• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does. It has two separate cases too, which I was pleasantly surprised with. Also, the Wii U uses a proprietary format for their discs.
Sweet, definitely ordering* that version then, I love having cases on my shelf, so it's gonna look super nice <3

*Technically, my brother is, since I'm kinda forcing him to get it for me as a B-day present, lol

Kiru

So now we're villifying Sony for publishing indies?

I hope not. they've done a great job getting indie games out there in the console scene when microsoft was making the 360 a less and less desirable machine for them to work with.

no one forced Housemarque to let Sony have most of the IPs for the games they've published, and no one is obligating anyone to submit their IPs to the console manufacturers. It's often a case of it being convenient for both parties, as opposed to one side strong-arming the other. I'd rather live in a world where games like resogun, super stardust, and dead/alienation happen than one where Housemarque is struggling to make ends meet and not actively producing great games.

I need something new to play. In the mode for maybe a rogue like, or dungeon crawler.

give us something to work with! what games have you played similar to those? That way, we can get to it and give you good recommendations.

AsfaeksBR

I look at a game like CounterSpy, which is on PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android, two platforms that I own, and just wish I could play it on my PC but don't see it ever happening because of Sony.

But doesn't all the "Sony Indies" that aren't made by First-Party studios (like Journey and Unfinished Swan) eventually come to PC?
Guacamelee, PixelJunk... I'm pretty sure CounterSpy will come to Steam eventually

This certainly was interesting. 30 minutes of non stop excuses about why the game ended up being terrible and but he never takes personal responsibility for anything. It runs the entire spectrum from 'gamedev is hard' to 'the world is mean' and not once does he reflect on how maybe he got the planning or budgeting wrong.

I guess it's still cool that a dev took the time to do a post mortem but a little more honesty would have been better instead of a laundry list of how the world conspired against you.

Now I haven't played the game so I won't comment on the specifics but I do feel he makes some good general points. He argues for player agency which is sorely missing in many scripted games these days. 'Walk to the next checkpoint' or 'wait for the NPC to open the door or press the button' is both incredibly common and very weak design. It's not fair to single out Alien for basically presenting the game objectives as a checklist you need to complete, but it would be cool if designers found a way to organically include these objectives into the game without beating you over the head to point you in the right direction.

But doesn't all the "Sony Indies" that aren't made by First-Party studios (like Journey and Unfinished Swan) eventually come to PC?
Guacamelee, PixelJunk... I'm pretty sure CounterSpy will come to Steam eventually

you will never see journey or unfinished swan on the PC.

Journey is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC

The Unfinished Swan is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC

the other examples you listed are IPs not owned by sony, so those were free to go around to other platforms after any possible exclusivity deals expired

Also, counterspy might never come to PC, either, although it is available on mobile.

CounterSpy is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC

Now I haven't played the game so I won't comment on the specifics but I do feel he makes some good general points. He argues for player agency which is sorely missing in many scripted games these days. 'Walk to the next checkpoint' or 'wait for the NPC to open the door or press the button' is both incredibly common and very weak design. It's not fair to single out Alien for basically presenting the game objectives as a checklist you need to complete, but it would be cool if designers found a way to organically include these objectives into the game without beating you over the head to point you in the right direction.

There is literally one scene in the whole game where you have to wait for one person to open the door.

Sendou

I'm not expecting to see games Sony co-developed or funded on PC but it's sometimes hard to keep track of what those games are. Is N++ one for example? I don't think that's the case.

So I just got my new computer up and running and my new card can drive 3 monitors which my old one couldn't do. Is there an easy way to switch between which one steam/steam games come up on? I used to have an autohotkey script that just changed everything over, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way now that all three can be up all the time.

Edit: The idea is that sometimes I want to play on my TV (third monitor) and sometimes I want to play on my regular monitor, and I'd like to quickly switch between them if possible.

Yes, that's what I said. These won't leave Sony Platforms because they are First-Party. The rest, like CounterSpy and Guacamelee, aren't.

Whoops, misunderstood your first sentence. My bad!

What about this Amazon list of games going up for "End of Summer" sale?

I didn't comb through the post (i'm too lazy), but here it is for the more organized people:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/...-of-summer-sale-828-91-titanfall-20-and-more/

they're still selling Ride to Hell: Retribution. I guess that's interesting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

louiedog

Yes, that's what I said. These won't leave Sony Platforms because they are First-Party. The rest, like CounterSpy and Guacamelee, aren't.

CounterSpy is published by Sony. Unless/until that publishing deal expires, it's not likely coming to PC.

Guacamelee was not published by Sony. I don't understand why that's brought up.

Jawmuncher

So I just got my new computer up and running and my new card can drive 3 monitors which my old one couldn't do. Is there an easy way to switch between which one steam/steam games come up on? I used to have an autohotkey script that just changed everything over, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way now that all three can be up all the time.

Edit: The idea is that sometimes I want to play on my TV (third monitor) and sometimes I want to play on my regular monitor, and I'd like to quickly switch between them if possible.

Don't know about quick.
I've always had to set and then change depending on where I wanted to play.

Does that invalidate the point that it is a frequently used 'trope' in modern gaming? And that perhaps an alternative would be better?

I would say it makes total sense, especially in this kind of universe. What alternative you think would be better?
It is there to give you a sense of pressure, since IIRC there are people chasing you.

And all in all that takes like 5 seconds. It totally fits at that point of the game (beginning) perfectly to give you a sense of suspense and pressure.

I would say it makes total sense, especially in this kind of universe. What alternative you think would be better?
It is there to give you a sense of pressure, since IIRC there are people chasing you.

And all in all that takes like 5 seconds. It totally fits at that point of the game (beginning) perfectly to give you a sense of suspense and pressure.

Yet again you are fixated on what he said about one game. I'm talking more generally about how so many games these days keep doing this, and how I don't think it's great design.

Yet again you are fixated on what he said about one game. I'm talking more generally about how so many games these days keep doing this, and how I don't think it's great design.

But he was talking about that he doesnt like it in this game. The whole article is not well written and most arguments seem not well thought of.
I mean he activated a trainer and said "It didnt really matter."

I hate this "wait for the companion to open a door" trope too, but if it fits, and I would say in Alien Isolation in this one scene if fits well, I dont really have anything against it.

Ozium

the guy who made vanishing of ethan carter would rather alien: isolation be a non-tense walking simulator?

quelle surprise

he better go to a doctor to get his sodium level checked

That Alien Isolation San Cristobal mission was horrible, had to repeat it like 8 times... :(

Hope the rest of the missions are not so hard.

Here's an Alien in a girl sailor school uniform, just because.

kill-la-kill-mako-mankanshoku-xenomorph-alien-sailor-uniform-sefuku-tempura.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom