• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Sale 2014] Indie-ana Games and the Temple of Hidden Gems

The accompanying Steam sale Indie Game deal thread! We are so Indie, we dont even have a header!

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to put together a new one and bump some recent recommendations to the top.

Went through the whole thing. Added some new stuff I hadn't heard of before to my wishlist; a bit simultaneously pleased and dismayed at how many of the old recommendations I already have.

Tizoc

Toma you have failed me.
I Ctrl+F'ed 'Marlow Briggs' and I do not see it on your list, it counts as an indie and is only $0.99!

Atruvius

Bought Divinity 2 because of this thread. Had been eyeing it during previous sales but had not bought it because I thought it would be bad and janky. It's actually great and it has fun quests and dialogue. Combat isn't that great but it's fast paced so it's okay.

Thanks OP! :)

I know it's a bit of an old game on mobile/tablet but damn is Plague, inc. addictive.
They went the extra mile with the PC release by including tons of additional contents, modes and scenarios.

It's a bit on the expensive side though, as it was 10€ at 33% off as a daily.

Edit: and yeah, awesome thread, that's the one I always look forward to when it's this time of the year.

I'd like to throw some recommendations into the list.

10,000,000 - £1.99 (50% Off)
ss_041a94544d530bfb336daeb7179123d8b788d5fa.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227580/

A connect 3 Rogue-Like Puzzle RPG Adventure that will leave you frustrated as hell. Yet, it'll give a huge sense of satisfaction on gaining freedom.

Dead Pixels - £.67 (66% off)
ss_db85f4c26cfbfab7e320334ebdfc5789decc9974.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222980/

A wonderfully presented side-scrolling shoot 'em up, similar in vein to those classic games on the Mega Drive. Developed by a small team (1 guy mainly) from the UK, it's full of references to other Zombie games and movies, as well as charm. Short, sweet, fun.

DLC Quest - £.65 (67% off)
CAD504219EF6B249886AFB3DA1B3CB6B989CE35F

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230050/

A highly aware satire themed game based on the exploitation of DLC. Benefits from being short and to the point. Genuine laughs.

Hard Reset - £2,49 (75% off)
ss_05cd75b8fcce8fc7c971de61484fd404d8863867.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98400/

A very polished FPS with some very impressive explosions. Might outstay it's welcome slightly, but tries to mix things up with slight/lite ability progressions. Great sountrack

Plague, Inc: Evolved - £8.03 (33% off)
C40923EB4E57D8F418F749448197C56CA6C68B4E

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246620/

Early Access version of the iOS game. Create your perfect method of wiping out the world. Strangely satisfying, especially when you can name your destruction.

ViviOggi

Ooh I'm totally getting Year Walk, don't even care if it might get -75%. Also hoping Betrayer wins the vote, thanks to Slender being in the same group it might stand a chance.

And yeah, great thread.

Was Divinity 2 a flash sale? Showing as $8 now =(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| 3. Toma Seal of Approval Sale recommendations |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[*]Divinity II: Developer's Cut - $4 (80% off) ( : Easily among the best RPGs of the past 5 years with a vast world and plenty of stuff to do. Oh and you are a dragon. Ridiculous value at $4.

It had the Seal of Approval!!!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Was Divinity 2 a flash sale? Showing as $8 now =(

It was because of the sale on Divinity: Original Sin. No flash sale or community choice yet as far as I know, so it could come back.

Of course I have to learn about Divinity 2 after the 80% off discount ends. Think it'll be a flash or daily? Was reading through Toma's thread from last year, sounds great. Not many good dragon games

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
anyone know if Lyne is good?

Looks interesting and decent price.

Yes it is, but if you have an Android or iOS phone, the mobile version is the way to go. Ease of access + touch controls make this game feel even better.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh and Unepic is currently on a 75% flash deal, grab it guys :-o

Swapper is 80% off, that too.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - 0.99 (80% off)

ss_58446a98acc94af2fa723d5d7096e2f11fbb822f.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249680/

Marlow Briggs is killed by his girlfriend's evil boss, when he is resurrected by an off-kilter ancient mask that grants him incredible power. A 4-6 hour God of War romp with extremely fast pacing, varied turret sections and other quick setpieces. The 80's action movie style storyline is amusing in a self-aware way and the incidental dialogue during gameplay is on-and-off hilarious.

Toma

Alright, Inquisitor thread and write up incoming. Give me ~1 hour to write it up.

Divinity 2 doesnt work for me on windows 8, as much as I want to play it. I get the Larian logo screen, then a little loading icon at the bottom right, crash to desktop. Anyone else that bought it have this issue?

Vlad

Two games I can wholeheartedly recommend, despite them being a quite a bit older:

Moonbase Commander - $2.99 (50% off)
ss_b34072b3d86daa8846c09835fc967133a04d82de.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/254880/

One of those games that I loved yet ended up being criminally overlooked. One way to describe this would be Worms with base building. You don't have units, you have buildings which fling out other buildings and fire projectiles. Each building is connected to the one that launched it, so your eventually end up with a sprawling mass of stuff everywhere. Watch out, though, as when a building gets destroyed, it takes out any buildings that it created. Great fun to make a lucky shot on someone's very first building and watch the chain reaction take out their entire base

Sacrifice - $4.99 (50% off)
ss_6491ea9b5f6386113394883fc1431abb0778eea5.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/38440/

Not quite as overlooked as Moonbase Commander, but still never as popular as it deserved. A sort of real-time strategy game from ground level. You control a wizard trying to banish rival wizards by casting spells and summoning an army. While the graphics are definitely a little rough around the edges, the art style still holds up, 14 years later.

I'll c&p an old post of mine on Defy Gravity Extended

1. What is it?

An indie game released in the summer of 2011, it's the first and only game by Fish Factory Games. Defy Gravity Extended is a 2D mix of puzzle and platforming, in which you control a Gravitymancer who can shoot gravity and anti-gravity wells, which you'll have to use to advance through the levels. The Gravitymancer is affected by those wells (unless you use the shield), some objects are affected by those wells, some aren't; and you can destroy the floating balls by jumping on them. Beware of spiky stuff, as always.

2. Why do you feel it is underrated?

I don't think it's underrated, more like it's not even rated- at all. Check out SteamCharts. I've seen it mentioned in a few places, even on IGN, but it's safe to assume that two and a half years after its release the game's all but forgotten.

3. Why should we play it?

The game's fun, the puzzles, while not that difficult (I think it can be beat in 3-4 hours), are well-designed; and there's a NG+ with a very interesting twist to the gameplay. Also, it's on sale right now at 0'19€, so it's a very low-risk investment. The OST fits the game fantastically.

Cons: 720p only. You can add "-720window" to the launch options to have it in a window.

It's also possible to edit your own levels, but it's a bit complicated. Levels are stored like this:

v6NiSZL.png

So you can alter them to your liking. I haven't done a full list of meaning for each symbol yet.

There's this "WTF Is... - Defy Gravity Extended?" video, so you can check by yourselves the actual gameplay.

I am gifting two copies in case anyone is interested. PM me with your email and I'll send the gift copies I have on Steam. Please, only people who might be interested in playing.

Toma

Just bought Defy Gravity Extended thanks to the above GAFfer post and the really positive IGN review. Sounds like my kind of game

I had some issues with the game, but I forgot which. Might need to replay to refresh my memory.

I'll c&p an old post of mine on Defy Gravity Extended

1. What is it?

An indie game released in the summer of 2011, it's the first and only game by Fish Factory Games. Defy Gravity Extended is a 2D mix of puzzle and platforming, in which you control a Gravitymancer who can shoot gravity and anti-gravity wells, which you'll have to use to advance through the levels. The Gravitymancer is affected by those wells (unless you use the shield), some objects are affected by those wells, some aren't; and you can destroy the floating balls by jumping on them. Beware of spiky stuff, as always.

2. Why do you feel it is underrated?

I don't think it's underrated, more like it's not even rated- at all. Check out SteamCharts. I've seen it mentioned in a few places, even on IGN, but it's safe to assume that two and a half years after its release the game's all but forgotten.

3. Why should we play it?

The game's fun, the puzzles, while not that difficult (I think it can be beat in 3-4 hours), are well-designed; and there's a NG+ with a very interesting twist to the gameplay. Also, it's on sale right now at 0'19€, so it's a very low-risk investment. The OST fits the game fantastically.

Cons: 720p only. You can add "-720window" to the launch options to have it in a window.

It's also possible to edit your own levels, but it's a bit complicated. Levels are stored like this:

v6NiSZL.png

So you can alter them to your liking. I haven't done a full list of meaning for each symbol yet.

There's this "WTF Is... - Defy Gravity Extended?" video, so you can check by yourselves the actual gameplay.

I am gifting two copies in case anyone is interested. PM me with your email and I'll send the gift copies I have on Steam. Please, only people who might be interested in playing.

This game was a legit surprise, the puzzles as you said aren't hard but are well designed. Nice to hear it has a NG+

Oh, come on, I bought Battleblock Theater last month

Looks like I'll finally get Betrayer.

Everyone vote for 2D Retro, I can't recommend Broforce enough. Luftrausers is fantastic as well

allansm

I thought the same when I saw the discount... At least I already finished the campaign, so it doesn't bother me as much.

It seems my wallet will be mostly safe this sale. For now I only bought the Shadowrun expansion, Singularity and Marlow Briggs and I plan to buy Year Walk, The Fall, Ikaruga, Infested Planet and Max and the Curse of the Brotherhood if they get discounted by more than 50%.

Gilby

Looks like I'll finally get Betrayer.

Everyone vote for 2D Retro, I can't recommend Broforce enough. Luftrausers is fantastic as well

Yes it is! It's not on sale yet, but if you liked Luftrausers you should check out Nuclear Throne. I'm hopelessly addicted to it, and have put in 50 hours so far. Kinda like Binding of Isaac + Luftrausers, with a great sense of humor (made by Vlambeer, the makers of Luftrausers).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
On the fence between Inquisitor and Risk of Rain, one of which will likely be my last purchase.

Inquisitor sounds interesting as hell but might be too slow/too much reading for me based on the impression thread. Still sounds neat though.

Betrayer is cool. Really like the art style. I could see why some people might not find it appealing, but I think the muted aesthetic is well done and an interesting artistic choice. The game has a very unsettling mysterious atmosphere; not exactly scary, but definitely tense

dosh

anyone know if Lyne is good?

Looks interesting and decent price.

Hey thanks for mentioning this game - I would have missed it.

To answer your question, it's quite good if you like games that start off by introducing super simple concepts and evolve into rather complex puzzles.
It's not a Space Chem level of brain melting, but I enjoy playing it.

Top Bottom