• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

I totally forgot that I said I was going to host Quiplash tonight.

If anyone wants to play for an hour or so, I'll be streaming here.

Hopefully we'll get to use some DLC questions.

If we don't get enough people, we'll just do one next week.

EDIT: Nvm, I'll just host one next week instead of having such an impromptu gamenight

Aw, I've missed the game nights. I'll try joining the one next week then. ^^

It's shill time!

Buy Contradiction if you like/liked FMV adventure games.
The actors are pretty charming (especially the protagonist, Detective Inspector Jenks)
If you are a person who likes 100%ing games, playing the game without asking for hints will net you 100% achievements very easily.

ExoSoul

Banned
Any other reason to buy Deadfall Advntures and/or Advent Risisng besides the fact that they're on sale?

Saw some talk about them a few days ago but neither seems to b doing it for me, I'm wondering if I missed something.

MattyG

Banned
Just did my first siege in Rome 2. It went... poorly.

Load last save. Auto-resolve battle. Yay, that's better.

That was the first battle I've had trouble with. I just couldn't get my soldiers to mount the wall and take people out like I wanted to. They kept getting bottlenecked and it was 10 minutes of everyone slowly killing each other.

Sober

That was the first battle I've had trouble with. I just couldn't get my soldiers to mount the wall and take people out like I wanted to. They kept getting bottlenecked and it was 10 minutes of everyone slowly killing each other.
Build more ladders, basically. Unless you extremely outnumber the enemy you probably want at least 4 of those basic light ladders so you can grab a bunch of segments, and try to run troops into the capture zones for the gates to take them for you. Also sword infantry are the ones that win battles on walls.

Very kinky feedback. Follow at your own risk. Viewers discretion is advised.

Honestly, though, that is the bulk of the show. I do get why they'd focus more on "story" here, as irrelevant as some of it may seem when you're a fan of the show (and haven't bothered with the novels).
Like how much are The Forresters really mentioned aside from this game? Barely.
With the options given, however, I'm starting to wonder if there really is any choice to this. I'll replay the episodes again later, like I did with 1 only to find that no matter what some things just can't be avoided at all. More like a movie than a game. I'm enjoying it despite that, but probably only because I'm a fan.
Nope, there's barely any real choice in the game, you can play the entire game in silence with similar outcome.

Most gates in the early game can be burned down. Just light the gate up with torches then pull back and watch it burn. You get the option to build siege engines later in the game, though I never bothered with the ram, I just smash down the walls with boulders and rush in.

Sober

They nerfed gate burning or something in Rome 2 last I checked. Either you don't toss torches or something and it's more that units actually attack gates and how they do depends on their weapon type now.

Also it's suicide to do that basically because of gate defenses (boiling oil, etc), it being a chokepoint and towers at the gatehouse.

Get men on the walls, try to kill them, flank with some other ladders, run them towards gatehouses and capture them so they open for you.

MattyG

Banned
Build more ladders, basically. Unless you extremely outnumber the enemy you probably want at least 4 of those basic light ladders so you can grab a bunch of segments, and try to run troops into the capture zones for the gates to take them for you. Also sword infantry are the ones that win battles on walls.

Most gates in the early game can be burned down. Just light the gate up with torches then pull back and watch it burn. You get the option to build siege engines later in the game, though I never bothered with the ram, I just smash down the walls with boulders and rush in.
Ohhhhh, okay. Now that you both are saying these things, I know what went wrong. I think I had too few ladders, too many ranged units, and I spread forces too thin. Hopefully that knowledge will help for the next time. I'm at war with Carthage, so it should be soon.

They nerfed gate burning or something in Rome 2 last I checked. Either you don't toss torches or something and it's more that units actually attack gates and how they do depends on their weapon type now.

Also it's suicide to do that basically because of gate defenses (boiling oil, etc), it being a chokepoint and towers at the gatehouse.

Get men on the walls, try to kill them, flank with some other ladders, run them towards gatehouses and capture them so they open for you.
I actually did try to burn one at one point. The unit ran up to it, dropped some torches, stepped back a bit... and nothing happened. I just figured I needed a different unit or something.

Sober

Nevermind, gate attacking is for Attila. But torch throwing is still pretty crappy in Rome 2 vs every other option. Plus with how the torch projectile works you have to sorta throw a ton before they start working.

You might want to google and see some players playing R2 campaigns but basically what I noticed is assaulting a city you should do something like:

setup:
-line up ladders to where you think are the best points, try not to concentrate too much on one facing, but keep these ladder attacks close to reinforce easily. gates are gamble because of nearby towers at the gate but helps get your men in faster vs. regular wall segments that have very few points of entry/exit
-try to put your better general troops on the ladders, maybe another unit in reserve to back them up
-keep some skirmisher/missile troops with the ladders
-line up siege artillery if you have any

start battle, then:
-run missile troops up, have them in loose and fire at the men in the ramparts. prioritize other melee infantry. it won't usually kill a lot of them esp. if they are heavy armoured or shielded, but it will soften them up a bit. just expect to loose missile troops here, whatever
-run ladders up as you skirmish against men on the walls, skirmishers will screen missiles so your ladder troops don't get shot up or the ladders get fired/focused on by fire missiles
-let your troops duke it out on the walls; this is a grind so the better quality troop will win out usually. swords are better than spears on walls short of vast unit quality differences. you might have to reposition missile troops, get them firing at exposed flanks
-flank on the walls, which is why you want more ladders, so you can either sandwich defending troops on the walls to make them rout or you can use another unit or two to run around, capture the gate or towers to make life easier for you
-remember you can get off the walls at certain points of the wall in case you need to get down onto city level to maneuver/intercept
-when you have the gates or a breach in the walls, you can get the rest of the people in easier

You will still lose a considerable amount of men if you assault a city manually. Autoresolve is okay if you end up hating it after time. You really need to overwhelm the enemy or bring artillery if they have a big stack. That or sit there and lay siege and force them out into the field.

Dsyndrome

It's shill time!

Buy Contradiction if you like/liked FMV adventure games.
The actors are pretty charming (especially the protagonist, Detective Inspector Jenks)
If you are a person who likes 100%ing games, playing the game without asking for hints will net you 100% achievements very easily.
I haven't seen anyone around here that's played it that's disliked it, can't wait for them to do another one!

Vamphuntr

How long does it take to get your steam refund approved? I requested one for Sword Coast legends since it's head start was really bad and I wonder when I will get my refund.

Sch1sm

How long does it take to get your steam refund approved? I requested one for Sword Coast legends since it's head start was really bad and I wonder when I will get my refund.

Approval of it and when you'll receive it are so different. Usually gets approved within the day of ticket, but it'll be within a week after approval for the refund to actually be given.

Sober

Approval of it and when you'll receive it are so different. Usually gets approved within the day of ticket, but it'll be within a week after approval for the refund to actually be given.
So how would this work if I bought something and then it went on sale the next day, or would they process those quicker?

I know it's kind of shit, but Watch_Dawgz is like my favourite version of Ubisoft The Game. That's not saying much since I tend to tap out on an Assassin's Creed about 8 hours in.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Data Hacker: Corruption -- MB-8F2517C35AA025E3 - Taken by bobnowhere
Spoiler Alert Collector's Edition -- MB-849AC8045844EA32 - Taken by gurm3n
Project Druid : #2 -- MB-BEAC15ED34538AA2 - Taken by xGreg

The problem is just that its still "just" a game and the hype-culture made the expectations so high and (naive) people thought "they could do anything".

Well, that and there are several other games by Ubisoft with the same basic template. Ubisoft put their games in these incredibly unique settings--medieval Middle East, Renaissance-era Italy, colonial America--and then completely under-cut this with their now bog standard openworld design and gameplay mechanics.

Well, that and there are several other games by Ubisoft with the same basic template. Ubisoft put their games in these incredibly unique settings--medieval Middle East, Renaissance-era Italy, colonial America--and then completely under-cut this with their now bog standard openworld design and gameplay mechanics.

Yeah, but people should have been used to it by now. But they arent. Before the Division downgrade this year, a lot of people were still "shilling"/hyping that game to be a game that cant even work how they think it would work.

Its similar to this Pokemon Go Hype right now. People dont actually realize the limitations a game has.

The core idea of Watch_Dogs is interesting, it's just sort of bogged down by Ubisoft's formula for an openworld game.
Yea, the idea is really neat, would love to see a competent developer try to make something similar. I still havent played deus ex but i guess it would be similar to that
The way it was priced...poor men don't even buy it!
It was really smart of ubi to release it when they did, i honestly believe that if that launched this holiday it wouldve bombed, i think that game did so well is cause ppl were desperate for games on their next gen consoles

MattyG

Banned
Nevermind, gate attacking is for Attila. But torch throwing is still pretty crappy in Rome 2 vs every other option. Plus with how the torch projectile works you have to sorta throw a ton before they start working.

You might want to google and see some players playing R2 campaigns but basically what I noticed is assaulting a city you should do something like:

setup:
-line up ladders to where you think are the best points, try not to concentrate too much on one facing, but keep these ladder attacks close to reinforce easily. gates are gamble because of nearby towers at the gate but helps get your men in faster vs. regular wall segments that have very few points of entry/exit
-try to put your better general troops on the ladders, maybe another unit in reserve to back them up
-keep some skirmisher/missile troops with the ladders
-line up siege artillery if you have any

start battle, then:
-run missile troops up, have them in loose and fire at the men in the ramparts. prioritize other melee infantry. it won't usually kill a lot of them esp. if they are heavy armoured or shielded, but it will soften them up a bit. just expect to loose missile troops here, whatever
-run ladders up as you skirmish against men on the walls, skirmishers will screen missiles so your ladder troops don't get shot up or the ladders get fired/focused on by fire missiles
-let your troops duke it out on the walls; this is a grind so the better quality troop will win out usually. swords are better than spears on walls short of vast unit quality differences. you might have to reposition missile troops, get them firing at exposed flanks
-flank on the walls, which is why you want more ladders, so you can either sandwich defending troops on the walls to make them rout or you can use another unit or two to run around, capture the gate or towers to make life easier for you
-remember you can get off the walls at certain points of the wall in case you need to get down onto city level to maneuver/intercept
-when you have the gates or a breach in the walls, you can get the rest of the people in easier

You will still lose a considerable amount of men if you assault a city manually. Autoresolve is okay if you end up hating it after time. You really need to overwhelm the enemy or bring artillery if they have a big stack. That or sit there and lay siege and force them out into the field.
I'll try this on my next seige. Thanks so much for the help!

inm8num2

1.5 hours w/ Gods Will Be Watching. Original mode is just too difficult for me. Gonna have to downgrade to Original Light or Puzzle Mode.

I like what the game is doing, but I can understand why it turned people off.

Sober

The core idea of Watch_Dogs is interesting, it's just sort of bogged down by Ubisoft's formula for an openworld game.
Ubitower open world minimap vomit formula was the least of its problems IMO. Mechanically I didn't really enjoy much of the gameplay fundamental tenets, those weren't helped by the fact the controls were meh.

Also to me, felt like there was absolutely almost no thematic and mechanical connection in the game, so it just felt completely disconnected all the time. Not to mention the writing is really bad. Like AC3 is better written overall than WD. WD writing is probably tied for FC3 bad if we're comparing open world games. That's mostly what my LTTP is about, really. I could not care less about mechanical purity or the ubiworld formula nowadays.

This Ubitalk just reminded me that even the all-driving driving game the Crew had the Ubitower stuff in it. Because it's an open world game and they need that stuff. 'Course.

Ubisoft's audacity is unmatched.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
The Original Strife: Veteran Edition -- MB-6CCAADEB4719BB1D - Taken by PunishedSnake. 3 entrants total.
Z.A.R. -- MB-040BA6601AC95476 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
House of 1,000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster CE -- MB-6EA4A7F20CE0321A - Taken by fertygo. 3 entrants total.
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-941C9F66057FB11B - Taken by crazyrabbits. 2 entrants total.

t1442725425z1.png

Knurek

While we're still talking about anti-virus solutions, I gave the free editions of Panda and Bitdefender a whirl last week.
I wouldn't recommend Panda for a gaming PC - not sure what they are doing but the realtime shield has a severe performance loss while scanning any executable (.exe, .dll).
Like, when moving a directory containing an Unity game (which has 10+ dlls) the transfer speed from a SSD to another SSD would hover at 100 kB/s
Free Bitdefender has no exclusion options, so if it erroneously marks your game as a trojan, you will have no way to play it short of uninstalling the antivirus.
MSE+Common Sense all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom