• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
They might produce trash, but they publish a lot of great VNs.

Still animu, so it's still trash.

:p

But really, to each their own. I can't stand animoo for the most part, but I don't mind it too much, unless it's typical japanese misogynistic trite like Sakura. That shit needs to stop and really does not in any way deserve any kind of profit nor reward for their "efforts"
Ubitower open world minimap vomit formula was the least of its problems IMO. Mechanically I didn't really enjoy much of the gameplay fundamental tenets, those weren't helped by the fact the controls were meh.

Also to me, felt like there was absolutely almost no thematic and mechanical connection in the game, so it just felt completely disconnected all the time. Not to mention the writing is really bad. Like AC3 is better written overall than WD. WD writing is probably tied for FC3 bad if we're comparing open world games. That's mostly what my LTTP is about, really. I could not care less about mechanical purity or the ubiworld formula nowadays.

FC atleast had a villain that had some kickass writing with his dialogue.

And a kickass VA for that matter, but that's probably the only positives there.

Ozium

My Netscape keeps crashing when I try to surf a web that uses Java :[ I need to find a piece of clip art to import into Corel Draw Pro.

edit: on OS/2 Warp if that helps

Maniac

Banned
My Netscape keeps crashing when I try to surf a web that uses Java :[ I need to find a piece of clip art to import into Corel Draw Pro.

edit: on OS/2 Warp if that helps

clippy_is_an_asshole__autocorrect_by_titanaura-d4m2b6b.jpg

Here's some Clippy art

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I only skimmed through the last few pages but have we talked about this?

That's new.
That's not what's going on. The various lists on the front page are automatically generated and the bundle has been present since the game unlocked, plus the app page is still up and even if you limit your search to where the bundle is being displayed, the aggregate review status still shows.

There are two ways to escape reviews: either pull the app page but leave the sub up (review overviews aren't displayed on sub pages or Steam Community hubs, although the latter do contain the reviews themselves) or relaunch the game under a different app, however Konami hasn't done either... yet.

Edit: And it is actually a bundle. The DLC app isn't listed as an included item because it doesn't have a store page of its own.

Ozium

People are just so quick to jump on Konami because they are one of the few entities to stand up to Hideo's ego.

Such a lust for revenge.

Tizoc

People are just so quick to jump on Konami because they are one of the few entities to stand up to Hideo's ego.

Such a lust for revenge.

Konamisalami is hardly doing anything with their rich collection of IPs and series, that's a reason people rage on them, but this move of hiding the user ratings is silly and low on their part.

No matter how much they stood up against Hideo's ego, they still needed him at the time because he was their main money maker.

derExperte

The Konami defense force is disgusting. No wonder they have no money left, paying for GAF shills is expensive (at least if you're not Sony and can't get free volunteers).

Caerith

Such a lust for revenge.

Seriously. If it was up to Kojima, game developers wouldn't get valuable experience cleaning showers or being otherwise dehumanized.

Ozium

Konamisalami is hardly doing anything with their rich collection of IPs and series, that's a reason people rage on them, but this move of hiding the user ratings is silly and low on their part.

No matter how much they stood up against Hideo's ego, they still needed him at the time because he was their main money maker.

but this didn't happen. that's just what people want you to think because they want to make Konami into a villain.

Also they made Castlevania LOS2 not that long ago, and made that Mirror of Fate game as well.. I think they are garbage but I hear people like them.. Also Pro Evo Soccer just came out... So they use their franchises..

If you are wondering why they never released another Suikoden or something it's because that franchise doesn't sell well enough to justify the costs of making it. Do you expect them to make a sequel to Bayou Billy as well?

One of the reasons I hate Konami is because they're holding Hudson's stuff hostage.

Its like yea we purchased them because we didn't want anyone else to have them not because we wanted to actually do anything with the licenses.

:|

Tizoc

but this didn't happen. that's just what people want you to think because they want to make Konami into a villain.

Also they made Castlevania LOS2 not that long ago, and made that Mirror of Fate game as well.. I think they are garbage but I hear people like them.. Also Pro Evo Soccer just came out... So they use their franchises..
Aside from PES, what else have they done with their franchises after LoS2 and MoF HD?
If you are wondering why they never released another Suikoden or something it's because that franchise doesn't sell well enough to justify the costs of making it. Do you expect them to make a sequel to Bayou Billy as well?

On what basis do you say that Suikoden doesn't sell well enough to justify making a new one? They made 5 Suikoden games, and a new game in the series would do just fine, especially with S-E going about making a NIER 2, a new Star Ocean and a new Saga game
And that's to name a few titles.

FYI it's not like Konami is actually making 6 or so AAA games each year now, so a new Suikoden (for example) wouldn't really cost them a lot long as they manage the budget.
Hell make it for 3DS and with the right development it can be a good jRPG.

Jawmuncher

People seem to get forget how well off Konami is. They don't do just games. They also have mobile, hotel chains, and pachinko among other. They aren't capcom where they're just trying to save money. It's just a fact of they make more money woihout even needing to bother making games. Just the hard truth. Why do you think they can have good sales on MGSV and come right after and say "no more AAA games". Those ips are also going to stay with them, since they know the value of licensing them out without really having to spend their own money.

People seem to get forget how well off Konami is. They don't do just games. They also have mobile, hotel chains, and pachinko among other. They aren't capcom where they're just trying to save money. It's just a fact of they make more money woihout even needing to bother making games. Just the hard truth. Why do you think they can have good sales on MGSV and come right after and say "no more AAA games". Those ips are also going to stay with them, since they know the value of licensing them out without really having to spend their own money.

Yeah, I know. Eventually they'll have too much competition as they go after the gambling Japanese market as they aren't exactly early comers to it.

Harvest is the best Stand IMO.
Harvest is adorable. Part 6 has the best stands so far imo (in the middle of reading part 7, up to D4C arc atm) you can tell he had a lot of fun with just how creative part 6 stands are. Part 6 isnt my favorite part but i wish it got more love in games cause just how cool the stands are

Lain

Aside from PES, what else have they done with their franchises after LoS2 and MoF HD?

On what basis do you say that Suikoden doesn't sell well enough to justify making a new one? They made 5 Suikoden games, and a new game in the series would do just fine, especially with S-E going about making a NIER 2, a new Star Ocean and a new Saga game
And that's to name a few titles.

FYI it's not like Konami is actually making 6 or so AAA games each year now, so a new Suikoden (for example) wouldn't really cost them a lot long as they manage the budget.
Hell make it for 3DS and with the right development it can be a good jRPG.

Your problem is at the base. It's not it wouldn't cost much to make, it is how much could we make on using X budget on a new Suikoden vs using that same budget on a mobile game/pachinko/what-have-you and, obviously, a new Suikoden game loses every single time. It's not that with a reasonable budget it wouldn't be profitable, it's the fact that something else would be more profitable. They're supposedly leaving AAA console gaming for a reason.

I only skimmed through the last few pages but have we talked about this?

That's new.

Yeah, kinda.
I questioned the bundle earlier on the release day.

'Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 Digital Exclusive Bundle'
What's in the bundle? The game only.
What's the point of the bundle again?

So that's the true purpose of the bundle, huh?

Edit: And it is actually a bundle. The DLC app isn't listed as an included item because it doesn't have a store page of its own.

I think I kinda get it now.

Tizoc

Your problem is at the base. It's not it wouldn't cost much to make, it is how much could we make on using X budget on a new Suikoden vs using that same budget on a mobile game/pachinko/what-have-you and, obviously, a new Suikoden game loses every single time. It's not that with a reasonable budget it wouldn't be profitable, it's the fact that something else would be more profitable. They're supposedly leaving AAA console gaming for a reason.

True, but even still, and while I know this is unlikely but just humor it, a Suikoden game on mobile that is just a plain standard RPG with zilch IAP could be a good option to go for IMO.
Mobile as a platform isn't a bad thing, it's the IAP BS that is bad.

I do however, bring one counter argument: Capcom. They haven't really done very well with their mobile ventures and are doing fine, along with S-E, on the 3DS.

Hence a new Suikoden doesn't need to be numbered 6, it can have a subtitle and do fine.
I mean if it sells 100,000 units in Japan alone (which isn't impossible), that's generally considered good far as Japanese sales standards go from waht I've seen.

True, but even still, and while I know this is unlikely but just humor it, a Suikoden game on mobile that is just a plain standard RPG with zilch IAP could be a good option to go for IMO.

How do you figure? Listen, I'd love a new Suikoden just as much as the next gamer, but a full-length RPG on mobile would really have to offer something special in order to compete with the hordes of free-to-play games. Porting old Final Fantasy games on mobile can at least offer nostalgia. Putting a new Suikoden on mobile probably wouldn't turn a profit because it's not as well-known a franchise. And who would it please? Existing Suikoden fans? They'd just lament that it's not on console...or at the very least handheld (even though I don't think Tierkreis did all that well, either.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I kinda get it now.

I mean, there is the question of why the app dropped off the Popular New Releases list (I would assume it's a bug, similar to when FFXIII released and was nowhere to be seen in the Top Sellers list), but the only way Konami could actually "hide" it is by yanking it from the store.

Tizoc

How do you figure? Listen, I'd love a new Suikoden just as much as the next gamer, but a full-length RPG on mobile would really have to offer something special in order to compete with the hordes of free-to-play games. Porting old Final Fantasy games on mobile can at least offer nostalgia. Putting a new Suikoden on mobile probably wouldn't turn a profit because it's not as well-known a franchise. And who would it please? Existing Suikoden fans? They'd just lament that it's not on console...or at the very least handheld (even though I don't think Tierkreis did all that well, either.)

S-E are making a new Nier and SaGa games. Hypothetically, and if you would humor it, they could find a way to make it episodic so that your levels carry over, or have it be some 10-15 hour length RPG ala Mario and Luigi series.
Familiarity with the series is not that important as promoting it and for spreading word of mouth.

I am aware that the original author of the stories left Konami a long time ago, but even then a good well written story with good characterization can a game stand out on its own.

Knurek

I do however, bring one counter argument: Capcom. They haven't really done very well with their mobile ventures and are doing fine, along with S-E, on the 3DS.

Can you really call a company that can't afford a single AAA game on their own as doing fine?

Jawmuncher

Can you really call a company that can't afford a single AAA game on their own as doing fine?

Maybe they just haven't shown us their AAA title yet. I still think RE7 is going to be on everything and won't be exclusive. Though obviously there's still a chance of that happening.

Tizoc

Define 'doing fine'?
Do we really actually care if they do fine?
Does it really matter where the money comes from long as they make the games that interest the consumer?

They got like half a dozen MonHun games releasing soon, they've got 2 RE remake games coming in the pipeline, SF5 is set to be a big seller for them, and a main Ace Attorney game is releasing in 2016.

As long as the games come out, do we really care all that much about their financials?

Parsnip

While we're still talking about anti-virus solutions, I gave the free editions of Panda and Bitdefender a whirl last week.
I wouldn't recommend Panda for a gaming PC - not sure what they are doing but the realtime shield has a severe performance loss while scanning any executable (.exe, .dll).
Like, when moving a directory containing an Unity game (which has 10+ dlls) the transfer speed from a SSD to another SSD would hover at 100 kB/s
Free Bitdefender has no exclusion options, so if it erroneously marks your game as a trojan, you will have no way to play it short of uninstalling the antivirus.
MSE+Common Sense all the way.

I don't have such issues with Panda.
I also don't have an issue where Windows Aero gimps Witcher 3 performance from 60 to 30 fps.

Just saying.

Ludens

Banned
I don't have such issues with Panda.
I also don't have an issue where Windows Aero gimps Witcher 3 performance from 60 to 30 fps.

Just saying.

Same for me. I had Panda on 8.1, I installed 10, never had a problem even with demanding games like Witcher 3. Performances are exactly the same with Panda on.

abracadaver

Don't need these:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Humble Total War Bundle 1$ Tier -- MB-5AB7DCE59BA7E167 - Taken by PunishedSnake. 1 entrants total.
Humble Total War BTA Tier -- MB-034E4469D015E3F5 - Taken by BernardoOne. 9 entrants total.

t1442755546z1.png

1$ Tier is Shogun: Total War Collection, Medieval II: Total War Collection, Viking: Battle for Asgard and Total War: ARENA Beta Access Key

BTA is Empire: Total War Collection and MEDIEVAL: Total War Collection

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-24539C808CEDA42E - Taken by Tektonic

Chariot

The user reviews on Steam are fairly good, but there is no PC Gaming Wiki page. Was curious how the port turned out.
Runs perfect for me. Although it keeps forgetting the resolution I entered last time I played. You wanna some screenshots of the option menus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom