• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

Nice to see Original War getting a recommendation, played it when it first came out back in 2001 and been one of my favourite RTS games since.
Shame it received such poor scores when it first came out.

I know its been around for a bit, but I've been mainly playing Tales of Maj 'Eyal ever since I won it in a modbot drawing a few months ago. Steam says...yikes 569 hrs played, but that includes a few stretches of forgetting to turn it off. 3.49 in Steam. free from the website, but donors get an extra class and a few other things. 1300+achievements, lots of races/classes to choose from. roguelike turn based. very cool check it out. the dev is very active and puts out new updates periodically with more classes and other refinements.

http://te4.org/download

I endorse that post.

Tales of Maj 'Eyal - $3.49 (50% off)
ss_8dc4eab1f17f9a46bf7d2d7cb0c321a9c1f899b4.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/

A turn based roguelike that regardless of the simple graphics has deep mechanics and a lot of combinations of classes, races and skills.

kamandi

The opinion on that is a bit divisive, but I thought it was absolutely lovely. Imagine a bit less homogenous Ico with more direct "puzzle" elements and some imaginative visual trickery:
i4epWNuxPXqPz.gif

I actually think its a very charming game, and if you just let yourself in on what the game offers, it shouldnt disappoint you, even with its minor flaws.

Well, for 3.74$, i guess it is worth a try.

Finally went through the main list again
Only got $13, and now I have my eyes on:

Atomic Zombie Smasher
Ironclad Tactics
One Way Heroics
Orcs Must Die
Splatter: Blood Red Edition
Falllout 2

Decisions, decisions. I'm a little hesitant of One Way Heroics, because I don't usually like JRPGs, but the GAF impressions have been overwhelmingly positive

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Atomic Zombie Smasher
Ironclad Tactics
One Way Heroics
Orcs Must Die
Falllout 2

Decisions, decisions. I'm a little hesitant of One Way Heroics, because I don't usually like JRPGs, but the GAF impressions have been overwhelmingly positive

JRPG? One way heroics is a roguelike and there really is no reason you should avoid it.

Cyrano

Atomic Zombie Smasher
Ironclad Tactics
One Way Heroics
Orcs Must Die
Falllout 2

In addition, buy Fallout 2. :)

Also, Toma, is Two Brothers worth it? It looks both like Secret of Mana and Link's Awakening, though I'm never sure how I feel about these shifting styles games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I thought OWH was a JRPG with roguelike elements

Straight up roguelike, and one of the most interesting ones in the genre.

In addition, buy Fallout 2. :)

Also, Toma, is Two Brothers worth it? It looks both like Secret of Mana and Link's Awakening, though I'm never sure how I feel about these shifting styles games.

These color/visual upgrade games usually arent worth it because they are bad games and rely too much on that gimnick. Two Brothers was very interesting and I am glad I bought it, but back then it was very bugged. If those bugs are gone, then its definitely worth grabbing. Considering the dev is working on a new version, it should be safe to grab it now and if it still has too much issues, just wait for the update.

Someone in the indie thread liked it, reminiscent of classic 3D jump&runs apparently.

I'll likely get it on the last day if it doesn't get discounted further. I got Ironclad Tactics but I've not really liked it. I would have preferred it if it was a more defensive game like Plants vs Zombies.

I don't think the two-way attacking works very well.

Toma

I'll likely get it on the last day if it doesn't get discounted further. I got Ironclad Tactics but I've not really liked it. I would have preferred it if it was a more defensive game like Plants vs Zombies.

I don't think the two-way attacking works very well.

How far did you play? It took a while for me to click once I worked the rhythm of the game and adjusted my deck a bit.

Cyrano

These color/visual upgrade games usually arent worth it because they are bad games and rely too much on that gimnick. Two Brothers was very interesting and I am glad I bought it, but back then it was very bugged. If those bugs are gone, then its definitely worth grabbing. Considering the dev is working on a new version, it should be safe to grab it now and if it still has too much issues, just wait for the update.
Thanks, I'll add it to my list. Not gonna buy it right away, as I've already got 10 new games to play as it is (hard to resist $1-$3 games...). Plus, I think I would prefer to wait until the author says a game is feature complete and won't generally need new updates (though... I did buy Dark Souls 2 in all its buggy glory initially).

So I had never heard of Orcs Must Die before, game looks awesome. I really only play single player in games; OMD2 looks very co-op focused, but the reviews say it's bigger and better than the first. How is the sequel as a single player game?

Toma

So I had never heard of Orcs Must Die before, game looks awesome. I really only play single player in games; OMD2 looks very co-op focused, but the reviews say it's bigger and better than the first. How is the sequel as a single player game?

Pretty sure you'll like the games, I havent played the second, but the first one had plenty of content and was very well polished.

Since They Bleed Pixels has been added, here's another indie favourite of mine, Pineapple Smash Crew. It's 1.99$

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204390/

It's a top down shooter where you control 4 randomly generated mercenary clones, all at once, and you blast your way through randomly generated derelict ships shooting everything you see and using some really inventive and weird grenades to help you blow the shit out of everything. The chiptune music is so, so epic:

Fire in Your Hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxApdRUzoM

Stay Frosty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxrG4UzBYQ

The 4 mercs are your lives essentially. If they die you can hire new mercs after you complete a mission to replace them but your crew does level up, so it's kind of in your best interest to try and keep them all alive if you can. You also get to choose what difficulty you want to play at at each mission select screen. So it's up to you how easy or difficult you want your game to be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game just went into beta, so I think it's worth a mention (that and because it's an awesome game)

Door Kickers - $11.99 (20% off)

So you might be thinking "Why do I need this game if I already have Frozen Synapse?". Now Door Kickers was one of the first PC games I bought, and while Frozen Synapse may be king in terms of multiplayer, I feel like Door Kickers is superior in other aspects. I enjoy the realistic SWAT setting and aesthetic far more than FS's sci-fi style. Frozen Synapse focuses on warfare; Door Kickers focuses on controlled planning and precise team work and meticulous assaults. Go in loud or stealthy, rescue hostages, arrest bad guys, defuse bombs. There's a ton of content, modding, a level editor, a leveling-up system for your squad, and special challenges for each mission

Defense Grid is one of the best if you don't have it. Toma will tell you Sentinel probably. Prime World Defenders seems ok and is 80% off and has a demo.

Thanks for these.

Also picked up Breach & Clear in the sale which I'm enjoying. Only done the first two scenarios but I like the compact, almost puzzle like levels

rybrad

It takes a bit more careful planning but singleplayer is perfectly doable compared to coop for the sequel.

All right, bit of an odd deal, but there's a secret sale on Pinball Arcade tables. Specifically, a launch pack, containing Black Hole, Ripley's Believe It or Not and Theatre of Magic is available exclusively in-game for a penny.

Here's how to get it.

Step 1) Download Pinball Arcade
Step 2) Go to Season One/Two Tables > Season One Tables
Step 3) Select Black Hole (or Ripley's Believe It or Not or Theatre of Magic, but Black Hole is close to the top of the screen)
Step 4) Click on the Buy Now button
Step 5) Click on "Buy Launch Pack"
Step 6) Steam will ask for a penny from your Steam Wallet. I believe it's possible to add a penny at this stage using your regular payment methods. Or sell something on the Steam Marketplace first, whatever works.
Step 7) Go back to the main menu and find your new tables under My Tables (surprise surprise)
Step 8) Play some pinball!

On that note:

Pinball Arcade Rock Band model, pay per table/various prices for multipacks
ss_611aeb5c7388f369bbd0e723f1359580934b2456.600x338.jpg

It's pinball exactly like they used to make. Arguably the best pinball game ever, this compiles emulated versions of various classic pinball games of the eighties and nineties, including some high profile tables such as Star Trek: The Next Generation, Terminator 2 and Theatre of Magic, combined with market-leading ball physics. The pricing model is £4 per table/two pack and about £23 for ten packs of tables. Season One ($22.49/£17.24/€20.99, 25% off) is generally considered the best buy since it has most of the best tables, although Season Three is also pretty good (if by far most expensive, in terms of money per table. Also, it's not on sale).

Toma

I played almost an hour. At what point did the game click for you?

At around 2-3 hours, once I started to play levels for unlocking certain cards instead of only trying to "finish" the levels.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Going to recommend One Way Heroics as well. Was gifted it randomly by a gaffer (Archie) and I'm having good fun with it. It's so simple but it's kind of hard to put down. The name is far more literal than I expected it to be. Died immediately on my first playthrough because of it.

Fantastic thread as usual Toma.

Toma

Going to recommend One Way Heroics as well. Was gifted it randomly by a gaffer (Archie) and I'm having good fun with it. It's so simple but it's kind of hard to put down. The name is far more literal than I expected it to be. Died immediately on my first playthrough because of it.

Fantastic thread as usual Toma.

Your username makes you so likeable!

:p

Toma

First day playing Inquisitor, 10 hours played.

yeah.

Ceebs

Every level is doable on any difficulty single-player. The waves are tuned different for SP vs Co-Op. They usually show up as a daily or flash sale as well, so hold out and just grab the big franchise pack as the DLC adds some neat stuff to the game.

First day playing Inquisitor, 10 hours played.

yeah.

I don't need this...I have Divinity to play soon....but you guys are tempting me so badly.

I don't know many beat em ups on PC, maybe Double Dragon: Neon and while not beat'em ups check Guacamelee, Dust: An Elysian Tail and Valdis Story.

While not exactly what you are looking for, there is the D&D beat-em-up collection. It's only 50% off though. It is an old arcade beat-em-up, but it has VERY light rpg mechanics

Every level is doable on any difficulty single-player. The waves are tuned different for SP vs Co-Op. They usually show up as a daily or flash sale as well, so hold out and just grab the big franchise pack as the DLC adds some neat stuff to the game.

I don't need this...I have Divinity to play soon....but you guys are tempting me so badly.
Good to know. I tried the demo for OMD2, and I'm sold.

Wensih

How is YearWalk on PC? I know it was a touch base iOS game originally. I'm just wondering how the transition to PC is.

I still haven't bought anything this sale yet. I have my eye on a bunch of games, but I'm waiting until the last day to see if any are included in flash, community, or daily deals. I also just got Dark Souls 2 in from Amazon last Thursday, so that is occupying a lot of time right now.

Divinity 2: Developer's Cut is really fun. Definitely worth the $4 it was at when I bought it.

Marlow Briggs is the best $1 I've spent on Steam.
Seriously, is Marlow actually good? I've been seeing tons of posts about it in the Steam thread, and I can't tell if people actually enjoy it or if they're being sarcastic

Castle Crashers is what you are looking for.

Also Oniken is a rad NES game.

Castle Crashers, and Sacred Citadel. Sacred Citadel isn't bad, just beat it a few days ago. I really enjoyed it.

Already played castle crashers to death, Got Oniken on my wishlist, just wanting for that flash sale.

But I checked out that Sacred Citadel, yes...........YES..........exactly what i was looking for. Just hope the RPG elements is what I'm looking for, added that to my wishlist too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

man, i wish dragons crown was on PC, if it is, I aint seeing it.

Link Man

Banned
Tried out a bit of Dungeon Hearts, and I found it to be quite frustrating. The game increases in speed to the point of near unplayability, the tiles you have to move around are nearly impossible to grab at higher speeds (accuracy is a problem), and on top of that, the game just keeps adding new enemy attacks that you need to keep track of, to the point of near confusion. It does have that old-school arcade appeal, I grant it that.

Zomba13

The damage so far...

Q88lwpt.png

The last few sales haven't been too bad against me. Nothing I really wanted, at least not at prices I wanted but this year has had a fair few and a fair few more to come I expect (including UnEpic and FFVII if the win the vote/when they are flash or daily).

EDIT: whoops not the main thread. Anyway, some indies in there. Legend of Dungeon is pretty cool and Savant is super fun although short but has a fantastic soundtrack. I definitely recommend that at the price.

Top Bottom