• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

not that I can see, but I think we can expect those to pop up in B/S/T in the nearest future, games I mean, not AMD codes, those are to expire soon anyway.

I think we are used to not getting any good deals.
it still hurts a little

If the offers are to expire soon, the price should better be knocked off to some fairer amounts in the B/S/T. $5 is already a lot for a $0.33 dollar original deal, so $15 is way too much.

liezryou

If i actually played any games other then dota... I might be interested in buying a code for 15$. But as of right now... back to dota.

Shadownet

Banned
So I think I will have about a dozen codes. I will do All Alien, All Sniper Elite 3, and for the 3rd games.

I will do half Saints Row IV, about half Banner Saga and maybe 2 copies of Murdered.

Sounds good?
--------

Have anyone played Thief? I heard it was bad, But I kinda wanna get it. I might get myself a copy of Murdered and try it out too.

Yeah, for sure. But obviously if they're for you and you're not interested in them then don't get them. Do what makes you feel good, mang.

None of them are for me lol I paid for the AMD codes so I can give you guys all these delicious Aliens, Banner Saga and Sniper Elite 3!

Deques

So I think I will have about a dozen codes. I will do All Alien, All Sniper Elite 3, and for the 3rd games.

I will do half Saints Row IV, about half Banner Saga and maybe 2 copies of Murdered.

Sounds good?
--------

Have anyone played Thief? I heard it was bad, But I kinda wanna get it. I might get myself a copy of Murdered and try it out too.

QUOTE=Gipsy Danger;128107145]Yeah, for sure. But obviously if they're for you and you're not interested in them then don't get them. Do what makes you feel good, mang.

None of them are for me lol I paid for the AMD codes so I can give you guys all these delicious Aliens, Banner Saga and Sniper Elite 3![/QUOTE]

If I any of them I am happy, especially Sniper Elite 3 :D

pahamrick

Sounds good?
--------

Yeah, for sure. But obviously if they're for you and you're not interested in them then don't get them. Do what makes you feel good, mang.

None of them are for me lol I paid for the AMD codes so I can give you guys all these delicious Aliens, Banner Saga and Sniper Elite 3!

Shadow really does love us.

Shadownet

Banned
Was about to suggest half and half, but looks like you got it sort out.

Winter. I don't think I told you this before but I really enjoy going on GAF and look for your post because I'm curious to see what your new avatar will look like lol. and so far I love them all.

Shadow really does love us.

I'm going to wait till I get the codes for Aliens in before I raffle them off/gift them individually. So please be patient with me. AMD didnt really say when the Aliens codes will be available.

The_Monk

I know what you mean. Keep the fat trimmed.

Helps if you have a good download speed so you can reinstall anything without too much hassle.

That's my plan. I would like a top 10 to be honest but I'm always curious for a title here and there and some of them take quite a while to finish while others have a lot of replayability to me.

By the way, Seanspeed I was going to ask some questions regarding Project Cars and I saw your posts in another thread, same with Mascot posts. I was going to ask either you and/or Oipic but I'm not sure if he's around (different time zones and all that, even if JaseC is here but I heard he's a night owl). Care to spare a minute trying to answer a Project Cars question? You or anyone else, I know there are some racing fans on SteamGAF some from the amazing FORZAGAF too so it would be nice to get some perspective from you and the other sim fans.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't have pCars yet. I didn't read about the intention to split the profits with backers until it was too late. :(

pahamrick

Winter. I don't think I told you this before but I really enjoy going on GAF and look for your post because I'm curious to see what your new avatar will look like lol. and so far I love them all.

I'm going to wait till I get the codes for Aliens in before I raffle them off/gift them individually. So please be patient with me. AMD didnt really say when the Aliens codes will be available.

If its anything like the other Never Settle games, it's usually within a few days to a week of the game's launch.

Sounds good?

Everyone buys Saints Row anyway. Murdered needs more love ;)

Damn, looking at SteamTrades people are asking for insane amounts of TF2 keys for a AMD Gold code (5 is the lowest offer I've seen...). Oh well, I guess I'll just have to man up and move on.

------------

I'm afraid I'm a Borderlands fan. I 100%'ed the original, which also happens to be my most played Steam game (TF2 notwhistanding), and I'm currently 20 hours in the second one and having a blast. Online coop has improved sooo much, thank god for Gamespy's demise.

However, I must admit that when I think coldly about it, there isn't too much going on... You're always doing the same stuff over and over again. I guess I just love the shooting and looting, and having a little chucke from time to time also helps, but I understand why some of you guys hate the franchise.

Patison

Sounds good?
--------

I don't know what we did to deserve this kind of generosity, but if you'll have some spare Alien key, you know what do with it! :)

Anyway, today is one of those days when I really want to play some game but when I finally decide which one, I play it for about 2 minutes and then quit, because I lose interest. Time to go through my movie backlog I guess.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't have the key yet, but I 'reserved' my copy of the Star Citizen ship, thinking it was gonna be for the full game. So I don't really want it and I'll part with it for $5.
I may do this. It is a cool exclusive ship so somebody will probably want it if they're into SC.

I got M:SS just because it is unique.
And not a personal insult like Thief.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
God dang it, it's fully hitting me now that Evil Within doesn't release for another 6 weeks.

Half of that I will be spending in Europe, but I'm not sure if that's going to make it better or worse this growing anticipation inside of me. And I just realized there's an evil within pun here.

Shadownet

Banned

I gotta get myself a copy of Murdered so I can see if its worth redeeming the codes for or not.

You and turfster whom I gave a copy to, seem to like it quite a bit.
----

Also for the Banner Saga indie bundle.

It comes with 2 games. Banner Saga plus either Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack or DYAD.

Which bundle should I get? idk anything about those two games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I gotta get myself a copy of Murdered so I can see if its worth redeeming the codes for or not.

----

It comes with 2 games. Banner Saga plus either Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack or DYAD.

Murdered is worth redeeming. I took the drive back when it came out, here was my verdict:

Murdered: Soul Suspect is detective-ghost story told through the interactive-medium of gaming. Murdered is kind of like a combination between a TellTale game, LA Noire, and Alan Wake... But honestly the game is more often than not more like an interactive movie, and I think it's with these expectations that you best experience Murdered.

Murdered: Soul Suspect tells the tale of a man named Ronan, who at the game's start experiences his own death. He is pushed out of the window by a notorious murderer, who is known as the Bell Killer, who then commences to shoot him seven times in the chest. Ronan grew-up as a criminal in Salem, but changed his ways late in life to become a detective, partially for the woman he loved, Julia. However, he was torn apart a few months earlier, when Julia's life was taken at the hands of a street mugger. At death's door, Ronan discovers he is a spirit to this world, trapped here until he can move on from something that's keeping him bounded here. He finds out that he can be with Julia again in the world beyond our own if he can resolve whatever is keeping him here, so he goes out to try and solve the case of his own murder.

Gameplay is rather simplistic in Murdered. You will spend most of your time exploring around, using your ghost powers, and looking for items and clues in the environment. As a ghost, you can freely pass through human-world objects, which essentially makes clipping a gameplay mechanic, but you might be surprised how natural it ends up feeling and due to some good visual cues and sounds it ends up not looking or feeling weird, and makes sense with everything else built up with the game. The only objects you can't pass through are ghost-world objects (relics from the past which are present in the ghost world, and tell-able they're ghost world as they glow with a blue aura), and into or out of buildings freely (ghosts can only enter or exit buildings through open doors or windows). Other powers at your disposal include the ability to possess people, to either read their minds or influence their thoughts, to poltergeist and make objects (mostly machinery) act up, to teleport around by choice, and a few other underutilized but still interesting powers.

The game splits-up between 'stages' (bigger interior areas usually), and a Salem hub-world. The stages I thought generally got better as the game went on, and Salem was a joy to explore... At first. The problem is that not much really happens in Salem, it stays the same mostly for the whole game so you can literally almost do everything in it the first time you enter the hub-area (with only a few things you can only do once you gain the teleportation power).

As you explore, there's a variety of content to immerse yourself in the world. There's a lot of side areas and areas off the beaten path. You can approach living people to listen in to conversations they're having with each other, made more amusing you can then possess them and see what they're REALLY thinking. You can approach ghosts, and either talk to them briefly, question them about something they're up too, and very occasionally help them via a side-quest to move onto from this world to the next. However, there are literally only about 3-4 side-quest in the game, and there is obvious content and characters that were left around for more side-quests, but were left-out as cut content. Things like items you can observe for no real reason, characters it looks like you would be able to help but then they cut you short from actually helping them.

And then there's the collectibles. This game kind of goes overboard with it's collectibles, but they're pretty enjoyable and expand a lot on the plot, the lore, Salem's history, character background's, additional cinematics, and my personal favorite, ghost stories. Extended from this, the investigation scenes usually have you looking for and going about collecting clues, and then putting together the clues that matter to a particular solution or outcome. These typically were rather simple, and sometimes felt more like sort of mindless collecting to get to the point. However, other times they actually felt kind of rewarding. None were really 'puzzles' I would say, but were a mixed bag.

The only other real gameplay mechanic is demons, which are rather underutilized. I didn't find them offensive, and I'll admit there was a few times when their screeches or them detecting me legitimately startled and scared me. However, there's only one type of demon in the game, you only face a few of them in the game, and their encounters are often brief and they're easy enough to deal with (you sneak up behind them to execute them, otherwise they spot you and chase you down, where you hide in things until they lose interest).

But then this is a game I'd argue isn't really about winning or losing, it's an interactive film essentially, and on that account it pulls some things off really well.

Firstly, the audio design is fantastic in this game. The voice acting for the main characters are all well-done and performed, and even most minor characters are rather well-voiced (though you'll find a few reoccurring VAs). The ghost stories you can get via collectibles deserve particular praise, as the acting done here really adds a lot to the story, and honestly are really well-done.

But it's not just the voice acting. The music is very good too, with some good creepy vibes, emotional melodies, and songs to go well to the mystery. The ambiance of sounds in the environment also add a lot, with a lot of attention to detail to help bring the locations alive. And even the game sounds, for solving cases, getting clues, etc., are all satisfying and fitting.

The story is quite good, especially if you like detective-ghost stories, ala' The Frighteners, Sixth Sense, or the like. While the writing can be a bit hammy at times, they do have some believable dialogue between characters, the story has interesting developments as it goes on, and there are some rather well-done plot twists throughout.

CIneamtics deserve special mention. The cinematography is really well-done, with fantastic angles, focus, artistic direction, and were a joy to watch.

And the characters are well-realized, trope-ish, but manage to be developed and become more than their tropes and have rather realistic relationships with each other. They have fights and don't agree, but come together (sometimes reluctantly), and there are a few heart-warming moments and real development with each other as it goes on.

Graphically it looks good for the sort of niche budget title it is. Some nice attention to detail in environments, some good art direction, and some of the models are rather well poly'd. There's some visual quality dips in certain areas, textures... But not a bad looking game at all.

Generally, I would label this as a game for gamers who like story, exploring, and world-building above all else. Gameplay really takes a step-down to the game's other elements, and it will definitely strike with its niche. But its lack of action, focus on making what is usually the 'extra' parts of games the main part, and just the general styling and minimal gameplay make it lack that mainstream appeal. I'd also say it isn't worth its $50 pricetag, but felt it was worth it for the $15-25 range.

I'd say if the game interests you, it is worth experiencing... Just maybe not at full price. It is different than your typical budgeted game in this day and age, and is sure to find a cult audience. In some aspects, it's a bit disappointing or under-cooked, but as a whole, this may be one of the best realized classic-styled ghost stories to appear in the gaming medium for years. Like the Fedora or not, Ronan is the perfect tour guide into a very different look at ghosts, Salem, and games with a budget.

-MD-

God dang it, it's fully hitting me now that Evil Within doesn't release for another 6 weeks.

Half of that I will be spending in Europe, but I'm not sure if that's going to make it better or worse this growing anticipation inside of me. And I just realized there's an evil within pun here.

Every minute of my day waiting for Oct 14th is a struggle.

pahamrick

----

TFS: Mutant Blobs Attack is quality, a great game. Never played DYAD though.

The_Monk

I don't have pCars yet. I didn't read about the intention to split the profits with backers until it was too late. :(

I have the perception that are more in the same situation that you. While others were more lucky. I think GAFfer Priit got it back in the day. I know because he sent me a print screen of it once just to make me jealous. :p

Ban Puncher

I saw the words 'Steam' and 'Australian Classification Board' and prepared to be annoyed but then I found out it was because Left 4 Dead 2 was re-classified and the people who bought the initial 'Low Violence' version would be getting an upgrade to the uncensored game.

Too bad I already bought the Yank version for a couple of bucks years ago.

oAbaOv0.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

I think Mutant Blobs is a slightly better game than Dyad. Dyad is like a poor man's Temptest 2000 to me

Seanspeed

Banned
By the way, Seanspeed I was going to ask some questions regarding Project Cars and I saw your posts in another thread, same with Mascot posts. I was going to ask either you and/or Oipic but I'm not sure if he's around (different time zones and all that, even if JaseC is here but I heard he's a night owl). Care to spare a minute trying to answer a Project Cars question? You or anyone else, I know there are some racing fans on SteamGAF some from the amazing FORZAGAF too so it would be nice to get some perspective from you and the other sim fans.
Always man. I know a decent amount about Project Cars, but I don't have it myself, so I might not be the best person to ask, maybe? But feel free to ask anyways!

----

Mutant Blobs Attack is a cute little plataformer developed by Drinkbox, the Guacamelee guys. It's like your avarage 2D indie plataformer with great art and a touch of Katamari Damacy, as you need to absorb people and other stuff in order to keep growing and be able to finish each level. There are also hidden stuff in each level for completionists. I enjoyed it, and 100%ed it in 5 hours.

On the other hand, I haven't played DYAD, but I've heard it's similar to REZ so I guess there's that.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Loved Mutant Blobs Attack on Vita. It's from Drinkbox, same guy's as Guacamelee. A bit short, but a really fun and charming platformer. Eating everything in a level feels suprisingly satisfying.

And the end of the game is amazing.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Really looking forward to The Vanishing of Ethan Carter after watching that 12 Minute demo. That was a really well made video. And it looks absolutely gorgeous.

With that and Wasteland 2 coming out (wouldn't have known it if it weren't for this thread's OP, though) it's pretty obvious this is going to be a good month. ^^

Arthea

I wish you haven't posted that, now I have regrets and you are to blame as usual (><)
I'm amazed you missed such essential info, though

JaseC

I saw the words 'Steam' and 'Australian Classification Board' and prepared to be annoyed but then I found out it was because Left 4 Dead 2 was re-classified and the people who bought the initial 'Low Violence' version would be getting an upgrade to the uncensored game.

Too bad I already bought the Yank version for a couple of bucks years ago.

oAbaOv0.png

Ironically, it was Valve itself that gave me the uncensored version; those who obtained all of the potatoes throughout the Portal 2 early release ARG were essentially rewarded the Valve Complete Pack. I say "essentially" as the games were added manually rather than offered as a gift item or a complimentary sub, so Valve could have easily saw to it that those in Germany and Australia received the censored version, but everybody was given the uncensored version regardless of their location.

Haha, glad to see you enjoy my avatar edits. Didn't think anyone would notice them. <3 It's about time I'm due for a new one, lol.

Shadownet

Banned
Murdered is worth redeeming. I took the drive back when it came out, here was my verdict:

Damn, you sold me on Murdered. Dusk. you always write amazing reviews.

I think Mutant Blobs is a slightly better game than Dyad. Dyad is like a poor man's Temptest 2000 to me

Mutant Blobs Attack is a cute little plataformer developed by Drinkbox, the Guacamelee guys. It's like your avarage 2D indie plataformer with great art and a touch of Katamari Damacy, as you need to absorb people and other stuff in order to keep growing and be able to finish each level. There are also hidden stuff in each level for completionists. I enjoyed it, and 100%ed it in 5 hours.

On the other hand, I haven't played DYAD, but I've heard it's similar to REZ so I guess there's that.

Loved Mutant Blobs Attack on Vita. It's from Drinkbox, same guy's as Guacamelee. A bit short, but a really fun and charming platformer. Eating everything in a level feels suprisingly satisfying.

And the end of the game is amazing.

Look like the people have spoken. Mutant Blobs + Banner Saga it is!

JaseC

It looks like Genuine F2P Collector's Packs are finally running dry -- there are now just nine on the market, which is the lowest I've ever seen. The one I have sitting in my inventory is going to make me a small fortune in the not-too-distant future. ;)

Dascu

Where you gonna be in Europe? Passing by Belgium?

Well, I bought The Evil Within. I had already started buying badges so I had to get rid of the money. Having money in my steam wallet leads to bad things.

Hopefully I don't die before it comes out.

Indignate

Played the 2nd episode of Walking Dead Season 2.

It really reminded me how much this game likes to throw fake choices at you. That whole scene with
Carver coming into the cabin
was aggravating.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Intheflorsh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Banner Saga -- MB-871B35F19B5D802B - Taken by Cozmogramma. 18 entrants total.

t1409649399z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom