• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
That witcher 3 trailer's music is so good!
Alien keeps getting more terrifying. Feels like I'm in a horror movie - doing all the dumb things that come with the territory.

5 hours in so far. Think this is the most I've ever played a horror game. Most get really boring really quickly.

One of my favorite games in a while. Don't think it tops Wolfenstein for GOTY though.
Same, Alien Isolation is the first horror game that I played seriously, and I'm loving it, also one of the best movie/TV game in existence.

GaussTek

Steam is the Gaming Platform of the Year on the Golden Joysticks awards... it if means anything (it meant a free XCOM: Enemy Unknown to me! lol)

e8pG97Z.png

Kiru

Steam is the Gaming Platform of the Year on the Golden Joysticks awards... it if means anything (it meant a free XCOM: Enemy Unknown to me! lol)

e8pG97Z.png
Ubisoft Montreal won studio of the year. Pewdiepie is personality of the year.... yeah.

Derp

Arkham Asylum is much better in my opinion, but yeah, it's good.

If Asylum is available for a similar price or in a bundle, get that. Asylum is more Metroidvania whereas City is open world, depends on which you like more

Get the bundle. I actually prefer Asylum to City myself for the more Metroidesque structure -- City's open world never really grabbed me in the same way that Asylum's labyrinth did.

Woah thank god I asked. So much love for Asylum. And since I always trust you guys, the bundle seems to be the way to go (i didn't even know there was a bundle, so cheers JaseC!)

You guys are awesome btw. The speed at which replies happen is crazy here.

Vastag

Anyone has been able to buy Beyond the Earth from nuuvem? It doesn't seem to be region locked but doesn't let me to add it to my cart. Any other cheap option for it?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I posted this thread last night... that no one responded to. (Probably posted too late at night and it's just sunk too low to be seen now)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918157

But I figure Steam-GAF might be able to answer it for me so I'll just post the same question here -

The Elder Scrolls is a series that by all accounts I should absolutely love. Looking at it, it checks all the right notes for me but the last time I gave the series a shot I dropped it within a couple hours. I love everything about it... except for the combat. The combat is just terrible. I love Fallout 3 and NV despite their mediocre combat, but they have VATS to help off-set how piss-poor it is. TES... not so much.

But I want to legitimately give it another shot since like I said, I should love it, and I love the "oblivion with guns" that is FO3/NV so its clear that most of the game is good for me.

I'm going to be jumping back in with Oblivion on Steam. Does anyone have some tips to try and help me appreciate the games a bit more this time? Perhaps a class/style to go after to offset how unsatisfying and boring I find the whole "swinging sword in boring canned animations that barely interact with what I'm fighting" combat? Perhaps some mods to help (though I'd rather not go too crazy, for some reason I try and keep my first playthrough of pc games like this rather "vanilla")?

ArjanN

So I posted this thread last night... that no one responded to. (Probably posted too late at night and it's just sunk too low to be seen now)

But I figure Steam-GAF might be able to answer it for me so I'll just post the same question here -

The Elder Scrolls is a series that by all accounts I should absolutely love. Looking at it, it checks all the right notes for me but the last time I gave the series a shot I dropped it within a couple hours. I love everything about it... except for the combat. The combat is just terrible. I love Fallout 3 and NV despite their mediocre combat, but they have VATS to help off-set how piss-poor it is. TES... not so much.

But I want to legitimately give it another shot since like I said, I should love it, and I love the "oblivion with guns" that is FO3/NV so its clear that most of the game is good for me.

I'm going to be jumping back in with Oblivion on Steam. Does anyone have some tips to try and help me appreciate the games a bit more this time? Perhaps a class/style to go after to offset how unsatisfying and boring I find the whole "swinging sword in boring canned animations that barely interact with what I'm fighting" combat? Perhaps some mods to help (though I'd rather not go too crazy, for some reason I try and keep my first playthrough of pc games like this rather "vanilla")?

Play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic to get an idea what the combat actually should have been like.

Grief.exe

It's so strange to me that Bethesda really hasn't done anything with the combat since Morrowind.

They streamlined the system, but that is about all.

autoduelist

'Walk to the next checkpoint' or 'wait for the NPC to open the door or press the button' is both incredibly common and very weak design.

I don't think it's particularly 'weak' design, I think it's common for a reason. Say you have 1 minute of character dialog you want to convey to move the plot forward, so you need to have Joe NPC talk to the protagonist.

You have three basic choices --
1) Allow the character to do whatever they want. The problem here is an unaware player can be far from the NPC, never hear the dialog, and either proceed to the next area unaware, or simply get lost. They may not know where to go to proceed, or may miss a vital plot point.

2) Lock the protag in step with Joe NPC during the dreaded 'slow walk'. Has the benefits of guaranteeing the player character hears the vital dialog and doesn't get lost.

3) Allow free roam. Player character has faux-freedom of movement, which feels better to many than lockstep. However, in order to make sure the player character doesn't get lost, you have Joe NPC stand by the door only he can unlock so the player will know where to go to proceed when they're done exploring.

Of course, there are infinite variants, like having Joe NPC stop walking/talking whenever the player roams too far away, only to talk/walk again when you get close. But essentially, that's just a minor mutation of #3. Alternately, the player can hear the conversation wherever they are, etc.

Trope? Sure, but every common solution is. Weak game design? Not really. It solves a number of issues in one fell swoop, and is common for a reason. The reason many devs use tactics like this is because it's the best solution to a complex problem they (and many others) can come up with to give the player character freedom while both advancing plot and ensuring the next zone is well marked.

Most games used to just have cutscenes with all that dialog, and then you'd have to run to the next section. Joining travel time with dialog conveyance is the gameplay advancement that solved other tropes.

Phawx

Just a head's up guys, buying stuff from the trick or treat section of GMG may offer treats.

Treat! - Evolve Alpha - PC $0.00
Treat! - Nosgoth Veteran Pack - PC $0.00
Treat! - X-3 The Reunion - PC $0.00

Guaranteed Evolve Alpha for the first 5,000

D3RANG3D

There really isn't a way to fix the combat, for anything else there is this thread first post has just about every major overhaul you need.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405321

One note though I would use Maskars Oblivion Overhaul instead for OOO/FCOM etc.

Ozium

Buy Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends October 27
-90% $24.99
$2.49
Add to Cart

Buy Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - Deluxe Edition
Include game and Soundtrack
$29.99
Add to Cart

Downloadable Content For This Game
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut - Original Soundtrack
$9.99
Add all DLC to Cart

1410048023264.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you don't have Deadly Premonition, get it. I have it. It crashes at a certain point :( Still worth it. Yes, I have dpfix.

Dr Dogg

So I don't incur the wrath of Zeliard...
It's a bit bigger than I expected.

Anywho Steamy things. That GMG Trick or Treat selection has some decenet discount but Alpha Protocol and another Sega published game stuck in their at full price. That's a nasty trick alright!

Maniac

Banned
Gaben graced us with a thank you video for winning plattform of the year. This was worth watching.

Man, Gaben looked weird there. That haircut & no glasses.

He shouldn't have shaved the beard, it looked too good.
I'd like to remind everyone that Gabe didn't shave until development of HL1 had finished, and the same was the case for HL2.

... But he didn't do a full shave. Halfway there I guess? HL3 2020? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom