• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

I just finished my (first?) run of Hatoful Boyfriend and the end was surprisingly sad... I thought this was supposed to be a hilarious game? :(

8Si50WN.jpg

This is the first in a series of posts I will be making about playing Steam games on a Surface Pro tablet (Surface Pro 3 i7 to be exact) using just touch controls and/or the pen. If there’s enough interest in these writeups, I may make a dedicated thread, but for now I’ll just be posting them here. Though this is written with Surface Pro in mind, I suppose it could apply to any comparable tablet that runs Windows. The first game in this series is Pinball FX2. Next up will either be Don't Starve or FTL.

----------

Pinball FX2

+ Runs pretty well out of the box. Only requires minimal changes to the settings to run smoothly.
+ Can be played in portrait mode.
+ Great for casual play.

- The game crashes if you rotate the tablet to a different mode (i.e. portrait to landscape).
- Touchscreen controls do not have a way to nudge the table. This isn’t that big a deal when playing casually, but for an advanced player, this is a dealbreaker, as it makes it impossible to bump the table to save a ball or to do things like bounce/nudge passes.
- The launch button (which is normally a keyboard key or controller button) is relegated to a checkbox button at the top right of the screen when applicable. It seems to disappear sometimes on its own, messing up chance to hit it. This is important because sometimes during play you have to press the launch button to initiate actions, some of which are timing-based, which makes it less than ideal. It’s also not there to actually launch the ball. You have to swipe to do that. That’s not a big deal though, since you’ll probably be going for skillshots anyway.
- In-Home Streaming didn’t work very well. It didn’t register taps, mouse sensitivity way too high, and the stream started to lag and stutter despite my gigabit network. It could be a streaming settings issue, I’m not sure. This was my first foray into In-Home Streaming.

* The back of the tablet gets pretty hot when playing (as with most games). It could be table-specific, but I kind of doubt it. Disabling AA seemed to help a little, but that may have just been placebo effect.
* 1920x1200 or 1280x800 is the optimal resolution. Makes best use of screen, with minimal letterboxing. Could always go lower if preferred. None of the resolution options were entirely full screen, due to the tablet’s aspect ratio. I suppose this could be a minus, but I didn’t really find it to be an issue personally.
* Disabling reflections and anti-aliasing is best. AA can be left on if you prefer, but I recommend turning it off for performance-sake.

Overall, I found the game quite playable, though the heat issue made me worry about playing for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, without a way to nudge the table, this probably isn’t ideal for serious players, but if you’re just playing for the fun of it, I think you’ll find it quite sufficient.
Oh neat I look forward to reading more impressions. I want a surface but its far too expensive, ill be upgrading to the new nvidia tablet instead. Im sure ill get some use out of the streaming feature once im able to get a wired connection in my room with the help from 1 of those boxes that has multple ethernat slots in em.

Got the free game and seems I already had it. Hope it works, not sure though:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Canyon Capers -- MB-C3D99DD6E543E01B - Taken by bronson

Strider

There is a big update to Dota2. Expect high player counts.

So the Techies update is finally coming out? Yea I haven't been playing Dota lately but that's a reminder I definitely won't be jumping back in until he's not as popular in matchmaking. That hero sounds extremely annoying to play against.

Oh neat I look forward to reading more impressions. I want a surface but its far too expensive, ill be upgrading to the new nvidia tablet instead. Im sure ill get some use out of the streaming feature once im able to get a wired connection in my room with the help from 1 of those boxes that has multple ethernat slots in em.

Yeah they are quite pricey, especially the i7 models. I thought about doing writeups on streaming instead, but ultimately I was more interested in knowing which games run well natively.

Ronik

I just finished my (first?) run of Hatoful Boyfriend and the end was surprisingly sad... I thought this was supposed to be a hilarious game? :(

It's definitely not supposed to be hilarious. Try the Shuu route next, you will be very surprised.

tumblr_mezrkype0E1r87qre.gif

liezryou

Yeah if you are a dota 2 player, i would avoid ranked matchmaking at all cost for a few days.

Otherwise your MMR will go... BOOM!

huehuehue

vermadas

Also, Shadow Complex hasn't aged well (really plain / dull) and N++ is temporarily exclusive for PS4, so there's that.
Did Metanet actually hint at the existence of a PC version somewhere? Last I looked, I couldn't find anything to indicate that it was coming any other platform besides PS4. N+ never did find it's way to the PC either, despite eventually coming to DS and PSP.

I can't wait for N++, spent so much time playing the original in the computer lab at school during lunch/computer class when it came out, lol. XBL version was pretty great as well, although those coop challenges were brutal.

FloatOn

8Si50WN.jpg

This is the first in a series of posts I will be making about playing Steam games on a Surface Pro tablet (Surface Pro 3 i7 to be exact) using just touch controls and/or the pen. If there’s enough interest in these writeups, I may make a dedicated thread, but for now I’ll just be posting them here. Though this is written with Surface Pro in mind, I suppose it could apply to any comparable tablet that runs Windows. The first game in this series is Pinball FX2. Next up will either be Don't Starve or FTL.

This is brilliant. I just picked up the Acer Switch 10 the other day for school and I tried in home streaming and it worked pretty well.

That said, it would be good to know what games I can actually install and play without much problem. Granted, the Switch 10 is less powerful than the Surface but I would imagine I could pull off playing quite a bit of less graphically intensive games or older ones.

edit: you should make your own thread for this so I don't have to sift through this one. I think there are many people out there that would appreciate these kinds of write-ups.

Tenrius

Oh, so Way of the Samurai 4 is coming to Steam, that's a good thing. Couldn't really get into this game on the PS3 (yet) though.

Oh, so Way of the Samurai 4 is coming to Steam, that's a good thing. Couldn't really get into this game on the PS3 (yet) though.

I remember being pretty disappointed that you couldn't kill everyone like you could in the third game. Important npcs would dance away just as you were about to kill them. Looking forward to giving it another go though, imagine it'll be relatively cheap.

Tenrius

I remember being pretty disappointed that you couldn't kill everyone like you could in the third game. Important npcs would dance away just as you were about to kill them. Looking forward to giving it another go though, imagine it'll be relatively cheap.

Yeah, I seem to remember the first game being more enjoyable, although I didn't play that one all that much either. Will have to sit down and play through them one day.

This is brilliant. I just picked up the Acer Switch 10 the other day for school and I tried in home streaming and it worked pretty well.

That said, it would be good to know what games I can actually install and play without much problem. Granted, the Switch 10 is less powerful than the Surface but I would imagine I could pull off playing quite a bit of less graphically intensive games or older ones.

edit: you should make your own thread for this so I don't have to sift through this one. I think there are many people out there that would appreciate these kinds of write-ups.

Yeah, given that it only has integrated graphics and the fact that the tablet gets pretty hot after playing the more graphically intensive games, I'm trying to stick to simpler games that probably won't be as hard to run. However, my end goal is to figure out which of my total games can run on it, including the graphics-heavy ones. Limited to whatever is in my library of course.

Tabletop Simulator Game Night - Munchkin Brawl!

Time for some epic Munchkin fighting!
We are 3 players right now and have free spots for 3 more (3-6 players).
I have a bunch of sets (Base/Super/Star/Cthulhu/Bites/Zombie/Apocalypse) we can play.
Quote this post, PM or message me on Steam if you want in.

If you're not familiar with the game, but want in anyway, you can try this little handy demo and you can read the rules here.
We'll help you along the way too, it's pretty straightforward.

Cheers

Terra_Ex

I don't think any of the WotS series matched 1 for freedom and reactivity, where you pull out your sword and speak/interrupt/kill/double cross people practically anywhere and cause the story to branch as there were so few true cutscenes, but WotS4 is the closest imo. I was just glad they brought back some of the combat depth that was missing from previous sequels. Really looking forward to replaying it on PC though and I recommend all you fence-sitters give it a shot- it's a unique cyoa style samurai game and one of my favourite series.

Cheddahz

Banned
TOMORROW
image.php
image.php

WATCH AS STEAM-GAF LEGENDS GUNSTARHEROES AKA THE HUNIEPOP HARBINGER TAKES ON THE ELUSIVE AND MYSTERIOUS CHEDDAHZ IN THE MOST NERVE-WRACKING CHALLENGE THIS SIDE OF DARK SOULS
tumblr_inline_n9j5eeqzCU1r0208w.png

THE FIRST ANNUAL HATOFUL BOYFRIEND COLD TURKEY SPEEDRUN!
WHICH ONE OF US TRULY KNOWS THE CALL OF THE PIDGEON? FIND OUT AT 4PM EST TOMORROW
57_large.jpg

CHEDDAHZ'S TWITCH STREAM: http://www.twitch.tv/japanesedorito
GUNSTARHEROES'S TWITCH STREAM:http://www.twitch.tv/gunstarheroes7
OR WATCH THEM BOTH AT ONCE!:http://kadgar.com/live/japanesedorito/gunstarheroes7
THE COUNTDOWN:
t1409860800z1.png
about to start up my stream, though i won't start playing until i get an message to start

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

World of Goo -- MB-CDA5EB90B9462C7D - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 2 entrants total.

t1409861035z1.png

For the 1 or 2 people here still missing this.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finished up Stacking.

At first, I thought it was really good. I liked the concept, the aesthetics, the simple story... All of it. The problem was, it got old really fast. It's basically a collectathon for figurines. It makes you do arbitrary things with the figurines' powers, but most of it boils down to "hit x amount of figurines with y power". There are several different ways to solve plot-related problems, and the game encourages you to find them all, but this just gets tedious when you have 3-6 different ways of solving it.

The writing was sort of braindead too. The game wants you to talk to everybody, but what's the point when no one has anything interesting to say, or just says what their neighbor says? There's also no option to make cutscenes go faster (i.e., the click x to go to the next line sort of thing), so I just sat there rereading the same stupid bit of conversation thrice over, waiting for the game to advance itself. Halfway through, I realized I didn't care about the plot anymore and just skipped cutscenes entirely.

In all, it was mildly disappointing. It's a shame, because I thought it started off pretty good.

I'm actually not that big a fan of Dredmor, but I will admit that it might just be that the more classic roguelike game is just not something that I'm a fan of. It is rather charming, but without there being any time pressure (like Risk of Rain, FTL or Spelunky) it always seems the smartest way is to just play the game in the most cautious manner possible. As such a "run" at Dredmor for me involved a pretty heavy time commitment, lots of slow careful scouting and maneuvering. And given how slow it is and how long it takes to finally get into a sticky situation and dying it doesn't have that same "let me try one more run" of the faster roguelike games.

They sent my friend his key in less than 2 minutes

But where did the key come from? I believe Valve have previously mass-removed games from people's libraries when keys were found to have come from other regions and then sold to online retailers elsewhere. Perhaps someone like JaseC could correct me?

derExperte

In all, it was mildly disappointing. It's a shame, because I thought it started off pretty good.

Mostly agree, another problem is that the later locations look so boring and dark, I liked the ship the most together with the DLC episode but the running around got bad. Still 100%ed the game.

We're not really into shady key resellers here. You can also get the game cheaper than that through Steam traders.

Or Nuuvem for the same price and they're an official reseller.

Porcupine

Dead Rising 3 is another horrible port. It doesn't run good even with a 2000$ PC, you can't change the horrible FOV which gets me extreme motion sickness within minutes, the audio is messed up for me and it crashes every 10 minutes.
So at the moment it is literally unplayable for me...

Jawmuncher

So is there anything else i'm supposed to do with OBS?
Set it to optimize and was trying to test a preview with Long Live the Queen but i'm not getting anything.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"Why can't I run Idle Master on my Android tablet? I linked you to the Steam Android client!"

I'll be honest, I half expected that to be a link to Enhanced Steam.

"I downloaded Enhanced Steam on my 2001 iMac, why can't I play any games?" 1 star review!

I feel for jshackles.

This kind of stuff doesn't really phase me anymore I'm so used to it. I just like the "Valve can tell when people are using this because they can see if they downloaded the game first or not" mentality. I guess I used to think that way too, until I realized how small of a company Valve really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom