and animation inspired by Sword&Sworcery really ruins this potential good game.

I'm not a big fan of that "boxy body with noodle arms and legs" style of character design, either. Ugh. Shame, because I love the concept. I don't know why they don't go with character art like they used in the promo image.

Freezard

Bundleovers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Freezard, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Osmos -- MB-425ABCE7D735F6AF - Taken by Darth Kupi
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome -- MB-41E4AEC421805E9B - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Super Hexagon -- MB-085C3543ED7217F6 - Taken by Woody Invincible

Jawmuncher

Well, firstly this was an old joke (about 2~3 years ago?) originating from the china weebs so, uh...

Intel graphics can only cater to the simple 3D kids games.

AMD graphics are usually shit on at the time for always getting pretty good scores in color comparisons with Nvidia.

Nvidia is all about the details at the time.

Apple was more touting their retina detailed displays instead of their more powerful graphics chip on their phones at the time. (Look how close you can zoom into these letters and how clean/sharp those lines are!)

Thank you for being my time machine for the day. Was just really curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom