• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

but blitzball is the worst FF minigame...

dude no. there is worse

final-fantasy-it-was-the-best-of-games-it-was-the-worst-of-minigames-20101222115301416.jpg

iosefe

You couldn't even control your characters directly in BB as I recall. It also had that lightning bolt minigame, so yeah...

yes you could. there was a setting you could change when your team have the ball. hit triangle, select manual A. do it once, it stays for all future games

Zafir

You couldn't even control your characters directly in BB as I recall. It also had that lightning bolt minigame, so yeah...

You definitely could. You had to press a button while playing to bring up the menu and it let you choose from two manual settings. Allowing you to control your players.

Ban Puncher

New Steam store coming soon
Regional currencies live
Nvidia announcing 970/980 tomorrow, rumored prices are ~$300/$500 respectively.
Binding of Isaac Rebirth pre-order live
Evil Within hype getting crazy
FF XIII trilogy port rumors
Metal Gear Collection rumors

Christ and I just finished installing a bunch of 780 Ti cards for people.

Deitus

Talking to NPCs is highly overrated, as far as I'm concerned. Most of them have some poorly translated text that is just kind of there...
FFX's towns, from what I recall were a few screens in size and had entrhalling activities such as blitzball to help you pass the time. When compared to the towns in FF13, I'll take FF13 every time as I play final fantasy games for the JRPG combat and the story... and most NPCs in towns don't affect either.

I'm not defending FFX as some kind of masterpiece of world design. It has some of the worst level designs in the series, and the towns are rather poor as well. I still enjoyed the game, and it had a lot of great moments, but it was deeply flawed as well.

I was just explaining why people perceived it to be less linear than FFX. Because while they ultimately have the same basic level structure, FFX had other things to do besides move forward and kill stuff. Whether those other things are actually worth doing is, as I said, a different story. But a lot of people did that side content, and so from their recollection, FFX had more to do than just walking in a straight line.

If you went into FFXIII expecting side content, you would be disappointed. I was not (having heard all of the complaints in advance), so I could appreciate it for what it was: a game with a great battle system. I also platinumed the game, so it's not as if I hate it. It's just a very different thing from the earlier Final Fantasies, and a lot of people aren't going to like that.

However, going forward, I would like it if they did not repeat the FFXIII approach. Outside of the engine troubles they were having in the development on that game, there's not reason why the focus on combat necessarily needs to preclude side content. They can certainly make that stuff fully optional for people like you who don't want to engage with it. But I'd rather there was more to do in the game outside of fighting, as fun as the combat system was.

L.O.R.D

http://www.*****************/2014/09/17/microsoft-announces-wired-xbox-one-controller/
kDx7Hxw.png

Microsoft Announces Wired Xbox One Controller

A wired version of the Xbox One Controller will soon be available, Microsoft has announced today.

The controller is apparently specifically designed for use with Windows 7 and 8, but requires an included USB cable to connect to PCs.

For those who need to, this variant of the controller will also be usable with the Xbox One, and won’t require the USB cable to connect.

The controller will be available from November this year for $59.95.

pretty nice, but that price is too much

Anteater

XIII and XII both suffer from that really, having to like the combat system to get enjoyment out of the game. I was a bit more fortunate with XIII in that I did actually like the combat system more. The manual menus was still awkward to navigate, but the fact you weren't having to control all 3 of your characters made it less clunky.

In an ideal world I'd want a mixture of the two. XIII's combat system but with XII's gambits to customize the AI on the characters you aren't controlling.

Yeah I'd prefer more customization to 13.

I actually quite enjoyed it early on when they forced me to keep switching different characters and using them (people seem to hate it), I think during the later parts when all the characters join the party, the templates would often reset everytime I switch the characters out (it could be that I was doing something wrong), so I ended up sticking to one group which made it much more boring for me.

FF X can't be the worst.

It had Blitz Ball.

I hate that game

I played it for 8hrs straight for some limit break items or something

Regional currencies live

no shit?

I'll have to see how the benches are and if it's worth flipping my 290x

autoduelist

I had no idea FF discussions even consumed PC threads.

Count me among the lovers of FFXIII. Sure, the plot is nonsensical. Sure, the combat system takes hours too long to fully open up. But... that combat system is god tier. It's just brilliant, evolving turn based into some new and beautiful.

If you've ever felt turn based combat often runs into the issue of becoming rote... whether a game ends up just being 'attack attack attack heal' or otherwise being obvious 'hit the ice golem with fire, hit the fire dragon with ice', FFXIII automates the obvious while moving the player role up a level. Characters are smart enough to know what to do (even discovering strengths/weaknesses of monsters over time)... and instead, the player controls character roles (telling a character when to shift from attacking to buffing, for example) and the characters act accordingly. It's streamlined yet tactical, a fluid, natural evolution to turn based systems. It's got it's flaws (a few oddities in actions, monster discovery should have been deeper) but overall it was a really solid idea.

It just took way too long before you had all the characters and options at your disposal.

FF13 is linear, just because by Ch. 11 it gives you a big area to explore, that just becomes sidequests or diversion from the main objective/plot. If you follow the main path to beat the game you can skip these diversions, which in the end have no offect on the overall major plot.

I don't know that this is a fair definition of 'linear' in terms of gaming. This would be true of most jrpgs -- sidequests are almost always skippable by definition (unless grinding is required) and there are rarely branching plots. Even most open world games have a 'linear' path through them... it's just full of other things to do. Just like Chapter 11.

Granted, the first ten chapters are a tunnel. Didn't bother me too much because I'm not a fan of town exploration (finding every npc to say nothing important, looking in bedroom chests, etc, does nothing for me).

Parsnip

A lot of FF games appear to be very polarizing, who knew.

I loved Blitzball. It's the best thing about FF10. It's still not as good as Triple Triad though, but it's pretty good.
The second best thing is that I'm the Grand Maester of Yevon and spiritual leader of Spira.

Ozium

$17 for Civ 5 complete surely we can go cheaper...

side note: is there any reason to play Tropico 3 vanilla or is it best to just start w/ Absolute Power.. I know you can play the original campaign in AP but it will have the new buildings and what not.. does this matter?

Arthea

I got it from ... earlier today

you should edit out that link, it's not authorized retailer.

A lot of FF games appear to be very polarizing, who knew.

I loved Blitzball. It's the best thing about FF10. It's still not as good as Triple Triad though, but it's pretty good.
The second best thing is that I'm the Grand Maester of Yevon and spiritual leader of Spira.

you are already dead.jpg
it's actually a real spoiler, please don't read it if you plan to play FFX

But why? Wireless ones work with a micro-usb cable already. Give us a wireless dongle god damnit.

Edit: Wait, you can even disconnect the cable? Is this just a wireless controller with a cable included? wtf
Probably because a lot of people don't know that it's already compatible with PC, so MS did a repackage to sell the product.

Rudakus

FF12 is the game with brilliant structure and a really cool world with a lot of exploration, I think people didn't like it because

- You set up AIs so your team mates are often "automated", but you could actually set up just basic functions and micromanage them, it's a bit similar to dragon age origins's system.
- Too many dungeon crawling with not much reward in terms of story but I feel that they're fun to go through (it did get old towards the end especially with the weirder dungeons)
- People didn't like the protagonist, but the other characters are cool, I think it has some of the most likeable characters in the series
- People didn't like the story, it was kind of rushed.
- All characters turned out the same (which might've been fixed with the zodiac job version from japan)

I think the problem was mostly about the plot and the fact that people didn't like the game "playing itself", I quite like the direction of the game and much prefer it over ff13's combat and I actually think you have more control over the commands than 13. It's not perfect but it has a great direction and I think the long development time really kind of ruined it and it could've been something much more if not for all the development problems.

I have yet to play 12 I hope I can correct that some time in the future.

Zafir

You could also just hide behind the goal with the ball and no one would try to tackle you. I loved BB but it had some serious issues.

Oh definitely, the AI was terrible. You can completely abuse the AI to win games easily, even that Luca one which you aren't even meant to win. However, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it despite that. It's just a shame they never fixed those issues in the remaster. Not that I expected them to.

But why? Wireless ones work with a micro-usb cable already. Give us a wireless dongle god damnit.

Edit: Wait, you can even disconnect the cable? Is this just a wireless controller with a cable included? wtf

I dont get it either. I'm guessing that they just want to release a package that explicitly states that the controller works on PCs now, but otherwise it's the same thing as the current xbone controller, no?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
reposting

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (davepoobond, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-A581DC5184CFC8D8 - Taken by AHA-Lambda. 2 entrants total.

t1410934581z1.png

FF12 is the game with brilliant structure and a really cool world with a lot of exploration, I think people didn't like it because

- You set up AIs so your team mates are often "automated", but you could actually set up just basic functions and micromanage them, it's a bit similar to dragon age origins's system.
- Too many dungeon crawling with not much reward in terms of story but I feel that they're fun to go through (it did get old towards the end especially with the weirder dungeons)
- People didn't like the protagonist, but the other characters are cool, I think it has some of the most likeable characters in the series
- All characters turned out the same (which might've been fixed with the zodiac job version from japan)

I think the problem was mostly about the plot and the fact that people didn't like the game "playing itself", I quite like the direction of the game and much prefer it over ff13's combat and I actually think you have more control over the commands than 13. It's not perfect but it has a great direction and I think the long development time really kind of ruined it and it could've been something much more if not for all the development problems.

It might be the only good Star Wars RPG if you don't count KOTOR!

Amazing game, would replay it in HD any second.

I dont get it either. I'm guessing that they just want to release a package that explicitly states that the controller works on PCs now, but otherwise it's the same thing as the current xbone controller, no?

Yep, it's exactly the same. Although I'm pretty sure they did the same thing for the 360. Seems a tad silly but whatever.

Turfster

For the people asking about Civ 4 earlier, Gamersgate is doing a Civilization day, up to 75% off
They're also doing 75% off the Hitman games. Only Absolution is a Steam key, though.

Okay, going to repeat this for the European evening crowd. (Probably the last time, I swear)
My friend's store went kaput and he's got some non-returnable stock left. He wants to try and recoup his losses on them, so he's letting them go cheap.
I said I'd see if people were interested, so I'm offering the opportunity to my SteamGAF friends. Quote to see the rest.

Regional currencies live
NO WAY! 970 for 300$. 770 cost ~300€ right now, shortly before the new ones arrive. I'd have guessed for the new cards to be more expensive.
Oh man, so excited how 960Ti will be priced then. 230€ would be awesome :eek:

Haha, either the news or the deal or both are retarded.

W need the driver sthat will enable triggers impulse rather than bulsshiting us with such deal which doesn't bring anything.

Dolor

Regional currencies live

I thought it was $400 and $600, but I hope you're right.

I wish more games did this. This was one of my favorite parts of FF12 and DA:O.

I mean that they released a 360 controller with a Wired Controller for Windows box. It was the exact same controller but it said for windows on it.

Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JU0JSK/ - See!

It is a fake one, in fact , nowadays only fake xbox 360 controllers exist on the market (I got fooled a week ago and they sold me a falke used xbox 360 wired controller). The only genuine 360 controller now is the one you get with the console (or from Microsoft themselves). If someone is smart, he would buy an Bone controller now for his PC (or console), cus the fake ones are already coming.

NO WAY! 970 for 300$. 770 cost ~300€ right now, shortly before the new ones arrive. I'd have guessed for the new cards to be more expensive.
Oh man, so excited how 960Ti will be priced then. 230€ would be awesome :eek:

I thought it was $400 and $600, but I hope you're right.

Pricing rumors are all over the place. One had the 980 at €600 and the 970 at €400, but a newer on had them at the price Grief said. Sounds way too good. Might end up in between with the 970 being 350-400$ and the 980 ~500$. Who knows.

970 at 300$ would be crazy as hell!

Qvoth

so steam accepts indonesian rupiah now...
and our games are close to 50% cheaper when converted to USD, damn valve you so crazy

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
so steam accepts indonesian rupiah now...
and our games are close to 50% cheaper when converted to USD, damn valve you so crazy

They've just switched to Singapore Dollars for me to. No more USD. Not too sure whether things are cheaper but it seems like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom