• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
I finally bought a new PC last week, and then I spent the weekend building it and installing the OS, a few programs and Steam (copied the games from my previous rig so as to avoid downloading them again).

What I didn't get is a mechanical keyboard. They are very expensive, and I didn't feel comfortable with buying one without knowing how it feels. Who knows, once I'm done paying all of this maybe it couldn't hurt to get one. Upgrading the 3TB drives is also another option for the future, but for now it's fine. Need to get some speakers too, though I'd need to buy a new desk first and rearrange my room, as there's currently no way it could fit since I'm also keeping my old PC there.

Those of you who praised the speed of SSDs weren't kidding: this PC goes from 0 to desktop in less than 10 seconds. It's disgustingly fast and it scares me. Plus Chrome, the Office applications and basically everything else take half a second to launch and be responsive. I'm using it just for Windows, non-gaming software and Guild Wars 2. Regarding the "old school" drives, I decided not to put them in RAID 0 after reading several articles and forum posts advicing against it on the internet; instead I went with one drive for games and the other for everything else (documents, videos, music, downloads, all that stuff).

Yeah, I know the location's all messed up, but there's nowhere else to put it at the moment. I'll find somewhere more comfortable one of these days.

Sexy specs man. Congrats! And I would totally recommend a mechanical, but you're right that it's hard to justify without having tried it. I'd recommend trying to go to an electronics store and see what they have on display, the different keys really do differ quite a lot in feel and audio. Some swear by Cherry Reds, some by Blues, some by Browns, so it's hard to really know without trying it out.

And hey, as long as it's not on the floor sucking up tons of dust, it's all good! Even if it's awkwardly placed. ;)
Yeah now we understand why they showed Hideo the door. It needs 5-6 millions to turn a profit. Ouch.

Even with that much money and development time the game feels incomplete and much of the missions feel like padding. Go rescue this guy that has nothing to do with the story or tail this weapon dealer.

Yeah. Hideo really isn't a good producer, so I'm not sure why they let him do anything and everything he wanted budget wise for so long. He's always been very careless, and now it cost him his job and what could've been his best game yet. Coulda been the Mona Lisa, instead we got some dude splattering paint everywhere with his butt-cheeks.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

WTF IS GOING ON HERE ?

CPbyXPwUcAADOFk.jpg

CPbyYBHVEAEyd-S.jpg

rdxer.jpg

Coreda

It's a pity WD doesn't offer an alternative to this. I desperately need it. I may even buy two, just in case the AUD falls even further and the price goes up.

I see that 80Mb down ain't stopping for no silly red bars.

Considering it looks like most of the data is downloads you could go with the Seagate if it's the better price-to-capacity and perhaps keep the other as a backup (or some of the existing drives).

hello, today's my birthday so here are some presents
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

toki tori -- MB-5A6D75E174A95551 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
Party Hard -- MB-A1049813F3A594F3 - Taken by FLD. 31 entrants total.
rush -- MB-0A63A7ED877E0CC2 - Taken by septicore. 3 entrants total.
bloodbath kavkaz -- MB-09EA900892536C29 - Taken by Saty. 10 entrants total.
toki tori 2+ -- MB-9B95BA407FF2CF99 - Taken by Spirited. 2 entrants total.
toki tori 2+ -- MB-16FF8B0186A947F4 - Taken by Nyteshade517. 2 entrants total.
gunworld -- MB-B71A0C085FF95D81 - Taken by anastef. 3 entrants total.
glass wing -- MB-411F81DADE6E7478 - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
it came from space and ate our brains -- MB-71986F7B69F50927 - Taken by ExoSoul. 5 entrants total.
toki tori -- MB-9B84D011F89FF79C - Taken by Madn. 5 entrants total.
edge -- MB-B25F8D98B5B8FAB4 - Taken by Arren. 5 entrants total.
Screencheat -- MB-5A1DBBEC0823705A - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 5 entrants total.
zombi zoeds -- MB-E8B949720BAEF6A4 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
you are not a banana -- MB-E727ABED7C911FE7 - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 2 entrants total.
gynophobia -- MB-BA147A01FA9D490D - Taken by Anastasia. 6 entrants total.
monster jam battlegrounds -- MB-EACCED483E9ACCB9 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 8 entrants total.

t1442867991z1.png

Coreda

you cant be recommending seagate

only buy seagate if you enjoy hardware failures

I wasn't, follow the quotes. However the Seagate offers the better capacity/price for JaseC's needs and considering most of the data being stored appears to be (likely) replaceable downloads it's not a bad idea picking one up and an extra for redundancy (unless they both fail, in which case yea, but the stats aren't that bad).

Bottom line is everyone should have backups anyway.

Maniac

Banned
Argh. I entered a contest for Mad Max before the game came out, but I bought it a day after release anyways. Completely forgot until I got an e-mail today with a key, saying I won.

:|

Give it 'ere yo.

I'm hella mad and I wish my name was max.

Allison Road KS! GET HYPE!

... I have $2 in my bank account. Fuck.

hello, today's my birthday so here are some presents

Happy birthday!

Some stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freedom Fall -- MB-FE104DC835EB8A35 - Taken by Hektor. 2 entrants total.
8-Bit Adventures -- MB-356B96A774F81F14 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Eradicator -- MB-16F72522194B67CB - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Zafehouse: Diaries -- MB-08CEB2F01A1C34EB - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Bermuda -- MB-ACC1B83CED525893 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Blade Kitten -- MB-0826363DE0BCABA3 - Taken by Se7enSword. 2 entrants total.
Metro Last Light -- MB-786A4D58CEFE1029 - Taken by Anastasia. 5 entrants total.
Once Bitten, Twice Dead! -- MB-D781AD7E21D76CE6 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.

t1442859591z1.png

dex3108

First off, a reminder that the Gun Mettle campaign is ending (the last new contracts drop September 30th), so if you want to complete those contracts you'd better get to work. Speaking of getting to work, the TF2 team is busy putting together the next major update, which should be out by the end of the year. It'll feature new maps, cosmetics, and a new campaign with contracts and weapon collections. We’re also working on things like competitive matchmaking, perf, balance improvements and moving Mannpower Mode out of beta with a new map.

Sharp-eyed readers may have noticed that there’s something missing from that list: Halloween. The reality is, if we produce a holiday-specific event map this year, it means we'll have to stop working on everything else. So: We’ve decided to turn Halloween mostly over to you. This year’s Halloween Update will be a showcase of all the best Halloween-themed community content (items, maps, taunts and unusuals) you guys can come up with. We’ll also be activating every one of our past six Halloween Updates, so there'll still be plenty of spooky holiday-themed game modes to play.

Over the next month we’ll be looking through the Workshop for anything tagged “Halloween”, so if you’ve been working on an item you think would be perfect, make sure you get it submitted and tagged before October 18th, 2015.

Plus, if you didn’t already have enough incentive to submit to the Workshop, we’re changing our restrictions on Halloween items this year. Normally they’re only visible to players on Halloween and full moons. This year, all newly selected Halloween-themed items will have NO restrictions put on them, and may be viewed year round. (So don't get too gross or out-there with your submissions.)

Well, back to work! We’ve been incorporating plenty of great community feedback from our last update, so the next one should be even better.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=18409

Purkake4

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fearless Fantasy -- MB-04E2176C7560B376 - Taken by GaussTek. 7 entrants total.

t1442869911z1.png

squadr0n

So after finishing MGSV ive been really itching to load up Deus Ex HR again and check out the new changes in the Director's Cut. Every time I download it, Steam says I cant play because of a Disk Write Error. Now this only happens with Dues Ex, I can install any other game fine no matter which drive. I checked for any errors and optimized both drives just in case and tried downloading again and still have the same error. Does anyone have any advice for what im doing wrong or should try? This is seriously pissing me off. Having to download 15 gigs isnt exactly with my cap.

The crowdfund for Them Fighting Herds is now up with the goal at 436,000.

Early Bird (If it's still up) is at 12 dollars for the digital game. 15 after that.

The concept with this is kinda funny: "We can't make a pony game, so we'll use original characters from the original creator instead (that looks exactly like the ponies)" :p

Totally hooked on MGSV. Maybe my open world game of the year? So far played it for 21 hours.

Elite Dangerous is 40% off. Worth it?

Keep in mind that there's a full priced expansion coming soon that will include the base game. If you buy the base game just now you will either have to buy the expansion or make do without the new content. And the base game has been widely criticized for being shallow and lacking content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm pretty sure neither of these have been used:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 1 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (jshackles, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Dungeon Defenders II -- MB-2C6F97D85CC1A59B - Taken by Spirited
PGP3OVL.png
The Witcher 2 (GOG) -- MB-987F33C09D8395C4

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Those who've purchased R6 Siege's Gold Edition should be given access to the Technical Test.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Port begging thread.

Well portbegging isn't allowed because they derail threads, right?
and this thread isn't derailing anything as the thread is all about the port beg.

Well not like the mods really ban people for it in PC exclusive game threads eitherway(Looking at you xcom 2 threads)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Was Umihara Kawase's steam page linked yet?
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378750/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_4
More older Umihara Kawase games coming in due time as well :3

I'm so glad that this game is being released on PC.

Hopefully the release date for Original Sin's enhanced edition won't interfere with this. I remember reading somewhere that it was supposed to launch in late October.

Adnor

Banned
I thought port begging was only a problem if it derails a thread or if it doesn't makes sense like asking for a first party exclusive port. I'm pretty sure there were threads asking for a Dragons Dogma PC port.

Happy birthday, Widdly Scuds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom