• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Hmm, I'll try to focus on story missions for now.
I've been focusing on driving to every point on the map and collecting stuff. Its like AssCreed collecting stuff to pad the game. You can collect upgrades to build like water tower or gas reserve for your stronghold. Its monotonous, but I guess part of me enjoy a bit of that.

I wish the POV was wider though. Its too narrow when you're on foot. An enemy can lunge at you from behind, break your combo and you would never see it coming.
----
Zestiria comes on in a month and last I checked, it was at 37%. I think we might make it guys.

Tizoc

I've been focusing on driving to every point on the map and collecting stuff. Its like AssCreed collecting stuff to pad the game. You can collect upgrades to build like water tower or gas reserve for your stronghold. Its monotonous, but I guess part of me enjoy a bit of that.

I wish the POV was wider though. Its too narrow when you're on foot. An enemy can lunge at you from behind, break your combo and you would never see it coming.
----
Zestiria comes on in a month and last I checked, it was at 37%. I think we might make it guys.

I'll make my purchase of it in due time, but get it off a trader.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Riot Games made more profit with their MGS V inspired skins in LoL than Konami did with MGS V.

Meh, the figures on MGSV have been really weird.

You have to take into account that they built an engine that is fully functional on 5 platforms and the costs associated with the development of that engine, which is now in use with the PES games and future pachinko ventures.

Then there's the fact that MGSV was split into at least two parts with Ground Zeroes and TPP. Ground Zeroes alone sold into the millions and that's not counting the PC version (of which the numbers are now kinda screwed up in Steamspy thanks to it being free with TPP steam preorder) and Sony and Microsoft also paying for the game to appear on PS+/GwG.

Then you have the online MP which isn't out but you know some fools are going to buy their waifus some sort of hot skin and they'll sucker people into getting some maps for that.

Considering all of that, the engine development wouldn't be seen as such a big loss had they continued AAA development, so it would've been used with Silent Hills and any possible other games in the future. They would've saved money in the long run in the same way Capcom was doing fine with their MT Framework for a while there until they bungled it with the Panty Raid engine. Then, you have Ground Zeroes having done really well for a paid demo and now TPP, which seems to be a frontrunner for GOTY and has the strongest WoM I've seen out of a game since maybe Red Dead Redemption, likely to sell decently enough by any measure.

It's really an issue with how the accounting is being done by Konami and what their expectations are. And given that Kojima and Konami have quite a bit of bad blood between them I can imagine a scenario where the game is in the black but konami wouldn't even mention it outside of an small section in an earnings report because A) they do not want to look stupid in the eyes of their investors for having abandoned AAA development and have gone almost exclusively mobile coming off a huge AAA success and B) to make it appear as if Kojima was a monster and a money pit to make their transition to mobile appear more sound while also shitting on Kojima while he's a free agent because they're a pretty petty bunch.

I just got to the
Quarantine
part of MGS5.

This sounds like it's going to be tedious and shitty.

oh boy its annoying, i realized what it was pretty quickly too, quite proud of myself that I was right too :p but yea it took me a solid 5 minutes after I realized what it was to rearrange everything

Eila

Was Umihara Kawase's steam page linked yet?
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378750/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_4
More older Umihara Kawase games coming in due time as well :3

Hmm I have it on 3DS, but HD + 60 fps is too good. We also have to see how's the port. If the steam page is to be believed, it was done in-house.

I've been fairly patient with the Yoyogames website this week because of how much load they must be experiencing due to the humble bundle but it's starting to get rather annoying now. It seems fairly clear that they have no intention of upgrading the site to meet the increased demand (even if it is temporary). Furthermore they are using tricks to fool customers into reducing the load and their entire process for just registering keys is absurd. For the most part people have either been unable to access the site or create accounts or login to those accounts or redeem the keys from the bundle. After trying for days I finally managed to do all that and when the key finally gets redeemed (and recognized) the site tells you that it's been accepted and they will let you know when the license is registered. Been waiting on that for the last 8 hours or so.

And all of this could have been mitigated by just distributing Steam keys in the first place. It's safe to assume that they don't actually want to give Steam keys (give away a second copy of their software for nothing?!) and they'll only do so to people who will jump through all the hoops they can put up to get the key.

Deitus

I feel like it needs to be pointed out that this article is wholly sourced by a Forbes contributer, even though this article says "Forbes reports". Considering GAF mods will immediately title edit threads from Forbes contributes (in humorous ways) on account of the fact that they don't have the same journalistic standards as Forbes proper, this needs to be stressed.

As for the Forbes article, it's a bit questionable. It is using EA's figures for marketing spending as indications of how much Konami spent on marketing, and it doesn't factor digital sales at all. Also, those sales figures are week 1 sales (not even, the article was published 5 days after the game released), and while game sales are often quite front loaded, they usually continue to sell well in the first few weeks as word of mouth spreads, and get another large bump during the holiday season.

Also, if the $80 million figure being referenced is the full cost of the game development, including development of the engine, then surely the sales of Ground Zeroes would offset some of those costs. For that matter, 80 million isn't even a ton of money compared to other AAA games. Hell, the Witcher 3 cost about that much.

I'm not saying it's unlikely that Phantom Pain has not yet turned a profit, or that it isn't possible that it might never produce a return on investment for Konami that justifies the initial investment (though I suspect it will at least break even by the end of the year). I just don't think we should hold up that article as evidence of anything, when it is basically speculation.

Considering all of that, the engine development wouldn't be seen as such a big loss had they continued AAA development, so it would've been used with Silent Hills and any possible other games in the future.

Also this. The Fox Engine was supposed to be used in Konami games going forward, they wouldn't have known at the time of developing it that Konami was getting out of AAA development, and they would have expected future releases to offset engine development costs, so it's not surprising the development cost is somewhat lopsided.

Jawmuncher

There's some BS difficulty spikes already in Wolfenstein The Old Blood and i'm on normal difficulty. Who thought it was a good idea to put you on a boat with no health and have both rockets and machine guns coming at you?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So, I just beat Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition. Maybe I should say "beat" since I only did it in Devil Hunter mode with Dante/Nero. I liked the congratulations screen; "You're not just some casual gamer!" Thank you for noticing, game. You're going to make me blush.

Kind of a weird title, right? Weird, as in, it felt like it was cobbled together from spare Resident Evil assets and DMC game prototypes and padded out with lots of repetition. I had fun, but it was disappointing how sparse it ended up being. I think I would have preferred it being the more traditional style of a single character with variety introduced by weapons and items rather than more characters.

Did Nero end up being a prototype for DmC's Dante? I haven't played it, but man. I did not care for his generic angsty shtick. I feel like I've seen that character in every Anime, Manga and JRPG ever. Dante's goofy nonsense was refreshing by contrast. I could have gone for an entire plot justified by a pizza run over that cookie cutter fluff. Your genre being known for it's disposable plots should be an excuse to go off the rails or something. Oh well.

I'd try to say something meaningful about the combat, but I don't think I'm qualified. Ultimately I think I end up having enjoyed Bayonetta and Revengeance more. Maybe DMC1 too, but it's been so long. I recall them as being more fun and maybe slightly less frustrating.

So, two thumbs up. Not all the way up, though.

sprinkles

im going to play so many short games after MGSV

like so many
After 70 hours I'm feeling the MGSV fatigue too. I will be happy to finally end my time with the game after I finish farming
the 100k+ fuel resources I still need
. No small games for me to return to, half finished Witcher 3 and FarCry 4 are waiting.

Jawmuncher

I have a sneaking suspicion my HDD might be dying. I have a lot of random pauses in the last two games I have played, and had issues unpacking awhile back. Right now this is what i'm seeing with Crystal Disk. I'd rather take care of this now than later where I get to a point where I can't even backup. What exactly should I be looking for in terms of HDDs? I know everyong is going to say get an SDD but those are just too expensive for the space I like to have.

hddbns10.png

I have a sneaking suspicion my HDD might be dying. I have a lot of random pauses in the last two games I have played, and had issues unpacking awhile back. Right now this is what i'm seeing with Crystal Disk. I'd rather take care of this now than later where I get to a point where I can't even backup. What exactly should I be looking for in terms of HDDs? I know everyong is going to say get an SDD but those are just too expensive for the space I like to have.

hddbns10.png

Isn't it a bit too hot? I never had an HDD run at those temps, but maybe I'm wrong.

After 70 hours I'm feeling the MGSV fatigue too. I will be happy to finally end my time with the game after I finish farming
the 100k+ fuel resources I still need
. No small games for me to return to, half finished Witcher 3 and FarCry 4 are waiting.

wait, im getting mixed signals. I just finished episode 43.

without spoileries, does the true ending happen after episode
or not?

because i have people telling me yeah you'll have seen the end after the episode is over and you listen to the tapes but then i hear some stuff about farming and grinding and i'm like so which one is it

tuxfool

Banned

or not?

because i have people telling me yeah you'll have seen the end after the episode is over and you listen to the tapes but then i hear some stuff about farming and grinding and i'm like so which one is it

Just do it. You certainly get the impression that 46 is the ending. Whether it makes any impression worthy of an ending depends on you.

You should also do side op 150 and ep45.

or not?

The true ending is that episode that you said. Then,
you have the truth tapes as well (unlocked after ep46)
The other stuff is unconfirmed.

Anastasia

or not?

You're pretty much at the end at that point.

sprinkles

I was told mission 46 only unlocks
with a fully upgraded Mother Base, is that not correct? I am on mission 47 now with 45 and 46 not unlocked yet

Kaleinc

Banned
So, I just beat Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition. Maybe I should say "beat" since I only did it in Devil Hunter mode with Dante/Nero. I liked the congratulations screen; "You're not just some casual gamer!" Thank you for noticing, game. You're going to make me blush.

Kind of a weird title, right? Weird, as in, it felt like it was cobbled together from spare Resident Evil assets and DMC game prototypes and padded out with lots of repetition. I had fun, but it was disappointing how sparse it ended up being. I think I would have preferred it being the more traditional style of a single character with variety introduced by weapons and items rather than more characters.

Did Nero end up being a prototype for DmC's Dante? I haven't played it, but man. I did not care for his generic angsty shtick. I feel like I've seen that character in every Anime, Manga and JRPG ever. Dante's goofy nonsense was refreshing by contrast. I could have gone for an entire plot justified by a pizza run over that cookie cutter fluff. Your genre being known for it's disposable plots should be an excuse to go off the rails or something. Oh well.

I'd try to say something meaningful about the combat, but I don't think I'm qualified. Ultimately I think I end up having enjoyed Bayonetta and Revengeance more. Maybe DMC1 too, but it's been so long. I recall them as being more fun and maybe slightly less frustrating.

So, two thumbs up. Not all the way up, though.
If you don't at least beat campaign with Vergil there was no point playing SE. Nero/Dante have been out there for 8 years.

Anastasia

with a fully upgraded Mother Base, is that not correct? I am on mission 47 now with 45 and 46 not unlocked yet

I unlocked it without having that. The game basically forced me to do side ops after a certain point, since I had focused so much on doing the story missions, and then eventually the later episodes started opening up for me.

Grief.exe

Gsync is an essential requirement for some of these Early Access games.

DayZ still runs rather poorly while they shift resources to a new engine and Reign of Kings would dip into the 20's quite frequently, but Gsync keeps the gameplay as smooth as possible.

I can still tell the games are below 60, but it's not as immediately apparent as without Gsync. I've actually been running MGSV and The Witcher 3 as around 50-55 FPS because the 970 just isn't cutting it at 1440p.

Nillansan

Gsync is an essential requirement for some of these Early Access games.

DayZ still runs rather poorly while they shift resources to a new engine and Reign of Kings would dip into the 20's quite frequently, but Gsync keeps the gameplay as smooth as possible.

I can still tell the games are below 60, but it's not as immediately apparent as without Gsync. I've actually been running MGSV and The Witcher 3 as around 50-55 FPS because the 970 just isn't cutting it at 1440p.

2016 will be the year I build a new rig and buy a GSync monitor to go along with it.

Not true at all.
i still had to build 6 facilities in my base and i got that mission. Just do some Side ops and stuff.

Coreda

I've actually been running MGSV and The Witcher 3 as around 50-55 FPS because the 970 just isn't cutting it at 1440p.

I couldn't bring my self to lowering the settings enough for 1440p so I run TW3 at 1920x1200. The extra vertical is needed imo if using 1:1 image scaling at that size.

What exactly should I be looking for in terms of HDDs? I know everyong is going to say get an SDD but those are just too expensive for the space I like to have.

Buy a Western Digital, avoid Seagate. Either clone / do an image backup and restore it to the new drive or re-install Windows and copy files over with something fast like a GUI for RoboCopy.

Turfster

What exactly should I be looking for in terms of HDDs? I know everyong is going to say get an SDD but those are just too expensive for the space I like to have.

is this your only drive?
If so, get a small (64gig) SSD for your OS and other stuff that needs the speed, and then get a bigger data drive for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom