• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing it many times in the Compucentre as a kid and never really wanting to go for it, even though it looked interesting, and then forgetting about it for a while, then hearing how it was this great underrated game that almost nobody played, its being legally unavailable for ages, its finally getting remastered, and my being able to play and complete it for the first time... now I can say that Grim Fandango really is one of the best point and click adventures, and I've played a bunch. Enjoyed it from start to finish. It was worth the wait.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Welp AVG is gone and Panda is now installed. Thanks for the heads up guys. Also running my PC without AV felt like a fresh PC install, where everything was fast and wonderful. Im contemplating removing all AV from my living room gaming PC since i dont really browse the web there. I have adblock plus, ghostery and disable flash so that should help with most things.

Locust

Eset Smart Security is a pretty good antivirus + firewall combo. It's paid, but there's a free beta that runs until December.
Not about to start paying for this kinda stuff, but if I did this would be the only one worth it. Honestly gonna feel pretty bad when it expires, because I don't want to go back to the shit I used before.

Panda doesn't have a free firewall I guess? Don't like Comodo and Windows Firewall doesn't block outgoing stuff so its not good enough.

Eila

Just make Sekai Project a steam publisher already.I don't understand why they have to go through greenlight about 15 times.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
[/URL]I got lucky and a friend hooked me up with a premium package.
>_>
<_<

I had the premium version of AVG and still decided to uninstall it to dissuade corporations from pulling this kind of shit. Not saying you need to do the same, but if they're willing to do this kind of stuff in their free product (and presumably get away with it) then it's only a matter of time...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
After seeing it many times in the Compucentre as a kid and never really wanting to go for it, even though it looked interesting, and then forgetting about it for a while, then hearing how it was this great underrated game that almost nobody played, its being legally unavailable for ages, its finally getting remastered, and my being able to play and complete it for the first time... now I can say that Grim Fandango really is one of the best point and click adventures, and I've played a bunch. Enjoyed it from start to finish. It was worth the wait.

Only a handful of true "Moon Logic" puzzles to get in the way, which lets the characters, dialog and imaginative setting take you along. Ol' Manny might have killed the PnC Adventure Game off for a while, but that's just because nobody else thought they could follow up that act.

I had the premium version of AVG and still decided to uninstall it to dissuade corporations from pulling this kind of shit. Not saying you need to do the same, but if they're willing to do this kind of stuff in their free product (and presumably get away with it) then it's only a matter of time...
That is probably a good way of "protesting" policies like that. Not a fan myself but what can I say, after unsuccessfully trying to jump ship to Bitdefender once, I am in no mood at all to try out other stuff. Laziness wins :/

Sarcasm

Just started xcom enemy unknown and choose a base in Africa cause extra money a month sounds like a solid choice.

Than I get dumped into the game and I really have no clue, anybody have any tips?

Sober

Just started xcom enemy unknown and choose a base in Africa cause extra money a month sounds like a solid choice.

Than I get dumped into the game and I really have no clue, anybody have any tips?
You probably should play the tutorial. It gets you started with everything more or less.

Dsyndrome

Officially done with the third dark souls 2 dlc. What an adventure.

All that's left is darklurker.....
I died so many times that I cleared out the area leading to her. Hardest boss in the game for me by far, took a week or two after I had already beaten the base game.

Debating between playing that or W3 tonight. Meant to earlier but college football got in the way.

Maniac

Banned
Panda
Spybot 2 (weekly manual scans)
Malware Bytes( weekly manual scans)
Hijackthis (monthly scans)
Adwcleaner
uMatrix for Chrome
Ghostery for Chrome

I'd recommend Malware Bytes' Anti-Exploit, it protects your browsers from a number of security holes in realtime. It's really nifty.

Also, having a copy of Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware Chameleon (which hides itself as other installers, like firefox.exe) on a thumb drive is always a great idea. Solid list other than those two suggestions. :>
Also, combine with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and possibly Anti-Exploit
Hell yes, MBytes 4 lyfe
Welp AVG is gone and Panda is now installed. Thanks for the heads up guys. Also running my PC without AV felt like a fresh PC install, where everything was fast and wonderful. Im contemplating removing all AV from my living room gaming PC since i dont really browse the web there. I have adblock plus, ghostery and disable flash so that should help with most things.
I'd definitely recommend the MBytes anti exploit & anti malware, and perhaps a few extra from Bernardo's list (SpyBot is a great tool!) for protection from all angles. Not sure about a few of Bernardos, but SpyBot and Malwarebytes' stuff is all very low on the resource useage, so that's always good.

Caerith

If it's your first time, I hope you're playing on Easy. Other than that, your early focus should be on getting satellite coverage over every nation-- ideally before the first council report. Once you've got that, get a Raven on every continent, then eventually replace them with a Firestorm on every continent, and you can pretty much take your time from there.

Maniac

Banned
Eset Smart Security is a pretty good antivirus + firewall combo. It's paid, but there's a free beta that runs until December.
Not about to start paying for this kinda stuff, but if I did this would be the only one worth it. Honestly gonna feel pretty bad when it expires, because I don't want to go back to the shit I used before.

Panda doesn't have a free firewall I guess? Don't like Comodo and Windows Firewall doesn't block outgoing stuff so its not good enough.

I've not tried Eset, but from everything I've tried, Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware has thé best paid version out there. I got in before they started doing a subscription-based thing (which might not be the only thing available?) but regardless, I have a life-time key, and I'll be damned if their realtime protection and antimalware (plus browser protection, protecting from malware-riddled sites) and protection from unknown and uncert'd IPs is anything short of fucking amazing.

Anastasia

I'd recommend Malware Bytes' Anti-Exploit, it protects your browsers from a number of security holes in realtime. It's really nifty.

Yeah I recommend this too. I use it along with Kaspersky Internet Security. Then Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for occasional scanning.

God I sound so nerdy right now.

Sch1sm

Thanks for letting me know. Upvoted. :p (Sorry, Leaf and Chariot, not really. :p)

Why support this trash? Why. Whyyyyy. Perpetuating Sakura ___ is the wrong thing to do for this community. </3

----

Finished GoT Episodes 2 and 3 this evening. Needs more bloodshed and sex, less chatting. I'm not look in forward to 4 simply because Danaerys.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I totally forgot that I said I was going to host Quiplash tonight.

If anyone wants to play for an hour or so, I'll be streaming here.

Hopefully we'll get to use some DLC questions.

If we don't get enough people, we'll just do one next week.

EDIT: Nvm, I'll just host one next week instead of having such an impromptu gamenight

Maniac

Banned
I totally forgot that I said I was going to host Quiplash tonight.

If anyone wants to play for an hour or so, I'll be streaming here.

Hopefully we'll get to use some DLC questions.

If we don't get enough people, we'll just do one next week.

EDIT: Nvm, I'll just host one next week instead of having such an impromptu gamenight

What time is it usually? I'd love to join in next week, but it'd likely have to be earlier than 4 AM here :p...

Sarcasm

You probably should play the tutorial. It gets you started with everything more or less.

just tried it, why does it limit you to NA or EU?

If it's your first time, I hope you're playing on Easy. Other than that, your early focus should be on getting satellite coverage over every nation-- ideally before the first council report. Once you've got that, get a Raven on every continent, then eventually replace them with a Firestorm on every continent, and you can pretty much take your time from there.

Well I started on Normal. /flex

Sch1sm

Fun fact: GoT reviews can also double as speed-dating feedback.

Very kinky feedback. Follow at your own risk. Viewers discretion is advised.

Honestly, though, that is the bulk of the show. I do get why they'd focus more on "story" here, as irrelevant as some of it may seem when you're a fan of the show (and haven't bothered with the novels).
Like how much are The Forresters really mentioned aside from this game? Barely.
With the options given, however, I'm starting to wonder if there really is any choice to this. I'll replay the episodes again later, like I did with 1 only to find that no matter what some things just can't be avoided at all. More like a movie than a game. I'm enjoying it despite that, but probably only because I'm a fan.

Caerith

just tried it, why does it limit you to NA or EU?

Well I started on Normal. /flex
Tutorial probably limits you to those two because their bonuses are a reduction in upkeep costs, and starting players will have trouble with money. (Why not Africa? Because starting players will probably have trouble keeping nations.) My guess, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom